Oregon State University Employee Reviews

Supportive and encouraging environment
Student Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORNovember 15, 2018
Working in the herbarium I met many scientists, both visiting and employees of the college, who would answer any questions and were very friendly and genuinely interested in your development in the field. My supervisors were helpful in so many ways without my asking and I cannot help but feel grateful to have worked with them for the last three years. I now have the ability to identify a lichen by its scientific name on sight (sometimes only to genus for lack of microscopes on hikes) and have learned proper herbarium procedures as well as personnel training techniques.
Cons
No benefits provided for student workers.
wonderful work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORNovember 4, 2018
Always a new adventure when working at Oregon State University Housing and Dinning. The co-workers and students at each dinning hall that I worked at were always friendly and willing to show me a new way to do a job.
Pros
discounted lunches and drinks
Student Athlete
Student Athlete (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 23, 2018
We may be consider amateurs but the amount of time and energy put into being a student-athlete is very much a job. It requires a lot of your time and dedication.
Pros
Gamedays
Cons
long weeks
Hostile Work Environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 19, 2018
Some departments are good, others really bad. My experience was the latter: hostile, toxic, cut-throat, bullying. I watched others get bullied which was uncomfortable enough, and I was later bullied, too: I dealt with being shouted at, glared at, intimidated, had approved conferences sabotaged; dealt with backstabbing and false accusations, dealt with harassment, intentional exclusion. For such a nice university, this position was the very worst. Ever.
Pros
Lots of food provided, resources, benefits, pay, training, some of the people are cool
Cons
The good doesn't outweigh the bad, the "civility" culture does not exist, I experienced colleagues freaking out and shouting at me, cut-throat colleagues, management trying to make your life miserable with bullying and abuse, my health was affected and I up with a serious health issue as a result of the toxic environment
Loved my time at OSU
PhD Research (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 13, 2018
Fantastic learning experience. Very attentive faculty.
terrible working culture
Management Analyst/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 9, 2018
I've never been around a lazier group of people my whole life. no desire to improve or streamline business processes. management had no vision or work ethitic.
Great place for science oreinted minds with low expectations for compensation
Faculty Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Central Point, ORSeptember 30, 2018
Academia isn't for everyone, but if you're a lifelong learner then it is certainly for you. Your fellow employees are likely to be nerds like you, so if you would rather be rich and cool, look elsewhere. Field work can be exhausting, but it is usually balanced with lab work and data analysis - a great combination for long term sanity (variety is the spice of life).
Pros
Interesting and meaningful work
Cons
Student employees can be difficult to manage
Love this job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 24, 2018
Good pay
Good people to work with
Trainings provided
Union included
$100 for non slip shoes provided
Good boss
Sign language interpreters provided
Cons
Communication breaks down
Positive athletic environment
Head Dance Team Coach (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Energtic, positive and exciting work days at OSU. I learned how time management, and worked with a lot of professionals in the athletic spectrum of football and basketball. The culture was very diverse and fun. It was alot of good stress on game days and the best part of the OSU culture and work was the events.
Pros
Public appearances
Cons
Fast paced environment sometimes on TV
Helping young men and women achieve their GED's
High School Equivalency Program (HEP) Tutor (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 13, 2018
It was fun working with the faculty that ran the program and help them tutor individual students as well as in groups. If you like teaching and going to school at the same time, this is a good opportunity to do so. Tutoring was located on campus at Oregon State so that was very nice to go from class to work within the same few blocks.
Pros
Location, Fulfilling work, Good part-time
Cons
Students sometimes were not motivated upon entering class for the day

Want to know more about Oregon State University?

Ask a question
Summary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 6, 2018
Typical day at work - good
Management - Good
Workplace Culture - Good
Most Enjoyable Part of the Job - Good
This was a good place to work. I enjoyed my time.
Because OSU is a research university, there is ample opportunity to interact with great scientists and educators.
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 22, 2018
As a Graduate Teaching Assistant one becomes familiar with lab techniques and teaching styles. As a research assistant, the work was both mundane at times, and exciting when dealing with actual research. The culture in the workplace was good for the most part. There were times that researchers were abandoned to the political arena. It was often difficult to contact the primary investigator for advice and feedback. Researching literature for various projects was exciting to me.
Pros
Research opportunities
Cons
Work stability was term to term (quarter system)
Good place to get PhD
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 16, 2018
for the person from another country.
pick your PI carefully. if you make the wrong choice you will be in trouble, although there still will be choices.
Great Place to work
Graduate Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 16, 2018
OSU is a great place to work - just not enough room for actual advancement and the salary is not as competitive as private industry. The culture of work is excellent and the environment is a university with people from all over the world is exciting and fun.
Good place to work with great benefits
ITS Director and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 9, 2018
I worked for OSU on two occasions and they were a good and fair employer each time. I would work for them again. On both occasions I had opportunity for advancement.
I loved this job
After School Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gold Hill, ORAugust 2, 2018
I worked iin the after school program with elementary aged kids. It was a very satisfying job and the management was very nice and polite. I would absolutely work here again
Cultured staff and lively atmosphere around the building
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed my job, each day checking things off of my list.
I learned how clean bathrooms and how to work a scrubber.
Management was good, and improved with time.
Culture was an interesting mix of international students and plenty local characters.
Cleaning underneath tables was the hardest part.
The free snacks my coworker Gino would bring me sometimes.
Pros
Free Snacks, Easy, Relaxed
Cons
Gross, Hot
Nice place to work
STUDENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 30, 2018
Very relaxed, easy to ask questions. I learned a lot about customer service, and computer related issues. There was a lot of team communication. everyone seemed to enjoy it.
Highly collaborative work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 29, 2018
I worked as a graduate teaching assistant in Chemistry. It was challenging as well as a fun job. I always got the full support and help you need for the successes.
Beautiful campus and nice colleagues
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 25, 2018
Overall a good environment with available support and helpful colleagues. Culture was productive and creative allowing for new ideas. Alumni were appreciative of their OSU experience.