Oregon Health Sciences University Employee Reviews

Not applicable
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 11, 2018
Dietetic Interns are at OHSU campus on Mondays and then at a clinical sight Tuesday- Friday. Each intern is placed at a different sight and has a very individualized experience.
A Wonderful Education Institution
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2018
Every day I was able to learn something new. Being surrounded by so many brilliant people made going to work a fantastic experience. I would have stuck around longer had I not been recruited to work for a bigger industry name.
Co-workers are great!
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 10, 2018
My position was eliminated due to budget cuts. Being in a union did not help me when weighing my options. Was not given enough time to contemplate my strategy on what's next. Only given 15 days notice.
I was a volunteer
Summer Guide Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2018
It was definitely a fun place to volunteer and I had a great time getting to know the university and it gave me an ok idea of what it was like to work in a hospital. I would volunteer again!
Pros
Super Fun!
Cons
None :)
Good Peers
Biomed Tech II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2018
The commute to work from Vancouver sucks. The people in my department are fun to work with and most of them help each other out. Management needs work.
Pros
Views from buildings
Cons
commute from Vancouver
Excellent research environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 22, 2018
Pros: Collaborative and supportive environment with talented management and colleagues. Interesting work with great benefits.

Cons: As with any job in research, funding is inconsistent and thus long term job security is nonexistent.
Union shops are not fun
Field Technology Analyst, (Employee) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 18, 2018
My Manager was exceptional. I loved working for him and found him to be very responsive. The biggest problem was that it was a union shop and they took great exception when you expressed interest in technologies or work outside your specified work description.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Total lack of advancement
Adult Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 17, 2018
Inpatient and ambulatory pain management care
So much about paint management
Great management
Great culture, strong research and academic environment
In Ten years only having one pay raise
Fabulous colleagues, mentoring students, patient appreciation
Pros
Frequent teaching and learning opportunities, variety, being appreciated and respected by colleagues and staff
Cons
Long hours, administrative paperwork, long commute
Collaborative and inclusive place to work
Patient Access Specialist/Lead (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 17, 2018
A typical day you hit the ground running and do not stop. You will wear many hats through out your day. I have learned about time management and team work for the greater good.
Management is fair and has an open door policy that promotes an inclusive feel about clinic management.
They honor diversity and cultural differences.
The hardest part of the job is when you loose a favorite patient or you have the continually unhappy patient no matter what you do.

The most enjoyable part is the patients and the people I work with. They are a brilliant hard working selfless group of people.
Pros
Great work environment and Lots of discounts offered thru many city businesses
Cons
If you work on the main campus paying to park.
Professional workplace
Office Specialist II, Human Resources Records (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 12, 2018
There is certainly a lot of room for advancement or career adjustments at OHSU. As a large employer, they're able to offer many opportunities and outstanding benefits. Training and support were excellent. I injured myself outside of work while here and the accommodation provided was outstanding.
Pros
Good managers, cooperative co-workers, varied job duties
Cons
Large institution, parking
Chiropractic Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2018
worked 6am-3pm, learned a lot about healthcare system and patient care. Most enjoyable part of job was helping the patients and assisting the doctors.
OHSU is a teaching Hospital and bringing in new ideas and procedures.
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 8, 2018
I worked both in the Main OR and the Out Patient facility. The staff was fantastic always ready to answer a question about a procedure or equipment. Very friendly staff and Doctors. I worked on a travel assignment and would have stayed at OHSU but had other commitments. OHSU is a great place to work, Portland is a wonderful City to live in.
Pros
Great Cafeteria and Coffee shops throughout the Facility.
Cons
none.
Stressful and always under staffed
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 7, 2018
Always under staffed and very busy. Employees feel under valued and unappreciated. It takes a very long time to implement change. They do have very good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Terrible commute and have to pay a lot for parking
OHSU is a wonderful place to work!
Ophthalmic Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 3, 2018
I loved being at OHSU! We all worked so well together. We were truly a team! It really didn't seem like work at all. Everyone always volunteered to stay as long as we needed to. There was never a problem with having enough staff, everyone wanted to be there!
Great Pay
Patient Access Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 23, 2018
Management doesn't seem to want to make things better for employees nor is the regoniction there for a hard work job done well. However, it does pay extremely well and with some departments you have the ability to work from home.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Parking
Executive Assistant to the Hospital Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 21, 2018
A typical day is working with my staff to ensure a smooth connection between the teams.
The management is a great staff, very professional and very supportive.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working around the children and being affected by their warm energy.
Great place to work with a bad commute
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 14, 2018
Overall OHSU was a great place to get my foot in the door. I love my lab and coworkers, but I didn't have a lot of room for growth. I wish I had been given more responsibilities and given a chance to shine!
poor management, pay is ok, unfriendly communte
MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 9, 2018
I like my work, but the supervisor makes this place depressing.

This place don't value you nor the good quality of work. You and the tests are just a number. If you care about the quality of your work, this is not a place for you.
Pros
discounted buspass, ok pay
Cons
parking, poor management
Great place to work!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 8, 2018
I loved my job! Working with Residents and Fellows was very rewarding. We had a great whole team, as well a a great Sports Medicine team. It was a fun environment, but we got our work done.
A medium sized university hospital
Research Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 1, 2018
The work environment is generally nice and the compensation/benefits reasonable. The workplace culture is generally good and emphasizes health/fitness among the staff. The union represented jobs offer tremendous job security, though on the flipside, career longevity is not necessarily tied to productivity or skill level.
Pros
Bus pass
Cons
Large bureaucracy