OSF HealthCare Employee Reviews

collaborative department excellent leadership
Coding Educator (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 17, 2019
I am able to work independently and have access to great resources and can always count on team support. The entire OSF culture promotes patient first.
Unsure
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Peoria County, ILFebruary 2, 2019
You don't have much time to yourself or family outside of work. It is hard to find time to schedule and make personal appointments. Strict rules, and people with seniority get away with everything. Very messy work place. However, there is PTO and sick time you can accumulate.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Too much
Fast-paced work environment
Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 26, 2019
As a sonographer, the work flow is very fast-paced. Responsible for breast, ER, inpatients, interventional procedures, outpatients, and add ons. Management falls short, as I feel they are out of touch with the ultrasound department - but amazing coworkers compensate. Work schedule is typically 2 10 hour shifts and 1 12 hour shift (830-9) with overnight call one night a week and as of right now every 5th weekend on call. Call is relatively heavy. Example: Sat/Sun 6-15 patients. Varies.
OSF Rockford Wide
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 21, 2019
Supreme job culture. To serve with the greatest care and love is very evident, not to just the patients, but among employees also. Such a Christ-like loving culture.

Needs to work on Nursing Retention and employing more nurses. The patient acuity to nurse ratio is too high. Nurses end up working more hours than what they were originally employed for. Managers snark over overtime that is put in, which is needed to complete one shift's work. But since we work overtime to complete a shift's work, the higher ups let us which finds the "no need for hiring more staff" because we are getting our jobs done without requiring more staff. If you have to work 14-16 hours for a 12 hour shift, there is something wrong. Same with the 8 hour shifts. It's all about the acuity, in the hospital and clinic setting. Overall, the work/life balance needs to improve. It will if the above improves.
Do not work here! Run away ... Quickly.
Management (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJanuary 19, 2019
Run, don't walk, away from this place. The only slightly decent thing about working here is the pay, which is slightly above average for the area. Be warned, keep all of that pay because you'll need it when they let you go! Administration is a joke, management is a joke, their "mission" is a complete JOKE. They want you to believe their mission is to help patients, the community, etc etc, BUT their real mission is GREED. Typical of a religious organization, they will sell you out in a heartbeat to the almighty dollar. No job is safe here, especially management. They will fire you on a whim, they will restructure any and all positions and you will be out the door without any notice. And make no mistake, regardless of what you're told, there is a nun that runs the place. You are at her mercy. She is everywhere all the time and you are expected to literally drop whatever you're doing at any given time to cater to her demands. And as expected, since she is completely out of touch with reality, her demands are absolutely absurd. I honestly have no idea where all the money has gone that has been donated to this place, as most of it looks like it's straight out of the 1950's. The place is clean, but you can't tell because everything is old and out of date. There is a reason they can't keep qualified doctors and staff here. I've given my family explicit instructions to NOT let me be admitted here for ANY reason. Do not work here, do not come here if you're sick, DO NOT COME HERE!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Friendly Place
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 19, 2019
High paced work environment. Everyone is very friendly and are always willing to help. Willing to help their employees succeed in and outside f the work place.
Management seems to be on a downward slide
IT Department Employee (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 17, 2019
I worked for the organization for 8 years. In the beginning, there was a culture that genuinely promoted caring for your co-workers as well as patients. I saw that slowly being replaced by a culture and management style that encouraged advancement at the expense of others. Encouraging co-workers to report on each other to win favor with their boss. It was sad to see. Some really great people to work with. It's unfortunate they are being managed so poorly.

PTO and Holidays were one blended together. So it looks like you would actually get more time off than you do because your PTO time is used for Holidays. Of course, in IT, you might be on-call for the holiday, so you end up being required to use your PTO time, but then working from home anyway.

Health benefits were good. 401k standard. Offered long/short term disability.
Perspectives From A Contract Employee
Contract Employee (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 14, 2019
My impression of OSF HealthCare System as a Contract Employee is varied and is solely dependent upon the atmosphere and management of each department I have worked in. Leadership in the first department I worked in was very clique-ish and generally more favorable towards certain specific employees, even when those particular employees were grossly obnoxious and bullied and harassed most of the rest of the staff. Reports were made numerous times about one specific employee who went around to many other staff members telling them how she thought that other staff member was doing everything completely wrong in their job, although at times she did not even do the job that other person was doing and had expressed her complete and total dislike of ever doing that job. Other times, she was disparaging the efforts of those in the same position as she (which was not in a leadership capacity) who were doing their very best to get the job done by telling them she wanted them to do the job her way and not according to the established departmental protocol and procedures. As previously stated, leadership personnel was informed numerous times but only seemed interested in the numbers and not the fact that this type of behavior is extremely demoralizing to the staff members and also undermines the morale and productivity of the department as a whole, thus adding more stress and anxiety to what can at times is already be a highly anxiety-ridden situation. That person, unfortunately, in spite of being called into the department director's office numerous times about these behaviors, is  more... still employed in that department.

It became so stressful for me that I finally asked my contract employee supervisor to move me to another department within OSF. I have now been there for nearly five months and am thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. The work is still somewhat stressful and can be overwhelming at times, but the environment itself is vastly different. With the understanding that there is no such thing as a "perfect" department or employer, I can honestly say about the second department I have not observed any of the cattiness and petty behaviors in this present department that exist and thrive in the prior situation, and for that I am truly grateful.
Pros
Acquiring various types of skills and work experience
Cons
HR seems to be extremely slow about applications and scheduling for interviews
Please see below
Denials/Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 9, 2019
During my employment many needed changes were needed and made toward the end. This included adding additional staff, changing role classifications, work hours, etc. The work load was extremely heavy.
Mission driven and focused
VICE PRESIDENT, PATIENT ACCESS (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 8, 2019
Very strong on Mission of organization and aims to extend that Mission to all we serve. Organization is innovative and transforming and looking for top talent to lead into the future.
Catholic company
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 19, 2018
At OSF, Catholicism is forced upon you regardless if you participate in that religion or not. They also did not have a structured internship program, as most large employers do. They gave away my desk and moved me to another location while I was on vacation and didn't tell me until I got back.
Enjoyable Job
Patient Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 11, 2018
Working at OSF was the best that I could have gotten since moving to Peoria IL. I'm hoping to find another opportunity to go back and continue to work for a great company. management understanding and tired to help continue my career as a rep in patient services.
Pros
Time off, Family Oriented
Cons
no cons for this company
RN - Emergency Dept.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 16, 2018
I love education and training I have received. I love the fast paced work environment and the variety of patient care. Each day is a little bit different and I have learned so much. I plan to stay at OFS for many years.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and management
Cons
Can get stressful when busy or rude patients.
Catty, gossipy and immature childish mentality
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 11, 2018
OSF creates an unattainable work environment. One particular department has been reported by numerous mission partners, including nursing supervisors, yet this department continues to force their mission partners to work short staffed while their manager and supervisor contribute nothing to patient care. This department instills fear in their employees and is overly involved in their mission partners personal affairs. The manager is biased and allows her supervisor to get away with threatening and creating a hostile work environment.
Pros
Cons
Management and budget
Constant changes. Fast paced yet fun, casual enviroment.
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 11, 2018
OSF has been great to me. It is a true family feeling and what we do is important. I have learned alot and i feel i have alot to offer. Healthcare is constantly changing and that is a never ending window of opportunity to learn.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits.
Cons
Can be stressful
How can managemant be so bad.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 6, 2018
The work is stressful, unrewarding, but it is a pay check. Might be a good place to start but be looking for a new job immediately since chances are the management and there cronies will make life difficult for you. If you like a place that you are better off not talking with anyone this is it. Anything you say will be used against you. Management talks about working the mission, but when your treated this badly its hard to be a team member. Actually had a survey to do that dealt with the mission, poor reviews were blamed on hourly, not the poor management of the mission. Training does not exist at OSF, although there are a few people that really showed me the jobs, but on average training was poor by management.
The sisters should consider taking the OSF name off the hospitals, they are no longer a Catholic based organization based on treating people with care.
Pros
Got my feet wet in the medical field
Cons
Management, supervision, pay.
Good Place to work
Senior Physician Recruiter, FASPR (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 5, 2018
Really no opportunity for advancement. It is a very subjective place to work. Merit increases are minimal, average 2% and doesn't keep pace with cost of living. They rarely do market compensations reviews to adjust for lacking merit increase.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much for cross training or development
Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 2, 2018
OSF had a strong sense of responsibility related to delivery of patient care. Job was always challenging given the dynamic nature of healthcare related to technology.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 28, 2018
A great atmosphere to work. Everyone from every department always had a smile on their face and was willing and happy to help with anything. Management always treated everyone fairly.
Pros
Free meal tickets when working extra hours
Cons
no room for advancement
Great co-workers, horrible management
CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ILOctober 25, 2018
The management at the RHC in Monmouth is absolutely horrible. She is headstrong and if something doesn't go her way, she is trying to fire you or get you in trouble with HR. She is arrogant and yells at mission partners in front of other mission partners. She is running that office into the ground and is running employees away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSF HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight