Oregon Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Crew Great Agency
Wireless Network Infrastructure Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 20, 2019
I've had the pleasure of working with one of the best teams I have managed in my career. ODOT as a whole is a great agency to work for. It is a large agency that manages our transportation system in the state. With that comes unique challenges that you may not encounter in other jobs.
Was a great place to work until management changed
Executive Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Keizer, ORSeptember 16, 2019
I loved working for ODOT the first 14 years. Moral was great and the organization seemed to do the best it could with the funds it had for the public. Management completely changed hands in my 15th year with ODOT. They restructured departments for no good or ethical reason creating less efficiency and a lack of faith in leadership. These things ultimately has led to the loss of several dedicated and knowledgeable staff members that had been praised for their contributions by prior management. There are many branches within ODOT so there could be branches worth working for.
Collaborative, govenment agency with good work life balance
Program Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 28, 2019
ODOT provides a team oriented environment, working in close collaboration with business stakeholders. Although, high stress due to the slow pace but high expectations, the environment provides an overall good work life balance.
Excellent benefit package, however culture is a challenge
Operations & Policy Analyst 3 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 20, 2019
Organization is changing structure and this has create a difficult work environment and a lot of unknowns. Management is no longer leading with values; it feels more political. For state government that is looking to serve the public, not the type of culture that is beneficial.
Not bad
Permit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 26, 2019
The people are good, it’s much slower than the private sector, there was no negotiating the starting salary and a slow climb to top pay which was a big downside. The varying hours was difficult as was the once a month pay which all seems like a vary dated practice. Also many of these jobs could be a work at home scenario saving taxpayers millions in building expenses. The supplies are also top of line, very wasteful. But the environment is pleasant.
Excellent learning opportunity
Computer Support Analyst - Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 25, 2019
The computer support desk challenges IT professionals to provide excellent customer service over a vast range of subjects. There is not a day that you do not learn something new or be challenged to find resolutions to new problems/issues
Productive and fun place with a ping pong table
Process Improvement Intern (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 26, 2019
Typical workday is focused on whatever projects are happening. The deadlines are based on priority and capacity. Overall it is a very good working environment.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Long time to see results
angry people
Culvert Brusher (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 24, 2019
Not a happy place to be.I would think twice before working at ODOT.This is a den of snakes. A waste of time.Find a happy place to be life is to short?
Pros
money is good
Cons
angry management
I loved the job, hated mangers
TMS 2 Bridge crew (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORFebruary 28, 2019
The home and life balance can't be beat. The mangers most of the time suck and are very poor at doing there job. If you can get past that then you will love this job.
Odot
Interim Office Coodinator (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 19, 2019
I love the family-friendly type of environment, but feel like I need to go somewhere else to be able to advance. The hours and benefits are great but the pay of my position is not enough to sustain my single parent household.
Positive work environment
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 25, 2019
The Department of Transportation, Central Services, Financial Services, in Salem, Oregon is a wonderful place to work. It is full of people that are very smart and do their jobs well and collaboratively. The job culture is positive and friendly.
Pros
Cons
This was a temporary position only
Good people tovwork with.
Program Analyst 1 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 16, 2019
The ODOT family is supportive and very welcoming. Great benefits and plenty of training opportunities. However, the pay is not competitive. Although, ODOT has been working to correct that.
Pros
Great people qnd benefits
Cons
Pay is not competitive
This was an interesting job whwre I worke doin 33 bridges in five years.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 27, 2018
This organization as well valued team work and training. I started as a kid out of college and learned to read plans, inspect construction materials, survey, and provide office engineering. I was able to work on some the biggest projects in the Portland area like the I-205 bridge, Banfield widening, and various other highway projects.
Pros
paid tuition, training, health care
Cons
low pay, not much chance for advancement
ODOT is a fantastic place to work
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 25, 2018
The people that I work with within ODOT really want to be there, and they know that the work they do is vital to the safety of Oregon roads and bridges, so they take a lot of pride in doing thing correctly. It's a fine group of people to work with.
Pros
great benefits, great people, they want you to be happy here, opportunities for training and professional growth
Cons
parking is a nightmare, slow to change
Good benefits, but teamwork is an issue.
TRAFFIC DATA ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 9, 2018
Office culture seems to be quiet and non-interactive at times. Some coworkers are unwilling to contribute to team efforts and are unwilling to accept change in the work flows.

Benefits are good. Management seems ok.
Amazing co-workers, less amazing managers
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST 2 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 28, 2018
I'm grateful to work in a section of ODOT that has amazing co-workers, but our experience with management thus far has not been very great. Upper management doesn't manage personnel problems as they occur, preferring to keep the peace. This leads to larger problems down the road.
Pros
Excellent benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Inadequate pay, poor management
I wasn't involved with the front end of DMV, I took care of Reconciliation of documents being sent to Corporate and preparing the money for deposits.
Temporary Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORNovember 21, 2018
I loved working for DMV and the employees were great to work with. I wished the job had been full time, I probably would still be there. It is a challenge working with the public, but you go with the flow.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Short timer
Sometime is dangeruse you just have to watch out forself
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  OregonNovember 13, 2018
Retired from ODOT in 2011 I go back to work in winter.I really liked my time there but the retirements are not the same as they were.Train winter time employees so I know what I'm talking about.
Pros
Study work.
Cons
Had to move to move up.Over all favertism was preblem .
no complaining
Office Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 3, 2018
I meet some great people other than that I have nothing nice to say regarding my time at ODOT.

What I learned they discriminate against me, I was treated like their slave.

No workplace culture.
Pros
Cons
dont care about you just do your job and shut up.
Lack of management
Air Traffic control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 5, 2018
Loved controlling airplanes, Management was poor. Oversight of
poor employees was very poor. Supervisors were afraid to take action with employees who were late to work or took advantage of longer breaks
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Shift work