Opaa Food Management, Inc. Employee Reviews

Bad management
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KSDecember 14, 2018
Management complained about other employee openly to me then turned around and used it against her. Management has problems with yelling at students and employees.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No break lack of respect
HORRIBLE company to work for!!
Cook/dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2018
This company cannot afford to pay its employees much more than minimum wage. They are way understaffed and treat their employees horribly. At the elementary school that I work at, the management is was under-qualified. She does not stick to company policies and chooses favorites. She puts the teachers needs above the students. She never wants to help out, as we are under-staffed, and she asks everyone else to do her work for her.
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management, stressful
loved seeing the kids
Head cook/baker (Former Employee) –  Carl Junction, MODecember 6, 2018
I enjoyed serving the kids seeing them everyday. Strict rules and regulations. portions and food cost. Benefits and raises available. Good managers and co workers
Pros
the kids
Cons
the main bosses
December 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. Please reach us at recruiting@opaafood.com to share improvements you would like to see.

Horrible management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Newburg, MODecember 3, 2018
Just don’t apply. No training. Managers are two faced. Corporate doesn’t even know what’s in the employee handbook. The only good part of the job, the kids.
Pros
Kids
Cons
No training, bad bosses, hostile environment
December 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our employees. We strive to provide an environment where employee’s feel they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Fast growing company
Director of Operations and Services (Former Employee) –  Lewis, MODecember 1, 2018
Obviously growing pains, which is expected. Although, I do believe that the right people are in the top spots which will nurture the company in to a progressive and bright future.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
Growing Pains
December 7, 2018

I enjoy working with the students
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 30, 2018
I have enjoyed working with the students. Many of the employees are amazing people who work hard. I wouldn't leave if I had support from others above me.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Bad pay
New management
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, MONovember 4, 2018
The new managers are not friendly or family oriented it’s not worth the pay for them to cut your hours and not care and when school is out for breaks and summers it’s unemployment if your lucky you get 80 dollars a week on that
Pros
Working with friends and cooking for kids
Cons
The management
December 7, 2018

Can be a rewarding career.
Regional Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 3, 2018
The job is high paced and can be stressful at times. The hardest part of the job is staffing. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeding the kids.
Pros
Work and Life balance
Cons
Support is lacking sometimes.
December 7, 2018

The kids are great to learn from.
Sub school cook (Former Employee) –  Bernie, MOSeptember 18, 2018
It's a great place to show kids love by feeding them and helping them clean up after themselves. And getting more skills on serving others and cooking meals
Pros
Feeding the kids
Cons
Not enough pay
December 7, 2018

Fast paced and sometimes unrealistic expectations
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 15, 2018
Working for OPAA! has been a rollercoaster. Started out as a dishwasher/cook. A couple months later a kitchen manager, had no idea what I was getting into. Felt like I had been misled and lied to. I was basically told to step up or step aside with little training and experience. Fortunately, with the help and guidance of a great DNS's assistance, I was able to hang on and step up. Making the day of the students and teachers was my favorite part. OPAA! has a 401k plan that I had access to, along with training videos and online classes. Providing quality food to children that may not get to eat anywhere else. The downside is that it's definitely not something you do for the money. The pay is something to consider before deciding if you can continue this service. Other than that great staff, love working with the children, teachers, and board members.
Pros
Providing quality food to children, Summers off, and true team work otherwise this company wouldn't make it very far.
Cons
Fast paced, short breaks, and lack of communication between higher up and kitchen staff

I love my job.
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  McDonald County, MOAugust 10, 2018
I truly enjoy working for Opaa! I love getting to make a difference in the lives of the children I work with. I love the hours because it allows me to attend anything my children are involved in.It is high paced and challenging, which I love, but is not for everyone.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
High turnover
August 16, 2018

Food Management
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Blue Eye, MOJuly 16, 2018
Working at Schools can be rewarding and fun. The food program with Opaa is a good one, have a good manager DNS is vital, if they are not good communicators then your time with them will be full of trials. Communication is vital for a healthy workplace.
Pros
fun to work with other kitchen ladies and children
Cons
miss communication with upper managment
August 13, 2018

really tiring job
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 4, 2018
A lot people quit here because of gossips and poor management, but for me I enjoyed it a little bit because there's free food, some of my co workers are nice, but it is really tiring job for me. I just quit because my back is worst and needed a surgery. I do a lot of work when I worked here before because I get bored so easy.
June 11, 2018

Wonderful, Supportive Company to Work For!
Assistant Regional Director (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 10, 2018
I have enjoyed my time with OPAA! very much over the last several years that I've been with the company! The work/life balance is wonderful since my schedule follows the school calendar. The children at my school are so sweet, and I love getting to 'Make their Day' every day! Management and the home office team are very supportive and always helpful when any need arises!
May 14, 2018

"For The Kids"
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Iola, KSMay 7, 2018
The job is good when you serve the kids and get along with them. Cooking is simple but it requires focus because you have to cook for hundreds of small humans. Some are almost adults but still. It is rewarding when you can see the students enjoying what you've prepared for them. Also, interactions while serving are some of the greatest rewards. Putting a smile on their faces and making them laugh... I think that makes you a good worker at a school.
Pros
Staff Lunch (Free)
Cons
Could be more organized
May 14, 2018

Don't bother applying a waste of time!!!!
WAS NEVER EMPLOYED (Former Employee) –  Calico Rock, ARApril 21, 2018
They may have nicer employers in other states, or different parts of arkansas.But don't get in involved with opaa involved in calico rock, arkansas, nothing but uselessness, they were pleasant in the begining but liars in end.
Pros
Some were pleasant
Cons
Never a callback
April 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Working with children
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasApril 7, 2018
Only pro is working with the kids, and some of the other employees. School employees didn't want Opaa there, so alot of tension, no team working together
Pros
Children
Cons
Lied to on a daily basis
April 23, 2018

Awesome group of professionals doing good things for our community
Director of Nutritional Services (Current Employee) –  Odessa, MOApril 5, 2018
OPAA is a great place to work... I love being near my children and plugged into the school district! and Summers off with the kids! Hard to beat that!
Pros
Its fun working in the kitchen!

Good part time easy job
Food Service Cook (Former Employee) –  Lilbourn, MOApril 4, 2018
Great part time job with small close crew. Following recipes to prepare food based on a scheduled calender. Serving breakfast and lunch to school kids.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Part time only. Unable to work about 4 months out of the year due to summer vacation, snow days, teacher training days, and tons of unpaid holidays.
Great Company
DNS (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, KSFebruary 27, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working for OPAA. They truly care about the kids and their nutrition and it shows. They have high standards for the employees and the food, and I am happy to see a company that truly cares about our youth. I never want to leave this company!!
Pros
School hours, company that cares about the quality of product
March 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. We care very deeply about our employees and appreciate your positive feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opaa Food Management, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.