Onyx Brands Employee Reviews

You don't need this headache.
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARMay 10, 2019
This is a family run organization with so much dysfunction. The drama is worse than high school. Most people that work here are so busy trying to get a pat on the back from "the family" that they will you throw you under the boss with a smile on their face. The only thing that you will have in common with co-workers is that you are all looking for another job and betting how long it takes people to jump ship. The most important advice is don't trust anyone. Every word you say can and will be used behind your back. There is zero room for advancement and no such thing as promotions either. The owner is great but it would take a team of owners to fix the underlying sadness and lack of support here.
Pros
Work is easy, hours are predictable, and it's hard to get fired.
Cons
You'll spend most of what little they pay you on self medicating.
Great Working Environment
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARApril 16, 2019
I have worked at Onyx Brands for almost 2 years now and I have loved my experience here. As a graphic designer my days are always different, which I love because it challenges my creativity and always has my brain thinking of new products. There is no typical day at work, we are always preparing for new brands, advertisements, overseeing production, etc. We are able to see an idea go from conception, present to buyers, go through production and see it on shelves. It gives you a great deal of pride seeing your first product on shelves and motivates you to bring your best for other items.
The workplace can be very stressful. It is a very fast paced industry so you have to always be on your best and always managing your time. It does take a certain person to do the jobs here, no one can just jump in and know how to do the jobs or understand the industry. We have great training now set up though so that way you can jump right in to the projects going on.
I love this job and don't think I will ever leave. I have had great experiences here, multiple job advancements, travel, benefits and have really been blessed. I encourage anyone reading to at least interview. Interview and ask any questions if you are doubtful about anything, we are very open and honest about what goes on.
Pros
travel, benefits, vacation days, free lunches
Cons
stressful days occasionally
Traumatizing
Billing Specialist/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARMarch 20, 2019
Stay far away. Very far away. Management has unrealistic expectations. Good people with hard work ethic taken are disrespected, taken advantage of and driven out.
Run away
Different ones (Former Employee) –  Nlr, ARFebruary 27, 2019
Save yourself a lot of time and grief. You'll be handed a SOP and be expected to learn your job in a couple of weeks and everytime you mess up you'll be yelled at by management or get ugly berating emails. Expect to work 10 hours a day. I was the 40th person to walk out the door from either being fired or quiting in less than a year. I walked out after being yelled at all day.
Pros
Pay is decent. Co workers were great
Cons
Hardly any training, management likes to berate the employees
High Turnover Rate
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARDecember 6, 2018
If you can live up to unrealistic expectations with no training then I say go for it. It's sink or tread water at onyx. It's very hard to succeed or get any praise. There is a cleaning lady but you're still expected to clean.
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, harsh comments, condescending
No job security
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARSeptember 16, 2018
Belittling of associates and making them cry, fear of not knowing if you will have a job one day to the next, a turn over rate of 35 full time employees and countless contract employees within a 12 month period is astonishing. Overworked graphic artist.
There is no company work ethic here. It's sink or swim for anyone that walks in that door. Any review that you have read about the company or product reviews is all true.
Pros
There is a great creative team
Cons
Turn over rate of employees-
revolving door. long hours
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJuly 9, 2018
very long hours working multiple positions, because of
revolving door of employees
consistent in annual reviews but not in sufficient pay for duties assigned
Pros
challenging and creative
Cons
very long hours working short staffed.
Difficult to please upper management
Senior Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARApril 17, 2018
Top management is prone to micromanaging underlings and driving them away from an otherwise good job. If you are one to start off on the wrong foot, your career will be short lived. Mistakes are not tolerated.
Pros
Facility has full kitchen, clean, comfortable
Cons
Cameras record every corner of the building - no trust at all
Would recommend for maybe a year of work, but not past that.
Packaging Designer (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARMay 5, 2017
95% of the employees working here are new (1 year or less), because the turnover rate is so high which, in itself, should tell you a lot about the company.

I can honestly say that the work I did here was really fun and exciting, but the hours worked here along with the super demanding unrealistic deadlines leave you feeling like you can't do anything right. As a people pleaser, I always tried really hard to meet deadlines, even putting in 2-3 extra hours a day when needed (& sometimes weekends too - all without compensation), but this job will leave you feeling burnt out and tired. I can honestly say this job has drained all my creative energy, making me question my passion for art and design.

Also management tends to be very disorganized, making it hard to prioritize and meet deadlines.

The positives of this company are the coworkers. The ladies that work here are very hard working and kind to eachother, making it easy to work as a team. I was always paid on time, and the CEO bought lunch when we were asked to work through it.
Pros
free lunch sometimes, fun work, great team members, pays decent
Cons
long unpaid hours, workload, short deadlines, bad work/life balance, VERY high turn over rate
A bad place to work. Keep looking elsewhere.
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARNovember 11, 2016
This is a bad place to work. It is extremely rare for anyone to work here more than a month or two. They don't train you and give you a mountain of work to do and wonder why some of it doesn't get done the way they want it. If you decide to work here, expect to work from 6AM to 10PM every day including weekends. You will be belittled and griped at for other people's mistakes.

My coworkers were always nice and helpful. The compensation was pretty good. Benefits are good, but you won't be there long enough for that to matter.
Pros
Good coworkers. Compensation was good.
Cons
Very high stress level. Very long hours. Everyone is overworked. No training and high expectations.