Oregon Health & Science University Employee Reviews

Toxic
Contracts (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 28, 2019
Middle and upper management is heavily populated with small-minded, mediocre or subpar individuals that crush the most competent individuals below them through targeted bullying in order to bolster their own self-esteem. Most of the good employees are driven out within months to a couple of years so there is a very high turnover. At the same time, under-qualified people are often hired because the pay rate is so low most qualified people can make more elsewhere and there is virtually no training provided. As such, there is constant change but little to no improvement and very few people have any institutional knowledge or understand how things work, sometimes even what their own roles entail. I've heard other employees refer to the organization as "a hot mess" and feel I that is accurate.

Much of the "culture" is reminiscent of a junior high cafeteria with the clear presence of cliques and an unprofessional lack of personal boundaries. There is little to no documentation of policies, procedures, or processes and the documentation that is place generally relies on vague "manager discretion" allowing management to treat similarly situated employees unfairly. Discrimination and harassment are a serious problem. I have witnessed multiple employees being ostracized and forced out because they are the best performers or those above them feel threatened by their prior knowledge and experience. Employees are wary of raising any problems (in culture, work processes, or even minor errors) or asking questions because they know that if they are not management they are themselves viewed
  more... as the problem.

Recommend that highly proficient professionals save themselves a lot of grief and steer clear.
Work is always open for those who want it
Night Lead X Ray Tech (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2019
I have spent many hours working alone at night but I am encouraged to work over often. When I do stay over I enjoy working in the OR we have many rooms 24 in South OR and an Additional 9 in Dch Children's Hospital
Pros
The Retirement Package I started apon hire was the state Pers it is looking good
Cons
Large facility not a lot of room for growth
Fast paced environment
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 20, 2019
You learn a lot on your feet and never stop learning. It’s excited to be apart of a hospital involved in so much research and so many clinical trials.
Awesome!
RESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2019
I had an awesome experience learning and working at OHSU. It has given me with an awesome educational foundation. Faculty, residents, and staff were all friendly and kind. Awesome views of Portland as well!
Campus Operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 16, 2019
I loved working at OHSU. There are many training opportunities if you take advantage of them. The hardest part of the job was giving my 5 week notice. I tried hard to stay, (long story) but I would recommend working there for anyone else looking for a career.
Pros
Employees and management
Ageism and Favoritism at OHSU
PAS RESOURCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2019
Overall I feel that were some excellent aspects about working at OHSU however, there was clearly favoritism shown to certain employees when it came to work environment.
Great Experience
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORApril 8, 2019
It was a great experience. Working for a large company is a calling for me. Working for PCC would be amazing. I can't wait to teach to those that are ready for the content!
Excellent working environment
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2019
Lots of great people, professional, easy to work with. Great atmosphere and supportive management. Tough to park at OHSU, but other than that, a great place to work!
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 2, 2019
Wish I could stay, but it is a temporary position. The office I work in, the people I work with, and the woman I work for, are wonderful.

Environment is professional, and very fast paced.
Working in an ever-changing environment
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 1, 2019
Working at OHSU is progressive and keeps you on your toes. There are endless opportunities to participate in research studies and contribute to the future of medicine.

- There are always opportunities for further education.
- We are represented by a great union that advocates for us consistently
- Pay is great, higher than the state average and they have a fair compensation scale
- Every provider that I have met has gone at least 5 extra miles for their patients.

I would stay with OHSU through retirement if they weren't only in the Portland-Metro area.
Pros
Inclusive, diverse, collaborative
Cons
Unrealistic expectations in some departments
Great learning environment
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2019
I learned so much about quality management from my time at OHSU. We had an incredible manager. Workplace culture was somewhat stressful; I would not call it relaxed, but the co-workers were excellent and collaborative. Excellent growth opportunity.
Pros
Excellent growth opportunity
Cons
Corporate culture is very hierarchical
people where moved around to keep up on how doctors worked
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Scappoose, ORMarch 28, 2019
It was very team orientated and makes it a great place to work.The hours where just what i liked. I was able to either room patients or do phlebotomy.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
There were none
Clinical Manager Surgical Services (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2019
Great staff, good benefits. Excellent support staff great place to learn updated medical procedures and outcomes. You are part of a learning team and your input is alway welcome.
Pros
Many
Cons
Parking and traffic
Had a great time
Externship (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2019
I liked working there, I was only an Extern and they did try to hire me but there was no positions open, I hope to work for them in the future. I see lots of advancement in this place.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
time goes by slow
Great place for patients, horrible management
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 18, 2019
Left every day feeling unheard and stressed out. Lots of employees in emotional distress with managers and higher ups pushing employees to work harder, take on more patients, make more money for the company etc. Encouraged poor work life balance and manager often passed off employee ideas as his own.
Pros
Benefits and pay were okay
Cons
Literally everything else
Good hospital, poor management
OUTPATIENT/INPATIENT PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 20, 2019
It was a [pleasure to work at OHSU although the management was horrible. Management was not good at communication, only had company in mind. Allowed bullying behavior in phlebotomy department.
Cons
No parking, staff not supported by management
Ohsu is a place to work
Relief Medical Assistant-Baird Hall (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 12, 2019
I love working for Oregon Health and Science. The office I work at was a great team player to work with and with super staff and the patient ROCK too.
Pros
Awsome enviroment to work for
Cons
lack leadership in human resource to keep employee who are on-call to be permeant employee
Full of opportunity
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 2, 2019
As an intern at OHSU, I could not be more supported. My encourage me to challenge myself and indulge in my curiosity. Working at OHSU has opened so many doors and has helped me gain skills that are highly applicable to my future interests.
IT environment is good
IT Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 31, 2019
There are a few managers to avoid, but overall a good place for IT work. Difficult application process with many interviews and tests, but the work environment gets better every year
Resonable place to work
Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2019
This can be a good place to work, interesting/smart people, lots of challenging opportunities. If you apply yourself you can do a lot of interesting things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oregon Health & Science University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss