Orvis Employee Reviews

Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 13, 2019
All in all Orvis was eye opening and a great place to work. Just like any job you have few bad apples. But other wise great culture, great atmosphere and Over all very amazing place to work.
Pros
People, Culture, Product, Quality
Okay To make a check
Receiving (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 26, 2018
I worked receiving and it was fast paced. It was a stressful environment as it at times could be cut throat. Advancements are rare for certain people such as myself.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
cut throats and no advancements
Good first job, or retirement job.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke,VaNovember 21, 2018
There are some really great people there but you don't get paid nearly enough for what you put up with. They don't give hardly enough hours but will schedule you outside of your availability "to meet their needs" but good luck trying to change your scheduling availability. Low pay, between 15-30 hours (forget it if you have scheduling needs) and no benefits aside from a discount on products you won't be able to afford.
Pros
The co-workers are friendly
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced active workplace
Packer (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 18, 2018
Work dress code is very relaxed, all that's asked is workers have common sense. Work is fast paced and workers will be standing very often. Training is paid and weekly pay varies based on production.
Pros
Paid Lunches, Paid time off, paid training period
Cons
1st shift varies wildly in terms of start time, can be very inconvenient
Orvis is Great but...
Customer Service Represent (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 25, 2018
I worked at Orvis and loved my job. I had a problem with people around me being to loud since i worked at their call center,and I got lots of headaches but i just kept ibuprofen. I went for a full time position and did not get it and therefore was not able to advance and was advised that it was hard to get full time. i decided to look for more permanent employment elsewhere.
Pros
large breakroom, flexible schedule oppurtunities
Cons
unable to advance
safe workace
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 18, 2018
Its a fun environment to work in but aso very safe. I like the fact that we work alone and at a steady pace. They don't rush us and the job gets done on time.
Pros
They have lunchens
Cons
breaks go by fast
A decent starter job.
Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 12, 2018
Management is alright. The real downside is that Orvis is one of the lowest paying call centers in the Roanoke Va area. You will be on call for anywhere between 5 months to a year. You really don't start making good money until after several annual raises or you reach management status. That said, in my years of experience, the current management there will be there until their retirement. Its a great starter job.
Pros
Flexible and great coworkers
Cons
Lack of opportunity
Fun workplace with basketball court
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  VALDOSTA, GASeptember 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time at The Orvis Co., we were all like family. I began working there as a young man & grew up into this company/ I learned to build doors & windows there & also learned to supervise as well. There was nothing really hard about this job, there were just always a new task or challenge each week with the request from customers to build units to there specs which I enjoyed very much. The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing the task each & every day,
Pros
1 Hr lunch
Cons
Pay rate
TV in the break room
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 15, 2018
Fast-paced & cut-throat. Co-workers would only care about their numbers being posted & if you were trying to get up to speed, sometimes they wouldn't follow regulations.
Pros
Sometimes compensation/lunches when warehouse temperatures are hot.
Cons
Warehouse machine pickers/stockers would sometimes work slow, hindering your ability to achieve your numbers.
Past Employee of Orvis
Retail Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MS 39157August 13, 2018
I loved working at Orvis. My husband's job relocated us out of state or I would still be working for them. I miss my co-workers and my boss very much.
A different atmosphere when i went to work for this company i came from manufacturing to retail enjoyed the people i worked with
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 18, 2018
a different world is the Orvis Company. owners were nice my managers were great alot of incentives to earn certificates that could be used to buy from the catalog
Pros
sometimes during Christmas when the company is the most busy
Cons
short breaks only at Christmas
I looked forward to going to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 5, 2018
Store manager provided goals for the day, management made it enjoyable to work for the Orvis Company. Co workers were willing to assist each other with sales goals. I was already aware that some customers are harder to please than others.
I enjoyed helping customers of all ages understand how much fun one can have in the outdoors. Also they can catch fish and how to release them with as little harm to the fish.
I enjoyed teaching fly tying classes.
Pros
Casual but professional work place
Cons
Orvis decided to close their store footprint in the San Francisco Bay Area after 40 years.
Best retail spot in the country, corporate is stifling.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, VTJune 27, 2018
Simply put, working for Orvis is not like other retail gigs. The company pushes excellence in creating memorable customer experiences, which has contributed immensely to my interpersonal skills. That being said, the corporate office can make questionable marketing decisions and seems to be disconnected with the general retail family.
Pros
meet interesting people, true connection with customers, dogs
Cons
corporate won't get out of the way, expectations are unreasonable for most retail workers
Retail sales in an outlet center
Key Holder / Sales Rep. (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 14, 2018
Open till close, work on something, never a slow minute while there. We was cleaning, sorting packing, shipping, working cash register or just moving things around.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Scheduling and no down time.
A Learning Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Somerville, MAMay 19, 2018
I earned a tremendous amount of experience in customer service and built confidence in working and leading team projects. I not only learned how to manage money but manage a remerchandising whenever asked to.
Pros
Respectful working environment
Cons
Bad management
Poor management
Retail manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
If you like to be a puppet on a string this is the job for you. If you are up for poor training, poor management and backstabbing behavior then you will love it !
Pros
Good products good discounts
Cons
Very poor management very “clicky” too much like high school
Warehouse
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 29, 2018
A typical day is loading and unloading trucks the most enjoyable part of the job are the employees they are very friendly and you will be able to get hours.
Nice environment with good perks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WAFebruary 23, 2018
Orvis is a good place to work if you are interested in fishing and/or working with great co-workers. The environment is conducive to a good work-life balance.
Productive and fun working environment
Seasonal Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2018
If you love tradition, the outdoors, fly fishing and hunting then Orvis might be a good fit for you. Established in 1856, Orvis has established themselves in American culture as the premier retailer of classic country lifestyles.
Pros
Great co-workers!
Cons
Could have used more hours.
It’s a fun place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 18, 2017
Orvis was the first place where I was certified to operated a forklift, there’s always room for growth at the work place.. it’s a fun loving work place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Orvis. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight