Orchard Supply Hardware Employee Reviews for Department Manager

New store
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 24, 2018
I am lucky to have been on the ground level of building the new store. It was a great process to have experienced. I don't have anything negative to say about Orchard.
Pros
great staff
Cons
turnover
Management could have been better!!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Granada Hills, CANovember 25, 2017
At first it was a lot of fun!! We built the store inside and got the shelves together, learned pricing, helped with store inventory items & where, did the ordering for (our) dept. We also helped cover with the lunch breaks for other departments. I did enjoy the variety of this job.
Pros
We got product discounts
Cons
not paid well
Small town hardware store enviroment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Capitola, CAFebruary 27, 2017
Legendary customer service greeting customers as soon as they enter the store. Management has a on hand approach working the aisles side by side with associates. Team work
fun with co-workers
Department Manager of Receiving (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 19, 2015
typical day stocking cleaning, helping customers, learned how about paint and plumbing and how to use industrial machines like a pipe cutter then how to thread the pipe afterwards, how to mix paint cut glass. Became a cashier, I even worked my way up department manager of the receiving department. Hardest part of the job besides working with customers was the management, they never wanted to listen to the floor workers anything we had to say was not important, from loss prevention to which items were selling best or how we can upgrade a show case, nothing flooring workers could say was listen to and could even cost you hours for the next week. The best part would have to be your co-workers after a while you became a family no one liked what happened to each other and everyone was always there to help you even if it wasn't their department. Everyone was always help full to each other and polite.
Pros
co-Workers, 20% disccount
Cons
Store Management switched out every 2 years and they took it on the workers
great place to work with nice people
Auditor/Pick-up dept. manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAJanuary 17, 2015
typical retail setting. customer service is foremost. great management great coworkers.
My first job that really emphasized and maintained the importance of customer service.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAMay 7, 2014
I really enjoyed the many years at OSH. I was able to move around to different departments over the years and become knowledgeable on so many different aspects of home improvement. I am great full for the learning opportunities given to me.
I miss working at OSh where I knew so many great people, employees and customers.
Clerk/ Dept. Manager (Former Employee) –  CALIF. (differant locations)March 27, 2014
I loved working at OSH. I stayed there for over 35 years. The people that I worked with are awesome caring people. I am still in contact with some of them and I really miss my customers. I stepped down from the Dept manager position and went part time when my husband retired, so we could travel and have more time together.

The hardest part of my job was when I was a dept. lead and would have to talk to someone for not doing their job well. Most of the employees tried their best and it was seldom that I had to do that.

I loved being a part time paint clerk. I especially loved it when a customer would bring in samples of carpet or fabric and asked help with paint colors for their walls. It was great when they would come back and tell me how wonderful the room looked, and when they would come back for more advice from me.
Pros
There is a 401k plan, My Dept Lead had confidance in me and thanked me often.
Cons
I had hit the maximum pay rate quite a few years ago, There is no pension plan for the regular employees.
Ok place.
CONSULTANT/DEPARTMENT MANAGER, SALES (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 10, 2014
The Rancho store had terrible management, but fellow associates were the best!
Company started to go gown hill
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2013
Co-workers often didn't call or show up for work, conflicting hours half the other staff in other departments didn't show up. Poor Management of the main Store manager.
Pros
N/a
Cons
delays in breaks often never taken, health benefits never updated
enjoyable, but not a career.
Departments Manager (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 13, 2013
The work, overall, is fun and challenging but there is little room for advancement or growth. It is retail so a large part of the job is monotonous but the people are nice, customers and associates, so that makes it entertaining. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people solve there problems and seeing them leave happy, with a solution.
What I know about retail sales I learned at OSH.
Department Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA and MercedNovember 11, 2012
Department managers are responsible for their total department. I would start the day walking my department and determine the needs for the day, and prioritize the list, then proceed. Depending on the day I may do ordering for the week or stocking the department, if needed clean. When I was nursery manager I would off load trucks and stock the tables, then meet with vendors and order for the end of the week deliveries. Depending on the season or if there may be a sale or a promotion I would build end caps or build a vinuette. If I had an associate working with me I would teach if needed, show them what needed to be done that day. Our most important task at OSH was customer service , that was what you did every minute of the day and everything else came second. Once every two weeks I would do the schedules for my department,

OSH was my first retail job they taught me the majority of what I know about working retail. I was taught that the customer comes first without them you don't have a job. They taught me how to run a department and the skills for each department that I managed. I started in paint it was important to be able to answer all their questions so I learned all about all the paints and supplies in the department that you need to paint with and then everthing you needed to know procedures for different techneches . It was the same in the houseware department, garden department, nursery department, tool department, and seasonal department. I was also taught how to be a cashier, and how to please your customer. We were able to learn also the departments that would cross
  more... with our departments. OSH would have clinics for associate to learn how to work with each other and how you should react to a customer that may be angry and to protect the associate. I was taught how to teach associates, my days with OSH I learned something new every day.

My co-workers at OSH were great they were hardworking and dedicated. I enjoyed working with them.

My hardest part of the job may have been having to not be able to have enough time to spend with your customers.

The best part of OSH was the customers.

Management there were many in the 12 years that I worked at OSH they were informative, some were an enjoyment to work with, and some not missed. For the most part OSH had great managers.
Pros
the ability to be promoted and work in many areas.
Cons
the health benifets
Working together for a common goal.
Departments Manager (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 5, 2012
A typical day at work would include getting my subordinates delegated to their duties.Sometimes helping them with their motivation. Additionally the day would include performing inventory,and between store transfers, ordering product, assembling presentations, displays, and seasonal projects. Most enjoyably providing customer service.
All the above listed was Learned with the mentoring of my supervisors.
Management was professional, and a great deal like my family.
My co-workers were always, always a pleasure to work with and helpful to a fault.
The hardest part of the day was saying "see you tomorrow".
The most enjoyable part of the day was working shoulder to shoulder with my supervisors.