OSU Wexner Medical Center Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Very good work environment and understanding managment
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 14, 2018
Working at The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center is a great experience. The people are all nice and they work with you to accommodate your needs. I highly recommend this company.
Excellent, fun and productive place to work
Clinical application analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2018
OSUWMC has been the best organization I've ever worked for. OSUWMC works hard to promote from within and the management I've worked for has promoted a balanced work/life culture from allowing us to flex time to working from home if no meetings are scheduled.
Great company and great advancement Oppurtunities
Business Manager 2 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 11, 2018
I would love to stay at OSU but need to move to IL for personal reasons.
I have learned a whole new set of skills and have management experience.
Have been promoted several times in my employment here.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Having to leave
review
Urology Oncology Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 7, 2018
My position is fast paced environment and a lot of multitasking which I like because it keeps me busy. I have two days of week for clinic where I see patients and get future test, labs, follow up appointments and surgeries scheduled. Management can be a sore spot because they seem helpful but then problems don't get solved that occur.
work environment
Cath Lab Technologist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2018
need to train there techs better with one trainee not 5 or 6.
didn't thank management cared for employees very good.
the hardest part of the job was being on call. the most enjoyable part of the job was all the patients I got to meet and help through out my time at OSU
Pros
great bennifits
Cons
managment
Over worked Under Payed
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2018
The management was poor. In my department there was little to no room for improvement. The works were not happy and the union did nothing to help. Some of the rules were of base and hard to follow.
Positive environement, fast paced
Scheduling/Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 28, 2018
Great place to work, awesome benefits. Education benefit, flexible schedules. Opportunities for advancement. Parking situation is not the best. Unioninized.
Pros
cafeteria
Cons
Parking is not free
Lack of respect from management, and numerous Doctors.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2018
OSU is very political and too much red tape.

There are so many things that can be done to make it a better place to work. Simple things.

Too many bathrooms are dirty and covered with water from Somalis washing their feet in the sinks before they pray in the bathroom.

The Nursing Supervisors are amazing as well as the Nursing Staffing Office that go above and beyond to get us staff.

I have never worked with such hard working nursing staff in all my life, and it seems management is so quick to try to get them into corrective action.
Pros
pay, and benefits.
Cons
parking, too busy, rare to get breaks
Pass
Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 23, 2018
Working here is only worth it for the tuition benefits and the insurance. The job is demanding, the pay is decent, and the experience will last a lifetime. The equipment is pretty state-of-the-art.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance, management, staffing, turnover, parking costs
No room for advancement once you reach top level of pay scale.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2018
I came in with over 30 years legal experience but had not worked for a medical center before. I learned a lot about the workings of a hospital and the associated issues. Our job was to represent the medical staff - doctors, nurses and others who treated patients when they were sued for malpractice. I maintained the 180-day notice files, I arranged depositions and deposition prep sessions, working closely with multiple attorneys and doctors/assistants. I managed calendars, travel arrangements, payment of invoices for medical experts, performed timekeeping tasks, answered phones, distributed mail. I drafted documents for signature, worked in a document management system WorlDox, prepared documents in PowerPoint and Adobe.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Lots of changes in management, kind of an upheaval.
n/a
Unit Clerical Associate, The Ross Heart Hospital (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 17, 2018
Issues w management from top down. Poor work culture - retaliation and vindictive culture. No top down communication. Subversive actions against entire departments. No pay increases by market indicators for years. Not able to communicate concerns without fear of retribution. Ongoing, very public lawsuits have cast pall over mgmt that was deemed by vote to be a 'no confidence" to Board. Nothing has changed - staff leaving in droves, and poor replacements with no ethics come in. Young, and stupid.

Read up on pending suits and who has already won. Huge ethical problems at OSU and the hospital system.
Making Life-Changing Differences
Director (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 16, 2018
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has provided me with the platform to help make life-changing differences in people’s lives as the Director of its Strategic Growth and Facility Operations for Ambulatory Services.

I’ve been able to find happiness and purpose in helping each member of our university and medical center team to create a positive patient experience, expand our available services and access to care into the community within Central Ohio, and ensure that our building operations are as efficient and accommodating as possible.

As a leader, I believe each person on a team needs to be held accountable without being micromanaged, but truly need to work hard. I recognize the value in hiring talented people and collaborating with them on projects that will most benefit from their unique skills.

My typical day involves simultaneously spinning the plates of preparing budgets, planning strategically, providing professional development, measuring performance metrics, and overseeing daily operations across our facilities, among other duties. A visitor could see me attending to a parking issue at one building, then later that day directing construction at another building before I head to a meeting to help design high-level growth strategy programs.

My most rewarding accomplishments at Ohio State have been:
- Gathering clear metrics to measure our success
- Aligning our team and facilities to provide greater access to care and get more patients back to the activities they enjoy
- Collaborating with experts from the university and medical center
Pros
"The" Ohio State University - Great Brand
Cons
Effective change takes too long.
Enjoyed my time during employment with the OSU Medical Center
Revenue Cycle Specialist Senior- Lead/Biller (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
I learned and achieved more than I ever thought I would with OSU. While working underneath Management that pushed me to go for all I could and learn more than I needed as a daily job function inspired me even more so to learn several departmental functions, as well as leadership and Management/Director one on one reporting.
Pros
Education and Benefits
loved my job
Medical Scheduler/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
loved my job. Worked with great doctors and staff in plastic surgery. Loved working with our patients and helping them with schedules and decisions they talked about
Problem was poor manager and treatment of employees
Pros
wonderful co-workers
Cons
bad management
Great entry level mangagment job
Patient Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhodes HallApril 26, 2018
Not always room to move up. Need a masters degree or a dietitian certificate to advance. Management differs on opinions of staff and tend to not always stick to their word
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2018
Good place to work with excellent benefits, but for ancillary employees, I believe the pay scale should have been more consistent with the cost of living.

Hard to advance in those positions or to increase base pay.

I loved my coworkers and management team, though! We had fun and worked hard!
Learned a lot
Office Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2018
OSU Wexner Medical Center has taught me a lot in the respect that it was my first experience working in the medical field. OSU has its own set of policies and procedures that must be followed. These guidelines are in place for a reason. But once you learn what these procedures are and what they are used for, things go a lot more smoothly. Everyone has a job to do and everyone fits into the puzzle for a reason. You may question it at first, but it makes sense once you learn how it all comes together.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Red Tape
Great Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 17, 2018
I loved my job at OSU. I enjoyed growing there and learning many new things that helped me in in career advancement. I would love to go back there and work again.
Pros
New projects all the time
Cons
n/a
Highly recommend working here.
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 16, 2018
Highly recommend working here. Great facility and equipment. Friendly coworkers. Convenient location. Great benefits. I liked knowing that I was helping people and making a difference in their lives.
unlimited possibilities
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 14, 2018
Multiple opportunities to broaden horizons. Just by nature of being a nurse, if you are bored with a certain area, other choices are unlimited. You can choose where you want to work, what speciality, how much you want to make, what hours to work. OSU gives you unlimited choices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OSU Wexner Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight