Optum

Optum Employee Reviews

United States4,398 reviews

Found 4,398 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,775 reviews

Excellent facilities

The work schedule was fast paced energetic but sometimes tedious. I learned a great deal about late phase trials and the devotion that Optuminsight has to the medical industry. Management for the most part was involved in the work I performmed. I enjoyed working with the management staff and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the change of attitude among some workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could work without interruption.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

long commute

Fun and outgoing work place

I think everyone is amazing… I contacted them and they were about to find my a job within a week. Then I went and did an on-site interview. Everyone at the clinic that I interviewed at was extremely nice and welcoming.

Pros

Free lunch or breakfast, jean day Fridays …. You can wear scrubs if you want too.

Cons

I really don’t have no cons

Optum insights

• Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

No opportunity for growth

I was promoted from customer service to license sales agent and worked in a licensed sales position for about 5 years. I had an issue with my non resident state licenses (not my resident state license because NC doesn't hold pending criminal charges against a person without a conviction) where certain states were not renewing because that was a legal issue the job continue to send calls to me in states I was not licensed in which caused me not to meet sales goals. I asked to moved back to customer service until the legal issues were resolved (they were resolved with no effect on my licenses) or at least have those calls removed from my skills. I was told that there were no positions avaliable but other people was hired as new hires and was given customer service positions but the position that I wanted was mysteriously not available. I was eventually fired (three weeks before the court case which dismissed all charges) for missing sales goals. When as a pivot agent who did both Sales and Service I was meeting goals but as a senior sales agent suddenly I wasn't meeting goals and wasn't able to be moved back to my previous position but others are hired as customer service in the same AARP Medicare Supplement dept. What really takes the cake is I was on a Medicare Advantage and Medicare supplement team and had the same goals for Advantage and supplement plans but was only able to sell Medicare supplement plans. I was set up for failure.

Pros

Remote work years before COVID

Cons

Management only cares about the sales goals and not the success of agents

The supervisors are good but they like to micromanage everything. You get evaluated on everything in a call, tone, schedule, opening/ closing. In mu dept. we have 2 supervisors and also 2 team leaders. The supervisors disappeared on the weekends, they go on vacation and they informe us on the same day. But if we as employees want to request pto the do everything in their power so you don't get your pto.

Too high expectations

Only quota driven. It's all about the numbers. Did not appreciate the trainers attitude and condescending treatment. They were more about numbers than making sure you knew why you were doing something.

First office job

Optum is owned by UnitedHealth Group, so the infrastructure is there to support and train. It was a great first office job and I still use a lot of what I learned in my current job. I only left because I needed to make more to support my growing family. Still friend with ma y of the people there.

Micromanagement at its finest

Pros: -work from home-You have opportunity after working in the role for a year to look for other internal jobs. Cons:- you don’t get paid over time if phone call goes past your shift and they don’t give you time to make up for it. So if you get a call at 4:59 and your shift ends at 5:00 PM, you’re likely working another 15 minutes or an hour longer. - Productivity metrics that don’t make sense. They should be focusing more on clinical quality outcomes for the member and not the amount of keyboard strokes or mouse movement while waiting for calls. (It’s insulting as a certified clinician.)- you can only take PTO that is available so good luck if it’s already taken - In training they will tell you that you will be supported but leadership is so slammed and overworked they can’t accommodate training or support. - not all managers are alike. My manager personally did not advocate for me to grow in new projects or tasks - managers will want you take your scheduled breaks on the time in your schedule and check on you if you’re taking too long with documentation after the call. (They should realize it’s likely because people are burnt out and moving at a snails pace to get by)- huge company so there’s always lack of training in other departments and you’ll get angry callers who’ve been on hold or transferred multiple times. - there are constant changes on a weekly basis and it’s hard to keep track on what the process is because you’ll get conflicting answers from leadership.

Great Career, pay, and benefits

Optum/United Health is a fantastic company to work for. Lots of promotion opportunities. Whether Optum or United Health you can't go wrong.Go for it.

Not a good place anymore

Been here a while, used to be pretty good but it's really gone downhill in the last year. Unending pressure and push for higher metric numbers with now what appears to be a constant overtime requirement that used to be voluntary or only very briefly mandatory. I have a family, I did not sign up for 6 days a week of work for months on end. Not even a peep about hiring more pharmacists either. Guess it's just the new normal. We don't all have WFH!Every single thing you do will be analyzed under a microscope. Formerly they used to take system issues into account with your monthly metrics but this past month we had the worst system problems I've ever seen. An entire week of massive drop in production due to our system and it affected everyone to the point of the company sending an email to address everyone and thank them for hanging in there. Then, end of the month, did absolutely nothing to adjust for that issue. Still had to hit same metrics as always. What a blow to the gut and show that no care at all for employees.No sick pay and benefits are awful. Hard to take PTO because they are always running mandatory overtime so you can't get PTO days they are all red on the calendar.Avoid this place.

Love to be micromanaged at EVERYTHING at work? Work here!

Don't let the ads of happy staff and patients fool you. There is only 1 way to be happy here and that is to chug the Kool Aid all day and all night. Otherwise, you will go insane with the metrics. For example, they measure the number of seconds it takes for you to pick up the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if they tracked how long you took in the restroom. When the staff look happy and friendly, it is because they are being measured by that on surveys. If they don't smile and cater to the patient's every whim, their scores suffer and staff gets punished for it. As a managed care organization, they get paid to meet certain measures. To meet those measures, staff chase down patients relentlessly on "pursuit lists" and call patients in for no true medical reason or need (just to meet the metric and pad their revenue). Patients undergo some unnecessary tests and visits all to count for financial reimbursement $$$. If you are a Medicare, Medical or PPO patient, suddenly they don't call you to come in or provide all these "important tests for your health." 90% business and 10% healthcare

Pros

Kool Aid

Cons

Constant fear of management coming down on you and non-stop metrics

Good

Good place to work don’t have anything negative to say a job is a job at the end of the day and you get a paycheck if you need work then here is the place to be

Great support

Great place to work, lots of training opportunities, good support from management, easy to use software, management has great availability for any concerns. Good benefits.

Busy as expected

Orientation process is efficient. Great people to work with. Remote makes it harder to connect with some individuals. There is micromanagement, metrics, metrics, and more metrics.

No work life balance and toxic

This company is toxic at least the division I experienced. The pay is wonderful at first then you end up working over 70 hrs a week just to keep up with the demands. There is no work life balance.

Only about the stock holders

Micromanagement by incompetent people that got their positions by who they knew, not their skills. Yearly layoffs, average 1% raises, bonuses only to the chosen few, and they lie to clients about the software they sell them to process claims. Immoral place.

Busy

Lots of moving parts and very busy. Not alot of work life balance but organization is good overall. Pay and benefits are very competitive. More structure needed.

Good Opportunity

Opportunity for advancement which is good, compensation mediocre. Annual raises not in line with performance or company profits. Health benefits not as good as expected given the company.

Overall a positive experience

Culture and flexibility varies by department. Overall, my experience was positive. I had mostly awesome managers though there’s not a ton of room to advance and compensation could be better given the company’s constant boasting about profits.

Ambiente de trabajo

Es un lugar pésimo de trabajo muy drenante y frustrante el trato es de lo peor no deberían de promocionar tal empresa no sirve

Good schedule

Good scheduleOkay payNice doctors Some drama but to be expected Getting time off was hard but teammates helped cover when neededWould return of schedule allowed

Fairly easy remote job

Could pay a lot more. Otherwise it’s pretty easy. Management is supportive. I’m using this as a stepping stone to look for other opportunities within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optum. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

56%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss