ORION DRILLING COMPANY Employee Reviews

Depends on the rig. I worked on 2
Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 5, 2018
18 was incredible. Advancement was no issue if you just worked and took pride in your work an handled your business ... 13 sucked Nobody Cared about about anything or anybody. Overall they are a very good Co Youre a name not a number. Be loyal to them an they’ll treat you right.
Pros
Good pay. Smaller Co. You’re a name not a number
Cons
Sketchy upper management at times.
Bad management
Pole truck drive and tandem driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 5, 2018
Management is a joke it's all favorites at this company. Trucking supervisor sends us drivers to west Texas to move are rigs and 3rd party rigs.So they can get a pay off from South Texas fencing to move are rig down south. Truck pusher doesn't know what he is doing but he gets drunk every night and forgets to call drivers to line then up for jobs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Productive and Gratifying
Driller (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 12, 2017
Excellent Compensation
Excellent Benefits
Job Security
Enjoyed my job and the responsibilities
Opportunities within the employer
Professional Relationships
Pros
Compensation
Cons
None that I can think off
Growing company with advancement for younger employees
Receptionist/HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 27, 2014
Love the people that I work with and love the job. However, have been doing recruiting job for over a year, but never given any compensation. I am the Receptionist. I have been responsible for 4 days a week of hiring, drug testing and orientating new hires.

Recently hired a Recruiter, paying her 3 times my salary. I was never considered for the position.
Pros
Free tickets to events in the city
Cons
No advancement for older, more knowledgeable employees
great company
Floorhand (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 26, 2015
it is a great company to work with. orion has an impecable working culture and environment. they have great benefits and they allow a lot of family time.
Working at Orion Drilling Company.
Derrick Hand/Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 5, 2018
The was definitely a physically demanding job, and also included many highway miles. The job was always a good distance from were I lived, but this job really improved my skills as a worker in many different categories. Also working with a variety of people escalated my team working skills.
Pros
Very good pay.
Cons
A very dirty job.
Always opertunities to excel
Rig Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 22, 2014
A typical day starts by reviewing processes and tasking that has occurred. Identify any issues that need to be escalated. Contact departments that are affected and set meetings or establish actionable items that need to be addressed. Come up solutions and incorporate them into process through tasking from data base program. Advise teams of changes and address any training that may be needed. Monitor for success or failure. Correct as needed. This cycle happens daily and can be fixed daily as a result of being able to work directly in the data base in real time.
Pros
great opportunities to make a difference
Cons
Health insurance, vacation and benefits
Lots of hours.
Rig Field Service Electrician (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 20, 2018
Got plenty of hours. I did not like the living conditions in the rig houses. No quiet time or privacy. Had to use my own money to buy parts/oil changes for company vehicles and had a hard time getting reimbursed.
Pros
Lots of hours, company truck/gas card.
Cons
No credit card for buying parts. Had to use my own money.
Fast paced high intensity
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Position required long hours and little time off. Satisfying when job completed. Pleasant working accommodations. Moderate room for advancement.
Cons
Adversarial relationships
Good empmoyees
Motorman (Current Employee) –  DuBois, PAJuly 26, 2017
Its a job but the management sucks. Its a very stressful work enviroment but it pays the bills. The crew i work on is a good group of guys we all get along and work together as a team.
Pros
Work scedule
Cons
Stressful
Horrible Company
Motorman (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 7, 2016
I worked for this supposedly great company and out of my 14 Yr career in oilfield they were worse than Big Dog drilling. No support system from management or backbone, they let company me run off employees whenever they wanted.
Pros
Cons
1100 health insurance monthly
Management is a joke
Derrick Hand (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 23, 2017
Worked out of the Corpus Christi TX location. Bunch of Bonehead Cowboys running this organization. When Oil and Gas slowed down, jobs came down to their favorites. HR department is a joke. It's actually run by the owners Daughter.
Pros
Days of every 7 days
Cons
Living conditions on the rig is terrible
Co workers were great to work with
Operations Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 8, 2015
Since working in the oil and gas field I have had the pleasure of working for an operator and have learned a lot from Orion on the service side of the business. I really enjoyed working with all the coworkers and their willingness to take the time to teach me about the drilling process.
Pros
Paid day off once a year with money to go shop with female coworkers at the outlet malls
Cons
Mangements lack of direction and no advancement opportunties.
A wonderful place to work!
Quality Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TexasApril 23, 2015
I worked at ORION for a little over 3 1/2 years and during that time I was promoted 4 times. It was a great place to work and the only reason I left was because I married a Naval Officer who was stationed in another city and state. ORION is a company that encourages its employees to grow and become more then they were originally hired to be.The only big downside to the company was the way responsibility was distributed. One department would often have to pull the weight of several others. If I ever find myself back in Corpus Christi, Texas and an opportunity for employment at this company arises I will absolutely jump at it. I miss working there already!
Pros
Advancement opportunity
Cons
Distribution of responsibility
I loved this place!!!
HSE Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 5, 2017
What an amazing Company to work for. I would recommend this company to anyone. What a great group of people! Such a family atmosphere, Very respectable, oilfield with a ton of class.
awsome company
Floorhand/Motorman (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 14, 2015
this company is great. I liked that the schedule was 7 and 7 as most companys are 14 and 14 so I got to spend a lot of time at home.
Great learning experience during my Internship
Human Resource Admin/ Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsville, PAJuly 14, 2015
I was very pleased with my experience at Orion Drilling while interning. I learned a lot, and the employees were very welcoming and helpful.
fun and helpful work place
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 27, 2016
its a great company to work I want to go back there some day the company cares about its people when they are in need of help they do what they can to help you easy to get alone with everyone there hard work but sure is fun
Fast Paced work environment.
Maintenance Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Fast paced, high intensity high reward work place. Close group of individuals working together to accomplish complex time sensitive goals.
Horrible Company
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  PaAugust 1, 2016
5 years drilling exp. this is the worst company I've ever worked for. Operating system is complete garbage. Rig just does what it wants, like top drive kicking itself into drill mode at 120 rpm while your screwing into stand at 25rpm. Over torqued is a serious understatement. Then they try to cover it up instead of fixing the problem or even figuring out the problem.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
They're shady