Oregon Humane Society Employee Reviews

Awesome Place to work- but needs work.
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 20, 2018
If you're an animal lover, this is the place for you! Working with pets has both it's pros and cons. It's a roller-coaster at times. You can gain a ton of new skills, if you're willing to put in the time- everything from Customer Service all the way up to management. The catch here is that you have to be willing to stay in one position for a very long time. There is little to no upward mobility. This company likes to hire from within, but will often pass over in-house candidates for a more flashy outside candidate.
Pros
Company events, working with pets, discounts at community businesses
Cons
Favoritism, little opportunity for growth
Foster Parent
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 29, 2018
volunteering with the human society was great, the staff there was always helpful and friendly. I can not speak to the experience of working there since I am not hired as an employee.
Oregon Humane Society is for Animal Lovers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 1, 2018
OHS is a great place to volunteer. It is a non-profit no-kill shelter and provides a myriad of programs that not only aid animals but educate humans. I would recommend volunteering at OHS to anyone looking
Pros
Dogs
Cons
Not enough time in the day
Best Place to gain animal experience
Dog and Cat Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 1, 2017
I learned most of my skills working with dogs and cats and small animals here at the Humane Society. I learned every dog is different with listening and every cat is different in attitude. Even the smallest of creatures want attention and affection.
Pros
plentiful knowledge gain. donated my time to beings in need
Cons
small chances of getting a paid position
Lack of career advancement and communication
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 29, 2017
Fast paced, high turnover due to
low pay, lack of proper training, and terrible management. The well being of the volunteers and animals takes precedence over that of the employees.
Pros
Awesome coworkers, cute puppies and kittens
Cons
Poor communication, zero accountability, no motivation or appreciation
Loved it!
Spay & Save Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 18, 2017
I loved going to work being apart of the environment where we can help animals and families. Working at the Humane society is the best job I ever had.
Pros
Animal love
Cons
Not alt of Position available
A wonderful place to work
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 29, 2016
Working with such an impassioned crew of folks, committed to the mission of animal welfare, was truly an honor.

If there's anything the organization can do better, it is raise the minimum wages for the animal and customer care specialists, many of whom are doing much more than entry level work. I recommend a livable wage of $15/hour for experienced specialists.
Pros
Terrific comraderie and dedication to mission
Cons
Low entry level pay; huge disparity in pay between management and staff
Working for a good cause
Special Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 13, 2016
I was part of a contract full time job. Mainly, assisting with their biggest event, Doggie Dash. I maintained the registration site, provided customer service on any challenges of registrants. Creating sponsor agreements and managing them in Salesforce.

Hardest part of the job was probably towards the end when things got a little hectic before event day. Just trying to make sure sponsors has what they needed, and donations were delivered in a timely manner.

Management was great. I couldn't ask for better co-workers. They helped me out whenever I had questions. Most enjoyable was knowing all the work and fundraising was for the pets!
Pros
Got to see the animals everyday! Also, my dog joined me at work.
Cons
That is was a contract job. Loved working there.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 11, 2015
It was a great place to work if you love animals and love working with people. The work is hard, fast paced but you work with a lot of dedicated, like minded people. Sometimes you can bring your pet to work.
A Great Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 14, 2013
It was very fulfilling. I wish I could get back and volunteer again but life has got in the way.
Employees love the Animals, Management Needs Overhaul
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 27, 2013
The animals are taken great care of at OHS and the staff and volunteers care deeply for them also. Co-workers were wonderful people but the management is a different story. They are very one sided and don't like to hear the voices of the "lower" paid staff. This was very discouraging and I would have loved to have worked there longer but could not stand the attitudes of the management any longer. They have lost many good staff members due to this reason.

Also, if management didn't like what you had to say or if you weren't always in agreement with them they would find a way to get rid of you. Even those people who had been there 10 years or longer. Very sad to see. Get some new, more caring managers of their employees and that place would be very good to work for! Plus don't expect to get paid much or get very good raises unless you are management.
Pros
good benefits, line staff and volunteers are great people and care about the animals
Cons
management is out of touch with their line staff and needs to be overhauled
Hard working volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2013
I love working here because the people are very nice and the place is very work friendly. Great place and always a place to change people lives.