ORION DRILLING COMPANY

ORION DRILLING COMPANY Employee Reviews

United States32 reviews
some good some bad
good people, bad management at times from too much pressure for the top, good people made bad calls due to this. Monday morning quarterbacking over every decision made, if it was not the way they would have done it,
Too much favoritisms
They have to much favoritisms on this company by supervisors and pushers and they don’t you move up in company and to much slavery there with management
Orion in a downward spiral with no return
Company has no direction, Management is non-existent. Slow to no paying their past vendors always seeking new vendors because poor pay history. Drilling crews OK but equipment is old and faulty and repair parts are robbed from stacked rigs. No chance of advancement at all.
Was a good company
The beginning of working for Orion Drilling was great. The Former CEO at the time was great on TOP of everything and really cared for the employees. The managers were wonderful at that time

We had good benefits.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Last two years Poor management
Good place to develop and work
Good place to develop and work. Able to advance and get promotions. Had opportunity to work in multiple departments and divisions. Growing company with good reputation.
Pros
Flexibility
Benefits
Wrongfully terminated
I was out on hitch and had to leave early due to a family related incident. Attempted to contact HR for a while week while leaving voicemails and was ignored and never called back or contacted by email. Found out through word of mouth that I had been terminated. The reason given was that I along with 2 other crew members showed up to the worksite drunk and didn't show up to the safety meeting when JSA and morning safety meeting paperwork was signed and completed before meeting began.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management & in my case being wrongfully terminated.
Constant flow
team work is critical, constant flow of responsibilities and always learning something new in regards to making operation flow better through out the day
Pros
pay good
Cons
drive to and from
Bad work environment
Very bad management, lots of family or friends working together no room for advancement. Poor equipment maintenance, & Saftey was very often overlooked.
orion has always kept me working
i have been with orion through many slow downs and they have always kept me working, i have given them 110% at all times on and off work. I just have to keep up my 14-14 schedule.
Pros
great pay
Productive and Friendly
It's a great place to work just does not provide much growing opportunity. I would like a higher pay but the people are very friendly. It is hectic at times and exhausting but nothing i'm not already used to.
Depends on the rig. I worked on 2
18 was incredible. Advancement was no issue if you just worked and took pride in your work an handled your business ... 13 sucked Nobody Cared about about anything or anybody. Overall they are a very good Co Youre a name not a number. Be loyal to them an they’ll treat you right.
Pros
Good pay. Smaller Co. You’re a name not a number
Cons
Sketchy upper management at times.
Bad management
Management is a joke it's all favorites at this company. Trucking supervisor sends us drivers to west Texas to move are rigs and 3rd party rigs.So they can get a pay off from South Texas fencing to move are rig down south. Truck pusher doesn't know what he is doing but he gets drunk every night and forgets to call drivers to line then up for jobs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Working at Orion Drilling Company.
The was definitely a physically demanding job, and also included many highway miles. The job was always a good distance from were I lived, but this job really improved my skills as a worker in many different categories. Also working with a variety of people escalated my team working skills.
Pros
Very good pay.
Cons
A very dirty job.
Lots of hours.
Got plenty of hours. I did not like the living conditions in the rig houses. No quiet time or privacy. Had to use my own money to buy parts/oil changes for company vehicles and had a hard time getting reimbursed.
Pros
Lots of hours, company truck/gas card.
Cons
No credit card for buying parts. Had to use my own money.
Management is a joke
Worked out of the Corpus Christi TX location. Bunch of Bonehead Cowboys running this organization. When Oil and Gas slowed down, jobs came down to their favorites. HR department is a joke. It's actually run by the owners Daughter.
Pros
Days of every 7 days
Cons
Living conditions on the rig is terrible
Good empmoyees
Its a job but the management sucks. Its a very stressful work enviroment but it pays the bills. The crew i work on is a good group of guys we all get along and work together as a team.
Pros
Work scedule
Cons
Stressful
I loved this place!!!
What an amazing Company to work for. I would recommend this company to anyone. What a great group of people! Such a family atmosphere, Very respectable, oilfield with a ton of class.
Productive and Gratifying
Excellent Compensation
Excellent Benefits

Job Security

Enjoyed my job and the responsibilities

Opportunities within the employer

Professional Relationships
Pros
Compensation
Cons
None that I can think off
fun and helpful work place
its a great company to work I want to go back there some day the company cares about its people when they are in need of help they do what they can to help you easy to get alone with everyone there hard work but sure is fun
Horrible Company
I worked for this supposedly great company and out of my 14 Yr career in oilfield they were worse than Big Dog drilling. No support system from management or backbone, they let company me run off employees whenever they wanted.
Pros
Cons
1100 health insurance monthly
Horrible Company
5 years drilling exp. this is the worst company I've ever worked for. Operating system is complete garbage. Rig just does what it wants, like top drive kicking itself into drill mode at 120 rpm while your screwing into stand at 25rpm. Over torqued is a serious understatement. Then they try to cover it up instead of fixing the problem or even figuring out the problem.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
They're shady