Optima Tax Relief logo
Optima Tax Relief

Optima Tax Relief Employee Reviews

Upper Management Step Up

Optima has great team leads and managers who are always available to assist and go above and beyond for employees. I cannot say the same thing about the upper management team for the exception of the CEO who is a great and caring leader. The “Director” for customer service is non existent yet changes in protocols and workflows are always being changed by her with no explanation and zero opportunity to voice your opinion. If you get lucky to bring your concerns to her you are guaranteed to get 100% pushback from her. She constantly goes over the direct authority of leads and causes major confusion in our workflow. She’s a major MICROMANAGER, but somehow never has time to answer direct questions or meet with you, go figure. A department of 50+ employees cannot advance in this company due to her lacking vision of advancement or ( made up protocols on the fly, disciplinary action taken for petty mistakes, etc) she will find a way to hold you back. Optima is okay but definitely could be better. There is a lot of contradictions here with what the company says they want for employees vs what they really do and the client care director is no help to prove otherwise. Good company to work for as a stepping stone, if you have zero experience , and easy to get hired they’ll hire anyone.

Pros

Work from home, Pto, great managers and leads

Cons

Upper management

September 3, 2020
Thank you for submitting your review of your experience. At Optima, we take feedback like this very seriously in the development of our team. We appreciate the time you spent here, and wish you the absolute best in your future endeavors.

Loved the company

I moved out of state or else I'd still be working for them. One of the best places I've ever worked for. Team environment, where everyone worked together. Crazy potlucks and social activities.

Good for now

I started a few months before the pandemic and the money is great, the job is easy but the management could be better and there's a lot of preferential treatment. Management is either non-existent or micromanaging. They have their favorites and the rest of us are pretty much ignored unless our numbers are low. Lots of turnover and a lot of people fired within the first 3 months. Working from home is nice but in the office there's a lot of gossip and cliques which gets old but management pretty much ignores it's happening so I guess we do too. Not much growth opportunities beyond team lead. Overall I would say its good for now but not somewhere I want to stay for too long.

toxic/ low pay/ bad management

Favoritism. Favoritism.. If you’re not their favorite, they step on you like egg shells. Management is horrible. Communication is the worst. Management became even worse during remote work. The pay is not enough. Commission restructure is always redone making you make even less income. Which is discouraging rather then encourage employees to work more. Management takes forever to reply to messages and emails. The pay is not enough for the work we do. Instead they add additional work on top of your job title that was never part of the original job description and yet not even additional pay for the extra work they’re including on topOf your current work. You then fallBehind in your work and it’s your fault if you’re notOn top of it yet they’re adding even more work on topWhich is difficult to even keepUp. There’s only so many hours in a day. The stress is not worth it. I used to enjoy my job. I then started to hate to come in everyday.

Zero feedback and a very short leash

I was blindsided when i was let go after 3 weeks. No feedback or a heads up that my job was in jeopardy. I believe it was a blessing in disguise because who would want to work for people like this. No development after training. I would suggest you keep looking unless you really need a job.

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Be prepared to be busy always non stop calls that are being recorded

YOU CANNOT MISS WORK AS A CASE MANAGER IF YOU DO BE PREPARED TO PLAY CATCH UP FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS! No one will help you catch up. Horrible set up nothing but mean clients always yelling at you. If you do not meet a certain number you will get a write up. To top it off you get 1 point when you call off and 1/2 a point when you are late. The pay is fair however case managers should be making more than anyone else since they do most of the work.

Pros

The CEO is really nice

Cons

Work flow, point system, too much work to handle

Csr

Nothing much to say, although there are a few friendly co workers but there cliques. Can be a fun environment from time to time, performance is strictly monitored. Point system for attendance and half a point for being late

Pros

Late shifts if your not a morning person

Cons

Healthcare can be expensive

I didn't like optima tax

I called off for two days because of my scoliosis and when I returned they told me they received complaints from a member and they needed to fire me. This was hurtful, instead of investigating the situation they told me that they had to let me go, even though I most likely wasn't the representative that they talked to at that time. And from then on it's been difficult for me to find a job anywhere.

March 30, 2020
We're sorry to hear of your less than satisfactory experience during your time with Optima. Being known for our great relationships with our employees is something we pride ourselves on, and want to make sure your concerns are addressed. Our CEO, David King, personally invites you to reach out to him directly with any questions, comments, or concerns about your experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to him at your convenience.

Not one bad thing to say about this company!

Your typical work day at Optima is at your desk but the company does an amazing job at making sure you are still being active and healthy by providing weekly wellness activities. They provide all kinds of ways to advance within the company and management makes you feel comfortable in your position. I must also say that Optima Tax Relief is one of the best companies I've ever worked for because they acknowledge and show strong appreciation for your hard work every chance they get. It truly makes you feel proud and motivates you to want to succeed even more.

Productive and fun place

In my 1 year and 4 months that i worked here, never really had an issue with anyone. Everyone is welcoming! CEO is very welcoming and they prioritize their employees.

Jobs at Optima Tax Relief

See more jobs

Ehhh

Worked for the company five years. So many changes, none for the better. Attendance system is pretty much unfair. Not so family friendly or understandable when you have kids. If you don’t kiss up to management.... you basically stay put.

Uplifting

You always have something to look forward to. This company constantly challenges you to do your best by creating goals and incentives to reach and make these goals. Family and friendly oriented environment. Lots of amazing activities inside and outside of work including charity work. By far one of the best jobs I’ve ever worked.

Management has no idea what they are doing

employed for over 5 years. Rather than promote to a position within the company, they will use you for your skill and trick you into resigning from the company so that they can hire you as an independent contractor under contract. I signed a 12 month contract and they terminated the contract before the 12 months ended because of their own managerial issues. This place pays so much less than the industry standard.

February 5, 2020
Here at Optima, how our employees feel about their job is important to us. We pride ourselves on providing a work culture that has earned us the Orange County Register’s Top Places to Work award for the past 3 years. One of our values is to operate in excellence and employ individuals ready to help Optima achieve this goal. To this end, we encourage employee development and career advancement and provide clear communication and transparency regarding positions within our company and performance expectations. This includes clear communication that employment at Optima is at-will and/or on a temporary basis through staffing agencies with whom we partner. It is not our common practice to enter into employment contracts for any specified term nor engage the services of independent contractors. We appreciate feedback from former employees so our management can continue to work with our staff to maintain our award winning culture. If you have questions regarding your specific situation, we encourage you to contact Optima’s Human Resources department for clarification.

Growing organization

Busy work environment, younger group of employees, may be stretched too thin in new adventures undertaken instead of expanding existing core services.

Good working environment with professional employees

I was happy when working at Optima Tax Relief because they offered good compensation and excellent working environment. The company gave me and other professionals many rights in working and equipped employees with good facilities and supports. The team work there is quite useful and effective. They created many bonus and rewards relating to employees' productivity and service quality. Shortly I really satisfied with the work at Optima Tax Relief.

My career starts here...

...Optima is the place to work. They have been more then helpful and motivating to further grow not just as an employee, but as a professional. Working with the best team is a bonus lol

Pros

Too many to list

Cons

None so far.

Fun people. Thats about it.

Little to no room for advancement or raises. Fun company atmosphere. Extremely unorganized management and daily processes. Personally felt I had to lie to clients to meet quotas.

Toxic Workplace

Company culture is very demeaning. Made to feel like an idiot on a regular basis and "not fit for such a large corporation". Same office favorites fed the ideal leads while newbies flounder.

October 7, 2019
I'm very sorry to read this review as this is not reflective of what we strive for at Optima. I would like to speak with you personally to find out more details of specific events to see where we went wrong. I sincerely apologize for your experience and would like to learn what we can address and do better going forward. I encourage you to email us with the best number to reach you, and I will contact you personally: feedback@optimataxrelief.com please add attention: Director of Talent Acquisition in the subject. I receive all of the emails from this account. Thank you.

Stay away

You will only be successful be if you're friends with the right people. They're pay is very low compared it to other companies in the industry. Don't waste your time.

September 25, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not what we strive for at Optima which. We work hard to provide a great employee culture for all of our team members. If you would like to share more detailed feedback, please feel free to email us at feedback@optimataxrelief.com and include "Indeed feedback" in the subject line. Thank you!

Perspective from a new employee

In a nut shell. From my perspective the training I received was incomplete and dominated my overall experience at the company. Training. I received about 8 hours of book training where the trainer went over aspects of the main software products I would be using. Company specific preparation rules such as they don't prepare Schedule C returns with no income, were discussed. The trainer also went over the companies policies and procedures and some of the benefits of working for the company. The trainer was knowledgeable about the subject matter and presented the material in a manner where I was able to pick up most of it pretty fast. After finishing the book I sat with two employees where I was to watch how they did their job. Neither appeared to be expecting me and both momentarily showed slight displeasure. After the trainer left I apologized for the intrusion and they both seemed ok with me being there. I sat with both for about 20 minutes each. One talked about a Schedule C he was working on and how he viewed the expense data he received. Basically tax stuff that I already knew. The second person made a call, left a voicemail and wrote a note about what he did. He then went over a few points of interest in the software. I didn't realize it at the time but training was over and my situation was to go south from there. Ready or not! My first day out of training I was given 60 something clients with each having 1-12 returns in various stages of documents needed and priorities. The problem with this was not the numbers but the expectations given to the -

A company that cares about employees.

Great job as long as you can make your quota. Optima is a family environment with room to grow. Its owners understand and appreciate the hard work this type of job is. They are incredible , and generous when it comes to charities. They have several scheduling slots. Human resources and CEOs are fully accessible.

September 3, 2019
Thank you so much for your review! It's wonderful to hear the positive review. We'd to know more on what would make us 5 stars as we are always working to do better. We invite you to email us at feedback@optimataxrelief.com. Thank you again!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optima Tax Relief. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Optima Tax Relief