Oriana House, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great Place to Learn and Grow
Administrator (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 25, 2018
I have been an employee of Oriana House for nearly 10 years. I started as an entry level position (Resident Supervisor) and through hard work, I was continuously promoted. The nature of the work can be stressful. We deal with at risk populations in the hopes of helping them, their families, and the community, however it is extremely rewarding as well. The pay is decent, but could be better at times. However the benefits greatly help level that off. Entry level employees start with 2 weeks of vacation time and 2 weeks of personal time a year, options for tuition reimbursement, 403B retirement (after your first year with up to 6% matching!), and others. The agency is big on self care as well with a great wellness program with incentives, an Employee Assistance Program, and organized agency community events to benefit great causes.

Having worked with numerous levels within the agency, I can personally tell you that the staff and management truly care about what they do.

This line of work is not for everyone. You have to be dedicated, be able to isolate personal from professional life, and be willing to have failures at times. However regardless of the unsuccessful clients, everytime we can help a client, is extremely rewarding. Knowing that you had a part in saving a life and most likely a family goes a long way.

If you care about evidence-based practices in treatment, then this is the agency for you. Under the leadership of our executive and supervisory staff, Oriana House has been ahead of the curve nationally in "What Works". It is admirable to see what is done at all
  more... levels of the agency and very fulfilling knowing I have a role in that.  less
Pros
Benefits package, Wellness Focus, Rewarding Work, Career Advancement Opportunity
Cons
Stressful work, Extremely fast paced at times, difficult population at times
This place will completely drain you.
Treatment (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioOctober 21, 2018
Working with the clients is by far the best part of this job. The supervisors and other “higher-ups” do not value you as an employee, and they make it clear with how poorly they treat you.
Think long and hard before you accept a job with the Oriana House.
Pros
getting experience in your field
Cons
being treated poorly by supervisors
Grant position
Peer Recovery Coach (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHOctober 19, 2018
I worked as a Recovery coach for a grant that was won by Sandusky Co drug court. I was able to work with those who were ordered to drug court to help them with the early stages of addiction recovery
Management gave me the flexibility to work with clients I wanted to work with. The hardest part of my day was dealing with staff meetings and counselors who felt I was not qualified. Best part of the day was going out into the community and working with peers one on one to help them deal with life in recovery.
Pros
Flexible
Loved it at first ended up hating it.
Detox Counselor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 6, 2018
The atmosphere when I first got there was co-workers treated each other with respect and like family. Turnover happened, a new director of the facility new rules, everyone stressed and became cutthroat and worried about their job and what went from a productive, fun working environment for staff who made clients a priority to being BY the book and scared that they would be next.

In the end, it became more about filling beds and making money than helping the clients.

What was working they destroyed and the place fell apart, I think by design, as when a client relapses they fill the bed again thus more money.
Pros
Great when started, benefits
Cons
morale, cared more about money
Terrible Place to Work
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Akron OHOctober 2, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work at the Oriana House due to the company only looking out for themselves and not their employees. I had major surgery and got admitted for it but yet wasn’t able to use any of my hospital time that I worked for and accrued during my 5+ years working there. So instead of concentrating on healing, I was concerned on how I would pay my bills. The Oriana House pay is very poor and not competitive at all. They will overwork you and not compensate you fairly and that is why the turnover rate is constantly so high. Despite them having a research team, you would think they would research this and do something about it, but they rather give the money to the higher-ups working at the Administration building. It’s so disappointing. I’m glad I no longer work there and I can put this negative chapter behind me and move on.
Benefits
Cons
Everything but the benefits
Really enjoy working here as an RS
RS (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to start a career. Many opportunities for advancement and great benefits. This place gets a lot of bad talk, but of course people are going to say all the bad things about it and not spend the time writing the good things. I really enjoy working here and all the great things it does for the community.
Resident Supvisor
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 2, 2018
This was a work release facility. Had to search offender's everyday that they came back into the facility from there jobs. Documenting all actions of the shift.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Always around the offenders.
Horrible!!!
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 25, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving! No security for staff who deal with volatile people daily. You took your life in your own hands just walking through the doors. A client can "write" up a staff person and it stays on YOUR record for 5 years! As bad as the clients can be, the people that work there are worse! Its a joke. Staff gossip and talk about their co-workers with the clients! Unprofessional!!!! Its like working with middle school children. No wonder there is a high turn over rate. I'm guessing the "good reviews" are by people who have no clue what goes on here and don't really work in this environment or they do know and turn a blind eye.
No pay raises! EVER!
Pros
Leaving
Cons
everything.
It payed the bills.
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2018
It payed the bills, very dangerous for me to be there. The clients were very ill-tempered. The employees were very nice. However, I found it very depressing to be there.
Pros
It payed the bills.
Cons
It didn't pay enough.
Its ok
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 16, 2018
This job is a great starter job and it has it's perks to working here at times. The only real down side to this job is that the job security is completely out of existence here due to the fact it's a privately ran company and there go under the guise of caring about the people and the community they serve. The people regardless of position or job title are all expendable and it's an at will job so that's the real reason they can get away with it. I wouldn't make any life changing decisions i.e buying a car or a new home if i was working their unless i have a back up plan in place due to the fact of the at will clause the cover themselves with. If you stay under the radar you'll be fine. Cause any blimp start looking for a new job.
Pros
Chances to grow within the company
Cons
Job security is like the Loch Ness monster
Working for Oriana House was a wonderful experience.
assessment specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 4, 2018
I had some incredible Supervisors over the years I learned so much, and my experience will be valuable throughout my career. The wages were low, but the benefits were great.
Pros
Great staff and benefits.
Cons
Low wages.
Resident Supervisor
Resident Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 20, 2018
Descent facility and Great Boss very open minded, this job gives you a chance if educated to move up within the company. There is a Great Life insurance and benefits package. The other senior staff are so knowledgeable they train you so you can move up shortly in company and do plenty of paperwork on clients.
Pros
Life insurance
Cons
n/a
July 3, 2018

Oriana House, Inc., prides itself in offering a rich, comprehensive benefits plan. Thank you for recognizing this. I am also happy to hear that you are having a good experience.
Director of Human Resources

Good work environment but low pay
Recovery Coach Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 20, 2018
Stressful due to the type of Clients. Employees are underpaid. Good place to learn about the field. High turnover. No lunch break provided. The part I like best is feeling as though I may help someone to live a more productive life free of drugs and alcohol.
July 3, 2018

Working in the social services field can be difficult at times but the reward of seeing clients succeed often outweighs the negatives. The Agency tries to review salaries compared to other like agencies and adjust them when fiscally able. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Director of Human Resources

Unable to retain staff/poor morale
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHJune 15, 2018
Staff are not treated fairly. Management does not care how many days in a row one works or what you have going on in your personal life. Management does not help out on the floor. Lots of micro-managing. Management treats the clients better than staff and will take the clients word over the employee. They don't stand behind the staff. No appreciation for a job well done.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Long hours, mandated to work many days in a row, no breaks, poor management
July 3, 2018

I hear your concerns and would like to discuss them with you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Director of Human Resources

Workplace fun depends on the department worked. Moral needs to be built up.
Payroll Clerical (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 15, 2018
Working with the clients is not hard if they are there to learn from the wrong life choices they have ;made. Management can be difficult at times. A typical day at work can be rewarding. The most rewarding part of the job is seeing the clients succeed.
Love It !
Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 11, 2018
I am extremely grateful to have the opportunity to work for this company, as Oriana House is able to recognize where some is at in their life and not focus solely on where they have been. If it wasn't for this company, I wouldn't be where I am today in my profression. Oriana House hired me with no formal experience (internships only), completion of a bachelor degree, and they were willing to take a chance on me despite having two F4's on my record. Through my time, I have grown as a professional and gained knowledge, as well as insight about the disease of addiction and the processe of recovery. Also, for the the past three years OHI has reimbused some of my tuition for graduate school. This company has done nothing but elevated me to the next level in life...Thank you Oriana House, Inc.
Pros
Excellent pay, lots of advancement opportunitites, structured treatment, lots of trainings.
Cons
Constant change, minimal breaks, turn over.
July 3, 2018

I am glad you are having such an excellent experience at the Agency! Yes, tuition reimbursement is one of the excellent benefits we offer. We are also a Federal Student Loan Forgiveness employer as well.

good review
Shift Supervisor I (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 9, 2018
Excellent place to work. Management team is always helpful and whenever someone calls off management steps up and fill in the schedule. Fully staff and you always get your time off when requested.
Pros
air condition
Cons
short breaks
July 3, 2018

It's great to hear that management is leading by example!

Extremely hectic
Wrap Specialist ; Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 25, 2018
I worked long hours for a part-time job and fulfilled my duties. I was a federal case worker with prisoners. I had to work overtime and some weekends.
July 3, 2018

I know that working with federal clients can be hectic. I do not have job descriptions that match either job title that you listed but I am willing to discuss your experiences if you would like to contact me. Thank you.

Don't waste your time
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 18, 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. Poor management. Treat there clients bad. Unsafe environment co workers bring drugs into the place. Leadership protects its bad employees. Never work at CBCF
Pros
Cons
No Lunches low pay
July 3, 2018

The Agency's goal is to provide employees and clients a safe and drug-free environment. We do this through measures such as drug testing, pat down searches, the walk through metal detector (in this facility), and various other measures. Please contact me to discuss your concerns as soon as possible. Thank you.

Terrible company
Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHApril 10, 2018
Like I said this company is terrible! The management show heavy favoritism in scheduling, always subject to massive amounts of overtime. High turnover
Pros
Health insurance.
Cons
Management, 6 day work weeks, no breaks, micro managed, no balance of work and home
July 3, 2018

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. Management schedules employees according to client population and needs. Please contact me if you would like to further discuss your experience.
Director of Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oriana House, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight