Oregon State University Employee Reviews

Always something new to learn
Administrative Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 22, 2019
Unfortunately my position was reclassed after 17 yrs at OSU. I was laid off due to no degree. It was a hard business decision, but it had to be done. I loved to accounting on grants and contracts and working with people.
Not the best place I've worked.
Senior IT Customer Service Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 17, 2019
Not the best place I've worked. The best aspect was in regard to time off. As I seldom called in for illness, I had plenty of time off accrued and was able to take time when needed.
Osu
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 17, 2019
Oregon State University locates in Corvallis, OR, a nice and quiet college town, weather is nice (except raining in winter), people are nice and helpful, I missed it
Experience May Vary
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 8, 2019
Things are very different department to department, however my experience in the microbiology department was very enjoyable.
There was difficulty back-dating my hours to get pay for trial period work, then payroll lost two physical time-sheets.
Other than that, no problems.
Awesome opportunity
Faculty Research Assistant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2019
I was in a grant-funded program which unfortunately ended. However, I enjoyed my time there immensely; was always treated with dignity and respect for my capabilities. I had both sufficient autonomy and support/assistance when required. The professors I worked with were very collegial
Pros
Learning opportunity; flexible hours, supportive management
Cons
grant ended; relatively low compensation
OSU was an average place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 23, 2019
OSU typically provides a stable work environment. The benefits are very good, but the pay is average. Opportunities for advancement are not readily available, as you have to apply and interview for other jobs since most departments are small and management and staff positions are classified differently. There is a union on campus for administrative staff. All management positions are on annual contracts and subject for "non-renewal" with no reason required. The classified positions are set up on a "step" basis, topping out after 10 steps, with no opportunity for raises after reaching the top step.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, stability
Great while in school
Trip Leader (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 21, 2019
Fun environment. Worked well while I was pursuing my education. Hardest part of the job was getting others students to sign up for the program. I really enjoyed going into the outdoors
Student worker
parking officer (Former Employee) –  corvallis orgonMarch 21, 2019
Working for OSU was not really great pay. it was just a convenient place o work while going to class. they would work around your schedule to make sure you got to class or if you needed time off to get work done.
Good for graduates
Information Services Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 19, 2019
Graduate students at OSU have a pretty good working environment. Staff work well with students and there are plenty of resources. Good support throughout.
Student Multimedia Services (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 4, 2019
This was a great place to work. There were multiple opportunities to learn and build resume as a student worker. Management was great with providing learning opportunities and accommodating student needs during exam time.
Great job if you want to challenge yourself
Eco-Rep (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 2, 2019
This job is a lot like playdough - you get to shape it into whatever you want it to be. You can rise to the occasion and organize your own events, table, run the composting program, really reach out to a lot of people, or you can keep it on the down low.
When there was grant money, the job was amazing!
PISCO Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 26, 2019
I had too many jobs to list but included my CV. In the two positions I held at OSU I developed skills and was tasked to do things, such as skipper a research vessel, many people would dream about. I also learned quickly how to work with accountants to keep budgets in line, work for leading researchers in the field of Marine Ecology, manage computer networks, supervised up to 20 people. I was in charge of hiring and firing employees. PISCO was an experience where you might be up at 3AM to work low tides, or uploading data to DataONE, planning entire research seasons, to keeping a small fleet of vehicles ready for teams to use.
Pros
Providing data to the public in order for law makers to make informed decisions
Cons
The grant began to dry up after 8 years...was asked to to the same work with 1/8th the staff.
Great place where I made a ton of friends
Facilities and Event Operations (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 15, 2019
Student worker for facilities and event operations in Oregon state Athletics, and it was awesome. Our bosses were always willing to help us or work around our schedules. I learned a lot about commitment. It was also a great place to make friends.
OSU rocks
Guest Services/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 11, 2019
This was one of the favorite jobs that I have had. It was comparable to working at Disney. I was the face of Guest Services, allowed to held people have the great Beaver fan experience. Management was great, listened and evaluated my input. The culture was awesome, people go to events at OSU to have a good time, I would try to help it be excellent. The hardest part may have been unruly and intoxicated fans.The most enjoyable part was the relationships made with the fans, students, athletes, coaches, officials and school staff.
Working for Community Network
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORFebruary 6, 2019
CN is the largest IT Support Department for OSU. They handle every department outside of the College of Engineering, College of Forestry and University Athletics. The work is fun, and there is a variety of it. As a technician it's primarily focused around troubleshooting PC, Printer and Networking problems.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Inadequate pay
Get some experience
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 22, 2019
Learned a lot of new things. Full time employees are very helpful, I am really glad to work with such amazing people. Do not expect a lot of benefits if you are joining as a student, it's all about learning something new
productive, Relaxed, helpful
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 15, 2019
It is very nice to work here. The work environment is very good and staff is very friendly and helpful. Living cost is relatively less compared to other cities.
Graduate Student
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 14, 2019
As a graduate student you work very hard doing research, taking classes, and doing any sort of teaching or research assistantship. The Faculty is nice and supportive.
Great place
Gift Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 7, 2019
I work for OSU Foundation for 11 yrs. Great benefits, retirement, educational classes. I would recommend these jobs to anyone. Foundation management was appreciative and wonderful to work for.
Benefits
Cons
advancement
Good school with great engineering program
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 4, 2019
I did my PhD in materials engineering from 2005 to 2010. Great school with good professors. Tons of opportunities to learn and explore career options.