Open English Employee Reviews

Great place to work while abroad
Online English Teacher (Former Employee) –  onlineMay 13, 2019
Great place to work while abroad. I was living in Guatemala and worked online for 3 years. Very flexible hours and a very positive environment. All the students are very kind and professional.
Great Part Time Job
(ESOL Academic Specialist); Remote (Former Employee) –  OnlineJanuary 6, 2019
Great part time job. Wish I could take more hours but they were limited. Salary is low. Sick time was provided with pay when you committed a certain amount of hours.
A True Pleasure
Academic specialist (Former Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 26, 2018
I had the privilege of speaking to individuals of various ages and back grounds and from every country in central and south america. Teaching them and tutoring them was an absolute pleasure. It was sometimes stressful when the group of students was large and their internet connections were poor, or when a class had students with too highly varied degrees of capability in English. I taught in both Spanish and Portuguese and was never unhappy to have to work. It was also impossible to be unconscious of how much effort the administrative team was giving to their mission and the improvement of the team and company.
Pros
Practice with Spanish and Portuguese. Flexible schedule. Pre-made lessons. Chill.
Cons
Relatively low pay. Hiring process takes nearly three eternities.
Good if living overseas or as supplemental income
Independent Contractor/English Teacher (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 15, 2018
I had a very personable and caring manager. I lived overseas at the time, so it was an acceptable cost of living arrangement. It would be a decent second job. Great job culture. Seemed like all the other teachers enjoyed teaching and collaborated together daily. Students enjoyed connecting with and meeting new teachers, too.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers!
Cons
No benefits or bonuses, hard to make into a full time job
You worked your own schedule so it was easy to work as many or as few hours as you wished.
ESL English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJuly 16, 2018
Normally worked 4 to 6 hours per day. All work was performed on-line so there was no commuting involved.

Very little interaction between teachers and managers. You were pretty much on your own.

The hardest part of the job would be working with students who had little English knowledge and not knowing how to use the platform. Unfortunately there was no mandatory training on how to use the platform and much class time was wasted trying to help these students.

The most enjoyable part was talking with students who had been in my classes prior and hearing how their English had improved since our last communication.
Pros
Working from home, choosing your own working hours.
Cons
No chance for advancement, all teachers paid the same regardless of their longevity with the company.
good company
Online ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 2, 2018
good company to work for, although the operate without direct management for staff so questions and concerns aren't addressed well. I enjoy the autonomy of working for them.
Good students, bad pay
Academic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLDecember 28, 2017
Pros: Open English provides a great flexible job with wonderful students. I enjoy teaching the kids.

Cons: The pay is subpar, especially compared to other companies. Open English ought to pay its teachers more.
Easy work from home job
Academic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLNovember 2, 2017
The job consists of teaching English lessons to Spanish speakers of various levels. The lessons are preloaded so there is little to no prep time. Classes are small, with a maximum of 8 students, and even that is not too common. It can get boring if you work a lot of hours each day, but the lessons change each day, and there are two topics each day. The students are adults and a few teenagers, motivated to learn so it s a pleasant environment.
Pros
Easy, pleasant, work from home
Cons
Students sometimes have tech issues
Excellent staff and students.
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLAugust 2, 2017
I worked for OE when there was lot of growth and changes. The culture is very fast paced and the changes/upgrades were a little daunting. Overall, the organization is a cool place to work.
Pros
Cool administration
Cons
Too many changes
Excellent teaching tools
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FL 33133March 9, 2017
Great student pool, excellent online teaching interface. I have always been a face to face teacher but this rivals that dynamic. Plus you can easily control difficult students.
Pros
Fun, rewarding work
Cons
Pay could be a bit higher
Great Organization
Academic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLMarch 8, 2017
I've been with Open English since December 2016 and I love it!

Open English students are a pleasure to instruct. They are positive and motivated to learn English.

Open English is also a good organization. The lesson plans are high-quality and the administration is very supportive.

I only wish that Open English paid a higher rate!
Pros
Students, lesson plans, administration
Cons
pay rate
Open English is one of the most innovative companies serving LATAM
Digital Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 25, 2016
Company culture is exceptional. I appreciate the extensive interview process as they bring in talent that will mesh well with the existing team. Business goals are delivered well to the entire organization.
Pros
Unlimited Time Off
Cons
Aggressive business goals.
Truly an amazing intern experience
FP&A Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 27, 2016
I really enjoyed working with OpenEnglish. Everyone was very welcoming and kind. I interned at OpenEnglish for 2 months and I have learned a lot in that short amount of period. They were patient in explaining everything and didn't hesitate to answer any of my questions. This is truly an amazing company. The office is so beautiful and I love the culture with games laid out everywhere. I was scared at first I wasn't going to like working in a cubical but the layout of this office is very open. There is not much to criticize for this company but I would say maybe for the future reference to have a schedule or time sheet in which interns know they need to do this project at by this certain time.
Pros
free snacks
Trabajo muy divertido
Academic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeJuly 26, 2016
Te conectas con personas de muchos lugares y aprendes de ellos y sus culturas.
Pros
horario, sueldo
Cons
no te garantizan estabilidad laboral
Overall Good Directon
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLApril 27, 2016
Please be aware if you are not who you say you are on your resume you will not do well here. In the past Ive had people coming into my department claiming to be able to do things then needing tons of hand holding. I think a lot of the bad reviews are people that were fired for poor performance and it is hard to keep up with some of the demands but if you have the skill set you will be just fine. Ive seen the Marketing depart go from 3 people to 15 people its just amazing and of course along the way posers came and went. Just be ready when you apply for a position make sure you aren't fooling your self.
Pros
Free food & drinks, Great Pay, Benefits, Office
Cons
Senior Management a bit Junior, Message can change very quickly
Toxic and dog-eat-dog environment
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLFebruary 17, 2016
Open English is one of the worst places to work. There's no clear leadership from Management, they change their strategy on a daily basis. Upper Management has no consideration or respect for the employees. New employees receive no training - it's sink or swim. Good and hard-working employees are not valued. However, if you're in the good graces of any of the C-level executives, then you can keep your job and get promoted; even if you don't have a clue on how to do your job.
Pros
Casual dress code, good health insurance
Cons
Low pay, long work hours, high employee turnover
Official response from Open English
May 24, 2016

To Intrigued Jobseekers,

I have been the head of Human Resources for Open English since March 2015. In my career, I’ve worked in HR for a variety of industries for the past 10 years, mostly in the non-profit sector. When I made the decision to transition into the for-profit world, I knew I wanted to join a mission-based company. I was extremely selective in my job search when I arrived in Miami almost two years ago and I joined OE because of the Executive team. Their vision for what Open English has become and will be in the next few years is inspiring. The fact that we provide an affordable online platform for adults in emerging markets to learn English is life changing for them. I took on running our Human Resources function because I could see the Leadership’s genuine interest in investing in top talent and putting into place best-in-class, progressive employment policies and practices. We’ve implemented an open paid time off policy, added a 401k match, and paid maternity/paternity leave to name a few. We host many employee events through our Social Committee. We continuously invest in benefits to offer the best at no incremental cost to employees. We have always provided outside learning opportunities for top performers but this year are launching a formal professional development program as well as a formal employee recognition program.

In 2015, our voluntary turnover rate in HQ was 5.7%. Total turnover rate was 13.3% if you include the folks who were dismissed for low performance. The HR industry standard that companies, regardless of industry, aim for is around 10%  more... turnover. Business needs change and low performers are inevitable due to personal reasons, culture fit, and disconnect on skill level needed.

OE is a high performance organization and as a late-stage startup it is a very fast-paced and exhilarating work environment. Naturally this is not a place where everyone can thrive, but we ensure candidates meet with as many people as possible during the interview process to ensure a mutual culture fit. Since I have been with the company we have been hiring the best Miami has to offer. The Leadership team does a great job of recognizing those who go above and beyond with public praise and spot bonuses based on project outcomes. We provide annual salary increases for both cost of living and performance. Individuals have been promoted 2-3 times in a two year period including Executives, corporate office staff, remotely-based support staff into office-based roles, and temps/contractors to employee status. A major milestone in 2015 was the significant investment made to convert our US-based teachers from contractors to employees. This investment in them and the business enables us to provide a better service and quality for the students.

My hope is that this gives you a clearer picture about what it is like at OE in 2016. Read the very REAL reviews of employees who have been hired since I started who are all doing very well, and note that the negative reviews that do appear further back on the timeline are no longer accurate and while they were very real to those who wrote them, they are overshadowed by the committed and growing staff we have today. Come meet with us and find out for yourself. If you are passionate, intelligent, and hard-working you will find success here. OE is a very special place to work. It’s a place where you can be a part of a collaborative effort to grow a multi-million dollar global business. You can be yourself, be comfortable, and contribute and execute on your ideas.

If you have any doubts or have questions from what you read here or elsewhere, I invite you to call my office (1-786-671-7879).

Good luck in your job search,
Michael Teichberg
HR Business Partne

Young dynamic stimulating environment
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 16, 2015
Probably one of the best start-up companies to work for in South Florida.
Very creative, dynamic, hard-working, results-driven, yet casual and family-like culture. Great, modern, open-concept office and multitude of monthly social events, stimulating team-building, family environment and a sense of belonging.
With new leadership and HR management the company is working to be best-in-class employer with great benefits and perks - flexible hours, excellent BCBS health insurance plans almost completely covered by the employer, Unlimited Paid Time Off (!), matched 401K, complimentary snacks and beverages (incl. wine and beer), regular catered events onsite and offsite.
Management is very open, approachable and down-to-earth. Encourages professional growth and promoting/hiring from within. Going above-and-beyond doesn't go unnoticed.
Pros
Everything above
Cons
Management can develope their employees a little better, sink or swim mentality, works for those who are good at what they do
Great Company to Work For
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLDecember 8, 2015
I really enjoyed working with OpenEnglish. At one time, the compensation was great, the schedule was very flexible, the students were amazing, and the attention given to teachers was wonderful. It was also a very friendly online workplace. Teachers often collaborated with each other, offering tips, tricks, and practical solutions to our unique online teaching problems.
The company offered a lot of free training and very practical feedback.

Unfortunately, once they switched over to a new platform, this caused many issues with both the students and the teachers. This eventually caused OpenEnglish to be a very difficult company to work with.

I sincerely hope they are able to work through these issues so that they can once again be the company they once were.
Pros
Flexible schedule, students and curriculum provided, training provided, easy teaching platform, individual attention to teachers, collaborative environment
Cons
Current platform is very unstable
Worst place I've ever worked
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLApril 21, 2015
The management team tends to make decisions based entirely on gut feeling rather than any sort of data. This results in a lot of wasted time/effort as direction changes with the wind. They also do NOT care about how effective their program is - they have no on-staff expertise in language learning, or learning in general, and they dont care. They do not seem to value their employees as human beings, making hiring and firing decisions on a whim. The company suffers from extremely high turn-over at all levels in the organization - this could be a perk - if you are a survivor, rapid promotion is possible. The company's use of contractors as employees is probably illegal (but Im not an expert in employment law).
Pros
nice office space, opportunities for advancement if you dont get fired.
Cons
high turnover, inappropriately decisive management, company doesn't care about the product or customer
Official response from Open English
May 24, 2016

To Intrigued Jobseekers,

Good luck in your job search,
Michael Teichberg
HR Business Partne

Flexible, fun working conditions (personal computer)
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Part-time working as an online instruction for students desiring to learn English

Management provided constant yet productive feedback and encouragement to hone abilities as an instructor

Reserving available virtual class room times due to shortage of hours and number of instructors was the most challenging part of the job

Working with the students from various countries and listening to them progress. Interacting with the faculty members was also enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible working hours, monitoring student progress
Cons
Finding available working hours, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Open English. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight