Open Cities Health Center

Open Cities Health Center Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my positon and helping patients. Many positions are union so there are dues, a non matched 401k, and benefits are expensive. Many changes within the company.
OCHC has an interim CEO that is terrible. Makes rash decisions and personal attacks. She sees patients but doesn’t finish her charting notes, very poor patient care and adds to their already financial issues. Interim CEO is not qualified for the position. Only favorites get significant pay increases or if you threaten to quite. CEO doesn’t care about the well being of the clinic. They have let go and hurt people who have been there 30+ years. And who are real staples in the community. A lot of illegal things happen on a day to day basis. The way they handle COVID is appalling. Administration and directors don’t even wear masks as they should.
Pros
The amazing patients that deserve better care
Cons
Management, pay, workload
First start of my year, i have enjoy working with open cities health. But after a year everything changes. People who work there for 20+ year got let go and replace. Things around haven’t been the same since then. Upper management started to get poor and dont really help or care about employees. Mangers/supervisor favor people to much. They make you do more then your JOB description when they hired you. Plus with that they dont Raise after 90 days and after a year. We lost lots of patients within a year due to because poor Management. Front desk should train their people better and know how to treat each other respectfully. I really wish open cities can learn and grow from these mistake.
This is a very diverse organizations that services the low income, under insured as well as insured community. I learned that everyone matters regardless of their culture, inabilities or abilities. We are all human beings and should be treated as such. My job was very fulfilling.
do as you are told, many different players. Roles are always changing, people are always changing. Never know who is really in-charge of the company. Lots of contracted employees and not many hourly paid employees. Union is involved for some and not others. Strange.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
very rude staff. would never encourage people to apply. need better management on the dental and medical side. over all the work was okay, not to hard
1) This place pays Spanish bilingual receptionists $1.25 more per hour than Hmong bilingual receptionists with no explanation. 2) Management doesn’t train new employees. New staff trains new staff which leads to more work for other receptionists and other departments.
Management has no idea what they are doing. They allow union employees to do whatever they want due to being scared to discipline them. Lack of teamwork in departments. Departments fight against one another. Gossip is a very big problem because no one wants to hear both sides if a union employee is involved. Secrecy is a problem, no communication. Told one thing but they do another. Never give employee a chance to do their job
Open Cities Health Center was a great place to work couple of years ago. There were job security, meaning an employee could be at his/ her job for 25 to 30 plus years. But now everything has changed for the worse. Employees are terminated with no justifiable reason, patients are not happy with company policy, it is ridiculous. Patients just had a petition to voice out their hurts and frustration with those steps the new CEO has taken, to terminate Doctors that provided their care without notification.
Pros
Taken away the tradition of the clinic makes me upset
Cons
Employees are not treated with dignity and respect by management
I liked working in the community and underserved population. I would recommend staff that work there are their for the right reasons.To help and serve the community and people that really need the help.
Pros
Community
Cons
The supervisor and staff was very friendly and helpful. Each of the other departments depended on me to make sure the telephone lines stayed in order and I completed all office requests
Pros
Cons
Lack of funds
I like my job for 22 year but manage was not the best it get worrier time with by the people was the best and the doctor are ok but they needed help from manage
Pros
Cons
health inc
Management has no relevant knowledge and experience with the community they are supposed to serve. Executive Director is a charismatic narcissist who will throw anyone under the bus and not taking accountability for any setbacks. Board and Exec Team have no back bone to support the organization, hence the large turnovers of exceptional staffs who can see through their incompetency. There is poor work culture to support the staff from all business line. Communication and transparency is lacking. Politics and favoritism is rampant here. There is no growth in career and personal development at all. The organization doesn't know how to invest in their employees, but they constantly push for more work and pay cuts. I've only stayed this long because I've been with this organization longer than when the transition in leaderships changed it all. Management wants to institutionalize this organization, but they are doing it all wrong. They're only doing it to advance their own cause, not the community. It's sad to see this all crumble in the past couple of years. It's time we bring in new leaders who have an honest and genuine vision like Dori.
Pros
Community
Cons
Management, pay, work culture, bureaucracy
open cities clinic was for the community. they offered sliding fee for low income people which was a great benefit for seeking medical for the poor. the atmosphere at OCHC was always friendly and high pace.
Cons
The company really believes in helping those in need. Improved staffing would help this place to become a top facility for the underinsured/uninsured. There's never a dull moment. This company allows you learn about different cultures and walks of life. This company could really grow if it had staff that were dedicated and understand the purpose of the company and the role it plays in the community.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
undedicated staff
Assist patients of all cultures, I learned that working for a non profit is a rewarding experience. The hardest part of the job was seeing the patients that couldn't afford eye glasses. The most enjoyable part was the time we spent together as a family.
Was not an organization that I would recommend due to lack of support and encouragement within the company.To many cliches, to many management styles that didn't coordinate with each other.
Pros
Close to home, transportation, community support
Cons
Communication, processes and procedures, no opportunities for advancement, unorganized
great staff and doctors even tho the wait to get your call answered could be real long and sometimes the docs cancel at the last minute which can be stressful
I enjoyed my stay at Open Cities Health Center. It gave me an appreciation of the complexities of a federally qualified clinic. I learned a lot about healthcare policy and the new trend of working with CMA's.
Pros
Community Clinic the was heavily utilized
Cons
Not having enough site to meet the communities medical needs.
I love that everyday is different! Is the pay less? Yes, it is. However the reward is so much greater! I really enjoyed working here. The co-workers, patients and whole clinic is a fun, realistic place. The providers are passionate and caring. Although some things are typical such as rooming patients obtaining vitals, medical and family history, giving immunizations, prepping for IUD inserts, circumcision, pap smears and more. The only thing that was hard was that because it was a community center, they were going through financial crisis and therefore laid off many of my co-workers which made the job harder because the workload has tripled. Through all these things, I still loved this place the most! I was also the Sage Coordinator processing forms, contacting patient regarding results, educating pap smears and mammograms, and tracking all Sage patients.
Open Cities has so much to offer the community. I feel with the right guidance, support and leadership, our slogan; "Serving the community with a heart", could really make a lasting impression throughout the Twin Cities.
Pros
Having the opportunity to work with various cultures and types of people.
Cons
Non-supportive management and high employee turnover rates.