Ottawa University Employee Reviews

overall, good place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2018
These courses are 8 weeks long and I enjoy being an adjunct instructor because they incorporate feedback, give me a variety of classes to teach, do not OVER micromanage, and give teachers freedom to be creative in addition to following what is required.

The hardest part of the job is the low pay, considerably lower than other universities/community colleges.
Pros
Easy to work with, plenty of adjunct positions
Cons
limited room for advancement or full time teaching, lower pay than other colleges for adjunct instructors
At The University
Software Solutions Developer/Business Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSOctober 17, 2018
The university was a great place to learn and increase my knowledge in the business analytics field. This gave me time to study and grow in the field and industry.
Pros
Fun, Great Culture
Cons
Lacking Financial Growth
I enjoy being adjunct professor.
Adjunct Professor of Nursing Online Instruction (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, KansasOctober 15, 2018
I am adjunct professor for online instruction. Flexibility in scheduling is great and the online faculty are extremely supportive. I plan on remaining with Ottawa University.
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling.
Supportive Atmosphere for Teaching and Learning
Professor of Political Science (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KansasOctober 19, 2018
Faculty were respected and encouraged to work for the benefit of students. A broad-knowledge base was necessary to teach in the interdisciplinary-liberal arts program.
Over worked
Full- time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZAugust 28, 2018
Many people here are over worked. We have many jobs that we are responsible for that are full time jobs. No one here can be good at anything they do.
Not so much
Finance Advisor - Student Services Team (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 17, 2018
Toxic work environment, poor leadership, very high turnover, most co-workers are equally unhappy. Constant Policy changes without consulting with those it most affects.
Very Poor Leadership
Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSApril 16, 2016
Advice to Management: Focus on the community you have in front of you (e.g. students, faculty, and staff). Try to repair the mistrust and damage done to the faculty and staff still working for the university. Growing with your community, not at their expense is the only way forward.

Pros: Student. Resilient faculty and staff remaining after many resignations and RIFs. Beautiful campus. Untapped potential when it comes to rebuilding a truly Christ-centered community of grace.

Cons: The president and other senior leadership treat employees as expendable resources, not caring or seeing value in the community that our university once had. Numerous "early retirements" and "reductions in force" have soured morale to toxic levels. This organization only benefits the few at the very top and continues to squander precious resources in pursuit of prestige projects, such as the recently completed student union. Prestige projects like this have directly impacted decisions to initiate further "reductions in force."
Pros
Fantastic Students, Faculty, and Staff
Cons
Leadership
Taught Master Level classes in Art Therapy
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2018
Enjoyed teaching Master level Art Therapy classes for working adults. Enjoyed collaboration with head of Art Therapy program as well as students. Teaching is a passion.
Flexible
Volunteer Assistant Bowling Coach (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSMay 30, 2018
Help coach the Men's and Women's bowling team. Ottawa University has a very friendly culture and everyone is willing to help you out if you ever need it.
Work study
Work Study - Biology (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJune 20, 2018
Was biology work study. Learned a lot, loved my time in the lab, professors were helpful. Really recommend it to any biology major student at Ottawa University.
Ottawa University
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 7, 2017
Long days, fast paced, worth every second of helping this non profit university go forward to launch the Surprise campus in Az. The faculty, deans, courses, programs are second to none.
This is one excellent University, and being non profit there are enrollment criteria, one does not just get accepted. Additionally, the campus executive is excellent, and if you want the very best in leadership you can expect it here.
Hardest part is low pay. Not earning market rate for the expected work and stress.
Pros
Excellent Uuniversity, leadership, deans, faculty
Cons
Pay not market value
Men and Women Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSApril 4, 2017
Paper Filing, and Phone Calls
Details Matter
Maintain Stability
Hardest part was working with someone with an ego
Coaching my first NAIA National Finalist
Pros
Free Admissions into events
Cons
No benefits, no paid summers, Egos, Respect Level
Writing Tutors have free reign
Writing Center Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJanuary 30, 2018
You are only allowed to work less than 8 hours a week. This means that you will be getting paychecks of $80 every two weeks. This is not a good position for anyone who needs to pay student loans.
Good academic institution
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2018
Good academic institution. Small class size enabled good interaction with students. Materials were adequate and room was comfortable for learners and faculty.
Pros
Small class size
International Program is no longer operating
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJanuary 23, 2018
The International Program offered a Business Administration BA in Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong. That program ended in 2006. /////////////////////
Needs Improvement
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSJuly 20, 2017
Employees are often disregarded. The input of lower level employees is not utilized to assist in bigger projects. The employees are often over looked, yet they are expected to take on additional workload with no increase in pay.
Pros
Family Life balance, Great Employees
Cons
Poor Communication, Lack of Advancement Opportunites
Good
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSDecember 14, 2016
There is a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement.
This does not necessarily mean an increase in pay. The up management are paid above what those are paid at a comparable institution.
Great
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSSeptember 18, 2017
Provided analysis support to the Dean of Students, Director of Housing, and other housing professionals by developing policies and procedures for students who reside in the Residence halls, which resulted in their continued safety and understanding of all university policies
Pros
Room free
Cons
administration sometimes
Productive and helping students reach their goals
Finance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INNovember 2, 2012
Since our terms are 8 weeks, I have the same routine each day. I work very hard to make sure our student’s financial obligation has been met for the next term. It is usually met with financial aid, but our university also has students who use employer reimbursement and pay out of pocket for their tuition. In addition, I work closely with academic advisor to monitor the academic progress of our student.

I have learned several things about financial aid and employer reimbursement. Also, I have learned the academic portion of the university. Academic plays an important role in the student’s eligible for financial aid.

I work with a very diverse group of people and I think that gives us character.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with financial aid and not having enough diversity in my job position. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping students reach their academic goal.
Pros
easy drive to work
Cons
not enough staff, working hours
Christian orenited school
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INMay 15, 2014
Very quiet office. Everyone nice as a dysfunctional family normally is. Management and student advisor were about the only ones people felt they could talk to. Student's did not feel as if they could talk to Dean. Job was very fulfilling always learning something new. Absolutely loved job to point of crying when position was over.
Pros
long lunches if needed, willing to work with you on hrs.
Cons
dysfunctional family feeling at times