Orange Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Good Company
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYAugust 8, 2018
This hospital I liked working at, but unfortunately they do not hire associate degree nurses so I had to stop working there one I passed my boards exam. They rarely give full time and HR takes months to get back to you, but if you ever do get into the hospital they treat you very well.
Director of Epic Ambulatory Systems (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 16, 2018
Everyone seems to enjoy what they do and always seem to go above and beyond for patients and staff. The people are friendly and open and the IT department has a good work life balance.
Hospital setting allowed for learning opportunities
Per Diem Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 27, 2018
As a per-diem pharmacist my opinion and input was included in staff development and department growth. I worked in all the areas of the department that related to daily workflow.
Pros
A per-diem employee with full-time hours
Cons
Conflicts and management turnover delayed the advancement of the department
Dead End Job
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 17, 2018
Keep you part time while they continuing hiring for your department instead of making you full time. Apply or other departments and get told they are union positions and they consider union employees first. Do not see any potential for growth or advancement.
Pros
Health insurance, Paid time off
Cons
Work holidays, nights, weekends so no life, pay too low, part time hours
loved volunteering here
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 5, 2018
My first step into health care started here. I wanted to give back in someway and I thought the outpatient infusion center fit me best. I fought for my spot here and I loved every second of it and I am so thankful for the knowledge and the experience I gained from this place. ORMC Infusion center has amazing staff, clean medical area, and great patients. I highly recommend it for both patients and those seeking employment.
Pros
free lunches
Challenging job, advancement, good working conditions.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 2, 2018
It was many yearsago, and I had many advancements during my time at what was then Horton Memorial Hospital, merged with another hospital and after I left built a new facility at another location!
Started as a cashier, collecting money and completing lab, x-ray, or other procedures orders. Learned to use a corded switchboard, and became a Notary. Advanced to Insurance Biller, then to Supervisor of out and inpatient department. Resigned, to another job, got laid off after 6 years, returning to now Orange Regional Medical Center, as secretary for Housekeeping Department, and promoted to Administrative Assistant for Development. Retired for the move to Florida.

Learned how to discuss Medical Insurance with patients and family.

Management was good in all departments that I worked in.

Workplace culture was always a new challenge, with changes in insurances, hospital policies and work load. I was also made the designated Medicaid representative for Medicaid patients, at the Medicaid Office.

Hardest part was asking a family when you knew the patient was dying

The most enjoyable part was visiting the OB/GYN Floor, and seeing newborns and mothers discharged, or a patient I had contact with insurance and not a good admitting condition, assuring them that their care was going to be covered after they would be discharged.
Pros
Learning medical vocabularies, insurances, Hospital daily routines.
Cons
Knowing that a patient was dying and not going home.
Great Place to work
Centralized Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMay 19, 2018
It is a great place to work with many opportunities to advance your self. Its a union job, with a lot of many great benefits that include health, eye, dental,and retirement.
very productive, not much time for fun
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMay 6, 2018
Very busy and stressful job, but focused on quality. Time and punctuality matter. Good bunch of co-workers and good environment too. The management is acceptable.
Pros
good environment working place
Cons
to many chiefs.
Fast paced, hostile working environment, w/ poor management team
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMay 4, 2018
New to the area and worked at ORMC for almost a year.
Would not recommend working at this facility nor if the option arose being a patient at this hospital.
Employed by the Central Sterile dept. the working environment was cut throat and hostile between the management team, management and its employees and also open hostility between employees and the different shifts within the depart. Absolute lack of communication from top management to employees. Some members of management showed open favoritism to certain employees especially on the daytime shift, open fraternization of one supervisor and certain employees outside of the work environment further enflames the hostile working environment that has already been created within the dept. Furthermore, there was never any positive or encouraging feedback from any of the management team. Top management does not have control of the department and further adds to the drama and chaos that abounds, while turning a blind eye to the favoritism and pettiness of some of the employees. Patient care should be the top priority of the department, but cannot be achieved amid such turmoil. No incentive or encouragement within the department to improve or further education as a central service technician.

Rewarding part of the job was sincerely in the work itself. Knowing that as an employee you had a direct affect on patient care while not in direct contact with the patient.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Hostile working environment, poor management
overall nice place to work
Nurse Director (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 20, 2018
The staff are dedicated and great to work with and committed to doing their best work. I learned a lot here, but am looking to relocate to warmer climate at this point.
Pros
great people
Cons
work life balance lacking
productive
Endoscopy Technician (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 18, 2018
Can be stressful at times, but that goes with any job. Very productive hospital, with room for advancement. Great co-workers, if you ever need a had someone is always there to help.
Love the people hate the management
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 16, 2018
Had a very bad experience where my boss was out in charge of a department they knew nothing about and caused many work issues to occur. On the other hand I've loved everyone at the hospital and overall found it to be a very pleasant work environment.
Unethical management
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 12, 2018
I did not approve of how I was treated at this company. Unethical. Short Staffed. Dealt with many snooty people. They need to reorganize their management team.
Nursing Assistant- Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 6, 2018
I worked here for a few years as a nursing assistant/tech. The pay was competitive to other places and management was great. My orientation to the unit was adequate and my role laid out for me.
Short Staffed
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYApril 2, 2018
The floors that floats are sent to vary each day. Each floor has its own characteristics. Some floors will make your 8 hour shift absolutely miserable. The other nursing assistant(s) I work with constantly disappear, leaving me with 26 patients to handle on my own, with 4-5 nurses pulling me in different directions.

It always seems that they are short staffed. I guess this isn't a terrible thing if you want hours. We are sometimes offered to work doubles, which looks nice on your paycheck but beware the supervisors HATE paying you overtime, so don't bank on working doubles often. They want their money, but don't like you to have yours. At least that is what I have experienced.

Anyways -- the hourly rate for a nursing assistant is too low in my opinion. I get that the nurses are busy with their charting and what not, but nursing assistants do 95% of the work and get paid minimally. I never feel appreciated, always disrespected... by all staff members, not just the nurses.
Pros
receiving a paycheck
Cons
mostly everything else.
Great Community Hospital
Nursing Unit Director (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 26, 2018
ORMC has advanced its care significantly in the time I was employed there. Everyone should feel confident to go there if they need care. Had personal circumstances been different I would not have left.
Pros
location and beauty
Cons
Switchboard is a sad place to work
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 21, 2018
Hard working nurses putting there patients first, things could use work in the switchboard,poor management, hostile work conditions, everybody hates everybody and no proper breaks are available due to not enough staff, management are very unprofessional
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
Short staffed
Fun
LVN (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 17, 2018
I haven't worked for this company in over 12 years so I can't speak to it's current environment. I did enjoy working there and would have stayed if I did not move.
Working as a staff nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 16, 2018
Orange Regional Medical Center is a great organization to work for. Working at the hospital has allowed me the opportunity to advance my knowledge and skills in the critical care setting. The hospital encourages growth and development in both academics and nursing skill. Over the last twenty four years I have been able to advance my skills in assessment, treatment and knowledge of the critical care patients. ORMC encourages collaboration between its professionals to treat and care for the patient population to deliver the highest quality of care. I enjoy being part of the organization and the care it delivers.
Working in the critical care setting can be challenging both physically and mentally. The ratio is usually two patients per nurse. The patients population is made up of adults who suffer from illnesses that are life threatening or critical in nature. Staff is supportive to each other to complete the work needed to care for the patients. The joy of working comes from the positive outcomes for the patient and his or her family.
Pros
professional growth
Cons
documentation required
Ok!
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYMarch 13, 2018
As a nursing assistant it is fast paced and rewarding at times. This is not just a paycheck job, which is most of the staffings outlook. The pay is decent but the staff could use improvement. It was like being in high school again. Lots of drama and management only cared about their RN in a few departments. The staffing department is amazing, any RNs I worked with are great, some think they are on a pedalstool and can treat anyone however they please, and most floor supervisors are amazing. Many of the nursing assistants were lazy and would have you doing most of the work. I did like majority or my co-workers and would advise a kind compassionate person to work here. It can be very frustrating at times but overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
Compassionate workers, decent pay and benefits, staffing, education opportunities
Cons
Lazy workers, drama, float supervisor, work/ home balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orange Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Orange Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location