Orbital ATK Employee Reviews

I left for a reason
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTOctober 16, 2018
Can't speak for the whole company, but the ACCE building is poorly run by management. Short term gains were prioritized even if it meant big losses in the long term, Machines were not properly maintained due to this mentality as well.
Summary
Meteorologist and Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wallops Island, VAOctober 9, 2018
Management is hard to please, worried about pleasing the customer more than employees. Leaves it up to the contractor and no management in meetings with customer.
I learned the differences in contractors and subcontractors and the close relationship with the government
Innovation at its core
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 26, 2018
It has a lot of variation. Great learning. Hands in a little of everything. exciting programs and a challenging place to push yourself. if thats what you're looking for.
Paid pretty good, but they didn't give much direction sometimes. I did get alot of overtime however.
Senior Inventory Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Wallops Island, VASeptember 26, 2018
It was a pretty good place to work for the most part. I felt shunned often because management had shifted priorities of the position to something new and I didn't catch onto the change as quickly as I would have liked.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
last minute shipments almost every day.
All depends on Position
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2018
For technicians and manufacturing guys, there isn't much for advancement. For engineering there was, however the company is under new management and may not be the same as when I worked there.
Fun competitive work place
Charger (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDSeptember 18, 2018
A fun place to work where your constantly trying to beat your best score and get 100% for the day. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to make good money and make friends as well.
Pros
Discounts, company store
Cons
Humid, hot
I enjoyed my time at ATK.
Government Compliance (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at ATK. Some of the upper management were a pain to work with but my bosses were very good. It seemed that upper management turned over quite a bit so you just needed to hold on until one came along that you liked. Overall it was a great place to work and over 32 years I saw a lot of changes most of which were for the better.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Funding for the pension plan was ended - upper management again.
i was good at my job
MACHINE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOSeptember 11, 2018
I Absolutely loved my job there and would still be there if it wouldn't had been for all the changes. I was on days for 10 years, then moved to evenings, midnights, then permanently on weekends. I guess it would be okay if we didn't have a life, but we had a place at the lake that we were paying for, that we could no longer go to and a boat payment on a boat that we could no longer use. We also raced on the weekends in the spring until fall. I made the decision to find a different job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
got moved to weekends after 10 years
Not a good place to work
Sr. Program Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 31, 2018
The leadership is what makes this company difficult to work with. They do not hold the same rules and standards for all employees. It is up to each individual department and manager to decide how employees are treated or to what extent flexibility to balance work and life are afforded. I've seen people fail in their current position yet get promoted to positions to which they are not qualified for or even know, for that matter. Yet when they have good productive employees, they are overlooked and kept in place with no career advancement opportunities. I've also seen quite qualified individuals from within the company get overlooked for outside hires instead of promoting within first. I would not recommend this company with the current leadership at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. The corporation itself may be different at other locations. While the benefits and PTO are great, it is not enough at this location to keep a good employee...and they wonder why they have such a high voluntary turnover of good employees. Hmmmm...
Production
laborer support (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 29, 2018
Loved the job! everything about it was good! worked the desired shift Monday-Thursday 12 hour days! off Friday-Sunday. Great place to work. I would go back

Want to know more about Orbital ATK?

Ask a question
Great Company
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Magna, UTAugust 24, 2018
I want to return to work there. I did for many years, strayed away, now see how awesome it is. Hoping I can re-apply soon, pay and benefits are top notch
managment could have been alot better needed communication skills
Nondestructive Testing Technician (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, UTAugust 15, 2018
a typical day at work was going in and doing stretches and getting assignments , then some was like production needed to hit rate and timed breaks , good part was i learned and took classes for certification in NDI level1
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 7, 2018
Really relaxed place
Learned how to operate sharepoint/costpoint systems
Management was really great
Hardest part of the job was having to do Manufacturing kits. We would always come up with ways to make them get done faster and it actually threw off the work flow.
My boss made the job really enjoyable because he always listened to my input and offered advice to make a smooth process even smoother.
Not enjoyable
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDAugust 3, 2018
There was no recognition for any work done and the company didn't really care about you.. you were only considered a number and not a person. I did not care for the company.
Might as well be in the Army
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOAugust 3, 2018
Working for a defense contractor on a military base is challenging work and the environment can be inherently dangerous. Lots of government bureaucracy, but you can gain some good experience.
Pros
Highly structured PMO
Cons
Old sometimes dirty manufacturing facility, inherently dangerous process
Fun place to work
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXAugust 2, 2018
The Culture environment was great. People were great to get along with. A team environment. Management had assignment laid out appropriate to follow. Just a fun place to work.
Pros
Good advancement
Cons
as contract there are no benefits
Great place well managed
Production specialist (Former Employee) –  Promontory Point, UTJuly 30, 2018
Was a great place to work woukd go back if i had opportunity. People were great to work with was alot of team player. Always encouraged youmoce up the ladder
Pros
Benifits insentives, great training
Cons
It's a very clean environment.
Composite Technician-Hand Layup (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJuly 26, 2018
It's a good company to work for and you work in a very clean environment. The hardest part for me was the 12 hour shifts. I am a person that prefers swing shift and I was working a day shift. If it had been a night shift I would probably still be there.
Poor management, supervisor at the time was a "slave driver" got on people's cases, especially me
Composite Technician (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJuly 26, 2018
monotonous work, felt like a lab rat, couldn't express my thoughts or ideas properly. Bad communication between upper management and supervision. Not fun
Pros
lunch times
Cons
discriminitive towards health complications
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, UTJuly 2, 2018
Orbital ATK was a great place to work. They offered a very clean and safe work place. The management was excellent as well! If they had a location in St. George I would definitely work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orbital ATK. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight