Opaa Food Management, Inc. Employee Reviews

The kids are great to learn from.
Sub school cook (Former Employee) –  Bernie, MOSeptember 18, 2018
It's a great place to show kids love by feeding them and helping them clean up after themselves. And getting more skills on serving others and cooking meals
Pros
Feeding the kids
Cons
Not enough pay
Fast paced and sometimes unrealistic expectations
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 15, 2018
Working for OPAA! has been a rollercoaster. Started out as a dishwasher/cook. A couple months later a kitchen manager, had no idea what I was getting into. Felt like I had been misled and lied to. I was basically told to step up or step aside with little training and experience. Fortunately, with the help and guidance of a great DNS's assistance, I was able to hang on and step up. Making the day of the students and teachers was my favorite part. OPAA! has a 401k plan that I had access to, along with training videos and online classes. Providing quality food to children that may not get to eat anywhere else. The downside is that it's definitely not something you do for the money. The pay is something to consider before deciding if you can continue this service. Other than that great staff, love working with the children, teachers, and board members.
Pros
Providing quality food to children, Summers off, and true team work otherwise this company wouldn't make it very far.
Cons
Fast paced, short breaks, and lack of communication between higher up and kitchen staff
I love my job.
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  McDonald County, MOAugust 10, 2018
I truly enjoy working for Opaa! I love getting to make a difference in the lives of the children I work with. I love the hours because it allows me to attend anything my children are involved in.It is high paced and challenging, which I love, but is not for everyone.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
High turnover
August 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

Food Management
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Blue Eye, MOJuly 16, 2018
Working at Schools can be rewarding and fun. The food program with Opaa is a good one, have a good manager DNS is vital, if they are not good communicators then your time with them will be full of trials. Communication is vital for a healthy workplace.
Pros
fun to work with other kitchen ladies and children
Cons
miss communication with upper managment
August 13, 2018

really tiring job
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 4, 2018
A lot people quit here because of gossips and poor management, but for me I enjoyed it a little bit because there's free food, some of my co workers are nice, but it is really tiring job for me. I just quit because my back is worst and needed a surgery. I do a lot of work when I worked here before because I get bored so easy.
June 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our employees. We strive to provide an environment where employee’s feel they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Wonderful, Supportive Company to Work For!
Assistant Regional Director (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 10, 2018
I have enjoyed my time with OPAA! very much over the last several years that I've been with the company! The work/life balance is wonderful since my schedule follows the school calendar. The children at my school are so sweet, and I love getting to 'Make their Day' every day! Management and the home office team are very supportive and always helpful when any need arises!
May 14, 2018

"For The Kids"
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Iola, KSMay 7, 2018
The job is good when you serve the kids and get along with them. Cooking is simple but it requires focus because you have to cook for hundreds of small humans. Some are almost adults but still. It is rewarding when you can see the students enjoying what you've prepared for them. Also, interactions while serving are some of the greatest rewards. Putting a smile on their faces and making them laugh... I think that makes you a good worker at a school.
Pros
Staff Lunch (Free)
Cons
Could be more organized
May 14, 2018

Don't bother applying a waste of time!!!!
WAS NEVER EMPLOYED (Former Employee) –  Calico Rock, ARApril 21, 2018
They may have nicer employers in other states, or different parts of arkansas.But don't get in involved with opaa involved in calico rock, arkansas, nothing but uselessness, they were pleasant in the begining but liars in end.
Pros
Some were pleasant
Cons
Never a callback
April 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Working with children
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasApril 7, 2018
Only pro is working with the kids, and some of the other employees. School employees didn't want Opaa there, so alot of tension, no team working together
Pros
Children
Cons
Lied to on a daily basis
April 23, 2018

Awesome group of professionals doing good things for our community
Director of Nutritional Services (Current Employee) –  Odessa, MOApril 5, 2018
OPAA is a great place to work... I love being near my children and plugged into the school district! and Summers off with the kids! Hard to beat that!
Pros
Its fun working in the kitchen!

Good part time easy job
Food Service Cook (Former Employee) –  Lilbourn, MOApril 4, 2018
Great part time job with small close crew. Following recipes to prepare food based on a scheduled calender. Serving breakfast and lunch to school kids.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Part time only. Unable to work about 4 months out of the year due to summer vacation, snow days, teacher training days, and tons of unpaid holidays.
Great Company
DNS (Current Employee) –  Vermillion, KSFebruary 27, 2018
I thoroughly enjoy working for OPAA. They truly care about the kids and their nutrition and it shows. They have high standards for the employees and the food, and I am happy to see a company that truly cares about our youth. I never want to leave this company!!
Pros
School hours, company that cares about the quality of product
March 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. We care very deeply about our employees and appreciate your positive feedback.

Great Place to Work!
Home Office (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOFebruary 5, 2018
Family owned and operated, fun atmosphere with great Leaders. The teams are great and treat you like family.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the work is engaging. While a fast-pace, it's a challenge that can be fun for those who wants to push themselves.

The workplace culture encourages high energy, servant leadership, and a can do/will do attitude.
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. We care very deeply for our employees appreciate your positive feedback.

Quick paced
Cook (Current Employee) –  Nevada, MOJanuary 24, 2018
I go in at 6 am to make breakfast, and then we all prepare lunch. Everyone helps everyone out. we all clean together at the end of the day also. You are always on the go.
Pros
off when kids are out of school
Cons
low pay
Fits my family's schedule
Kitchen Manager/ Head Cook (Current Employee) –  Eugene, MissouriDecember 19, 2017
Work starts early enough that my kids can ride in with me (eliminating the bus) and I get off work early enough to have appts during the business day and still get home before my children get home from school.
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members and our unique work perks. We care very deeply for our employees appreciate your positive feedback.

Semi-productive
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Caruthersville, MONovember 2, 2017
I come in the mornings and prepare the a la cart. At 10:45 we begin to serve the middle school students. At 12:00, we serve the high school students their lunches. Once all the children have been served and are dismissed back to their classes, we proceed to clean the kitchen and serving areas. Make sure they are adequately cleaned.
Nice place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOOctober 1, 2017
OPAA has friendly employees and management. Supervision was minimum, but available for guidance. I worked there on 2 separate occasions and it was a pleasant experience. The workload was satisfactory, no extreme pressure on deadlines. Lots of peaks even for a temp.
Pros
Free lunches, celebrations, easy workload
Cons
Better communication by management, limited advancement for full time employees
Excellent job to have
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOAugust 4, 2017
I loved working for opaa food mgmt. I worked with a great few women who were mostly to themselves and drama free making it a less stressful and comfortable place to work.
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. We are a family at Opaa! Food Management and care deeply for our employees.

Great Company with good values
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasJuly 12, 2017
I've worked in school foods service management for over 20 years. Opaa! brought purpose and excitement to our kitchens striving to provide the best possible meals while meeting federal requirements. There are opportunities for advancement and increases in competition based on performance. Family owned business with specific goals and company values.
Pros
Ability to provide students and staff with good meals while having fun with a purpose.
Cons
Working with a few people who are not open to changing!
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members and our unique work perks. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Opaa! Food Management

The lower management tries but they are incable of making the work enviromment any better for the employees.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Baxter Springs, KSJune 23, 2017
Terrible company to work for. Constantly lied to. Management was always manipulating situation to cover for their incompetence. They are a cuthroat company where higher management makes out like a bandit with bonuses at the children's expence.
Pros
Cons
Ill skilled management. Very low pay for work asked for.
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our employees. We strive to provide an environment where employees feel they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruiting@opaafood.com.

Opaa Food Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Opaa Food Management, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.