Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews for Cashier

Ratings breakdown
Eh and more Eh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 24, 2018
Bad management unless the manager liked you and department leads were powertrippy. Don't work as a cashier because you will be treated badly and be forced to make customers join their stupid and pointless loyalty rewards program.

This place prides itself on being the leader in customer service yet they won't hire anyone so in turn there isnt enough staff to run the store which makes customers angry which in turn makes this place have bad customer service.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
bad management, low staff count, forced to work every position in the store without extra pay.
Management is friendly and strict
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pismo Beach, CAApril 11, 2018
must be at work clocked in exactly when scheduled. management is very strict about coming in early or even a few minutes late. Flexible scheduling for school and multiple jobs.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks
Do not work at this company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CAMarch 7, 2018
Managers have no knowledge how to operate a business. Managers are very deceptive in their tactics and will do anything to cause drama in the workplace. They will lie to your face and have no regrets to do so. Very unprofessional and have no beating heart and soul for intelligence or people with some type of experience. Employees are the only thing that makes this company a 5 star but as far as management and all the way to the top no sense for a human life.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Everything, Management, Raises, Benefits, Pto, Vacation. Nothing is positive here!
Slow paced, but can be VERY busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Some days you would stand around waiting to greet customers, other days you had so many customers that the hours flew by. Busiest days were during sales or around the holidays.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CANovember 8, 2017
A typical day at work was basically clocking in and going to my register and right away having to check people out. it was a fast pace job , which I enjoyed.
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CANovember 6, 2017
I didn't like the work hours and the Managers don't care about your work life balance. Its not a bad job if your a college student that just needs a few hrs a week.
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CASeptember 7, 2017
A busy day working with customers, stock, return items, look for items for customers, make orders, carry supplies out, worked in pain supply, mix paint
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
short breaks
Friendly Atmosphere
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sonora, CASeptember 6, 2017
OSH in Sonora has a very friendly and helpful atmosphere. I enjoy working here and meeting people. I have learned more about home repair from coworkers and clients.
Pros
20% discount
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2017
I loved my actual job of cashiering and talking to customers as well as checking them out, however it being said that you could lose your job if you did not sign enough customers was not cool. There was also no real room to grow in the company for me. The customers were great and so were some coworkers, but company policies sucked.
Building customer relationships
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 23, 2017
I loved working there. I loved seeing the same customers come in, and building customer relationships with them. I loved working with my team, and talking with the customers.
Pros
team members
Cons
part time getting carts in the heat
Keep on looking for a better job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 20, 2017
no support from managers & leads, over worked & under paid, managers & leads don't care who you are only that you do what they say, miss treated from managers, leads & other co-workers, old people acting like little kids, too many rumors, no support from HR, worst place to ever worked, don't apply will regret it, was there for 3 months worst decision, was told by coworkers that I would not last
Pros
20% discount but managers don't want you to return item purchased
Cons
No support from anyone
Great pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 30, 2017
The best part of being a cashier at Orchard, especially for a college student, is that they pay $13 per hour even though the minimum wage is only $10.50.
Pros
Decent pay, great managers, clean workplace, employee discounts, flexible hours.
Cons
Short breaks & lunch hours, sketchy location.
Osh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 13, 2017
It was a basic entry level retail job. I did learn a lot about home improvement and I learned a lot about my abilities as a person. The hours were flexible and it was close to my home.
Pros
I learned a lot about home improvement.
Cons
No room for advancement.
Overall good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAFebruary 10, 2017
Good work experience overall. Considerate of student schedules and good training. Some registers are located outside and cashiers would take turns working outside.
Pros
Good beginner work experience
Cons
working outside in varying weather conditions
Great work environment, and awesome co-workers.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJanuary 26, 2017
I love working at Orchard Supply Hardware. My co-workers are amazing, and the environment is always a positive one. It is never hard to come to work with a smile.
Pros
Great workers
Fast Pace Workplace
Security Cashier- (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95126January 12, 2017
Orchard Supply is a very family orientated company to work at! Management at this company take pride in their stores and their employees!
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
bi weekly pay
Productive and motivating place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Working here was a great first job experience, it was fast paced at times but nothing too unmanageable. Every coworker there was sweet and nice to be around.
Great job opportunity, but management could be more professional.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CANovember 7, 2016
Orchard was a great place to work at. Everyday I was learning something new about hardware. However, the management was very unprofessional. I am thankful for being given the opportunity to work with Orchard.
nursery cahsier
Nursery/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 1, 2016
Loved working in the nursery with all the plants and flowers. Was fun and a new experience for me. Boss was friendly and very helpful. Other nursery employees were also friendly and helpful.
Pros
working outside
Cons
the hot days
Good First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 26, 2016
Great Beginners Job/ Retail Environment, It's a great place to start to get your retail experience, Cashiering, Customer Service and cross-selling.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited, Sometimes managers are hired from the outside and from other industries.