Optum logo

• Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Showing all 4,121 reviews

Excellent facilities

The work schedule was fast paced energetic but sometimes tedious. I learned a great deal about late phase trials and the devotion that Optuminsight has to the medical industry. Management for the most part was involved in the work I performmed. I enjoyed working with the management staff and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the change of attitude among some workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could work without interruption.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

long commute

Too many changed

The company has gone through so many changes. Many employees laid off. Lack of transparency on things. Flexibility was a positive. The direct management was not micromanaging.

Pros

Building amenities

Cons

Constant changes

Decent pay but favoritism

I was paid well and got along well with management so I was often presented opportunities. The Oklahoma office definitely plays favoritism. They promote people to positions they aren't ready for because they know the right people. They fire people based on a loud managers complaints. If you aren't in with the right people you won't advance. I'm glad I left, but I do miss my coworkers

Pros

Great pay in Oklahoma, lots of overtime, chances to leave early

Cons

Bad insurance for an insurance company, employees not always treated right

Flexible work environment

Very flexible work from home schedule and supportive coworkers.The company helps you succeed with plenty of resources and job training. I left due to missing direct patient care.

Productivity the bottom line

Too much driving between facilities. No time to use earned time and this was unavailable for payout when you leave. Unrealistic workload, cut throat attitude and field supervisor stressed to the max.

Pros

Great team mates

Cons

Unrealistic expectations

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

A not so inclusive company

The company's leadership board really lack of diversity and management look for the same stereotype to promote. It is not a good working place for minorities.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Lack of inclusion and diversity, too focused on growth and profit, not so much on customer or employee wellbeing.

Stressful and fast pace paced environment

Management makes it difficult to be yourself and if you ask a question they dont want hear it isnt appreciate or acknowledge. There is no human resource on site its a 800 number that every has to use and it realize on an inhouse investigation that leads no where. So if there is a problem with management it wont get resolve and the person will be targeted with false reports in their records to be forced out..

Pros

Team members are kind

Cons

Management doesnt appreciated outside thinking.

Dont bother they make their own desitions about your position

Such a bad experience here. No one cares you get treating horribly. If you work in office i strongly recommend look somewhere els. They say its an equal opportunity but its not. You get treated like you are not an equal.

Cons

You need to watch your back

Decent place

Not an awful place, you'll likely be underpaid and need to aggressively find work that is interesting and stimulating. Good for learning about healthcare.

Pros

-some good people, learning, Pto, wlb

Cons

-pay, slow growth

Honestly it depends on where you land...

Optum in and of itself seems to be a good company to work under and in most departments there is advancement and opportunities... but if you work in their call centers be prepared, you’re not going to get the full picture till you’re on the phones about 5 months in. Management does not listen to employees when they explain why processes don’t work and why they hinder the clients... management often ignores anything brought up to them. And let’s not talk about balance of work and life, the company thinks you’re meant to be available to them from 5 am-10pm because they’ll stick OT without fair warning... and let’s not talk about work schedule availability.

Pros

Good benefits that start from day one...

Cons

Scheduling is a mess, lunches get moved without care...

Jobs at Optum

See more jobs

Work Environment

The managers/supervisors are casual and approachable and they know to entertain and motivate their rep without being too metric focused. They have a monthly engagement activities for agent as part of their culture.

Pros

Free food on regular basis

Cons

Queue

Productive and fun workplace

Every workplace is about how well you can manage yourself. With that being said Optum is a pretty ok place to work. If you need to request time off it’s pretty east to do. Pay is average and management does what they can.

Pros

Work-life balance

Cons

Upper management really doesn’t know what goes on day to day

Just OK

Work/life balance is decent but only if you put your foot down, projects come and go and you can easily get caught working 60 hour weeks. Monetary rewards for performance are available, if you have a good manager you will get some. Salary and benefits leave something to be desired, getting more than 2% per year is a struggle even when getting top performance reviews. Culture isn't bad, they try to make the teams like each other

Do NOT Work Here

If you care at all about your mental health, do not work here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had in my whole life. Management will straight up bully you, customers are out of their minds. It’s not worth it

Good Benefits and Pay

Very demanding work, with high stress. But satisfying for the good patient care. Company generously provides everything needed tp do the job well. Work life balance is lacking.

Too much workload

Workload and tools kept on increasing and pile up, yet the pay remains the same. Also little worklife balance as you would still require to do some reporting even if itd your dayoff

Productive and fun work place

Love working at this company. There is room to grow and everyone feels like family. My job is rewarding as well and you tend to connect with the patients

Good career if you are a Monday -Friday person

Overall, the company is good. I met a lot of awesome people and I do my work. However, since I am a float employee, I get treated like I am disposable by MOST of the managers I come in contact with.

Pros

Competitive pay, 1 hour lunch break, every holiday off

Cons

I didn’t feel too welcome as a floater.

Poor Leadership/Management

The job itself could be a good one but the Management team is poor and you are micromanaged. The only thing they care about is meeting a daily quota so that they get their bonuses. There's no respect for the staff and team morale is low. High turnover rate because of poor management.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Driving sometimes 4-5 hours round trip, Always being micromanaged, No time for anything but work due to getting off late

Great work life balance

Great pay and flexibility. Amazing team work in my market. Felt very supported by my direct manager. Frequent changes in requirements for bonus that were not always communicated prior to initiating. Overall a great place to work.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Felt micromanaged at times, layoffs

Fun Place to Work, Opportunities to Move

Optum has great benefits you would expect of a business its size - matching 401k, ESPP program, incentive programs to lower your healthcare costs, generous PTO. I felt the salaries were a bit low and annual raises were minimal, but the benefits make up for it. Typical large corporation - got promoted in title (and job responsibilities) but had to wait until annual reviews to get the matching salary, no promotion bonus. That said, there’s lots of flexibility to adjust working environment (working remote/moving offices), or transferring across teams if you’re a strong performer since the company promotes internal hiring. A lot of restructuring led to several new opportunities to work with different teams and employees across the org.

Pros

Generous PTO, beautiful offices, ability to work with teams across the US and abroad due to the company’s size

Cons

Corporate pay structure leads to minimal pay increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Optum. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1K
1.1K

Women's ratings

2.6Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss