Orlando Utilities Commission Employee Reviews

Worst place to work
PRBU Tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 22, 2019
Skin culture, buddy system if you are smart in your field they act intimidating and find a way to fire the employee. Management don't care unless the power generation equipment is not making money. If you are not white or your family works there you are done. HR is worthless.
Pros
Cons
All the above
Productive and a fun place to work.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 4, 2019
Responsible, goal oriented, enthusiastic professional who possesses a high degree of integrity and personal character. Superior training ability, knowledge of business operations reliability, and commitment to customer satisfaction.
N/a
LIFER (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 28, 2019
The overall rating should be more than enough information for an individual to figure out the environment. This is me just filling in the blanks so I c
Billing Analyst
Customer Account Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 16, 2018
If you like government work, you'll love OUC. Everyday is the same, unless there's a hurricane, then it's a mad house. Lots of opportunities to move up in the company
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Work is repetitive
great staff, bad managment
Customer Account Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 24, 2018
it seems like a great place to work but the opportunities for advancement are not good. it has an odd culture of not wanting to tell people what they did wrong, instead, they move people from project to project and mistakes continue to get made.
Overall, A Good Company
Power Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2018
If you are a hard worker you will be rewarded. Hourly employees were able to advance in pay every 6 months + a yearly cost of living increase. Benefits are very good. Great retirement program. Flexibility with options on how to be compensated for overtime hours.

Poor work life balance at the power plant. Over 20% overtime, weekends & rotating shifts.

Promotion opportunities often given to outside applicants. They will avoid offering entry level positions which makes career development difficult if interesting in working in other areas in the company.
Pros
Benefits. Compensation.
Cons
Work Life Balance. Career Development
PAINTER JOURNEYMAN/BRACE (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2018
Orlando Utilities Commission has a wide variety of careers to choose from within from janitorial maintenance to top notch welders. I myself had the opportunity to be a painter/Blaster and gain a lot of experience and exposure to a different environment and people around.
Real Work Experience
Commercial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 19, 2018
I worked at OUC as an intern. Being an intern at OUC I learned a lot about the logistics of running a large corporation. The culture here is also AMAZING. They are all like a big family.
Pros
The pay, the culture of the company
Change of Responsibilities
Instructional Designer - Customer Care and Billing (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2018
During the interview, I was told that I would be rewriting existing training documents. When I got there, that was not the case. I was writing new modules for training. The modules were very small and took little time to develop. There was little for me to do.

Management kept changing their minds on nearly everything.
Pros
Excellent rate
Cons
No direction
na
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 30, 2018
• Handling billing inquiries and service requests
• Explaining electric and water charges to our customers
• Offering advice about how our customers can save energy and money
• Explaining company policies, procedures and government regulations as they relate to customer billing and service
• Back office mail (Admin)
Good internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Awesome staff made work very enjoyable. Got a real look into how large corporation project transitions go. I felt that I was not utilized for what I could do and did data analysis the majority of the time.
Very diverse organization
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 8, 2017
The company departments are silos,they have pretty poor communication between each other and can be territorial. It is a smaller company where everyone knows each other and as a public utility there are a lot of politics involved, they're not owned by the city but they answer to them.
Good work-life balance
Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 10, 2017
Good benefits for employees
Good work-life balance, but it could be slow paced
Great company culture
Overall would recommend to a friend
Lots of room for improvement with team morale
CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVE I (FULL-TIME) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 10, 2017
A typical day consists of an avg of 85 calls per day or more. I have learned what it is like to work with all different personality types over the phone and how important it is to meet the need of the customer even though it is not a face to face interaction. There are days where there is mandatory overtime and you are required to work during hurricanes, (mandatory) but of course the compensation increases.

Overall OUC is a good company to work for, providing excellent hourly pay and benefits upon hire. However, upper management is not concerned w/morale and that can make the job at hand robotic, especially when being micro managed. The decision to move on had to do with a sudden stagnation encountered with my growth, this was due to the lack of developing representatives or preparing them for future roles.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Un-orderly Management
Great work place.
Field Tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 2, 2017
Great place to work, Got my own vehicle which was brand new, great people and supervisiors. Job paid well and was not hard at all. they cared about our safety and always gave us what we needed,
Pros
Brand new car. Lots of freedom, paidtime off and great benefits
Cons
nothing
Good manager and co-workers I was just a contractor there.
Disbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 19, 2017
Your manager knows what you do and what could be area employee need more help. Good accounting software training, and flex work schedule. You could bring work computer home and work from home time to time.

I was not a employee of Orlando Utilities Commission, and just a contractor there.
Interesting and rewarding work environment
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, FloridaJune 6, 2017
I loved the ability to make my own decisions on customer's needs. It made what customer service is all about. My manager was very supportive in their capacity as assisting me in performing my job.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
It tends to get stressful working with customers who can't afford their utilties.
Regular call center
Asset Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2017
Typical contact center settings, relaxed but busy, taking incoming calls, assisting customers in paying electric bill, reconnecting, and disconnecting
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Great place
Marketing and Community Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 22, 2017
Amazing place to work and opportunities are varied within the organization. Great culture and benefits are good as well. I would go back in a different position in a heartbeat
An outstanding work environment
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 13, 2016
A great place to work with outstanding pay and benefits. The best job I ever had. The management treats you like family.They paid for my first wife's cancer treatments for over 20 years.They offered a great career path. I started at $25,000 per year and ended at $85,000 per year for 26 years.
Pros
flexible work hours, great work environment, outstanding benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orlando Utilities Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

Orlando Utilities Commission Reviews by Location