Oppenheimer & Co Employee Reviews

Great Company to work for
Market Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
Oppenheimer a wonderful company to work for, great management and co-workers. I've learned a lot about the business. I enjoy working at this company.
fun place
SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 27, 2018
not bad at all because the work days went by very quickly. most days wed either have a special presentation or guest speaker to come and talk to us while we were given lunch
Assistant on Bond Trading Desk
ASSISTANT RETAIL BOND TRADER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2018
Fun, fast paced environment. Great brokers in the office. Manager was fair, friendly, and involved in the worker's day to day experiences. Great senior management
Great place
Institutional Equity Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2018
Oppenheimer is a great place for brokers to go if they want to get rid of the micro managing policies of big brokerage firms. Great street credit at a boutique shop.
Personal experiences
Executive Director, Audit of Capital Markets (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2017
I gained strong interpersonal skills that I've developed from my many years as an auditor. I communicated effectively and was able to build a rapport with all type of auditees. I learned to be a good problem solver and used a strong analytical approach to solutions. I had experiences dealing with high level management and listening to their concerns and needs. I had worked in a collaborative environments working on audits and special projects.
Many management changes over the years
Senior Vice President Marketing and Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
While I respected and cared about my co workers and managers, after the company was bought in 2002, the new CEO and culture changed dramatically.

The original team, with whom I worked with for 10+ years was the best group of people I could ever hope to work with. We made the best of a mediocre situation.
Great Workplace
Debt Capital Markets Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2017
I loved the people I worked with. All my MD's and Directors were interested in my career and wanted to see me succeed. Everyone was willing to help and actually wanted to help. HR is amazing as well.
Avoid except IB
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
If you went out of the core IBD business, you will be shocked how unpleasant working for this company. The managers are very mean because they need to cut your share to compensate themselves due to OPY's unwilling to pay the market price.
High stress environment
Client Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2017
The competitive stock brokerage industry bleeds in the work environment here. Sometimes co-workers are secretive with methods and procedures. The days are busy and interesting and go quickly. There are many perquisites and benefits.
Pros
Great benefits, often free food.
Cons
Strong personalities working hard and occasionally becoming unreasonable.
Keep Looking
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
Oppenheimer is a place for a well established financial Rep. There are limited resources at the firm. Management is out of touch with the rank and file.
Pros
Compensation Schedule
Cons
Everything else
Good People, But Short Sighted Management
Executive Director/Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2017
Very collaborative environment, but management takes a very short sighted view of running the business, which ultimately limits the ability of the firm to do well.
Insufficient management vision and direction.
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2017
If there was a global vision for the firm, I wasn't aware of it. No attempts were made, through compensation structure or otherwise, to encourage cooperation or collaboration.
Difficult Work Life Balance
Senior Vice President of Investments (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2017
Oppenheimer and company operates as a typical wirehouse. Difficult to independently manage a client focused approach to decision making because of proprietary products.
Pros
Name Recognition
Cons
Work Life Balance
large trading room environment, worked in 6 person convertible department within the floor.
Convertible Securities trader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2017
excellent opportunity to respond to market condition. small department lent itself to individual expression. all parts of the job ere enjoyable and rewarding.
mid market boutique
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2017
good culture. Management is not very focused on building the investment bank. Many see the platform as a step up to the next opportunity at larger organizations
Good start
Intern/ Trade Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 21, 2016
Great fast paced investment firm to work for. I learned a lot about investment vehicles and it was a great intern experience.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
early start times
workplace
DTC Clearance Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2015
good place to work for the pay was good co-workers they are worked together i typical day everyone coming as one iv learned alot from pershing it taught me alot about wall street thats were i received all my experience from the hardest part for me was communting everyday to jersey city
Pros
advancement
Cons
hours
I enjoyed the experience into the financial industry
Associate Jr. Broker/Banker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2015
This was my introduction into the Financial Industry and I loved it, The long hours, the clients, the money. It taught me and a young age the importance of hard work, and the ability to make your own destiny.
Pros
Entrance into Financial Industry
Cons
My department and senior broker was closed down.
Decent Company good people
Wealth Management Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2015
Worked there for only a short period of time ( a few months), took another opportunity. Worked out of the Florham Park office in NJ and the nyc downtown office. Both have their own unique perks. The branch manager in Florham is a great guy and very down to earth. The office atmosphere however is a very dull and boring one to say the least. Everyone has there own office and stays in there. Overall i liked Oppenheimer and would've stayed if i had not taken the other opportunity.
Fast paced financial firm, excellent environment
Investments Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Florham Park, NJSeptember 28, 2015
Busy financial office. Fast paced environment with constant potential to grow and develop new skills.
Assisted lead STOCK Broker with daily routines and handled challenges as needed.
Great compensation and benefits.