Orange County Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

you can run in the back of a car and they will cover for you if they don't like you they'll lie on you and say that you passed a wheelchair . ,
Driver (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 15, 2019
It should be mandatory that management and supervisors. have to drive the buses for two weeks a year, upper management must ride 2 weeks. For change.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
You meet a lot of cutthroat people that will tattle on you it's a lot of gossiping, backstabbing amongst managers supervisors and the drivers
all about business
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 15, 2019
Extra board is an on call position where you cover regular drivers assignment, relay and bus exchanges on a route due to brake downs or defects in bus.
Pros
overtime
Cons
inconstancy of overtime
Poor Management/very unprofessional
ACCESS Transit Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 25, 2018
Learned a lot and was compensated well but job was in no way meant for the long term. It was a stressful environment, high turn over rate, poor coverage, management was very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay, experience with individuals with disabilities
Cons
Stressful environment, extremely unprofessional and poor management
Stressful but fun and freely enviroment
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAJuly 15, 2018
Get in your bus and start to drive and meet new people every day.
Stressful some times traffic and people.but fun and can be fun and distracted because you meet people and I meant people all kinds.
Cons
bad people ride the buses and can get in your nerves
Wonderful Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 10, 2018
The "Workforce Education" and tuition reimbursement offered at OCTA allowed me to receive my college degree. The benefits and "Rideshare Perks" that could be earned were phenomenal.
Pros
I received my Bachelors of Science degree while working at OCTA
Interns Not Given Growth Opportunities
Intern (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 15, 2018
I interned at OCTA for about 1.5yrs and was continuously told by upper management what a great asset I was to the authority. After interning and graduating from college, I was continuously (verbally)promised full time career opportunities. Time came and went and there was no movement or job postings for associate level positions.

OCTA is comprised of around 10% millennials employees. It is internally acknowledged that there is a need for millennial employees. The internship program places hardworking, career-driven millennials into the agency that internally claims they need younger employees. The agency, in turn, willingly allows these young interns to leave after their two years is up and persue careers elsewhere. This is all because the boomers who work here are taking up space waiting out their retirements, leaving absolutely no room for growth or career advancement for interns.

I have personally witnessed incompetent career "professionals", making 6 figures, not know how to utilize excel, microsoft office suite, simple word documents, and have even assisted in the training of these incompetent workers making 10Xs more than I did as an intern.

It is a shame that interns are not given the respect and opportunities they deserve at this authority.
34 years
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CA 92868January 21, 2018
this job afforded me as a single mother to provide for my 3 children.
I learned empathy for others and to show respect for all the passengers that boarded my bus. I had the opportunity to work in the training department, train new employees. The hours can be rough. But at the end of the day I had helped someone either getting them somewhere they've never been, or helped a blind person across the street. The job had its rewards and reminders, be thankful for what you have and the golden rule of life.
Pros
the people you work with.
Cons
the number of homeless.
Exemplary employer
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CaDecember 29, 2017
though my time at this employer was short it was very valuable. I learned safety above all else. I drove busses all kinds of buses throughout Orange County Ca. and enjoyed every minute of it
Pros
health programs, routes, employee relations
Cons
I worked here for a very long time and had a great manager however when my manager retired and replaced by someone else it wasn't the same
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 21, 2017
I found OCTA to be a great place to work for a very long time. I had a wonderful manager which I believe has very much to do with anyone's job satisfaction. I believe this is true for most jobs so even within the same company someone could have a great experience and love their job while someone with a different manager and position within the company could have a horrible experience. So it really does depend upon your manager and your co-workers as well as the job itself.

For me, it was a great place to work with really great co-workers, manager and I loved what I did also. When my manager retired and another one filled his position it was ok for another 2 years but then started to change. The environment was not good and more people had decreased job satisfaction. Alot of this was due also to a person that was hired who was unbelievable awful to work with. Before she was hired I never thought about retirement but after she was hired there was a definite decline in morale and I came to a decision that I would retire because she was impossible to work with.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, rewarded for good work, great co-workers for the most part
Cons
Could have a bad manager, could work with an awful person
Octa
Professional Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 29, 2017
• Operate Agency transit and support vehicles in both revenue and no revenue service; maintain and established schedules along a designated route, amazing ability to sit for long periods of time, be available to Agency buses on pre-assigned shifts; collect fares; give transit information; collect patronage and revenue data assigned; prepare report forms; report equipment defects or failures; and other related tasks assigned; Maintain professional, patient and courteous demeanor in all situations, continuous interactions with individuals of various backgrounds and abilities
Pros
At Times free Lunches on special occasions, Friendly Environment
Cons
Short Lay-Overs, Schedules could have been better
Fun place to work good training
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAAugust 3, 2017
Work in bound call center giving out bus information. Give a cost route them from destination to the end of the destination . We used the Thomas guild micro finche. Employees very helpful. Good hours comfortable environment
Pros
Great benefits, comfortable office, safe environment, nice employees, people are helpful, good health insurance, and he was OK, got raises
Cons
Or to drive, Lope
Offers Employee Comforts On Site
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJuly 30, 2017
The job requires exceptional patience and tolerance for abuse and personal risk by passengers. It's a nice work environment, atmospherically. Just No Job Security
Great Organization
Professional Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 24, 2017
Just go in and do your job safely. Very fair organization. Open door policy is great and management is compassionate. It is Union Teamsters, which is awesome. Stay out of the mix as you are working with a lot of personalities. Do your job, which is why you are there anyway and go home to rest. I enjoyed working for OCTA and did not leave because of the organization. My reason was Family matters. Overall It's a great company to work with
Pros
They really do care about drivers, my opinion
Cons
Need more Lay over time and if behind on schedules, to the drivers help each other out. You are team players.
Terrible Culture
Staff (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 30, 2017
Overall it is an ok place to work, but the culture in may parts of the organization is bad, a lot of nepotism. Have to constantly watch out for management, they will sacrifice and blame employees, never take responsibility.
Pros
Central location, gym
Cons
Bad management
very nice people family atmosphere
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  California (CA)April 25, 2017
worked with really great people enjoyed my 18 years there must love working with the public abilities be able to keep a schedule be on time to work no matter what if you can make it to work on time everyday this is the job for you able to maintain a great driving record
Pros
meet new people be your own boss on the route
Cons
short breaks
Good job
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAApril 22, 2017
It's a good job schedules can be hard to maintain and advancement is available,Vehicles are new as of 2016, good salary and benefits along with retirement,Teamsters 401k
Pros
good salary
Cons
Union job, stressful
Fun workplace with perks of a drivers room to relax in
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 10, 2016
Autonomy while driving assigned route and interacting with various people from all walks of life. Beautiful scenery of areas in both North and South Counties in Orange County California. OCTA services a vast territory for customers that depend on mass transit to get them to there workplace, recreation, etc. Management always willing to assist with employee concerns and co-workers exhibiting camaraderie both on the job and off. It was an adventure every day.
Pros
Amenities for employees provided in drivers base locations.
Cons
cut in overtime hours
Great Company
Capital Projects Intern (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 2, 2016
OCTA is a great company to work for and offers maximum job security. I have learned plenty from everyone who works there, and the benefits for full-time employees seems great. My role at OCTA is Capital Projects Intern and only spans the duration of 1000 hours in 12 months.
Pros
Very Structured
Cons
Temporary Internship
Productive workplace with flex day option
Marketing Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 26, 2015
The typical workday includes developing plans and managing the three programs I'm in charge of, and they are Metrolink Rail, 91 Express Lanes and Motorist Services. Some of the things I do includes writing marketing plans for campaigns, brainstorm and collaborate with team members, develop strategies and partnerships, plan and implement special events to encourage Metrolink rail ridership, procure contracts and evaluate effectiveness of marketing projects.

We have a very good team that works well together.

The challenging part of the job is to keep others on target to meet deadlines.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job is seeing the success of my programs, and increased ridership as a results of my campaigns. Also, hearing the great comments from customers.
Pros
Flex days
Cons
long days
worst place to work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMarch 6, 2015
The only Pro's about working at OCTA, the benefits, and pay.
Con's
The management has a blame the driver policy, where as anytime there's a problem they can't fix are is to much trouble to address, they just blame the driver. They just add a new policy rule that will make it the driver's fault, ex.,if a driver is assaulted and you defend yourself, your at fault and subject to termination. But if you do nothing and ask for assistance in prosecuting your attacker, it's not their problem, and your on your own.
And thats the best that can be said about working at OCTA, it only get's worse.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orange County Transportation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Orange County Transportation Authority Reviews by Location