Orion Marine Group Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 12, 2018
everyone got along with each other. we were like a big family. the pay was good too only because you work 84 hours a week. and your never home. that's why I had to quit i have three girls now and had two at the time and was never able to be around them. so it was either family or money and I picked family.
Horrible Place to work if within the Accounting Dept
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
Was a great company and possibly still could be. The person who runs the accounting department is unqualified and lacks the interpersonal skills needed to head up a large group. Multiple complaints have been made that have escalated to upper management (CFO and CEO) Still no improvement and nothing planned to improve the situation. At this point it is either deal with the way it is or find a new job.
Lead Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
I enjoyed the past pace atmosphere and always being busy. I enjoyed my fellow co-workers and the family oriented. The hardest part of the job was having to enter the amount of invoices that I received on a daily basis
No room for advancement
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2018
Not a company that is willing to pay for your hard work. People have been there for many years and not able to move up and with a very minimum salary.
Really enjoyed my time at Orion
Equipment /Yard Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2017
I really loved it here, struggled with leaving but wanted to come back to Jacksonville. I started with them in Jacksonville but was relocated to the Tampa operation. Great people and great company.
Pros
Location was awesome
Cons
Quit stressfull, but I tend to like a certain amount of stress so was fine.
Decent place to work
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 11, 2017
Orion is a decent place to work, but as the old saying goes "too many chiefs and not enough indians". They have too many people calling the shots and it doesn't flow very smoothly.
Working for Orion Marine Group
Field Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Various Locations.October 31, 2017
I will not return to work for Orion Marine Group nor, will I ever recommend a friend to work for Orion Marine Group. Orion Group Lake of communications with staff is unbelievable , nor existed. I worked almost 11 hours a day and was on call 24/7 with no proper compensation.
Team players
Document Controller/Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2017
the management team I worked with was great, Learn something new every day. Always strive to learn more and more daily. it was truly a great team. I was honor to work for the company
Coworkers were awsome
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2017
Employees that were laid off were not given notice until the morning of.

Some managers at Orion has driven the company down.

Coworkers got along well
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor raises to the hard workers
not good
Barge Foreman (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 12, 2017
some of the crew were great people. thats what made the job
once job complete uppers in office changes found out by
phone call lay off . can you say used.

Want to know more about Orion Marine Group?

Ask a question
Excellent place to work with many chances to advance.
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 11, 2017
The typical day can range from paperwork to remote jobs. I have learned a great deal from the time I have spent with Orion, from corporate and my current Supervisor. The most enjoyable part of my employment would be that I can see the impact that my efforts have on the work force.
Theres better out there
Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 20, 2017
ok company to work for if you're just starting out as a welder to gain experience and move on to bigger and better things. the pay is not all that and it can take a couple of years if your lucky to get your first raise, so make sure not to settle for what ever little numbers they throw at you and negotiate a wage that you'll be comfortable with for a while.
Good company at first
Anon (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 20, 2017
First few years were great until new supervision came along. They started firing people and hiring new management who didnt know half the things they said they knew. A lot of favortism.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Favortism
Company had difficult time going through change with little support from senior management
Corporate Controller (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2016
Senior management wanted a culture which they were not willing to support at the end of the day. Reduced costs and organizational efficiencies were expected, but key team members were not held accountable or required to function as a team or follow the rules established to reach strategic plans.
funwork place
Pile Driver/welder (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 1, 2015
there were not a lot of typical day at work we were working on a naval base so there was alot going on around us it was hard to stay foused. but it taught me to keep my mind on the task set before me after the first couple of days it was second nature. management was good they all knew you and took time if you had a problem to listen and help you out with the problem. my coworkers were some of the best guys i worked with people i can call my friends there was no hate or bad blood between any of us now i am sure we made each other mad got upset at one another but face it you spend more time with the guys at work than your own family.the job was not hard it had its moments were it would make you wonder why am i out here but i remind myself when it gets hard that i have my wife and my three kids at home depending on me to work and that is the most enjoyable part of my job is that i am working supporting my family
Pros
payed holidays an vac and could sell vac time if you didn't want to use it
Cons
not a whole lot of overtime
Dive department
Diver/Tender (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2015
The on site supervisors for the dive crews are excellent. So long as you are on a job there is no problem. The management at the headquarters however leaves room for improvement. If you are not on a job you can expect to have work of little importance on a daily basis, a graded down pay scale, and a hostile to semi-hostile work environment.
Pros
On job, good company
Cons
Lulls between jobs are awful
Productive, tried to be fun
A/P Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2014
tended to treat employees well. decent benefits. great break room w/ great ice machine and flavored coffee!
only thing negative is the office politics and people taking things to personal - leave your personal stuff at home!
Pros
coffee room, decent people, steady work pace
Cons
Management decisions based on personal feelings
Support company or seek self improvement
Marine construction helper (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2012
Spend long hours completing task to ensure quality, willing to work with and learn new ideas to make improvements. Enjoys working with a crew or individually, to accomplishment all missions.
Pros
wants to improve quality of life
Cons
enjoy working long hours
Meet and worked with a nice group of people
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2012
Payroll Department was a great place to work. Monday - Wednesday were hectic days. It was a challenge to get payroll on time. Work hours were good.
Pros
new friends
benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orion Marine Group. Our community is ready to answer.