Opaa Food Management, Inc. Employee Reviews

Awesome Company
Director of Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Wellsville, MOFebruary 28, 2019
It is hard work, you will be busy all the time. But the people are awesome. You will work with kids most of the time, but the family feeling with Opaa is unmatched. I left for a "dream" job, not realizing I already had my dream job. I'm very sorry I left.
Poor training specialist / lie about Job descriptio
Director in Training (Current Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 12, 2019
It’s was all awesome at the beginning until I took the job and I was posted to my traning center. I was treated like nobody when Infact I am superior to those who are training me. I cried every night.I took the DIT position because of my passion for Nutrition,public health ,giving back to my people and helping those lovely children eat healthy and also maintain a healthy lifestyle.
The trainers and kitchen managers that barely completed high school diploma makes the training hard on me.The trainer all have different types of informations so they throw you at a State of confusion because this one is saying this is how to set up a salad bar and other one is saying something else , This one is saying you make 300 buns another one is saying 250 and at the end they go behind your bad and talk bad instead of them to ask.Every Tom and Harry wants to be the boss! As if that was not enough I wake up 4am because I have to be at the school by 5 and don’t come back home till 5pm and during this time I am on my feet. Washing dishes , baking , serving, cleaning, wiping down the tables , lifting boxes over 50pounds , get stuck in the walk in freezers, moving boxes and heavy loads from trucks , get screamed at across the hallway to come do something. It’s was Belittling for someone like me who owns 2 degrees to get treated like a baby. The Director of Nutrition doesn’t need a Bachelors degree holder to fill the Position they should just pick one of their training specialist and put them in that position if someone with Education is going to get treated like they can barely write their
  more... names. I made so much sacrifice to relocate and I turned down so many job offers just to do what I love. As someone who has a Degree in Healthcare I’d wanted to make a change by helping with compliance , overseeing food and kitchen activities , hiring and training and other that was listed in a Normal DNS job description .I am hanging in there to see what happens when I get my own school. The training specialist need more training and learn a job Ethics and respect.
I love the job it’s my passion, but I think this people needs more order and also someone has to let them know that because they are training someone doesn’t make them the person’s superior. Lastly !!! Be more open with job description let an individual know they will be train on dish washer, server, janitor, Baker, kitchen manager , work with all kitchen equipments, get stock in freezer , be on their feet for 8 to 10 hours that way individual can prepare and if they have any medical issues when it’s comes to job with serious physical demand they can let you know and maybe you can work with them.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Training specialist needs more work on ethics, stop gossip and being two faced
The kids and school employees are great to work with
Kitchen Manager and Cook (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 26, 2019
The only thing nice I have to say is I love the kids and the ladies in my district. Things are very stressful in this company. You are not allotted enough time to get your work done. No proper training.
Pros
Feeding these kids is why i stay
Cons
No training
February 7, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Family owned business with great leadership and advancement opportunity.
Regional Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Stockton, MOJanuary 16, 2019
The schedule that I work with Opaa! allows me to be home most every night to spend time with my family. Opaa! is a family owned business and has kept the family culture. With Opaa! I've been provided advancement opportunities and take pride in the fact that our company is here to feed as many hungry kids as possible a nutritious meal while working alongside the districts we partner with.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch, company vehicle, bonus schedule, good work life balance
Cons
Stressful but doable
January 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. Please reach us at recruiting@opaafood.com to share improvements you would like to see.

Bad management
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KSDecember 14, 2018
Management complained about other employee openly to me then turned around and used it against her. Management has problems with yelling at students and employees.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No break lack of respect
February 7, 2019

HORRIBLE company to work for!!
Cook/dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2018
This company cannot afford to pay its employees much more than minimum wage. They are way understaffed and treat their employees horribly. At the elementary school that I work at, the management is was under-qualified. She does not stick to company policies and chooses favorites. She puts the teachers needs above the students. She never wants to help out, as we are under-staffed, and she asks everyone else to do her work for her.
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management, stressful
January 17, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our employees. We strive to provide an environment where employee’s feel they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

loved seeing the kids
Head cook/baker (Former Employee) –  Carl Junction, MODecember 6, 2018
I enjoyed serving the kids seeing them everyday. Strict rules and regulations. portions and food cost. Benefits and raises available. Good managers and co workers
Pros
the kids
Cons
the main bosses

Horrible management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Newburg, MODecember 3, 2018
Just don’t apply. No training. Managers are two faced. Corporate doesn’t even know what’s in the employee handbook. The only good part of the job, the kids.
Pros
Kids
Cons
No training, bad bosses, hostile environment

Fast growing company
Director of Operations and Services (Former Employee) –  Lewis, MODecember 1, 2018
Obviously growing pains, which is expected. Although, I do believe that the right people are in the top spots which will nurture the company in to a progressive and bright future.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Growing Pains
December 7, 2018

I enjoy working with the students
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 30, 2018
I have enjoyed working with the students. Many of the employees are amazing people who work hard. I wouldn't leave if I had support from others above me.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Bad pay

New management
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, MONovember 4, 2018
The new managers are not friendly or family oriented it’s not worth the pay for them to cut your hours and not care and when school is out for breaks and summers it’s unemployment if your lucky you get 80 dollars a week on that
Pros
Working with friends and cooking for kids
Cons
The management
December 7, 2018

Can be a rewarding career.
Regional Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 3, 2018
The job is high paced and can be stressful at times. The hardest part of the job is staffing. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeding the kids.
Pros
Work and Life balance
Cons
Support is lacking sometimes.
December 7, 2018

The kids are great to learn from.
Sub school cook (Former Employee) –  Bernie, MOSeptember 18, 2018
It's a great place to show kids love by feeding them and helping them clean up after themselves. And getting more skills on serving others and cooking meals
Pros
Feeding the kids
Cons
Not enough pay
December 7, 2018

Fast paced and sometimes unrealistic expectations
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 15, 2018
Working for OPAA! has been a rollercoaster. Started out as a dishwasher/cook. A couple months later a kitchen manager, had no idea what I was getting into. Felt like I had been misled and lied to. I was basically told to step up or step aside with little training and experience. Fortunately, with the help and guidance of a great DNS's assistance, I was able to hang on and step up. Making the day of the students and teachers was my favorite part. OPAA! has a 401k plan that I had access to, along with training videos and online classes. Providing quality food to children that may not get to eat anywhere else. The downside is that it's definitely not something you do for the money. The pay is something to consider before deciding if you can continue this service. Other than that great staff, love working with the children, teachers, and board members.
Pros
Providing quality food to children, Summers off, and true team work otherwise this company wouldn't make it very far.
Cons
Fast paced, short breaks, and lack of communication between higher up and kitchen staff

I love my job.
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  McDonald County, MOAugust 10, 2018
I truly enjoy working for Opaa! I love getting to make a difference in the lives of the children I work with. I love the hours because it allows me to attend anything my children are involved in.It is high paced and challenging, which I love, but is not for everyone.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
High turnover
August 16, 2018

Food Management
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Blue Eye, MOJuly 16, 2018
Working at Schools can be rewarding and fun. The food program with Opaa is a good one, have a good manager DNS is vital, if they are not good communicators then your time with them will be full of trials. Communication is vital for a healthy workplace.
Pros
fun to work with other kitchen ladies and children
Cons
miss communication with upper managment
August 13, 2018

really tiring job
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 4, 2018
A lot people quit here because of gossips and poor management, but for me I enjoyed it a little bit because there's free food, some of my co workers are nice, but it is really tiring job for me. I just quit because my back is worst and needed a surgery. I do a lot of work when I worked here before because I get bored so easy.
June 11, 2018

Wonderful, Supportive Company to Work For!
Assistant Regional Director (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 10, 2018
I have enjoyed my time with OPAA! very much over the last several years that I've been with the company! The work/life balance is wonderful since my schedule follows the school calendar. The children at my school are so sweet, and I love getting to 'Make their Day' every day! Management and the home office team are very supportive and always helpful when any need arises!
May 14, 2018

"For The Kids"
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Iola, KSMay 7, 2018
The job is good when you serve the kids and get along with them. Cooking is simple but it requires focus because you have to cook for hundreds of small humans. Some are almost adults but still. It is rewarding when you can see the students enjoying what you've prepared for them. Also, interactions while serving are some of the greatest rewards. Putting a smile on their faces and making them laugh... I think that makes you a good worker at a school.
Pros
Staff Lunch (Free)
Cons
Could be more organized
May 14, 2018

Don't bother applying a waste of time!!!!
WAS NEVER EMPLOYED (Former Employee) –  Calico Rock, ARApril 21, 2018
They may have nicer employers in other states, or different parts of arkansas.But don't get in involved with opaa involved in calico rock, arkansas, nothing but uselessness, they were pleasant in the begining but liars in end.
Pros
Some were pleasant
Cons
Never a callback
April 23, 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opaa Food Management, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.