Oregon Health Sciences University Employee Reviews

Family Atmosphere
Interim Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Scappoose, ORDecember 31, 2018
A very busy Family Medicine Clinic.
* work at the top of your license
* opportunities for growth
* team dynamic
*Works closely with the community
* everyone's voice is heard
Ohsu review
PAS Resource Specialist IPP (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 19, 2018
A typical day is self driven
daily clinical operations support
not much management around
the culture is we don't have much money but a good cause so keep working even though pay is bad\
the hardest part of my job is not being able to move up even though I am highly driven and motivated
working with diverse populations in the immigrant and refugee populations
Job Was Good
Call Center Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 17, 2018
Typical work day, was taking between 60-100 plus calls a day, answering faxes, and general office type work.
Management was not the greatest, they don't really have the employees best interest at heart.
I learned how to be a better multi-tasker.
Work place was very diverse.
Hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled patients.
Most enjoyable part of the job is making a patients day by being able to help them get what they want.
Very good
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2018
The working environment and the boss are very good. Very supportive staff and always maintained the professionalism. Staffs are always encouraged for innovations and team work.
Great
work trainer of new employees (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2018
Love working here, everyone is always friendly and willing to help you get to where you’re trying to go career wise. They set you up for success and help you get there
Not horrible, not great
Histotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 16, 2018
Benefits are ok, pay is lower than most other hospitals. Culture of management vs workers. Workload isn't unreasonable in my area but I can't speak for others.
Pros
Most workers are good
Cons
Favoritism and hypocrisy
Research Position
Clinical Research Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 7, 2018
I felt that my job prepared me for a position outside OHSU. While I was able to advance professionally, OHSU was unable to match salary advancements. My position's salary was dependent on research funding. While my Division had a high level of research funding, I was unable to receive a salary commensurate with my duties and responsibilities.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Salary
Nice place to work
Scientific Consultant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 7, 2018
I like the work environment. People are nice. I enjoyed the time there. I would like to go back to work there. Very beautiful place to live and lot of good food in the city.
Pros
good place
productive work place
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 5, 2018
very busy organization that is patient driven, fun place to work for stressful at times but the company did a good job of supporting us if we ever felt burned out.
Great Benefits
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 2, 2018
Days as an assistant can be either very fast paced or very relaxed, which makes up for the fast-paced days. The day is broken up into two clinic sessions and you almost always get out at your normal time opposed to other offices that say they close at 5 and assistants leave around 6:30. The benefits are great as they provide medical, dental and vision. They contribute 6% to your 401k which is also nice. There is room for growth amongst the departments and all of OHSU. Although the pay could be a bit more competitive it has been a joy to work here.
Amazing people to work with. Facilities are beautiful. Everyone is always willing to help. Excellent spot to learn in all aspects.
Resident (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 29, 2018
I had a great experience at OHSU. As a resident, I was provided the resources to learn and grow. All faculty and employees were super kind and willing to help in any way. Everyone had a positive attitude and it made going to work not a problem. I am grateful because they helped me in finding what my own goals are.

My program was very new to the system, so there were many things that were still being worked on. That being said, my program director and program coordinator were incredibly helpful and caring. I learned so much about the focuses of the program, and about life in general. The best part of the job was that our director and coordinator would meet with my team to listen to any concerns that we had, to try and make things better for us. It was also super cool to see the IT. Most importantly, the food is amazing and the views are awesome.
Great employer
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2018
I have worked at OHSU for over 16 years. Overall it is a great institution that helps so many people. Departments can vary, which will alter peoples' perspectives of how they feel about OHSU.
Horrible treatment
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2018
Depending on the manger there is a feeling of mistrust they will say one thing with a smile and slam you with a write up for little things that really were only needing coaching and or a friendly reminder.

this made the work enviourment very guarded and tense
Pros
unsure
Cons
dictator management
Collaborative working environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 27, 2018
Decisions were usually made as a team but unfair workloads caused stress among employees throughout the hospital. OHSU promotes career progression by offering free classes and educational material as well as education expense reimbursement.
well-organized and well-disciplined
PhD student (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 25, 2018
I liked working in the OHSU. they are well-organized and well-disciplined. The funding opportunity is at the highest level in the OHSU compared to other institutions in Oregon.
ohsu
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scappoose, ORNovember 19, 2018
great company, willing to teaching it employee of the job duties. willing able to train tis working to do it job. very happy place to work. would recomment
Enjoy working at OHSU
Payroll computer user support analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2018
The management is great! Give employees flexibility in schedule and time off. Thee was always room to grow. The relationships in the team between people are great.
World Class Cancer Research Center
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 12, 2018
OHSU is a good place to work but they are always putting pressure on workers by fighting our unions to strip our benefits. It's not my fault OHSU invests more than they have money to. Often we hear that we shouldn't be offering coffee or tea to our clients/patients. I don't know how much money that is really going to save the hospital but likely very little.
Pros
Union fights for fair benefits
Cons
Upper management has lost touch with the workers and patient populations.
toxic place former employee
Patient Access Service Representative (Former Employee) –  OregonNovember 6, 2018
It is a toxic place to work with poor management. management very unprofessional. It's like being in an abusive relationship. Many rounds of layoffs.Zero is clearly the best score for this company
Pros
benefits are not bad
Cons
Training are terrible
My Home
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Portland ORNovember 2, 2018
I worked there for over 30 years, It is fast paced, exciting and provide great patient care. Health care and management have changed over the years. It was time for me to move on