OTIS

3.7Pay & Benefits

OTIS insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Management is improving, Work Life balance in a pandemic

Great company to work for. Good benefits, health plan, vision, dental. Easy for time off and you can buy more vacation if you want. Lots of co-workers have been with the company for a long time, which is a good sign. Ideas are heard, but there are set standard ways to do things, but they aren't really written down. Standard processes need to be improved, but they are trying.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Work Load

Very Good Company

Very Good Company was able to learn from people around me. Also had good travel benefits and a good culture. Never regretted working there and would go back.

Working in the elevator industry has its up and downs

I feel lucky to work as a repair mechanic for Otis Elevator in San Jose. We have a strong diverse team that works together for the good of our craft. It’s a brother hood of Intelligent hard working men and women that have pride in our work, who respect the responsibility of providing safe public transportation. We are the underdogs, the un-sung hero’s behind the scenes insuring safe transportation, for free mostly!

Pros

Top paid tradesmen, early Fridays, excellent benefits, union membership, providing essential means of transportation for the public

Cons

Extremely dangerous, risk of electric shock, crushed by, struck by, caught in between, falls, strains/sprains/fractures/amputation, death.

Don't work here.

Advancement wasn't bad but the supervisors definitely play favorites. It's a very political place to work. They give all the overtime to their friends and none to you.

Benefits

customers don't come first

Mechanic for over 30 years, with all the technology out there now, there is no training . Too many layers of management and not enough field people to satisfy the customers needs. Best part of the job used to be feeling like you were part of a team. Now the best part is going home at the end of the day.

Pros

great union pay and benefits

Cons

management

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Good Compensation and Benefits, but that's it.

Extremely stressful place to work, and the overall morale didn't seem that high in my opinion. I also felt that the culture was not that healthy - not for me anyway. Great pay and benefits, but at what point is pay and benefits not worth it? There are only 24 hours in a day, and life is too short for something you don't enjoy. Was happy to leave.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

High stress culture

There is a lot of work to do and everyone is spread very thin.

I would have loved to continue working there but i was laid off. Pay was pretty good but there was so much work that it felt overwhelming at times.

My time at Otis Elevator

Otis Elevator is not a bad job to work as long as you’re hired on and aren’t a temp. If you are a temp you’re basically a nobody within the company. You don’t get vacation hours, pto hours, bonuses, holiday pay, 401 k, etc. It really is a slap in the face because you’re working hard if not harder then everyone else but don’t get the benefits as ppl that are hired on. Not to mention that in order to get rolled over , you have to have worked for 600+ hrs, and then apply for a position within the company and hope to get hired on. I’ve never worked a job where you have to do all of that to be considered for the company. Not to mention that if you’re working a line that is assembly 3 ( which is higher pay ) you won’t get paid for assembly 3 work until you’re hired on! Definitely not a place to stay or get comfortable at unless you’re hired on from jump. The management and supervisors suck but that’s with most companies. Go figure.

Pros

Pay is decent when you’re working 10 hr shifts, off on weekends

Cons

Bad management, no benefits/perks unless you’re hired on

Productive and fun

Otis was a decent place to work. ... Workload balance from employee to employee is way off. Expectations for some employees are impossible, and those employees seem to get the most criticism. Workload on other employees is too light, and they typically receive the most praise.

Decent company but large company

Otis was a decent place to work. Being under the umbrella of United Technologies, there was a very present feeling of being a small cog in a massive machine. I felt like I was part of a team at OtisLine, but it seemed like there was nothing beyond that.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Very little upward mobility

Terrible work life balance, unrealistic expectations, not enough support

Workplace culture is not good. Workload balance from employee to employee is way off. Expectations for some employees are impossible, and those employees seem to get the most criticism. Workload on other employees is too light, and they typically receive the most praise. The management at every level show way to much favoritism. The company was not this way in the past, this has been a recent development over the past few years.

Call IUEC ask when apps are being accepted.

Work-life balanceIt’s union IUEC international union of elevator constructors and was a four year apprenticeship but now it’s five. It has incredibleBenefits. Otis offered to pay any extra schooling I might want related to the trade and also gave me 50 a week for gas which was generous. Great company to work for great union but I got hit in a car accident and had bad vertigoAnd it seemed it wasn’t going away so I left thinking my chance was over .Pay & benefitsThere’s per diam pay and it’s based of the union hall in Glendora to where your job is it’s called zone pay and it’s a daily additional pay. Plus vacation pay if 6-8 percent twice a year if your hours worked time base pay. Like I said incredible benefitsJob security and advancementWork hard and become a higher position for higher pay. Three types of elevator work new construction , modification and service. Construction is all overtime is double time. But it’s harder.ManagementI only had good experiences with Otis I wish I never left but I was sickOverallOne of best paid jobs ..’cncmfmcmcmcmmcmfmfmfmmfmfmfmfmfdkfkfkfkfkfkfkfktktktktkggkgklfldmfmfmfmgrmffkfkkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkfkkkfkfkfkfkfkkfkfkfkfkfkf

Productive and fun workplace

Great workplace great benefits great teamwork and compatibility..i work great under pressure and always fulfill my bosses expectations.i always like to learn and can get a job done to the best of my ability

Corporate company with old school thinking.

Great product but a very corporate organization with limited company culture. Solid compensation and benefits but limited company culture. Good opportunity for career growth.

Amazing place of work

Without an education, this is without a doubt, the best thing you can do to make an honest living for yourself and your family. They pay extremely well and the benefits are unlike any other.

Pros

Pay, benefits, growth, overtime

Cons

Very physical and intense

Overall, good benefits, good pay, no work life balance.

This company is stuck in the past. The pay is good, benefits are good, but you trade that for an astronomical amount of stress. No matter your position, you will be incredibly stressed. Even the interns. If you are willing to trade money for poor work life balance, this is your place. You will gain money, but lose hair.

Free mind and no boundation

Its easy to work there because of caring and friendly staff. I learned to work with team without and problems. Its a good job of my life. No time boundation of work.

Pros

Free mind

Cons

Health care

Interesting and no bound work .

There is no boundation of work, i work freely over there but with the required process ... Sometimes i have to travel new city for desired work and Company will pay off all the expenses.

Pros

Free of mind

Cons

Health care

Productive and save place to work

Productive and a very good company to work for very clean and a safe environment.We all treat each other like family and always work together as a team.

Pros

Free lunch sometimes

Cons

Not enough time get your breakfast out cafeteria

Great gig if youre mechanically inclined

Great job. Great company. The benefits are great and the pay is great. If I didn't love fishing so much I would be doing it still. Anything after eight hours is double time

good

good work environment with a decent work flow not too much asked of you management could be better a lot of good benefits and discounts too companies all over the world

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OTIS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss
  • OTIS
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?