Oshkosh Corporation Employee Reviews

Great Company, selective business units
Segment Commodity Manager (Current Employee) –  Dodge Center, MNOctober 15, 2018
Great company with products that elicit national pride. Be very careful which business units you decide to work, as some are modern, well funded with solid processes and technology. Others are stuck in the 80s, underfunded, with horrible cultures.
Pros
Benefits package.
Cons
Lack of upwards mobility -no Director positions in various Segments / Depts..
Competitive job that focuses on workers
Drafter Intern (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIAugust 16, 2018
Oshkosh Corporation is a rapidly growing company that has numerous projects on their hand. They will always accommodate your skills to fit a job for you. Their executive team always makes sure that their workers are their number one priority. Would definitely recommend applying to any of their many divisions.
Pros
Great benefits, employee-focused
Cons
Fast-paced, competitive market
Liked working with employees, management was another story
Assembler/Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh DefenseDecember 25, 2018
Good pay, strong union, great benefits but job security was only their if you had seniority. Stess level is very high day to day. Only two speeds very fast or very slow when slow often sent home.
life balance
Industrial Designer III (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 15, 2018
I was promised a promotion and had unbelievable praise on my work but when I missed some time for being ill, I was basically replaced. Expects priority over work life balance.
Low Base salaries. Good bonus structure
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIOctober 8, 2018
Oshkosh does a great job of balancing work with time off. As a leader they also offer me a great deal of autonomy on the job. Oshkosh's only area for improvement is in base salary. They do, however, have a very good bonus structure base on company performance.
Pros
low base salary
Cons
very good work / personal life balance
great people... but ...
Sr Project Engineer for New Product Development (Former Employee) –  Dodge Center, MNSeptember 19, 2018
I worked with great people, who where limited in their ability to make good decisions by corporate overseers. the local HR at McNeilus was a complete joke. They were puppets of corporate and could/would not make any decision on their own.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
self-serving managers
Engineering (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 30, 2018
Jerr-Dan Corporation is a good place to work. Health Insurance, 401K, and wellness benefits are decent. People are friendly. Management could use some work.
Pros
Discounts
Excellent Benefits and Pay
Industrial Painter (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 4, 2018
This company offers excellent benefits and pay with chances of advancement given. I also noticed that people who have difficulty with the job in their department are offered another position in another department that was more suited to their needs.

They have something in place to help employees deal with problems in their life outside of work that I was very impressed with.
Manufacturing Job
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJune 25, 2018
This is an average manufacturing job. Benefits are good not great.
There is a lot of "mandatory" overtime. Many of the full timers don't show up for the overtime, so new people have to find ways to get the work done on thier own
Benefits
Cons
See above
Contract Proofreader
(Cadre) - Copy Editor/Desktop Publisher (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 22, 2018
I worked 90-hour weeks to proofread military vehicle proposal documents. It was a lot of work, but great experience and would recommend people to do at least one contract for experience.
Pros
Great colleagues, catered meals, overtime pay
Cons
No benefits, felt invisible and unappreciated, 90-hour work week
great enviroment
General Assembler (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJune 28, 2018
great energetic work environment...
people work great in teams...
good benefits...
great union...
people first community...
good bonus every year...
great learning for new employees
Can be stressful, but highly rewarding
Sr. Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 22, 2018
Worked with both defense and commercial vehicles. Defense side of the business has a very tall hierarchy and decision making can be very slow at times causing project timelines to be very short with very high effort. Worked many late hours to ensure timelines were met (16+ hours a day). Seemed to be an awful lot of chief engineers, directors, and low level VPs that did not like to communicate "truthfully," with upper level management on project status which at times created a unreasonably hectic work environment. But the products were amazing and you could never forget who you were making them for.
Pros
Paid time off, 401k match were outstanding
Cons
Defense side project management was unrealistic
Cut-Throat
Office Professional (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMarch 19, 2018
Very cut-throat environment. In the office, it was all about who you knew. Some people worked there for a few years with no promotions while others received a new promotion every 6 months. Tons of "managers" who didn't manage anyone or anything. Very political. They hire a lot of veterans (which is really awesome!!!), but the military way of doing things shows up at work a lot and not everyone responds well to that "my way or the highway" type of mentality from their supervisor. Saw it cause a lot of friction more than once, and supervisors weren't willing to adjust in order to successfully work with employees. Work-Life balance is only a thing for Directors/Plant Managers on up. Lots of talking behind your back and then surprises in your annual review. There's no feedback during the year. Union/Management relationship is very poor too and makes it difficult to get your work done or focus when you're busy playing chess all day with the next union move.
Pros
Hire lots of veterans!!!
Cons
Cut-Throat, Political, Bad Union/Management relationship, Unstable future
Great company reputation, poor culture
Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  AppletonOctober 19, 2018
Currently work for Pierce manufacturing, I honestly love the day to day tasks and challenges of my role. It's the culture and deceptive upper management that ruin it. You see the companies true colors after a while and it's ugly. Every employee is just a number to them.
Pros
All the overtime in the world, good mid level management, great coworkers
Cons
The overall culture
Super friendly coworkers and an efficient/safe work environment
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Kasson, MNJanuary 2, 2019
Clocking in at 630a.m. We then make our ways to our designated area where we hold daily safety meetings before starting our day which help us refresh our memories for potential hazards as well as inform us of recent incidents within the company. After which we get to work. I along with my partner assemble and install topdoors for waiste trucks using overhead 2 ton cranes as the parts aren’t lightweight once assembled. Once i had the routine down there wasnt much to worry about as far as difficultys with the job more of just always being sure i am safe and my partner/surrounding areas are safe. The most enjoyable part of the job is our access to scissor and vertical lifts which enable us to instal tailgates to the truck and allow mobile access to the top of the trucks for installing top doors which comes with an awesome view of the facility i work in.
Pros
Met wonderful people
Cons
All around a very caring company
Productive. Dedicated employees
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIFebruary 6, 2018
Oshkosh and their sister segments deserve the high praises they receive from customers.

With years of employee experience and dedication driving to improve todays increasing technical and customer specific demands Oshkosh will continue to be a secure, rewarding place to work
Pros
Wide variety of opportunity. Cool trucks
Cons
Defense contracts can affect employment security.
good place to work
Maintenance Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  McConnellsburg, PANovember 6, 2018
Oshkosh is a good company to work for. The culture in the work place is work hard to meet the goal and if everyone works hard and the goal at the end of the year is meet everyone gets rewarded.
Bad benefits
Painter (Current Employee) –  Kewaunee, WIApril 4, 2018
Bad benefits and bad training. No proper PPE for new hires. No acommodations for people with disabilities. No room for advancing to first shift in short time..
Pros
8 hour shifts
Cons
Takes 5-10 years to get from 3rd shift to 1st shift
Too many work hours not enough time with family.
PRODUCTION ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Riceville, IAJanuary 23, 2018
Basically from the time you are hired at Mcneilus you are expected to work overtime at the mercy of the management. I believe a 45 hour work week should be the maximum hours a employee should have to work but we are expected to work 50 to 55 a week.
Pros
Health Insurance, good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, strict attendance policy
Unorganized
employee (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 4, 2018
Very unorganized company from the top to the bottom. Changes are constantly being made causing confusion of builds while the job is in production all the way through the line. Because of their un organization they end up giving things away left and right just to try and make things right at the end which never happens. They talk about quality but everything is a rush just so they can show jobs shipping for the month. Employees aren't held accountable for their actions. Several employees make the same costly mistakes over and over and seem to constantly skate on by. The company does have some good things going for it but until they wake up and realize how much money they are actually wasting it will probably be too late and they will be out of business.
Pros
recognition program
Cons
very unorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oshkosh Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight