Open English

Open English Employee Reviews

United States73 reviews

teacherplatformteachingonlinestudentclassopenlow

Flexible

Very flexible job if you travel a lot or want to stay at home. Management is responsive and the students make an effort. Lessons are prepared for you. The downside is that if you want to make a semi-decent income you would need to work long hours and same lessons repeat over and over again. Would like to see more variety and a pay raise would be nice as well as career pathway to monitor/manager.

Solid with room to improve

Remote work since COVID, good support from HR and leadership. Health care options have high deductibles and out of pocket. Multiple projects and shifting priorities. Need to be flexible and willing to pivot quickly with little warning or communication.

Open English insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Good if you're an expat.

If you're living in another country it's pretty great as you are paid in dollars and the exchange rates go a long way. You are pretty much responsible for everything and communication with management is great.

Flexible schedule

What I enjoyed more about working at open english is the flexible schedule you can change every 3 months. You can also cancel or drop shifts as late as an hour before your class time and if it’s picked up by another teacher you are free from that responsibility but remember you are not getting paid for that class.

Worst teacher communicating company I have ever worked at.

I’ve been an ESL teacher for 4 years. I’ve been with 4 platforms with some at the same time. This company I was asked to work with adults. I normally work with children. It was a nice change for me. From the beginning I had a lot of miscommunication and mis information with them about how to fill out forms or how to get my Slack set up or how to get my schedule. They use Salesforce and that is a confusing program in itself. For a month I was getting my schedule wrong and getting in trouble. You don’t get a “place ticket problem here” form on the Teacher hub. You have to search for all the forms. I would get my reviews and I was getting excellent marks but getting feedback that my background was to “busy” I asked for permission on Day 1 if I can keep my background because I teach other platforms! They apologize then next review I get the same bad feedback! My last review I had %100 new student rate when overall average was %95. My personal %98 when overall %96. I was doing Awesome! I got a dollar raise too after 6 months. They would send me many many new beginner ESL students who were on level 0 or 1 and I would get amazing student feedbacks of me being their favorite teacher. Then I got fired 15 mins to my last shift of the day. It was for missing to many classes or being tardy. I normally screenshot everything but guess I missed some?! It was confusing. I couldn’t prove to them discrepancies that I had months before that they told months after! Word of advice: Great company for experience. I love the students. I love the curriculum but screenshot everything! Be very on -

Great

Splendid had a great time really fulfilling job would thoroughly and utterly recommend to anyone who wants to have a career to pay for housing food and energy

Solid remote gig if you are living in Latin America.

The job as an online English teacher was pretty straight forward.The lessons are all planned out. Schedule is flexible; you can drop shifts for someone else to pick up anytime, and you can pick up available shift if you want extra hours.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great students, good lesson plans

Cons

low pay

It's not a bad place to work if you don't need the money.

It's not a bad place to work if you don't need the money. The pay is the lowest I've ever received or seen in the U.S. But if you move to Ecuador, you can survive.

Pros

Well organized, there is no unpaid work required of teachers, they give constructive feedback on your teaching.

Cons

Third world wages! They offer incentives that they try not to pay out.

Decent Place for Supplemental Income

This company doesn't pay well, but it does offer complete schedule flexibility. You work as an independent contractor, which means zero benefits. Pay is set at $13 an hour, regardless of qualifications. That means anyone can do this with some experience teaching English as a Second Language. All lessons are cookie-cutter. The students are great and fun to teach, but you will never teach them more than one time.

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule

Cons

Low Pay, Little Opportunity for Growth

What is the best part of working at the company?flexibility of schedulingWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?getting enough hoursWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?supportiveWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?I try to teach early in the morning and late in the evenings, which leaves the day free for me to do other things.

Kids are great but compensation should be better

The children are wonderful and a pleasure to teach 99% of the time. The work is very low stress, and it is easy to schedule additional hours whenever I want.But the pay is very disappointing (in most situations, it is less than $11 an hour unless you work weekends), and there is no flexibility for creativity. I am used to using props and singing for the children, but was directly discouraged from doing that here. Just teach the material and move on. It is for both of those reasons that I left.

Would not recommend

It’s all about popularity at this place whether you get promoted or not or even keep your job. Everyone is expendable no matter how dedicated or how long a person has worked for them. Terrible work culture. Only good thing about the job were the benefits specifically the PTO.

Benefits

Cons

Poor management, work culture

Good part time job

Great for part time work but if you want to make a living you will have to live in front of your computer. I wish I could have made more money because the other teachers are great

Decent place to make side money but low energy after a few shifts.

When I moved to Latin America, I was already a part-time English teacher conducting my own English classes. I was pretty excited when I was hired but I can honestly say that although it is a decent side hustle to supplement your normal income, you lose energy and interest once you see your paycheck. When I say that I worked long hours for the first month straight only to receive a few hundred dollars I was extremely disappointed. My enthusiasm to work for the company went down & I no longer felt like it was an opportunity but more so a slight burden. Don’t get me wrong, the children are wonderful but after a few years, I was no longer interested in my shifts as each hour felt like a dread and a a huge drag. Overall, it’s a good STARTER job if you speak both English and Spanish. Also if you lost your Chinese online teaching job. You will not feel supported and the turn over rate is high. The most I earned in one month after 2 years was $600 but that was like working full time with so much exhaustion. The pay is low, even for living over seas. You’ll feel a sense of dread once your classes approach and most teachers complain in slack. Just my view.

Low pay not worth it

There is no chance for decent pay since you compete with co-workers, including non-native English speakers, in very poor countries. Most new teachers seem to disappear in a few weeks because they are not qualified and get poor ratings from students. It is known for having relatively low standards, but the schedule flexibility is good. The amount of work available varies widely from week to week.

Great place to teach English!

I really enjoy teaching English to people from all over the world. It’s fun to be able to log in from my house and help others advance in their careers through language learning. I enjoy the flexibility.

Extremely low pay, poor communication with management.

The material is pretty good. It's better than most ESL schools, but the pay, especially for teaching adults, is abysmal. I did not feel appreciated, and it was hard to accumulate enough hours. I would not recommend this job to a friend, except as something temporary or if you'r just starting out as a teacher.

Pros

Teaching materials were e better than normal. Fleible schedule.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Experienced, skilled teacher are undervalued and underpaid.

It's flexible

doesn't pay very well but very flexible and easy job if you meet the requirements. I've worked with both children and adults and I will say that I much prefer working with the adults.

Low pay but wonderful work environment

Open English is supportive of its instructors and has some of the nicest, hardworking, and most fun students you will ever work with. The scheduling is also really flexible, which I love. I wish the pay were higher and/or you could take on more than 26 hours a week. I would do this full-time if it were financially feasible.

No Support, Opportunities for Growth, or Raises

The company sees teachers as disposable, there is a high turnover rate, and it sees no value in investing in us. There is no sense of community or support from the administration. They will not promote employees in the US. No benefits, offer teachers abroad renewable 6-month contracts and teachers in US part-time positions only. I have been here for over 5 years and they have never given me (or any of my coworkers) a raise.

This is a good place for EFL teachers to start out and an ok part-time gig for supplemental income, but don't expect to achieve financial stability.

I enjoy working for Open English, but only as a side gig, and only after I accepted it what for what it truly is: a mega-corporate, assembly-line English platform. The students come in, they leave, and you never see them again. I imagine teachers feel a similar way as they come and they go. I will say that I've met a lot of students, had some great classes, and learned a lot about online teaching. There are challenges to face and you can learn a lot about teaching. Beginner classes can be challenging but also a lot of fun. Advanced classes are very relaxed and you can have some very interesting conversations. Private classes are a breeze and very enjoyable. Overall, the job is easy once you get the hang of it. The materials are already made so there is zero prep. You can gain valuable experience, but the pay is low so don't expect to build your career through this company.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, Learn about teaching online, Zero planning time, Relaxed teaching atmosphere

Cons

Little room for professional advancement, No pay raises based on experience or achievements, No opportunities for getting references, Limited student rapport, No sense of classroom community

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Open English. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
4.5Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Open English with

Learn about Open English in popular locations

• Open English
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?