ORION FOOD SYSTEMS Employee Reviews

The company is not qualify to call as company and their management is extremely zero
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 7, 2019
They have to have good management and thier payment isn’t fair,and the scheduling system is not good when ever they can shutdown the company they don’t care about their employees
Company in need of major overhaul. Lose the "consultant".
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 5, 2019
This formerly family oriented, well-managed company has been in a downward spiral since the long-time former CEO left the company.

A manufacturing consultant was hired, but has done nothing except create chaos and a culture of fear in the company. Why Orion chooses to continue to pay this person to destroy their organization is incomprehensible.

The majority of the management team has voluntarily left the company over the course of the last few months. These were the people hired to bring change to the company and to make improvements to both manufacturing processes and the treatment of employees across the company.

The glimmer of hope in this mess is that a new CEO has been hired who truly wants to change the course of the company's future. Hopefully he can retain the few managers who remain at the company and rebuild from there. It'll be an uphill climb.
Stable for the QA department
QA Technician (Night Shift) (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 17, 2019
I enjoyed working with the night crew once they warmed up to me; I had to win them over with food, being friendly, and reminding them that I'm just making sure everyone keeps their job at the end of the night. The QA tech is usually the least popular person on site next to the USDA inspector. It took about a month to win them over but once I did this, the bakery, cheese/sauce, sanitation, and maintenance managers would open up on any issues taking place, which was necessary for me to do my job. I checked over production, rooms being cleaned, equipment, procedures/paperwork being carried out properly, etc. The hours for QA are consistent but unfortunately the hours are either extremely high when a contract comes in or extremely slow for the production workers. The sanitation department puts in a lot of hours each week and works almost every holiday. The work conditions go from extremely hot/humid to freezing cold depending on the room and if you are in QA expect to walk several miles on cement each shift. I wore tennis shoes with extra support and brought a winter coat with me even in the summer.
Usda production
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 7, 2019
Do not join orion. They work us like slaves. The schedule you sign up for will not be your schedule. They will force a schedule on you & expect you to work monday-saturday consecutively.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Everything Else
Franchise Business Consultant
Franchise Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 2, 2019
Would be a Great Job if you could be a Business Consultant. You are not able to do your job and help your customers. Regional VP puts way to much pressure on sales and not building customer relationships. You are always walking on egg shells and wondering what the next treating email you will be getting from Regional VP. Think company needs to go back to what got them started in the business invest in your people and work with them not against.
Pros
Cons
Benefits, Work life balance
Review Summary
Franchise Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  South DakotaMarch 18, 2019
Give us your opinion about a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job.
Good
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 28, 2019
I like working for orion foods if given the opportunity to go back id do things differently. They offer great wages and hours. Always room for hours to be picked up. I enjoyed working for orion foods
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Hours vary
No job security
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 4, 2019
The past year has seen Orion go downhill. They brought in a consultant that is seeming to run the company into the ground. On the manufacturing side, they have either fired and/or the long term employees have quit because it has gotten so bad, so far 37 employees quit or have been fired since Feb 2018. These employees that have quit or were fired are in management and skilled labor, such as the QA and Maintenance departments. They ran production 7 days a week for months, then drop to little to no hours. Nearly all of the new managers that were hired, have been fired within the average of 3 to 8 months, then they start with new people again. It appears that the only ones that can hang on to their jobs, are the ones that do not question any decisions the consultant makes. The atmosphere in the company is very poor, and it seems like the "company" loves that. The different departments are expected to perform at the highest levels, but are told there is no money to purchase supplies that are needed. The outlook for this company seems very dismal.
Pros
There doesn't seem to be any
Cons
No job security in any department
I'll tell you how to turn this company around for free
Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 17, 2019
If you want to turn this company around, start by cutting the consultant position. That will immediately put us in the black again. I can't even fathom what this person's salary, travel, and eating expenses are. Unreal. It is so bad that every minute decision goes through this person. Interestingly enough, this person has been "employed" with the company for over a year and their headshot isn't in the organization spreadsheet on SyncHr. In their absence and prior to their employment, we had parts on the maintenance shelves and supplies needed to run the manufacturing company. I'm curious if customer service runs out of a box of staples if they have to go through the consultant to get more and wait for days/weeks on end for them to be approved? This is NO WAY to run a company. There is one person I see fit to run the manufacturing aspect of this company and you pass her over time and time again.
Take a look around. You are running the manufacturing team like dogs. Orion has always been Feast or Famine. Manufacturing run 7 days a week non stop and then turn around and run just a few days a week. How can that be efficient? How can you retain good people with such inconsistencies? They say they want to appreciate employees and change Orion's outlook so good people will apply? Then do it! Do what you say, say what you do.
Watching all the departments heads come and go costs money. RETENTION RETENTION RETENTION. It's really not a hard concept. Treat people like family, not numbers and they'll work for you. There's still a few dedicated Orion employees within the company. There's
  more... still time to do the right thing and turn this ship around and keep it afloat. If not, we'll all be in the unemployment line, together.  less
Pros
The doors are still currently open, checks haven't bounced (yet)
Cons
Management, Scheduling, Lack of Leadership/Training, Not Promoting Within
Too many managers.
Maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 10, 2019
Since I started at this job we had 3 different maintenance managers. Out of the 3, 2 of them didn't know anything about the job and accused me of not working. After about 2 months at this position we finally got a computerised documenation system for our work. Since this system was initialized, I had more work documented than anyone else on the system.
In steps maintenance manager number 3 to accuse me of not doing any work.
At the point I walked out.
Also, I applied for the maintenance manager job and was told they would prefer to hire from within. The new manager that started was not hired from within and clearly had a method problem. His teeth are all rotting out!
Great choice of employees!!
I would have stayed with this company had they not had such poor choices in management.
The interim manager who they appointed to the position for 2 weeks was GREAT! But they hired old rot teeth to replace him.
The other problem as a mechanic was, almost everything I tried to fix, we did not have parts for.
The worst parts room of any maintenance department I've worked at. This is also a management problem because management doesn't want to spend money on parts. You can't fix things without parts.
Pros
Free food sometimes. Most of the employees are nice people
Cons
Management, management, management.
Not a great place to work at
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 26, 2018
What I think of this Company. When I first start working here 1 years ago. The job culture is cut throat. When I work in production. There is no set hour at all. The management is little bad. I tried hard everyday and deal with it but it doesn’t work out. The co worker are fun to work with but difficult because most of them came from different countries. Lack of communication between employee
Pros
Fee lunch In break room
Cons
Benefits, cut throat, management issue
Great place to work and great employees to work with!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 19, 2018
I truly enjoy my job! The Orion management team has given me the opportunity to grow in my job and challenges me to be better. The employees are great to work with. They all work hard but have fun in different activities provided company wide. The benefits are great!
Pros
Great work environment, paid time off to include extra holidays
Not sure what direction they are going
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 4, 2018
Just in recent months they have let go long term employees, leaving everyone afraid.
Need to walk on egg shells around management, they seem very paranoid, and are worried about themselves. Very cut-throat as of late.
Pros
Beneits
Cons
Hostile work environment
Management used to be poor.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 15, 2018
Work was not overly hard. Co-workers were easy to work with most of the time. Most days were good days. I am not sure how management is now but used to be really bad,
Pros
Food in lunch room.
Horrible place to work!! Do not work here if you care about your health and safety.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 23, 2018
I was exposed to chemicals, I broke out in a chemical rash/burn all over my hands and was out for two weeks due to improper training and improper work gear. They didn’t give their employees masks in the saniziting department and the harsh chemicals burnt my lungs. I was out for more than 2 weeks and issued a claim because out of work. I have seen $0 since because they refused to give me workers compensation for their mistakes and then when I finally healed and could work again, they let me go the minute I walked in the door.
Not what it used to be.
Franchise Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 22, 2018
When I started at Orion, I was very proud to work for an organization that looked out for its employees. It was fun, challenging, and overall a great place to work. Unfortunately as time went on, it became a “who you know” club. Once they started selling to investment firms that knew nothing about the industry, seems like they transformed the way management managed. The attrition soon followed. People who’d been with the company for years, and loyal, were either let go or left. The value of the company has suffered. I’m still in touch with many employees as I made great friends while there and it hasn’t gotten any better in the years since I’ve been gone. Sad.
Pros
Great product! The best in the business.
Cons
With the management style that exists today, I don’t foresee even the product saving it. I hope I’m wrong for all those whom they employ.
Poor managment and verbally abusive employees
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sioux FallsMay 30, 2018
Just a terrible place to work. Employees do not respect supervisors and make their jobs very difficult. Culture is terrible because employees don't respect anyone. There was nothing enjoyable about this job.
Expect to much
Franchise Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Somewhere in the USApril 24, 2018
You are expected to return to much in results when you have very little control of the sales process. You have no real strength in you franchise agreements for the consultant to make any real changes.
Pros
Unlimited vacation
Cons
Poor management. Not sure if they had true management training
Very bad place to work
Machine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 17, 2018
Management was really terrible. They hire for busy season then give a dumb excuse when you are let go because they don't want to pay unemployment. I was lied to by management about my duties so I would take the job. Very poor management
very busy place
Warehouse Lead Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 7, 2018
while at Orion I received my forklift certification and learned to drive a yard truck moving around semi trailers from the different buildings and loading and unloading trailers with a forklift
Cons
working conditions in the freezer