OSU Wexner Medical Center Employee Reviews

team oriented and fast paced
Medical Tech Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2018
2nd shift was always busy so from the moment I clocked in it was fast paced until end of shift. we were in charge of processing all microbiology specimens for testing . We received and processed all specimens, verifying they were collected and transported properly. We then had to prep them for further testing. A large part of my job was plating the specimens to the correct media and storing them in the proper incubators for growth and analysis. While here I learned how to work in a fast paced in environment while maintaining attention to detail.
benefits
Cons
lack of advancement
Job security with state benefits
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 22, 2018
Working at OSU has been an interesting change in my career. The salary is mediocre compared to private pharmacy chains, but the benefits are above average. Health benefits kick in at day1 and are very competitive, plus tuition is 100% covered for full-time employees. The flip side to that is you are expected to be an employee first, and a student second. I enjoy working with a team of pharmacists who are happy with their work. The down side is all the red tape associated with working for the state. Getting anything changed takes a very long time. Overall, I would recommend the position, as growth is possible.
Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic nonsense
Supportive team environment, good work life balance, but the compensation is poor and there isn't much opportunity for growth.
MAP Coordinator for Transplant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 14, 2018
There is a good work life balance, but not much opportunity for advancement. The team I currently work with is very supportive, but the compensation for my current position is poor. For the job that I am doing I should be paid much more. I'm a licensed independent social worker and I do not get paid for this license in my current position.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Compensation
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 19, 2018
Okay place to work but parking is a battle daily and you have to pay way too much for parking. They need to bring the price down for parking especially when it is so hard to find a parking space. The benefits are quite good especially if you are full-time. Good work culture and for the most part it is a pretty good place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Great place to work.
CHARGE NURSE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2018
Great place to work with many benefits and affordable premiums. I worked in the clinics and the hours were great. We did not work weekends or holidays. fabulous schedule when trying to raise a family.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Always busy. Did not always get breaks.
Review
ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY CARDIOVASCULAR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 26, 2018
OSU is a busy and stressful but with good benefits. Nice co-workers but management support are lacking. Great patient population and great hours. Lots of overtime available.
Lack of respect from management, and numerous Doctors.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2018
OSU is very political and too much red tape.

There are so many things that can be done to make it a better place to work. Simple things.

Too many bathrooms are dirty and covered with water from Somalis washing their feet in the sinks before they pray in the bathroom.

The Nursing Supervisors are amazing as well as the Nursing Staffing Office that go above and beyond to get us staff.

I have never worked with such hard working nursing staff in all my life, and it seems management is so quick to try to get them into corrective action.
Pros
pay, and benefits.
Cons
parking, too busy, rare to get breaks
Stressful but rewarding.
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 5, 2019
Great teamwork. A lot of wonderful and dedicated coworkers. A tremendous learning experience in all avenues. A lot of stressful situations, but also a lot of rewarding situations.
Pros
Benefits and pay increases.
Great management and benefits, but was stuck in the role with no career advancement.
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 16, 2018
Working the weekends and holidays started to make the benefits not worth the effort. Some employees were lazy and would take breaks/talk amongst each other when they should have been working.
Good working environment
Clinical Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2018
Staff is generally good to work with however being a large facility management can easily loose focus on your specific area/department and spend more time and money developing other areas. Great benefits and PTO.
Pros
Pto, benefits
Cons

Want to know more about OSU Wexner Medical Center?

Ask a question
Medical Center Security Dispatcher Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work, great benefits and time off. Central location and easy to get to. Parking can be an issue if you do not buy a good parking pass.
Pros
Pention
Cons
Parking
Enjoyed my time during employment with the OSU Medical Center
Revenue Cycle Specialist Senior- Lead/Biller (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
I learned and achieved more than I ever thought I would with OSU. While working underneath Management that pushed me to go for all I could and learn more than I needed as a daily job function inspired me even more so to learn several departmental functions, as well as leadership and Management/Director one on one reporting.
Pros
Education and Benefits
Very high stress in the call center
Patient Access Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OSU Wexner Medical Center Central SchedulingMarch 8, 2018
Scheduling in the call center is all about the numbers and how many calls you take and how fast you can get through the calls. Patient access is very bad therefore making it a rather embarassing position for a "Patient Access Coordinator" position. If management could adequately keep staff and provide a much better system for training new people this could be better. The management is not empathatic towards their employees. The Director of the depatment is non-existent ever in person or via email.....so not sure what this title is about.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No flexibility and poor management
Pass
Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 23, 2018
Working here is only worth it for the tuition benefits and the insurance. The job is demanding, the pay is decent, and the experience will last a lifetime. The equipment is pretty state-of-the-art.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance, management, staffing, turnover, parking costs
Positive environement, fast paced
Scheduling/Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2018
Great place to work, awesome benefits. Education benefit, flexible schedules. Opportunities for advancement. Parking situation is not the best. Unioninized.
Pros
cafeteria
Cons
Parking is not free
This place isn’t all that!! PERIOD
Supply Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 14, 2018
Everyone is so hung up on working here, well if you’re not a doctor or nurse, you’re NOTHING! these people treat you like dirt, rude work environment. My department keeps hiring lazy person after lazy person and it’s absolutely no teamwork. The management sucks, they spend more time trying to catch you doing something wrong instead of training us on the right thing we need to do. It’s a mess. We spend more time doing nothing then actually doing something. A lot of the management don’t know what they’re doing/or has let the title get to their heads, they can’t make the right calls for the department. It’s sad
Pros
You have a job!
Cons
Pay for parking, your bonus is taxed, hard to advance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2018
Good place to work with excellent benefits, but for ancillary employees, I believe the pay scale should have been more consistent with the cost of living.

Hard to advance in those positions or to increase base pay.

I loved my coworkers and management team, though! We had fun and worked hard!
OSU Culture
Program Coordinator/Manager - Nursing (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 18, 2017
There is definitely a culture of collaboration and advancement of knowledge that exists here. Very qualified staff, they value advancement and improvement of each individual. High accountability of all employees, with training and advancement opportunities abounding. Having the CEO's wife insist that the hospital be designed like an expensive boutique hotel was a mistake, it is so easy to get lost and not understand where you are or where you are going. They need to erect signs and be clearer rather than trying to be something they are not, which is a hospital.
Pros
Great management, great benefits, many opportunities.
Cons
Extremely expensive parking, require high level degrees yet do not pay to match.
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 18, 2018
Good benefits, high workload,. Parking expenses and union dues deceased take home pay.
Did provide good training and worked on developing better computer skills.
Educational Medical Institution setting high standards for excellence.
Staff Nurse II - Transplant Unit (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 9, 2018
A great hospital for Nurses!!
The OSU Transplant Unit has the reputation for urgent, collaborative, compassionate high standards care that is reflected in every care member of the unit from nursing to housekeeping.We have had the fortune to have Nursing managers who continue to love and participate in hands on Nursing care, and are fierce nurse and patient advocates.
OSU hospital offers Nurses many opportunities to advance in education and experience; certification in a specialty area is strongly encouraged once the nurse is oriented to a unit, and all nurses are strongly encouraged to seek higher staff levels (with compensation!) through a special program. Tuition reimbursement for nurses and family members is available. Nurses are expected to round with physicians on their patients, and are considered valuable members of the care team. All nurses are encouraged to participate in Unit and hospital committees--and their suggestions do make a difference and drive improvements in patient care!
Pros
A nursing Union, which is actually the Ohio States Nursing Association, that protects the interest of the patient by protecting the Nurses safety
Cons
The ever present tug of war between finances and staffing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSU Wexner Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight