Orlando Utilities Commission Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Real Work Experience
Commercial Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 19, 2018
I worked at OUC as an intern. Being an intern at OUC I learned a lot about the logistics of running a large corporation. The culture here is also AMAZING. They are all like a big family.
Pros
The pay, the culture of the company
Change of Responsibilities
Instructional Designer - Customer Care and Billing (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2018
During the interview, I was told that I would be rewriting existing training documents. When I got there, that was not the case. I was writing new modules for training. The modules were very small and took little time to develop. There was little for me to do.

Management kept changing their minds on nearly everything.
Pros
Excellent rate
Cons
No direction
Good internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 18, 2018
Awesome staff made work very enjoyable. Got a real look into how large corporation project transitions go. I felt that I was not utilized for what I could do and did data analysis the majority of the time.
Very diverse organization
Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 8, 2017
The company departments are silos,they have pretty poor communication between each other and can be territorial. It is a smaller company where everyone knows each other and as a public utility there are a lot of politics involved, they're not owned by the city but they answer to them.
Good work-life balance
Intern (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 10, 2017
Good benefits for employees
Good work-life balance, but it could be slow paced
Great company culture
Overall would recommend to a friend
Lots of room for improvement with team morale
CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVE I (FULL-TIME) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 10, 2017
A typical day consists of an avg of 85 calls per day or more. I have learned what it is like to work with all different personality types over the phone and how important it is to meet the need of the customer even though it is not a face to face interaction. There are days where there is mandatory overtime and you are required to work during hurricanes, (mandatory) but of course the compensation increases.

Overall OUC is a good company to work for, providing excellent hourly pay and benefits upon hire. However, upper management is not concerned w/morale and that can make the job at hand robotic, especially when being micro managed. The decision to move on had to do with a sudden stagnation encountered with my growth, this was due to the lack of developing representatives or preparing them for future roles.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Un-orderly Management
Great work place.
Field Tech (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 2, 2017
Great place to work, Got my own vehicle which was brand new, great people and supervisiors. Job paid well and was not hard at all. they cared about our safety and always gave us what we needed,
Pros
Brand new car. Lots of freedom, paidtime off and great benefits
Cons
nothing
Good manager and co-workers I was just a contractor there.
Disbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 19, 2017
Your manager knows what you do and what could be area employee need more help. Good accounting software training, and flex work schedule. You could bring work computer home and work from home time to time.

I was not a employee of Orlando Utilities Commission, and just a contractor there.
Interesting and rewarding work environment
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, FloridaJune 6, 2017
I loved the ability to make my own decisions on customer's needs. It made what customer service is all about. My manager was very supportive in their capacity as assisting me in performing my job.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
It tends to get stressful working with customers who can't afford their utilties.
Regular call center
Asset Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2017
Typical contact center settings, relaxed but busy, taking incoming calls, assisting customers in paying electric bill, reconnecting, and disconnecting
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Great place
Marketing and Community Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 22, 2017
Amazing place to work and opportunities are varied within the organization. Great culture and benefits are good as well. I would go back in a different position in a heartbeat
An outstanding work environment
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 13, 2016
A great place to work with outstanding pay and benefits. The best job I ever had. The management treats you like family.They paid for my first wife's cancer treatments for over 20 years.They offered a great career path. I started at $25,000 per year and ended at $85,000 per year for 26 years.
Pros
flexible work hours, great work environment, outstanding benefits
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 15, 2016
OUC is an amazing company to work for. Reasonable hours great supervisors. 1 hour for lunch, not many opportunities for over time. Lot of company events to attend within the community
Good job security
HR Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 28, 2016
My immediate team is great but it seems there can be significant tension between some groups. Many employees are just comfortable in their jobs. Some employees are resistant to change and adapting to new technologies. Decisions by senior staff can take quite a while to be settled on.
Pros
Comfortable job to retire in
Cons
Slow to make changes
Requirements
Business Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 19, 2016
Company is really great. They treat you as equally as a full time here. There is always something to learn about it. Great projects. Company is headed towards innovation.
Unhealthy Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 9, 2016
Lots of cliques! Manages through intimidation. No comradery. Persistent & Successful in their pursuit to create an environment of cookie-cut employees by consistently threatening job security. OUC is a good employer, however, the environment is toxic.
Pros
Excellent Pay & Benefits
Cons
Old Leadership, Cliques & Intimidation
Offers good benefits
Web and Digital Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 18, 2015
OUC offers good benefits and stable employment. They are a medium sized company so the tendency is for individuals to wear many hats.
very productive and organized organization
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 8, 2015
was a great opportunity to witness an organization ran so smoothly and organized, Benefits was great work was well laid out and being I work so hard and had enough knowledge I was basically my own boss. Management was superb. I left looking for more responsibility.
Pros
Great benifits and easy work well organized
Cons
not enough responsibility
Great People
Commercial Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando FlMarch 24, 2015
• Compute deposit quotes
• Setup new commercial and residential utility services
• Handle sensitive situations and difficult customers
• Explain company rates, policies and procedures to internal and external customers
• Initiate, terminate, and transfer customer accounts
• Determine deposit requirements; accurately quote and collect deposits and outstanding debt
• Understand electric and water metering and meter reading with the ability to convey information to customers.
• Explain factors affecting high bills, counsel on efficient use of electricity and water and identify possible billing errors
• Recognize adjustments on accounts; explain adjustments to customers and issue simple adjustments
Pros
blood drives, 5K's for good causes, free movie tickets
Cons
long hours, long commute
Incompetent Mgmt = Poorly executed & time-crunched projects
Sr. Microsoft Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2014
It appears that IT management staff lacks the skills & knowledge required to properly plan out the time required to fully execute & implement projects...and despite poor results from past project failures, they continue to insist on utilizing the same bad philosophies for future projects. Also...95% of IT staff is outsourced to a single external contracted firm...which results in zero collaboration with any staff that is not employed by the same firm and major internal political issues. Unless they perform a top down reorganization of management, dump the dominate existing contracted IT firm, and equally diversify the outsourcing of firms for IT contracts to create a more collaborative environment...it is recommended to avoid employment at this place in all aspects.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orlando Utilities Commission. Our community is ready to answer.

Orlando Utilities Commission Reviews by Location