Operation Hope Employee Reviews

Poor management
Financial Coach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 30, 2018
Stay away from this company. The mission of the company is great , you get to help people improve their credit . But at the end of the day this non profit is all about profit . There is non training, non support , non Human Resources office , they don’t care about the employees, the only thing important is making partners happy $$$$ . If you have a problem you need to deal with it because no one knows what to do . The management is poor , they don’t know what they are doing .
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor management support, micro management, no human resource support.
Great energy
CAN Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJuly 19, 2018
Great place to work good people had a great time being there for seven years. Learned so much about mental health and drug addiction. Really miss working with that type of population.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Understanding
Operation Hope Inc
National Program Coordinator (Office of Innovation (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2018
My day to day at OHI was busy. We constantly worked on reporting, research, and managing databases across the US (as funding is how we functioned as a NonProfit). I learned how to multitask and prioritize assignments and request. You learn quickly how to be a team player to ensure the job gets done. The hardest part of the day is receiving last minute request at the end of the day to sure a funding request is fulfilled. In my 12 years at HOPE, I learned a lot from volunteering, teaching, recruiting new volunteer partners on the corporate level or local level, managing a site with over 650+ volunteers and 60+ schools and nonprofits. To managing the back-end databases for 7 different markets across the USA. As far north as NY, south as FL and west as LA.
Pros
Able to work independently
Cons
Title advancement without more pay.
Poor Management
FINANCIAL WELLBEING COACH - SMALL BUSINESS (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2018
It took year for me to meet my manager. I got a chance to meet a lot of good people as well as help a lot. Overall it was a good experience. I got a chance to learn a lot about myself.
Pros
Met and helped a lot of people
Cons
Poor Management
Very fast-paced and stressful
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2018
Hardest part of the job:
Open to the public and the environment of Southeast DC and clientele was stressful to deal with.
Good part: Learned a lot so worked well with ability to multi-task
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
No raises, due to non-profit, wages not equivalent to experience
very productive work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hope, WAMarch 30, 2018
I loved working for this organization. Everyone was a pleasure to work with; we all got along. I learned a lot about credit and budgeting, which has helped with my credit score.
A Good thing gone bad
Director (Former Employee) –  Landrum, SCMarch 5, 2018
Was a great place when I started19 years ago, but has become unbearable as less and less assistance was being provided. Funding sources staopped giving and unstable Board of Directors resulted in no real direction for the organization.
Woefully unappreciated as an employee
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Overall you work hard to uphold a great mission however company lacks in employee appreciation.
Employees are used and tossed. There is no career investment opportunity here. Don't expect a raise no matter how much work put in. Financially top heavy but not surprising.
Small rewards working with clients and witnessing their success because it is the counselor who makes a difference.

Corporate management lacked in quality and innovation.
Work culture was challenging and burn out occurs. Although employee 'recognitions' are given, but without real financial merits.
Felt pressured to constantly write great things about this organization while employed. Therefore, positive comments are highly suspect.
Pros
Attending public and community events
Cons
raises, promotions, career path
Impactful work changing the community
Market Leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2018
Company used its programs to impact and influence communities to change their behaviors regarding financial literacy. If your desire is to impact and influence your community, this workplace culture will give you that opportunity.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Work/Life balance
Dont work here
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 29, 2017
Lack of vision from management, too many cooks in kitchen. Unprepared to handle load of work they took on and caused stressful environment for employees.
Pros
Cons
Ceo
Team work and mission driven
Financial Coach (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 1, 2017
Great place to work and accomplish goals, pay is competitive and the people are friendly and willing to help. The purpose and mission of the company is positive for the community growth.
What It's REALLY LIKE inside a non-profit
Financial Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 15, 2017
The best part of my day was one-on-one counseling and seeing the light bulb moment clients experienced from meeting financial goals. I typically met with 3-4 clients daily and met with them for 45-75 minutes.
I learned to be an excellent listener, be non-judgmental and hold clients accountable. Consistency builds trust and My clients improved because they trusted me and followed implemented strategies to stay on track with their financial goals and life plans.
Management managed via email. Rarely any interaction

The culture .... hard to describe. Home office ruled with 'mandatory' webinars that often droned on 2-3 hours. The non-profit was data driven and that meant counselors were forced to work overtime to keep up with the data demand.

the most enjoyable part of my job was facilitating the workshops. Attendees often commented their eyes were opened regarding money myths about credit, and the impact of poor money management habits.
Pros
Some ability to flex schedule for overtime in lieu of pay
Cons
Too many meetings interfered with time to serve clients, CRM system often malfunctioned, over worked, under paid
Providing top notch services to those experiencing homelessness and hunger
Shelter Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTAugust 31, 2017
Operation Hope provides caring and compassionate services to those experiencing huger and homelessness. My staff and I have dedicated our lives to helping others achieve their goals. I am lucky to work in an environment that has allowed me to grow as an employee as well as a person. The Executive Director is hard working and knowledgeable. The work is hard because Homelessness and hunger are tough issues.
Pros
Great benefits, meaning full work
Cons
Stressful work
Great Mission Poor Execution
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  AtlantaAugust 14, 2017
The mission of Operation HOPE is to empower people through financial literacy education. The execution of these programs is left to the lowest paid employees. There are no opportunities for merit increase of additional financial incentives. There are no professional development opportunities available.New opportunities for growth are not always made public.
Pros
Empowering the underserved
Cons
No room for growth
Workplace Culture
Senior Talent Acquisition Professional (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2017
This is an environment that breeds off chaos. This company has leadership individuals who aren't qualified in any other setting. They have a desire to gossip and tear down the moral of their employees.
Great place to start career in non-profit sector.
HOPE Forums Fellow (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2017
Loved having the opportunity to be a fellow at an organization committed to community and service engagement. Learned communication and technical skills.
trying to get better
Operations (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2017
starting to take the steps in the right direction but only time will tell... hoping for the best but being a realest and seeing the pattern i doubt the best is coming
Do not work for this company!
Financial Wellbeing Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 2, 2017
This is not a company you want to work for. There is a lack of communication throughout the entire organization. Management does not know their own programs they oversee. Healthcare is extremely high. Reimbursements take 6 months to receive. Raises are not given, no matter how hard you work or produce. You are expected to take on the role of 2-3 people without any support or proper compensation. Getting basic office supplies is a difficult task.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
Lack of communication and support, overworked, high healthcare
Productive place that housed Women and Children
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAApril 14, 2017
I would maintain a safe and secure facility. I would do walks around the premise. I interacted with the children because most of them never had a male role model or friend who could show them all men are not bad. I would play games with the children and arrange movie night with the kids. I would interact with the local Police Department because of threats to individual clients. I would do anything the shelter needed including organizing, cleaning.
Pros
Free Dinner and The training i revived
Cons
No Cons
Finance Wellbeing Coach (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 18, 2017
Assisting the community and empowering people. Giving back to the community through financial education and empowering people with financial stability tools. Working with business partners. Constantly changing environment but flexible.
Pros
Assisting the community and empowering people.
Cons
Always changing responsibilities