Optiv Employee Reviews

Not an ideal place to work
Client Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 15, 2019
Company said training period is 6 months but if you don't know your training materials by 3 to 4 weeks, you will be let go. It is a cut throat company where the owner has a movie made about them called "Barbarian at the Gate." So if you plan to leave your company for Optiv, think carefully.

If you have kids, working from home is great. If you don't, this company is of no value other than it pays the bills.
Pros
Work remotely from home
growth pains
Manager (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedJanuary 3, 2019
Many technology companies struggle with "geeks" that are not trained management or people person type managers. All too often Optiv provides junior and mid-level management positions to 'go getters' that are unskilled as managers. There is a gap between these managers and seasoned executive managers which results in cascading failure towards some objectives and ability to execute long term. Good people, an ok culture, but an inability to balance short term and long term goals, growth, and focus for individuals and company initiatives results in a revolving door of experienced or skilled staff.
Pros
work at home and flexible work environment
Cons
weak management skills
Make sure you are cross trained
Senior IT Security Consultant IAM (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2018
Great company to work for if they have use for your skillset. If not, hurry up and get cross trained in something they need. They have no problem laying people off.
Optiv is a ticking time bomb
Support (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 15, 2018
The Good - the hourly wage for most positions is very good.

The Bad - Everything else.

Management in this company is some of the worst I've ever experienced. The medical/dental/vision benefits are extremely expensive - they are trying to sell employees on a better benefit plan for 2019, but its hardly any better.

Optiv was purchased by KKR (giant hedge fund) that only cares about how many millions of dollars they are profiting off the hard working employees (not managers) at Optiv. The inflated value of Optiv has come at the cost of the people who truly wanted to do a good job for the company.
Pros
Worked with some really great people here.
Cons
Management and HR are a disaster.
Great
MSS Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDOctober 18, 2018
Stressful work but friendly environment.
A lot of training.
Gained a lot of experience.
Work place culture was great. A lot of interactive activities for team building/
Some growing pains but an amazing company
VP - Enterprise Infrastructure (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2018
I watched Accuvant grow into Optiv and was there to see this small information security company grow into a large company. Some growing pains but an amazing company. The leadership is strong. Dan Burns is the best CEO I have ever worked with.
People are great, compensation is not
Marketing Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2018
I have loved my time at Optiv. The people on my team are supportive and have become friends outside of work as well. Our team has great faith in our directors and VP but we are still waiting for real results from our CMO. The culture is so welcoming and they are very flexible with work/life balance. Compensation isn't the best but there are a lot of perks working here.
Pros
happy hour Thursday
Cons
low wages
Good place to work as SE
Principal Solutions Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 3, 2018
Good place to work, great team members. At time company was focused on benefit of clients as well as bottom line. Consultive sales. There have been lots of changes since merger... no idea of the results.
Pros
SE team autonomy
Cons
Slow movement to off-board destructive personalities.
Good Company
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 30, 2018
Optiv is a good company to work for and they provide a significant amount of autonomy in performing your duties. Executive Management changes has resulted in business direction changes along with sales methodology. Optiv seems to be on the right track.
Benefits are bad
IT Security Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 1, 2018
i enjoyed my time at Optiv. I left mainly because of travel and i was having a new baby and the health benefit cost were way too high. My direct manager was great. he shielded us from the upper level management, so can't speak too much on them. I was paid a decent salary, but probably should have been paid more. They change the bonus structure which went from pretty good to pretty bad.
Pros
Work/life balance, vacation time
Cons
health benefits and salary/bonus
Too soon to judge
Named Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 23, 2018
I was a part of the merger between Accuvant and FishNet. It was an exciting time but quickly deteriorated because these were two different companies with a different outlook on what CyberSecurity means to the consuming market. Accuvant retained most of the control and put a strong focus on product sales over customer needed services. This has resulted in no growth for Optiv over a 3 year span. I have heard many good things since my departure but it is all met with a liberal amount of skepticism because there are so many changes that need to take place. Especially at the C-Level.
Pros
Good environment with great people
Cons
Poor leadership and not enough focus on the customer
Remote worker - no management provided
PUBLIC SECTOR OPERATIONS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 22, 2018
The position and responsibilities didn't receive the support or development needed to grow. There was self paced training available such as Excel and Salesforce.
Pros
Recharge
Rocky times for Optiv
Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 23, 2018
Very unstable company. No clear direction, losing employees left and right, poor culture that is ruthless, volatile, unmotivating. No stability, numbers, numbers, numbers....

People are insignificant, just another cog in the expense cycle.
Horrible place to work
It Asset and Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 21, 2018
Service desk in Overland Park is really an adult day care. Employees endure favortism, gossiping and rumors. Management and HR don't do anything about it even if they know.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
People
Growing pains
Operations (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 24, 2018
Optiv may be a great place to work for a new applicant. Those who previously worked for Fishnet or Accuvant before the merger fought through the challenges of being acquired by two different private equity companies, the merger that resulted in Optiv, and a lot of hard work and growing pains that were not recognized or rewarded after the dust settled.
Presently Floundering but has Potential
Director (Current Employee) –  USAJanuary 7, 2018
Optiv struggles to find it's identity. As the largest cyber-security provider around, we seem to be more focused on growing bigger than takin care of our existing customers. We lack a true vision and direction for where we want to be in 5 years other than the largest provider of blah blah blah....
Pros
Unlimited PTO, Fast Paced and High Profile Industry
Cons
Uncompetitive Salaries and Benefits
Lack of Trust in their Employees
Leadership (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 15, 2017
Optiv wants to be better to their teams and employees but that is not happening. Leadership doesn't want to listen to their employees. The employees have ideas and opinions on how to do things but they don't seem to matter.
Great people, Poor leadership
Director (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 21, 2017
The industry attracts passionate people who are the best at what they do, but the leadership cannot figure out how to deliver solutions to meet the customers' needs.
My Personal Experience
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 20, 2017
You can make greatness here. Like any employment there are strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for individuals and the organization to grow. I will say the efforts and support put in by my management and leadership is just one reason why I like working here.

With an organization such as Optiv, it does have it's growing pains it goes through as it adjusts to become a more well refined/oiled machine.
Pros
Recharge, Remote Work, Flexible Hours
Cons
Salary, Benefits, Processes
Evolving company
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLMay 30, 2017
Company was in the midst of going public, when I joined for contract work. Account Manager was great and always accessible to discuss client issues. Good pay for the level of work required.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Bad customer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optiv. Our community is ready to answer.