OpenTable

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

OpenTable Employee Reviews

OpenTable is a great place to work
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 9, 2018
I had several amazing years with this company and can say nothing bad about the place. Amazing benefits, amazing coworkers, amazing leadership, amazing culture. I am so fortunate for my time there.
Not a bad gig
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 8, 2018
Overall it just was a wonderful job. The one reason for my departure is geared toward it leaning more toward a technical rep job as opposed to customer service rep. There is definitely both sides to it but it had a little bit heavier troubleshooting focus. Not a bad thing, it just wasn’t a long term option for me personally. I loved my trainer, leadership, coworkers & supervisors. Solid group of people.
Pros
Break area, Food, Culture etc
Cons
Not many to list but short training period could have been stretched to get acquainted better
Able to experience advanced desktop support
Technical Support Agent (work from home) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 24, 2018
The work from home environment really helped me since I am not able to relocate.I was able to learn lots of advanced technical support / desktop support work.
I miss my OT crew
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 18, 2017
I worked for OpenTable for almost 3 years and loved every day of it. I wish I had more room for growth. When Priceline Group acquired the company a lot of projects got reprioritized and it affected my team. I had to look around for the next step in my career growth. I had to work with so many talented and smart people. OpenTable has an incredible culture, they throw a lot of themed parties accompanied with food and entertainment. I wish I could come back one day.
Pros
free snacks, catered food for various parties, fun and friendly culture, great benefits
Cons
lack of career growth
Everything is headed to remote/queue based work
Onboarding specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 10, 2017
Have to be comfortable working remotely because that is the future of the company. I enjoyed working for OT but didn't see my career advancing there.
Benefits
Cons
No office culture, no career advancement
Wonderful place to volunteer
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Concord, MAMay 20, 2018
I volunteered on thursday nights for several weeks in a row, and it was really wonderful. My job was to help take people's bags to their cars, but it always ended up being more than that. I always got to know people and have lovely conversations.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2018
I very much enjoyed my time working at OpenTable. The work place is fast-paced but extremely rewarding. The management team is excellent and very approachable. I would recommend to anybody.
More Tech Support than Customer Support.
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 5, 2017
Tech Support Reps are working in a call center environment. You will be handling mostly inbound calls and emails. Any outbound call you make will likely be a call-back request from a restaurant. There is no selling in this role, and the people you talk to are generally pleasant.

Company starts you with an adequate 3 weeks of training to familiarize yourself with OpenTable products and services. The technology they provide is higher quality than most call-centers (Powerful new Laptop, 2 big monitors, Good headsets, etc).

You'll work in a small team and be assigned a supervisor. There is a nice group culture you'll establish with your team, and the supervisors are generally helpful without micromanaging. Break times and lunches are sufficient enough to get away from your desk.

You will experience a wide range of call types: From simple password resets and gift card inquires, to very involved Networking and Hardware configuration. I really enjoyed some of the more difficult calls that taught me Router configuration skills and Network troubleshooting. There is a small Tier 2 Tech Support team, but they really do give Tier 1 reps a lot of permission to try and resolve difficult cases.

Unfortunately, the abilities of Tier 1 reps has a huge talent discrepancy. Some of the T1 reps are highly adept to computer/network troubleshooting while others know next to nothing. There are a number of T1 reps who have no business handling a restaurants network settings, but everyone is getting the same calls. This leads to unpredictable levels of service that restaurants receive when
  more... calling the support line.

I personally don't think the recruitment team is honest enough with applicants about how technical this role can get. They focus more on customer service skills, which is important, but doesn't resolve technical issues. It's not fair for restaurants to call a tech support line and talk with someone who doesn't know how to troubleshoot. Team Supervisors generally do pretty well at coaching Reps on how to improve these skills, but the discrepancy in service abilities is still massive.

Standard Operating Procedures for handling Salesforce cases and proper troubleshooting methods were constantly changing when I worked there. This was likely due to the transition phase between 3rd party and internal support.

If you're comfortable speaking to people over the phone and have a decent general knowledge of computer technology this is a good job. If you aren't comfortable navigating your way around a computer, this job can get overwhelming.
Pros
Great Company Culture, Well Supplied Tech Products, Adequate Training, Solid Benefits Package.
Cons
Unclear Standard Operating Procedures, Disorganized Salesforce Cases, Large discrepancy in skills between Tier 1 Reps.
Great people. Great pay. Amazing culture.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 14, 2017
Best ever I've ever had. The people and culture are what make this place amazing. Flexibility with hours and working from home. Fun work outings. Great leaders.
Still Growing
Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 26, 2017
The support department is still growing an has a lot of growing to do. The culture is still a little clique-y which makes it hard to get along and stay positive. They definitely try to woo you with various seemingly beneficial perx.
Well compensation
Sr. Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2017
Opentable is strong financial performance. They provide great compensation and benefits to their employee. Fun work culture and great people to work with.
It was a pretty good job.
Accounts Receivable Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Some managers were VERY inflexible. Sometimes it seemed a little unfair, like it seemed like promotions were given based on who management likes, and not work quality. Co-workers were all great, I had a lot of fun working here and learned a lot.
Pros
Close to BART
Cons
not allowed to work from home.
Fantastic culture, wonderful employees, downtown office, profitable company
Client Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 8, 2013
*A typical workday was demanding but also very rewarding.
*I learned so many skills while working at OpenTable; Customer Service, Account Management, Training Clients, Project Management.
*Management was always there to help, train and encourage the employees to do their best.
*My co-workers were fun, encouraging and always there to help.
*The hardest part of the job was time management. I had the entire East Coast Restaurants to manage, train and review billing. All employees took the work home just to keep up with the load.
*The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees, outings to baseball games plus helping the clients so they were satisfied and happy!
Pros
great office and location, decent benefits and bringing the company public on the stock exchange.
Cons
too many clients to handle, not enough employees in our division.
Great Job Good pay and benefits
Tech Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Work at homeOctober 13, 2017
Everything was good about this job except one of the support agents but you have bad apples everywhere.
This was a work at home position with good pay and good benefits which is rare.
The people that called in were mostly restaurant workers which were the nicest people.
They did give you mandatory overtime which is much better than working for a call center that grinds you down with back to back calls and doesn't care about the customers.
Pros
work at home good pay great people calling
Cons
One agent that was supposed to help you wasn't much help
Exciting place to work, lots of snacks and employee oriented
Cash Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2017
A very happy place to work a lot of activities that involves the employees. Deadline driven work schedule, learned a lot about the restaurant industry. Managers have monthly one on one with their group to update and see if improvement is needed. Casual atmosphere culture open space. Hardest part trying to learn the software while meeting deadlines.
Smart, young and innovative people!
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2012
productive work in a laid back environment. Great benefits- tons of room for growth.
Productive and fun place to work
JRM (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2013
Its a great place to work, I love my co workers and management team.
fun workplace, free food everyday
AP Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94104November 17, 2017
Young vibrant crowd, fun place, free food everyday, fair managers. Finance Software Systems not so intuitive. High turnover. Office dusty and cluttered. Senior level execs seem unfriendly/aloof.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
slow, unintuitive systems
Start up vibe for Non start up company
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 20, 2016
The company was taking over an outbound call center for Computer/Network Support Technicians. Well they branded it as that but the pay to way lower than the standard and than labeled it as plain CSR. Even though I would route into people's internet networks and systems every day. The most they cared about was not solving the issue but making sure the consumer was left satisfied and smiling. I get that but I thought I was going in as a tech network position. Didn't know this was going to be phone help phone center.
Pros
break room has free cold brew coffee and beer.
Cons
Short breaks, no perks, bad benefits
Positive environment in which to cook high quality food for catered events.
Chef (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 11, 2014
I have had a very positive experience working for Open Table. I have learned a lot and become very proficient in working under extreme pressure with very high expectations on quality--a skill that translates into any position. This type of environment places a strong emphasis on individual skill level and being able to manage personal tasks to remain efficient and stay ahead of a time window. While there is kitchen management, largely there is a lot of trust placed in individual cooks to execute quality dishes with little to no micromanagement. This requires an ability to make on the fly decisions that will reflect positively on the company.

My only complaint is that catering is sort of a fickle industry. There are slow seasons and busy seasons, and slow seasons are very unpredictable and have meant a level of financial instability that makes me uncomfortable.
Pros
meals, working with great product, people, learning opportunities, good pay rate, the owner is a gem of a human
Cons
erratic management, unpredictable scheduling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OpenTable. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight