Orrick Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor leadership, no sense of direction, chaotic/reactive management
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 25, 2018
The Orrick office in Wheeling was a great place to work when I started. A collegial, collaborative environment. A few years ago they put a very poor leader into the COO role, someone coming out of HR who had no business running a law firm. Lack of knowledge and competency on their part created a defensive and stressful environment throughout the firm. Their cronies got pay increases but wage increases stagnated for those actually doing the work. It no longer is a great place to work, despite recent accolades that indicate elsewise which were obtained by bribing folks with food and parties in advance of the surveys used to determine such things.
Pros
Benefits and Pay in a fairly economically depressed area, that's why there are there if we're honest about it.
Cons
Terrible leadership on the administrative side. Cronyism, administrative leadership that lacks vision and competency
Contract review
SPECIAL COUNSEL (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2018
Contract review via special counsel. Worked at an hourly rate at approximately 40-60 hours a week. Basic document / contract review for an attorney in the Pittsburgh area.
Typical Day
Billing Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 11, 2016
In a typical day at the office, I'm busy from the time I arrive until the time I leave. Depending on the time of the month, I could be doing anything from entering budgets and accruals, to managing and processing invoices for Billing Partners and clients, to communicating and effectively coordinating work with anyone from another Billing Coordinator, a Manager or Director, a Billing Partner, the client, or even a CFO or CPO. My job consists of a number of different tasks that keep the work day interesting, and ever evolving.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Low Compsensation, little room for advancement
Great Place to Work!
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMay 3, 2016
I loved my job at Orrick, amazing place to work and learn a lot from other employees! I would recommend Orrick to any person looking for a solid well rounded company that cares a lot for its employees and families. I really enjoyed every min being at work.
A really good law firm.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 3, 2016
I enjoyed to pace and the camaraderie. I was good at my job and they showed their appreciation. I liked having a regular schedule.
Fun place to work at with great people
Administrative Assistant/Records Coordinator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2015
Hardest place to leave, as everyone was in the company was nice, friendly and positive. Fun work environment and very productive with great attitude. Miss it!
Pros
Free lunches and public transportation allowances
Cons
Budgetary cuts-laid offs
Orrick is a Wonderful Place to Work
Information Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  SF, CADecember 4, 2014
Orrick is a wonderful place to work because of the people. The culture has changed over time but many of the stellar people still work there - I love them.
Beautiful building and wonderful people to serve.
Information Systems and Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 18, 2014
Great place to work. Great opportunity for me personally.
Typical workday involves managing an onsite/remote team of 7 technicians and meeting the needs of 475 attorneys and staff. I learned to manage Server,Network,Telephony,Trial Support, and training functions during my time at Orrick. Management was good. Co-workers are outstanding human beings.
Hardest part of the job was brokering support between a remote Help Desk/Global Operations Center and the HQ Office for a large global law firm. Most enjoyable component was the people and forming lasting trust relationships with them - and to ultimately help the business succeed.
Pros
Onsite gym, Cafe, and free Peete's Coffee
Cons
Nearby construction, not much parking
Typical at at work
Legal assistant/Secretary/Coverage Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAOctober 15, 2013
In the mornings, I begin by going through all PTO requests, calendar the requests, update the daily outlist, check the attendance hotline, if a secretary is absent, I quickly locate backup coverage for his/her team, and email the office administrator and the respective team. I also make myself available for assitance if it is required. Finally, I send to the office the outlist.

I check the attorneys' calendars for any and all upcoming events, filings, etc. I usually email the team of any updates from the Courts, and deadlines to anticipate. We receive daily litigation calendar reminders from our litigation help desk. Those dates are always update on the attorneys' calendars.

In the afternoons, if there are any court filings, I turn my attention to those and execute the process from start to finish. When I am not required to perform any litigation-related duties, I check my to-do list for any administrative tasks yet to be completed.

Before leaving work, I check the next days' calendar for any upcoming deadlines and events.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Hard to get employment/advancement -- Lots of Favoritism
Admin Employee (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WV - GOCJuly 29, 2013
Benefits are nice. Compensation is fair. A hard firm to get in to, even if you've been employed by Orrick beforehand with good performance. Wheeling Branch tends to have lots of favoritism. All about who you know to get in and get any kind of advancement. Lots of gossip.
Pros
Free parking and benefits offered.
Cons
Favoritism, gossip, hard to advance.
Orrick
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVNovember 12, 2012
The company used a lot of contract attorneys to complete jobs. The attorneys are often laid off quickly after a project is finished.
Productive workplace
CRM (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVMarch 1, 2012
Review Summary concludes that Orrick is a productive workplace with FREE Parking
Pros
free parking