Osmose Utilities Services Inc Employee Reviews

Terrible job for anyone
Utility service foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 19, 2019
Supervison is a joke one supervisor tells you to do one thing while the other tells and swears at you throwing insults. There is no set rhyme or reason the way the job is done every "territory" had their own way they wanted the job done and if not done their way then pandoras box opensand you're the idiot. They dont pay per diem unless your halfway across the world and then still you have to jump through hoops to get it. They offer "unlimited" hours but fail to mention that it's based on whether you can get so many units per hour and if not you get yelled at and stuck at 40. The crew members are paid garbage and your supervisor would like you to treat them like so. Not a good job for anyone that has morals might be for some just not me
Pros
Paid hotels
Cons
Terrible management, lots of unpaid hours of dealing with phone calls computer work and truck maintenance
Hard work
Treater (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 18, 2019
It's really hard hot work also dirty but the checks are huge hotel living everything paid not alot of off or home time travel alot but fun and got aloy of certificates from them
Pros
Good money food travel
Cons
No home time
Good work
Digger (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin Dells, WIMarch 12, 2019
Good people to work with. I worked in wisconsin around the dells treating and digging holes. Hard job but fun to do. I would apply again. Closer to rockford .
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Hot
Its a joke.
Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDMarch 9, 2019
Place was a joke. My foreman was absolute garbage. I'm from Idaho, they kept sending us to SD because no other crews could cut it. We arrived and they failed to mention we would be climbing mountains to dig rocks with awful equipment. If we didn't hit our daily numbers, we got in trouble. We would make plans to go home for a weekend, but would get in trouble and told to stay another week. 3 weeks turned into 4 and so on. They don't care what the weather or terrain is, they only want your numbers to be high. Upper management is an absolute joke. They don't care about their employees or their families. Bonus was hard to hit, we would find people to come work for us, but Osmose would deny them for some dumb reason. majority of our time in SD it was me and my foreman, who also didn't do didly squat to help me out. I was a digger, treater, and the person to be walking. he drove the truck from pole to pole. I brought it up to our supervisor and he told me to suck it up. Osmose is a joke, I would recommend finding a job that has better management.
Pros
Nothing.
treated power poles
treated power poles (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMarch 7, 2019
We worked In Indianapolis most of the time I wasn't really there long enough to really experience the job. all I really did was dig around power poles and someone would come behind me and treat it for what I seen though it was a good job.
a all around poor management and poor workers
Foreman Trainee (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 4, 2019
I worked for this company for 3 days and they completely care nothing about your safety. they don't care about you as an employee. the turn over rate is so high because they are willing to fire you for anything that is at there digression. on top of that the management are disrespectful, and do very little work. I was not given a fair chance at the job and I don't suggest anyone apply for any position at this company. It isn't something anybody should go through.
Pros
nothing
Cons
break your back for low pay. work hard for disrespect. no days off, no sick days, if you don't work, you will be fired.
Typical day or week was spent in the vehicle driving to locations
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2019
A typical day was spent working with field crews and paperwork which included spreadsheets, work flow, payrolls and quality and safety audits.

Over my 19 years with Osmose I learned to supervise and motivate employees. I spent a lot of my time hiring, and training new recruits to the company and enforcing company safety policy.

Management at Osmose ranged from those who were a pleasure to work with and for to micro-managers.

The workplace culture varied by location and managers I was required to report to.

The most difficult part of the job was the ongoing travel. Sometimes I was required to travel up to 2000 miles a week. My employees were not always in close proximity

The most enjoyable part of the job was having the freedom to set my schedule for each week.
Pros
Gas card and mileage for my personal vehicle were provided
Cons
Too much travel, the work life home life balance was negligible
Hard Work, Always on The road
Forman Trainee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2019
Be prepared for this to be a very labor intense job. Depending on the Forman you get set with for your O.J.T, you most likely will just dig holes for two weeks and work up to 10 hour days depending on the contract they are on. I had to travel and use my own truck to follow the crew since they didn't have room. Our crew worked 6 days a week. So be prepared to not get to go home on the weekend like they say you will. But again this will depend on the Forman you get setup with. Then you will go to Brauman, Ga for training. Which you learn how hard the job actually is. Very labor intense so don't expect to go in making good money and not have to earn it. Once you get done in GA you get sent out to the field with another Forman to show what you learned. Overall if your not afraid of hard work then the job isn't that bad honestly, just a lot of walking thru every terrain you can think of. Management hardly talks to you while your in the field. In training ask all the questions you can, they are there to help you learn what you need to learn and are very hands on. I screwed my knee up and got sent home, but honestly the job is pretty straight forward. You live out of a motel about 80% of the time, because if you live aways away you either have to drive home for a day and head right back or just stay on the road. Once you pass all the Forman training you hire your own crew which is nice you can bond with them pretty quick.

But just don't go into the job thinking it's easy money, it's most definitely not you have to earn it.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Gone a lot, more than they tell you about.
Not terrible, fair pay.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Spent most of my time cranking on a pulley, everything else was set up, hoisting up the jackhammer, setting up the reinforcements and setting the various pulleys, everything after that was driving to the next pole.
Pros
Free lodging.
Cons
Heavy equipment.
Dont do it if you respect yourself!
Foreman (Current Employee) –  everywhereFebruary 10, 2019
local management will run you into the ground. even on your off time. they will constantly pester you and tell you you're always doing something wrong. super nit-picky
High intensity work enviornment in all weather conditions
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 27, 2019
After 7 years of working at osmose I would not have left that it been for the noon stop travels. Living in lower New England crews would typically go home every weekend. Living in the northern most of the region we would spend 3-6 weeks working non stop.
Great job for making good money, staying in shape, and traveling. Great advancement and bonus opportunities.
Pros
Fresh air, travel, exeraize, pay
Cons
Long hours, long stretches away from home, poision ivu, ticks, dogs
job description
Laborer/ Utility Pole Inspector (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 25, 2019
Too make good money you have to work very long days, 60 + hours a week. Alot of walking, working in bad weather, get re located majority of the time. Foremans are great though.
Terrible work life balance
Inspection and Treatment, CFT , Foreman (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 24, 2019
If you are single or just do not like spending anytime with your family then this position is for you. The money seems good until you are always on the road and have to live out of your suitcase in and out of the cheapest hotels they can scrounge up on the CLC list. If you planned on going home Friday and you get rained out one or two days then you will be making up your "guaranteed 40hrs" Friday and Saturday and not get to leave. They have ridiculous expectations when it comes to production and if you arent meeting it they will be all over you. They do not take hiking through mountains and rivers into consideration when setting these numbers.
Pros
Company truck, decent pay
Cons
Never see your family, Management are all out for themselves
productive work
CREW MEMBER (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 21, 2019
your work day starts off with leaving the hotel and riding in the work truck with all the other employees out to the field. Then you get everything unloaded from the truck and start your work day. Next at the end of the day you have to load everything back up and head back to the hotel.
poor management
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  greatfalls, mtJanuary 18, 2019
Decent company, traveled a lot around the country, picked your own crew, nice work trucks, superintendent would want the impossible done with less crew members
Pros
see the country
Cons
superintendents unfair
dead end job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 18, 2019
So I worked for osmose under the pg&e which was the only positive aspect of the job because being union wages were a bit higher, full health care benefits. But In california supervisors had no mangement what so ever. So we never where we would be next week. My year with osmose I travelled to Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Washington and Idaho. All trips with literally days before having to leave. And hard working employees have little to no chance of becoming Foreman. Me working under multiple contracts and then taking all the test and reaching out to different supervisors and calling Corperate I never was given a chance. Meanwhile unexperience, lazy, cheating hire ons go on 1 week boot camp and sent to foreman school. Then to top if off man I've work with 2 of those new foremans and they had no idea what they were doing after 4 weeks in peachtree georgia. I witnessed shallow digging full digs, not chipping poles thats have butt rot, not treating poles with MP 500 not inserting internal fume and not rejecting out poles that were in very bad shape. And living in a hotel was a nightmare supervisor would not have the hotel picked out and when we got the rooms they wouldn't have a refrigeator or mircowave because osmose didn't want to pay an extra $10. Horrible work experience. Just like everyone here I was trapped because I heard good pay and bonues. If you really think about it $15 an for having to work in the rain, cold weather like snow and having to dig up poles on a side of a cliff its not worth it. Trust me I experienced everything in osmose from finding a dead body on our line  more... to a pole falling down in seattle washington.  less
Pros
A job, benefits if working under a union
Cons
ALOT read my review if your considering this job
Hard work
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 14, 2019
Good company that you can work for however the layoff rate is high and it can happen at no notice. Learn a lot of skills in fast past outside environment
Nice job good pay
Treater (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 8, 2019
Its is a wonderful job to have you work around in different states it's like working n site seeing the world. I had a wonderful time working with this company get paid weekly
Pros
They pay for hotel you have to feed urself
Cons
Health care
Flexible workplace
Data Technician (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 6, 2019
Pay is good and work is easy enough for data technicians. Travel is required depending on the contract, if that is a deal breaker then the data technician role is not for you. Supervisors are always willing to pick their phone up and have never not done their part. Bonus pay can add up to $1-$15 extra an hour on your checks if the contract is easy enough and you work hard. I’ve chosen my hours from day 1 and have the opportunity to work 40+ hours every week.
Pros
Compensation, generous vehicle reimbursement pay, job freedom and security.
Cons
Weather, away from home, can be boring at times.
Great place to learn different types of inspections and remediations for steel towers
Corrosion inspector (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GAJanuary 5, 2019
I love working for osmose utilities. They treated me right and the work experience in different states is very important to know for future jobs in this field . Best part of the job is the traveling to different stats and expierence the work there.
Pros
Travelling, weekly pay, provided right tools, travel pay, prediam while traveling
Cons
On the road for 6 weeks sometimes more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Osmose Utilities Services Inc. Our community is ready to answer.