Oregon State University

Oregon State University Employee Reviews

United States503 reviews
Nice teaching environment, positive interactions with students. Supervisor quality varies from term to term. At times limited feedback and access to student reviews.
OSU makes a lot of lip service to encouraging diversity and creating a healthy environment for employees and students. Limited oversight of many positions and virtual immunity to long-tenured employees means that in practice your experience is solely in the hands of your direct supervisor. The union agreement means that any rights one has an employee don't come into effect until you've been on the job for 6 months. Some supervisors abuse this. I was verbally and emotionally abused on the job and had virtually no recourse because of my probationary status as an employee. I hope that my experience was not representative of the University as a whole but saw little to suggest otherwise. Many many people in supervisory roles have no business being there and simply fill the positions by outlasting other more qualified employees that move on to bigger and better things.
Pros
Beautiful campus, reduced tuition, being part of higher education
Cons
Measly retirement benefits, below industry standard pay in virtually every position, clueless management and bloated administrative support
Excellent benefit package.
Annual reviews with step increases.

Paid vacation and sick leave accrual.

Variety of tasks and continuing professional development courses are available.
The college of Forestry at OSU exceeds excellence. There are broad fields of study and a solid backbone of support from the Dean and other staff. I would work there again, given the option.
Amazing place for materials science graduate students. Great researchers and brilliant infrastructure. lots of opportunity in a lovely small college town.
Great teamwork and cooperation. Roles were organized and well- known. Whenever I had questions they were answered. The supervisor Leah was very helpful as well.
It is a great environment but I can only work 20 hours as a student. I always have enjoyed the learning experience and time with OSU. I would recommend the job to anyone.
Everyone is so nice that no one ever says no to me when I was looking for assistance. Our staffs are loving to help others, at the very beginning when I started to work there, everyone is willing to take some time to introduce himself and show me how to perform the work better. I love it!
Working at an MU food location is fun and easier than working for UHDS. You get to know new students and the actual work is not difficult or taxing. Overall, fun workplace.
The work environment is very laid back, and the managers I had are all awesome. They are more than willing to work around your schedule, especially as a student.
A typical day at work would be to move hand line and wheel line in the morning and then go work on the water pump until the wheel and hand lines were ready to be moved for rotation.
OSU has a very strong organizational culture. I feel like your work here is appreciated by colleagues and the administration and you have a variety of training opportunities to help you advance.

I feel well supported here and would recommend it as a good place to work.
Good place for an education. I was often challenged to the extent that I wanted to cry into my pillow every night, but I got through it. In the end, I've got an awesome fisheries and wildlife education!
I loved going here. It taught me some great skills. I attended online classes exclusively and I had absolutely no problem being geographically separated from the area. I had lots of support from the faculty as well.
Its a job that pays you. It is exactly what you think its going to be like. Everything you will need to know will be taught you. As long as you show up on time, everything will be fine.
A typical work day can vary, but it generally consist of connecting with colleagues daily. We work through issues and concerns together and look for the best solution.
Although as GRA and GTA, most of the daily routine are between campus and home, the experience as a student seeking Ph.D. in OSU is beneficial as the department had made lots of changes on delivering more transparent information on fund/scholarship application, job opportunities and seminars open to all students on related hot topics. The graduates' community is far more tightly bonded than before. The benefit for it was covered among OSU including insurance, rental, and housing. Really appreciated for all those bonuses for a student worker.
Was able to use creative problem-solving to find great solutions in order to deliver the best possible education and study space materials for students in the course. The instructors were excellent supervisors and gave substantial freedom to do what needed to be done to accomplish the task.
I worked as a biology tutor for entry level biology courses and as a research technician for my professor at OSU Cascades. Got to make my own schedule and gain important skills
My position as a peer advisor greatly increased, not only my interpersonal skills, but my ability to speak and convey ideas publically. I was able to make both personal and professional connection within Oregon State University. The team environment was incredibly positive and provided ample opportunity to perform my duties.
This is a great industry, nice staff and well respected. The coaches are all great mentors and care about not only your football career but your life after football.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oregon State University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

25%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.