Oregon Health Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
ok job
Oregon Health Authority (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 20, 2018
It was an ok job to work just a job was just a job to put people in the seats. Make sure the applications were filled out correctly and if they were not letters were sent out station what still was needed.
Great place to to learn added skills.
Human Service Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 16, 2018
I always enjoy helping Oregonians enjoy a better quality of life, and helping OHP clients is extremely rewarding. I have helped hundreds of people with all types of concerns gain health coverage, while also providing friendly support.
Excellent employer but management was in transition to different state agency at the time I left
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 1, 2018
Oregon Health Authority had excellent departmental managers and very helpful lead workers. Very understanding when the need to balance work and family arose. Agency was in the process coming under the oversight of the Oregon Department of Human Services at the time I left so management culture likely to change, unable to say if this will be positive or negative.
great place to work
Human Service Specialist II-Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 4, 2018
not a bad place to work, however my job was temporary. Great team leads and when you are new there is lots of support when you may have a question. I would re apply
Pros
great benefits
Cons
temp job status, its hard to become regular staff there
Fun coworkers and patients
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 26, 2018
Is a fun and exciting place to work. You work directly with patients and get to participate in their care. It is very rewarding. The downfall is dealing with potentially dangerous patients. Injuries happen. But you have amazing staff that watch out for each other.
My Experience at OHA So Far
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 27, 2017
I have been with OHA for over a year now and so far my experience has been great! My coworkers are friendly, helpful and supportive. My manager and director are focused on leadership, not on micromanaging and any changes are well thought out with input from people actually doing the work. The office is nice and within walking distance from home. For a government job, the salary isn’t bad. Our desks are equipped with Ergotrons which is nice and the benefits are excellent. When I moved to Salem, a government job was right at the bottom of my list but I gave it a shot and it turned out to be a solid gig.
Pros
Great benefits, Friendly & welcoming environment, Ergotrons
Cons
Limited resources, Outdated processes, Typical government issues
Bad place to work
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 8, 2017
Unorganized. Management were not collaborative with each other. Later, I found out the dept. disbanded.

Lower management people were intelligent and hard workers; however, upper management did not know what was going on. Rules and policy changes occurred daily, even hourly. It was very chaotic.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
team building
Office Specialist 2(Temp) (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 26, 2017
reviewing applications fro people are looking for insurance, learned the way a new website needs to be worked and how to make changes to update it. very team setting so that we could fix the system
Highly visible and impactful agency serving the state's most needy
Chief Financial and Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 27, 2017
OHA is a large agency impacting the health and well being of Oregonians every day. The agency is responsible for Medicaid and Medicare; public health; health policy and analytics; access to and delivery of care; the state psychiatric hospital; and serving the needs of the state's nine confederated tribes. It is a $20 billion complex organization demanding excellence in serving others.

The work day is packed with priorities; the learning is tremendous across a broad set of services; the culture is strongly to public service; the job is at times very demanding on time and resources; but the immediate impact of hard work is evident in its value to people.

Working in public service is rewarding especially for an agency with a very large scope of responsibility and impact.
Pros
state benefits and personal satisifaction
Cons
intense demands by outside stakeholders
Busy work that revolves around numbers, but great benefits
Human Services Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 22, 2017
Each day had a set amount of applications for OHP that needed to be completed. There was stress put on the importance in numbers rather than quality of work, as work was split into several different sections. The leads and supervisors were great, as well as the benefits and opportunity to work overtime. Opportunity to gain time off through overtime and 8 hours once a month as a full-time employee were wonderful. Keep your head down, do great work and follow the rules, and you will do great.
Pros
Opportunity for OT and CT, benefits, time off, steady work
Cons
Stressful atmosphere, focus on numbers instead of workers
Productive a fun place to work
Human Services Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 28, 2017
Great entry level job gives you an opportunity to expand your horizons, the management were supportive and friendly. Opportunity to work overtime. The pay is not good almost have work overtime to obtain enough to get by.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks
Hectic but rewarding state agency
Staff (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 5, 2017
Busy days and frequent evening and weekend work for managers. I learned here about state health policy making and program development and administration. Management, especially senior executives, turns over often due to changes in the office of the governor. Workplace culture is essentially do more with less, since the state's budget is always in bad condition. Hardest part of the job is delivering quality work everyday with inadequate systems, resources, and rushed timelines on every project. Most enjoyable part of the work is the invaluable assistance we provide in making healthcare accessible for one million Oregonians.
Pros
Rewarding, good wages and benefits
Cons
Every biennium the plans change and budgets are always being cut
fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 10, 2017
The most enjoyable part my job is my Co-workers & Managers. Everyday when i go to work I always know it will be either a good or bad day. But everybody always try to cheer each other up. That is my enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free Lunches & Games on the table while enjoying your lunch
Cons
Short Breaks up to 15 mins
Produtive
HUMAN SERVICE SPECIALIST 2 (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 8, 2017
At Oregon Health Authority I processed applications for the Affordable Care Act Insurance also known as ObamaCare. The workplace was very comfortable, respectful, and of course fun. Everyone had one goal and that was to help Oregonians get affordable healthcare.
Fun place to work
HSS2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 5, 2017
I really loved being able to help Oregonians get the health insurance they so desperately needed. I loved being the one to call them back and say "congratulations, I have been able to approve you for the Oregon Health Plan" My co workers were great, we all worked together to get the applications processed as quickly as possible. The hardest part of my job was having to call the client and let them know that I couldn't get them approved for the Oregon Health Plan. It was heart breaking sometimes when they would start crying and asking what they were going to know, that is when I would dig for other programs that I could help them with, and even when they didn't get approved for them, they were happy that I did everything in my power to help them.
focused on employee development
Office Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2017
I worked very independently, but was the go to contact whenever an issue came up. I learned how important it is in a job to learn new tasks. Management was very supportive. Co-workers all equally motivated to work together. The hardest part of the job was communication wires would get crossed on small bits and pieces of information. So it would seem like information was changing but it would just get redistributed and misunderstood. The ability to help my coworkers do their job.
Pros
monthly potlucks
Cons
lack of presence in office from union stewards
Wonderful benefits and fun coworkers
HUMAN SERVICES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 25, 2016
I loved working for OHA. Management is friendly and personable. The benefits were excellent! I learned a lot from my lead workers.
job security? NONE
Human Services Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 5, 2016
In the department I was in this place was like middle school. Very clique oriented. If your family didn't also work for the state, forget any real advancement. When it came time for limisted duration positions to start ending, they brought in bully style managers and and started finding ways of firing people for complete nonsensical reasons.
benefits
Cons
employee treatment
Committed professionals
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 18, 2016
Everyone was very serious about their work but also fun to be with! Most team projects were accomplished with everyone participating and helping out. I was also able to work by myself when needed.
Pros
great pay, benefits, and coworkers
Cons
not enough parking
A Great Place To Work
Office Specialist 2 (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 26, 2016
I loved working for Oregon Health Authority. The co-workers and management are great people. Everyone is friendly and helpful, they strive to help everyone meet work goals and be successful at their jobs. It's family like atmosphere for a high production environment. Working with the Oregon Health Plan in the phone bank assisting customers was rewarding and allowed me to grow as a person, assist others and make a difference, and be proud of my accomplishments at the end of a typical work day. This job allowed me to learn a lot and gain valuable experience in medical benefits and call center.
Pros
Potlucks, friendly coworkers and managers, great benefits, great pay
Cons
Lots of limited duration jobs, not enough permanent jobs available