Open Cities Health Center Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 24, 2019
The supervisor and staff was very friendly and helpful. Each of the other departments depended on me to make sure the telephone lines stayed in order and I completed all office requests
Pros
Cons
Lack of funds
no game at the job
MEDICAL RECORD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 9, 2019
I like my job for 22 year but manage was not the best it get worrier time with by the people was the best and the doctor are ok but they needed help from manage
Pros
Cons
health inc
Poor Management and Lack of Organizational Culture
CMA (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 6, 2019
Management has no relevant knowledge and experience with the community they are supposed to serve. Executive Director is a charismatic narcissist who will throw anyone under the bus and not taking accountability for any setbacks. Board and Exec Team have no back bone to support the organization, hence the large turnovers of exceptional staffs who can see through their incompetency.

There is poor work culture to support the staff from all business line. Communication and transparency is lacking. Politics and favoritism is rampant here. There is no growth in career and personal development at all. The organization doesn't know how to invest in their employees, but they constantly push for more work and pay cuts. I've only stayed this long because I've been with this organization longer than when the transition in leaderships changed it all.

Management wants to institutionalize this organization, but they are doing it all wrong. They're only doing it to advance their own cause, not the community. It's sad to see this all crumble in the past couple of years. It's time we bring in new leaders who have an honest and genuine vision like Dori.
Pros
Community
Cons
Management, pay, work culture, bureaucracy
family oriented clinic
Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 7, 2018
open cities clinic was for the community. they offered sliding fee for low income people which was a great benefit for seeking medical for the poor. the atmosphere at OCHC was always friendly and high pace.
Provides help
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN 55104January 4, 2018
The company really believes in helping those in need. Improved staffing would help this place to become a top facility for the underinsured/uninsured. There's never a dull moment. This company allows you learn about different cultures and walks of life. This company could really grow if it had staff that were dedicated and understand the purpose of the company and the role it plays in the community.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
undedicated staff
I loved working at Open Cities health Center
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 28, 2017
Assist patients of all cultures, I learned that working for a non profit is a rewarding experience. The hardest part of the job was seeing the patients that couldn't afford eye glasses. The most enjoyable part was the time we spent together as a family.
Open Cities Health Center
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 17, 2017
Was not an organization that I would recommend due to lack of support and encouragement within the company.To many cliches, to many management styles that didn't coordinate with each other.
Pros
Close to home, transportation, community support
Cons
Communication, processes and procedures, no opportunities for advancement, unorganized
great
Medical Administrative Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 23, 2015
great staff and doctors even tho the wait to get your call answered could be real long and sometimes the docs cancel at the last minute which can be stressful
Director of Clinical Services
Director of Clinical Services (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 22, 2015
I enjoyed my stay at Open Cities Health Center. It gave me an appreciation of the complexities of a federally qualified clinic. I learned a lot about healthcare policy and the new trend of working with CMA's.
Pros
Community Clinic the was heavily utilized
Cons
Not having enough site to meet the communities medical needs.
Never a typical day!
Medical Assistant/ Sage Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 24, 2014
I love that everyday is different! Is the pay less? Yes, it is. However the reward is so much greater! I really enjoyed working here. The co-workers, patients and whole clinic is a fun, realistic place. The providers are passionate and caring. Although some things are typical such as rooming patients obtaining vitals, medical and family history, giving immunizations, prepping for IUD inserts, circumcision, pap smears and more. The only thing that was hard was that because it was a community center, they were going through financial crisis and therefore laid off many of my co-workers which made the job harder because the workload has tripled. Through all these things, I still loved this place the most! I was also the Sage Coordinator processing forms, contacting patient regarding results, educating pap smears and mammograms, and tracking all Sage patients.
fun experiences with Open Cities staff and it's patients. Feels family oriented.
HIV/AIDS Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 11, 2014
Open Cities has so much to offer the community. I feel with the right guidance, support and leadership, our slogan; "Serving the community with a heart", could really make a lasting impression throughout the Twin Cities.
Pros
Having the opportunity to work with various cultures and types of people.
Cons
Non-supportive management and high employee turnover rates.
Great team to work with!
Dental Clinic Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 10, 2014
Community clinic that is helping patients with medical,dental, and behavior needs.
Very busy switchboard with a lot of upset patients
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 24, 2012
I felt I handled the position very well as I played a very important part of the clinic, patients, and staff.
Pros
a lot of the patients let me know that i helped them greatly
Cons
when patients were yelling at me for what someone else in the clinic did
Everyone enjoyed doing what they love doing.
Medical Assistant/ student externship (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 23, 2012
My experience there was not long, but I enjoyed every minute that I was there. I was surrounded by people who loves doing what they do best there, and that is taking care of patients well being.
Pros
i did enjoyed the free lunches, plus the one hour break!
Cons
the hours, the clinic closes at 8pm