Oriental Trading Company Employee Reviews

at times fun place but too many rules/regulations
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Lavista, NE 68128December 11, 2018
it was enjoyable to get to know those around you but it was not encouraged. you were not allowed to brief an individual before the start of their shift on how busy the phones were. you were always watched/monitored.
Sweat Shop
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 7, 2018
This is a great company that could be much better if they valued their IT staff more. When they say that they run "a lean Shop" that means that you work 80 hours a week with unrealistic deadlines. They do hire only the best but the turnover shows how they lose those employees to better opportunities.
Pros
Good Pay, sort of
Cons
Terribly stressful, wouldn't go back for any amount.
Productive and Fun
Seasonal Call Center Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 1, 2018
Call center and took orders other tasks. Super easy job. Half hour plus two 15 breaks. Did a lot of upsells which is extra cash for the pay checks. Sit a lot since I have to use the computer and phone to work with.Nothing much to say really since it was a seasonal job
Pros
Easy and fun
Cons
sitting
inefficient training provided and stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCOctober 15, 2018
This was a temporary, seasonal job. The training was less than sufficient. We were pushed to upsell, which I don't mind at all, except their method irritated customers. They pressured you to have an average of 3-minute calls while taking orders and rated your performance/ review on your call time. It was Christmas and orders were large. It was impossible to offer great customer service in three minutes. If your calls weren't short enough, they had you log off so they could talk to you about it. Nevermind that you just had a huge order that made them lots of money AND you sold a lot of additional items. You didn't make the cut to stay on permanently because your call time wasn't an average of 3-minutes. If I was the customer on the other end of the phone, I would appreciate a helpful and patient customer service person. Instead, the customer was being rushed and repeatedly asked to purchase something else even though they clearly stated that was all they wanted more than once. This is not how I prefer to handle customer's needs.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no help if you ran into a problem
Great company, solid staff.
Personalization Operator/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 10, 2018
I've worked twice for Oriental Trading Company, mainly because the hours and scheduling is consistent, and every crew that I had the opportunity to work with were solid and communicated well with each other, and I always felt comfortable and confident to ask for help anytime I needed to.
life is cheap there you mean nothing your a number the benifits are only a false front they want the biggest bang for there buck if you will .
outside contractor temporary employee (Current Employee) –  lavisaOctober 4, 2018
I work there as a contract worker thru staffing temps im glad im a temp I wouldnt want to commit to them they don't care about quality just quanity because im a temp im slave ok I get it and I understand the process you see most temps have very little work expereance but surprise I used to hire temps my self the only reason I did is because I needed work mules and if they werent working out and I felt I was losing money paying them they would be removed on the spot so yea I get it but I see the way their regular employees are disregaurded like their just some kind of machine with on oil leak or something and oh well theres other people who will work for us who are just as desperate as they were for a job and well get as much out of them as we did those other otc world keeps turning weather you get fired or quit ok so times are changing they give you some mighty attractive benefits only to keep there publice name clean im not a machine and I don't need a supperviser who hasn't done any physical labor all day to show me how gun ho he is now because hes borded and full of energy they arnt sh.. to me they haven't been working for the whole shift then after one half hour there pooped ill stop now
Pros
people are cool respectful and polite
Cons
poor manage ment
Nothing will ever change
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  La Vista, NEOctober 2, 2018
I worked at Oriental as a equipment operator and have worked several other positions as well.... Problem is supervisors have no intentions of moving up in the company from the spot they are in. Myself and several other employees make recommendations and will never hear anything. IT seems like the supervisors don't care that its basically a revolving door and do not try to keep quality employees
Great people to work with
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 25, 2018
Somewhat stressful, the people that work there do their best to make it a great place to work. The hardest part of the job was the changes and lack of communication
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
lack of communication
Okay
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 20, 2018
It's ok. I've been there for a while.I'm definitely ready for something new. There have been many changes over the years. There are many different jobs to do there.
super fun company
Order filler (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 20, 2018
i is super fun job and exciting to work at
they have holiday events
you get to meet many people who you get to know
you will be surprised by the people who work there
Pros
many
Cons
I had a condecending supervisor. i was looking for another job in the next month.
Maintenance Technician I (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 19, 2018
It was a hot environment or it was a cool environment. I'm tired of rehashing this company. Pros: they follow strictly to all OSHA safety standards, I liked that
Pros
They paid you every other week, on time
Cons
The Management and the Pay. Working conditions could be better.
Good people making things
Personalization Operator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 17, 2018
I worked in personalization and it was all about being on standard. Standard was all about how fast you can get the product out the door with no mistakes.
Productive, fun, and happy atmosphere.
Flagging Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 1, 2018
It was my responsibility to upload and maintain the pricing into the computer for the items sold by the company. We also had the responsibility of doing the breakdown of the square inch used per the sales generated by utilizing excel and a specific program for the company. My manager was very knowledge, approachable, and to this day is still with the company. If the opportunity arose I would love to work there again.
Pros
Fun, clean, happy atmosphere.
Warehouse work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 30, 2018
Oriental Trading Company is a easy job for youth just getting into the working world. They offer a large break room and on hot days provided popsicles and refreshments if you worked in the warehouses.
Fun working environment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 26, 2018
Oriental Trading is a fun working environment. The company offers small amount gifts to its employees. The company trains employees how to be proficient to get customers to buy products from catalogs. Some employees they would keep after temporary position then some they would let go cause did not meet their performance what was measured
Pros
small amount gifts
Cons
attending seminars and it was temporary job
Repetative, sometimes boring work.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 19, 2018
Management was non-creative individuals expecting their customer service workers to automatically be able to answer all customer questions without adequate training or support. Though I worked there several years, I was never given the opportunity to advance and management became upset whenever I would ask questions about such.
It was fun
Warehouse Worker (Picker) (Former Employee) –  La Vista, NEAugust 17, 2018
it was a fun place to work at it would making me feel like I was a toy factory. supervisor was very nice and kind. the hardest part of the job was running around getting orders in.
Pros
fun work place
Oriental Trading Company
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 16, 2018
They have strict goals that they want you to meet. This could be good or bad. In my job, you had to have massive amounts of patience to deal with people who really just didn't want to have you help, they just wanted someone to yell at.
Simple
Personalization Operator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 31, 2018
The pace wasn’t relaxed. You get bonuses for going faster, but the hourly pay is the same no matter what. My direct supervisor was awesome. The floor supervisor on the other hand pronounced my name wrong on purpose.
Pros
Breaks
We filled orders for customers
Order filler (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 22, 2018
I started out collecting individual customer orders and finished working in the warehouse taking bulk orders to shipping . I learned how to maneuver a fork lift.
Pros
I really got in shape at the omaha Plant.
Cons
the warehouse in the LaVista plant let me know I am afraid of heights