Oregon Department of Human Services

Oregon Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

I was able to work from home.
I worked with a client from home for three years. It was part time but I was paid well enough to make a little more than full time minimum wage. It was a fantastic and rewarding job that gave me a lot of freedom in and outside work.

My client relocated out of town which lead to finding new work.
challenging but fun
As with any job there's a challenge to get over to do your job and do it well.

Naturally, there's hiccups in the new onboarding process, and it's not the most perfect place to be, but it's perfect for me and that's what matters!!
Love the little guy I work with!
The state took forever to finalize me as a PSW, but now that I’m in, I love it! My client is a boy with autism who is non verbal, but he’s learning some sign language and knows now how to ask for more in sign!
In-home care is rewarding, but can feel like a lot of work for low pay.
The work is rewarding, although at times it did feel a little underpaid (only due to high cost of living in the area). I loved the folks I worked with, loved what I was doing, and work didn't really feel like "work". Being a PSW is really a rewarding field, and I made my own schedule, which was excellent for school!

I didn't feel like "advancement" is really applicable, except a small pay increase for having my CPR certification, but overall my job felt secure.

The hardest part of the job is a client's hardest day. The best part of the job is getting to know the client and their family. Everyone's experience will be different, but I really loved my experiences and couldn't have asked for a better job while in school.
Disappointing
Management is poor. I've seen many of their caseworkers reach out for help and receive very little in return. Reprimands without guidance or further development options.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Positive experience, flexible hours, strong caregiver-client relationship.
I was an in-home Personal Support Worker contracted through ODHS for an individual with a developmental disability. The work was often challenging but also helped provide new insight into helping individuals with disabilities to be successful in their daily lives. Working with a private client offered me a flexible schedule and the ability to interact with and cultivate a stronger relationship with the individual and their family than I would otherwise enjoy in a more structured setting tending to the needs of multiple clients. This in turn provided me with the skills necessary to more readily meet the daily needs of my client.
It's fine.
I mean, it's not a bad place to work and benefits are pretty good. But it takes forever to get a raise and it's not merit-based, just time-based. I'm looking elsewhere.
benefits
Cons
boring
Every day is about serving Oregonians who need our help
The organization is about working with people who are in need of our services and most of these populations are vulnerable populations. The work we do is hard as well as rewarding because we're always helping people who are in need. Management jobs within the organization is a hard job as they aren't given much support from the top of the organization. The workplace culture is toxic and we don't do a very good job of taking care of our workforce. The hardest part of the job is making sure we get benefits out to the most vulnerable population as quickly as possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching staff serve as many people as possible and watching the satisfaction on their face as families walk away with benefits they desperately need.
Pros
PERS Benefits and holidays off with family
Cons
Unhealthy work environment - organizational culture needs to change from the top
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oregon Department of Human Services?
This was a fast-paced, very interesting environment.
This was a fast-paced, very interesting environment. The co-workers were congenial, supportive, and encouraging. The software and various program used were difficult - somewhat cumbersome, but the agency was reportedly in the process of switching over to a different system.

The culture was inclusive and diverse - a true joy. The attire was business casual.

I wish my former co-workers all the best, and I wish the organization nothing but success.
Pros
The co-workers were wonderful; the culture was inclusive and diverse.
Cons
For me, this was an experience that I am grateful to have had; the position was, for me, not a good fit.
A department in transition
Oregon is one of the lowest performers for human services in the US, specifically in child welfare. The current DHS leadership (2018/2019) is the right group of people to change this department. Job seekers should note that change is slow and the budget is only 85% of what the department needs to run effectively. Even with a team of good managers and staff, unless Oregon's legislature increases DHS's budget, the service, the work, and the expectations of what you can do to help people will all fall short. As an employee, lack of funding makes an already hard job harder. This affects morale and job stability.
Pros
Great people who really care, flex scheduling, work from home options
Cons
outdated infrastructure and information architecture - welcome to 1998!
Great Place to Work and Make a Difference
This is a great place to work if you want to make a difference in your community. This is critical work and everyday brings a new challenge. The agency has many opportunities to grow a meaningful and rewarding career.
Pros
Strong mission driven management style
Cons
It was a great job helping elderly people do there daily task so they could still live on there own.
I got to help do daily chores and errands for elderly people. It was so fun to hear the stories about their lives and to meet their family and to see how much they cared about their well being and how they appreciated what I did for their loved ones.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Driving, to do errands in dangerous weather.
Great enviroment
Great place to develop a carrier, nice environment, great people, possibility to move up,
Loved working with people
I love that this program allows the elderly to stay ion their own home. There should be better communication between the caregivers and the case workers.
Great work environment , great for career advancement in social services
My job as a human service specialist gave me the opportunity to broad my ability to work with people in assisting in different ways. I became a Spanish-English translator, interpreter, provided customer service, phone interviews, application processing, data entry , etc. The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving feedback from clients, and appreciation for my assistance. The hardest part of my job would be having to be the bearer of bad news to clients when they don't qualify for benefits. Having to deal with different situations and cases overall has taught me qualities such as patience, being attentive to details, and being optimistic to everybody I come in contact with.
Pros
full time with great benefits
Cons
some miscommunication issues
Great place to work, not enough work for me.
I was hired as a private contractor to see clients in their homes, at the family center, or at DHS. This was great. I really enjoyed feeling that I could make a difference in the life of a child who is at risk. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough work to keep me busy. I could go an entire week without a visit. I would have loved to continue work there, but as I was a contracted employee paid only for the time that I was working, I was unable to make enough to support my family. Those with whom I worked we incredible advocates and family coaches.
Pros
They are wonderful people doing important work.
Cons
Not enough work to stay busy
Department of Human Services (Child Welfare)
This place would have been a good place to work if the supervisors in this place took the time to help people when they first get through the door. The training that you go through is quite extensive and long and drawn out. After completing the initial training, you are given a caseload which is almost not able to be managed. Aside from this I had supervisors that did not want to help me learn. The supervisors expect that when you complete the training that you are ready to go and take on a normal caseload which is impossible. Then, when you mess up they do not take that time to teach you, they just put you down and make you feel like you can't do the job.
Pros
Co-Workers, clients
Cons
Supervisors, pay, caseload
Assessing customers
Performing an assessment is a very personal and sometimes intrusive question/answer interview with potential consumers. They are asked about their abilities in mobility, transfers, bathing, cooking, hygiene, dressing, etc. Needed assistance is noted and a care plan is created with input from the consumer as to how to best meet their care needs.
Pros
Flex schedules
Cons
Stressfull
Exceedingly Toxic
DHS is a toxic company that allows managers to harass and bully workers. The environment is hostile and any simple miss step often lead to reprimands as opposed to using the experience as a way to improve one's practice. There is little diversity in Management. Overall, I would say that DHS was the worst place that I ever worked in my 20 year professional history. If one really wants to know about this agency, they should review DHS's internal audit which is available to the public. The audit was clear in showing the hostile work environment at DHS and the retaliatory nature of management.
DHS Child Welfare is no joke of a job
This kind of work can either be the most rewarding and satisfying work you will ever do, or it will simply break you and leave you a crumpled heap. Not much middle of the road working child welfare. First rule, before accepting the position, is to do a true self analysis. How emotionally prepared are you for what you will encounter? If you are a starry-eyed dreamer thinking you will change the world with your sparkly personality, you are too naive for this type of work. If you have no real life experience or if you haven't been around the block a few times, brace yourself for a side of life you may never experience elsewhere. It can be fascinating and amazing, or horrifying and dangerous, and sometimes all at once. I loved this job for many years. I thrived in the chaos and never ending crisis, knowing I was making a positive impact in someone's life today. But there's only so much abuse anyone can take. Eventually, the endless tide of trauma catches up and washes over you. PTSD sets in and burnout cannot be held at bay any longer. When that happens, do yourself and your clients a favor; get out and find something else to do. Too much is at stake to be cavalier about it. If you can no longer give your clients 100%, you owe it to them to get out. Seriously, their families are counting on you giving your all.
Pros
Satisfaction that your efforts made a difference in someone's life today.
Cons
Just like the cops, everyone hates your lousy guts until they need you. Perpetually overworked and understaffed.
Caregivers will spend as half as much time on the clock, as what DHS will want in work coverage.
DHS caregiver program is helping those that are unable to help themselves with typical everyday tasks. Problem with it is that typically they will demand around 80 hours of week of coverage for anyone that may be considered someone you need to treet as a dependant, while only offering minimal compensation in hours. Most of the clients will need more help than what DHS will pay for despite there being a union that is supposed to be looking after the workers as well as those in need.
Pros
Feel good job.
Cons
Your clients is normally terminal, your client needs more help than DHS offers, DHS doesn't actually care.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oregon Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.