Oregon Health Sciences University Employee Reviews

Fast paced
Managed Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Marquam Hill, OROctober 15, 2018
Friendly, fast paced, and the providers are caring with good communication. The managers I've encounter also recommend you have self care and we have access to great discounts.
Pros
parking is too expensive for employees
Cons
Discounts
Dysfunctional Management
Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 8, 2018
Poor management. Union representation is a joke. Basically OHSU hires people who don't know how to manage employees, and then the management blames everything on OHSU's structure. The most dysfunctional employer I've ever had. Manipulative, controlling, untrusting and counterproductive. Bait and switch. Was given a hefty benefits package to review at the interview. It covered health benefits at 100% cost, plus paid holidays, etc. After benefits kicker in, I found out I had to pay $150+ every pay period (2 weeks) for insurance and my job had ZERO paid holidays.

My starting pay (with master's degree) was $1 over what janitors were paid.

No professional development. NONE.

I was trained incorrectly and left to my own devices to figure it out, and received no acknowledgement.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
It's ohsu
Inpatient Registered Nurse- Orthopedics (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 6, 2018
Working in a hospital that is also a medical school, you get many opportunities to learn and hone skills. I found myself engaged in so much learning that I can now probably go to Med school.
Laid back labratory setting
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 2, 2018
Non-demanding position with lots of flexibility for hours and project completion. Depending on the lab manager, you will get hands off approach and might need to seek out oversight.
Don't be a contracted employee
Graphic Designer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 29, 2018
I am currently working as a contract graphic designer through OHSU and PSU. It was supposed to be a month long project, but the process to be temporarily hired is extremely strict and tedious.
Great Research staff
Public Health Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonSeptember 27, 2018
OHSU has some of the most caring and understanding staff. they try to make you at home if you are from out of state working there or attending school.
Pros
great environment
Cons
N/a
Good place to work with good job security
System/Application Analyst, Sr (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 27, 2018
Great place to be employed if you mostly care about job security. Nothing too special about it either way, but it is solid work with pretty good management.
Good size and variety of specialties and research
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2018
The hospital makes a huge effort and promotes the idea of having the majority of their nursing work force educated at the BSN level. And the downside is RNs are sometimes doing very menial work and not in an environment where they are able to work at the "top of their license".
Also sometimes manages will post jobs and not go by the union contract and interview applicants who are qualified as they already know who they want to hire and are just going through the motions.
Pros
access to current research and ideas of "best practice"
Cons
Nursing management, parking and commuting to the hill
Poor management, constant structural changes
Associate Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2018
Employee reviews were not followed, policies and procedures routinely changing. Unfair practices in terms of time off rotation, lack of direct supervision for Interns and Residents.
Not a Great Experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 19, 2018
My experience at OHSU was of the "never again" variety. It started out great, but once my initial boss left, it deteriorated rapidly. I ended up working for a tyrant who only had a peripheral connection to my job (as in we were both in the same division). She was arbitrarily punitive, made demands that bordered on illegality (wanted access to my personal calendar on a non-OHSU site), over-rode all the things I had negotiated on my hiring - such as work hours. Demanded that I pay for a parking pass (twice what I was paying for mass transit, not to mention the legendary waiting list for parking spaces), and openly criticized me to others. When I complained of the hostile working environment, I was immediately placed on paid administrative leave - even though I had already given my notice. This was the pattern for this division. While I met some lovely people, those who were dedicated to the mission of improving health care, this division was more like a nightmare high school with favorites, cliques and even the requisite bullies. Possibly the worst job experience of my adult life. The only good thing I can say about the experience is that it led me to my current job, which I love.
Pros
Some really lovely people
Cons
poor management, poor work-life balance, poor benefits

Want to know more about Oregon Health Sciences University?

Ask a question
OHSU is a good place to expand your skills and advance yourself within the Organization.
Refrigeration Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 16, 2018
A typical day of work will consist of taking dispatch calls and completing monthly PM's that have to do with any refrigeration systems (ex: air handlers, fridges, freezers, ice machines, heat pumps). Training up Facilities Technicians to become a Refrigeration Mechanic.
I have learned to work in a fast pace environment where time management is vital and being efficient is important in keeping pace with a heavy work load.

Management does a good job of listening for the most part, all though some complaints fall on deaf ears at times. Management tries to make you feel important and part of a team. They will try and help with anything possible and answer your questions.

Workplace culture is questionable. People seem unhappy and are overwhelmed at times because of work load and being understaffed. Management is working towards improving both of these problems.

The hardest part of the job is the work load and deciding what jobs are priority for the day.

What I most enjoy about the job is improving my skills, completing my work and talking with fellow staff.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, classes offered, friendly staff, decent cafeteria food.
Cons
big work load, parking is expensive, culture needs improvement.
friendly, collaborative atmostphere
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 15, 2018
Everyone works together to get the work done.Employees get many benefits like health programs, discounts at nike and columbia. Famer's market on tuesdays
Can count on fellow employees. I look out for them. They look out for me.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 11, 2018
Do not feel that management is looking out for my best interests. Employees should be valued based on how many years of their lives they have dedicated to working for OHSU.
Pros
Enjoy the comradery with coworkers
Cons
Do not feel valued.
Racism
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 10, 2018
A significant element of Racism could be felt there if you have a colored skin. Not everyone working there is like that but majority is, and so are the ones at the top.
Pros
Good teaching facility
Organization going through high level of change, but has an excellent management team!
CHRO (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 10, 2018
Change management challenging, but excellent transparency and communication with leadership. Great HR team with competency in all areas of human resources.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Benefits are challenging
Great culture and amazing management
Lead worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 10, 2018
OHSU had an outstanding organizational culture. There are times when we participate in department competitions or celebrate each other's achievements. We were shaped by our environment and the people that worked in that organization. The management team knows how to handle situations and its people.
Pros
Free Lunch and good benefits
Cons
It gets super busy
productive, well ran organization
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 29, 2018
Prepararing meals, providing great customer service skills, hardest part of the job was seeing ill patients I have big heart and sometimes seeing little boys girls young and old who are sick can be hard at time.I Love more then anything serving them and speaking with them giving me a chance to brighten up there day along with any family members they may have with them.
Pros
great vaction
Cons
Stressful
Productive work envirnoment
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 27, 2018
I loved working at this location. The views from our site was amazing; hiking and running trails. One cool portion was the summer Tuesdays Market in which included live music, fresh produce and awesome food. To Another cool part of the job is the new manage and Head Medical assistant was from my previous job at Providence in which made it easy for their transitioning to OHSU.
Pros
Great locaation
Cons
limited to none employee parking
Diagnostic Radiology Residency (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 26, 2018
OHSU has a collegial environment that is supporting in progressing an individual's agenda at the professional level. There is ample opportunity for involvement and there is constant learning.
OHSUS good place to work And good benefits but Environmental service Supervisor or manager whoever Supervise There is Are really bad There wil
EVS Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 25, 2018
OHSU is a good hospital and good place to work and good campany i working OHSU for 12 years but last 2 yea was a horrible working with new supervisors OHSU equal opportunity as not for that department means for environmental service It's Whatever you work hard whatever you do you don't get appreciate You have to be one of supervisor favor person to save your job whatever she don't like you thay will create problem to fire Employ immediately Whatever you have a witness whatever you have no one's gonna ask you witness no one's gonna check your problem there will fire you mediately specially if you are Immygrants or other The last 10 1/2 years I worked there as a really good happy I love my job respect my job I love it love working I still love ohsu Not Environmental service They're not part of equal approach entity Thank you Their Union 00