Optum
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100

Optum Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,756 reviews

Excellent facilities

The work schedule was fast paced energetic but sometimes tedious. I learned a great deal about late phase trials and the devotion that Optuminsight has to the medical industry. Management for the most part was involved in the work I performmed. I enjoyed working with the management staff and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the change of attitude among some workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could work without interruption.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

long commute

Optum - Great place

Optum is a great place to work. With hard work, you can advance your career and earn promotions. It is a great culture that values diversity and improving the healthcare experience.

Optum insights

Based on 2,945 survey responses
What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

It was a great learning experience with mostly great staff

I overall liked working here it was educational room for some growth.I met many kind staff members.There were times it could have been more cohesive with some team building strategies. The Dr’s here cared about there patient's. It was overall a good doctors office.

Worse company to work for

this company has so many issues its ridiculous for one they change things everyday and ding you for it, they do not accept drs notes they consider that to still be unexcused they fire people with cancer they take your pay back and claim they didn't mean to pay you do not waste your time. the management is messy and likes to keep up mess they tell you you are worthless and pick favorites quality pick your worse call and rate you off of that the people that call in treat you poorly the training is a joke they do not teach you nothing it's a waste of time the only good thing about that company is nothing

Highly recommend

I have been with Optum for almost 4 years and highly recommend.Great management, obtainable goals, learning opportunities, flexible, awesome co-workers

Productivity focused, constant micro-management which interferes

Optum is all about productivity and profit. This should make it a relatively simple workplace, but inconsistent leadership makes it a hassle. Instructed to perform a task in a specific manner only to later be questioned by another manager as to why the task was done that way. Some employees are constantly pushed for more while others sit back and do the bare minimum. There is no concern for employees beyond hitting the productivity goals.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Lack of leadership at the employee level, inconsistent expectations between workers

Horrible management that only cares about money

Managers are not at all helpful. Will tell you to reach out with questions but then ignore your emails and IMs, and talk down to you when you don’t understand something later on. Leadership constantly contradicts each other. No one ever seems to be on the same page or fully know what’s going on. Micromanagement is intense and you’re forced to explain yourself at every single turn, even if you’re just away from your desk to use the restroom. You are nothing but a number toward a production goal. High performers are put on “special projects” with more work, no additional compensation. They will tell you your project is a top performing team and then immediately ask how you can do even more. You can never get fully comfortable in your daily tasks because they will give you something new with no notice despite already being completely overwhelmed. Managers will say “they know how much everyone already has on their plate” and add more without a second thought and then lecture/threaten you with disciplinary action for not completing whatever initiative. You will be shown how to do something once and follow up questions will go ignored or answered with a lengthy response that strays from the intended question you need answered. Managers will say they’ll get back to you with something and never do. You’re fully expected and encouraged to work nights and weekends to make sure their numbers are met. This company needs complete leadership restructuring from the top down.

If you need a job that pays the bills this in not the one

25 years working for corporate America - i would not recommend this company not even to my worst enemy. So much talk about their values and we all joke about how management does not reflect any of them. Underpaid for the jobs tjat you do with unattainable metrics.

Good company if placed with a good team

I got lucky and was hired as a contractor temp to hire with my contract ending after 60 days. I was also lucky enough to remain remote for the duration of my career and have a really supportive manager and team. The work/life balance is good and I believe I'm compensated fairly based on the current market value of my role.

you can work from home

management tend to worry more about the work than the workers. There is a high expectation of staff. The learning curve is short and and you will be penalized if you can't keep up.

Too much overtime

Management and coworkers are great. However, they give out to much MANDATORY OVERTIME. Forget about making plans afterwork or for the weekends. If you’re a parent don’t work here.

Pay is horrible but it’s stable

The pay is a ridiculous. we barely get paid enough to sustain our selfs,i feel bad for people who start here and have to support a family. Management only promotes family and friends.

Nurse Practitioner

Overall Optum is a great place to work! My leadership is fantastic! Great team atmosphere where everyone is willing to help each other. Great benefits. Lots of opportunities to learn! Is fast paced so have to be ok with change and changing priorities

It was a team effort to take care of our patients. It was a very good collaborative effort to meet the demands. I loved it!

This was a very rewarding position because I felt like I made a difference every day. Personal energy was felt as everyone wanted to help each other to make it a more productive environment.

Great teams

It's a good company to work for just the pay isn't as great as other companies. The people are supportive and fun to work with. They have fun activities for employees.

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Not enough pay for cost of living

No growth opportunity

It’s almost impossible to move up in the company. There are so many people who have been doing the same job for 10+ years. They do promote internally but the opportunities are just not available. They will “upskill” train you to death and never give more money for your skills. You’re just a computer to them and all they care about are the metrics.

Dynamic Workspace, Freedom to manage in your style, Management is hit or miss

Working as a Supervisor, you are dealt a random number of cards in terms of the kinds of people you are in charge of and in charge by. I had an OM who was incredibly supportive although not always available, and let me manage my team the way I wanted to because I produced results. I also learned a lot about how to manage a team as well from her. Culture and diversity needs work - things like pronunciations of names. I saw some teams perform poorly under absent OMs. Company nepotism is extremely strong and difficult to overcome. Pay was quite competitive.

Pros

Remote, freedom of management, pay

Cons

no benefits through contractor, nepotism, lack of cultural respect

Good and bad

Work at home. Most of the managers are good to work with. Good PTO but insurance deductibles are high as most are. Unrealistic expectations. Caseloads are not balanced.

Accounts Receivable specialist

The accounts receivable department has a very high turnover rate. Most of the employeees if not all have been in the roll less than 5 years even some of the management. No good training, management is insensitive. The team leads answers your questions with questions or as if you should already know. Support is really terrible at the job. You do AR work plus customer service taking calls all day every day without any customer service training. When you first start no support system you don't get your first audit until Almost 2 months later. People always leaving. I've seen multiple people leave my time there and management is so naive they don't realize it's themWhy we leave. They take whatever reason they get and believe it. Maybe the other departments are better but the SMA and Anesthesia medical billing is terrible need management training or revamping

Accounts Receivable department high turnover p

Nice coworkers and doctors but awful management

It’s a fun place to work but the managers in power are terrible and don’t know anything about how to manage a team. They won’t stick up for their team either and don’t know how to support them. I wish I had been warned

Pros

Nice coworkers

Cons

No breaks, horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optum. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight