Otterbein SeniorLife (Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices)

Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices Employee Reviews

Fantastic Concept, terrible management
Elder Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHOctober 9, 2018
This is a very fast paced, busy environment which is what initially interested me. I didn't mind the job duties even though several of the other employees refused to do things like clean and do laundry, with nothing ever being said to them. The care that was provided by some was absolutely terrible, the house I worked in was filthy all of the time, management has no idea what they are doing and will say whatever they have to in order to get what they want. You know when the supervisor and administrator have to work shifts, that something is seriously wrong. It was preached about being a facility of integrity when they would lie to you any chance they got, schedules were constantly changed without warning or notice. Breaks on second and third shift were nonexistent for those that actually worked. Several people received complaints from residents and family alike about work ethic and nothing was ever done. Third shift in most of the houses is very slow, but next to impossible to work by yourself in house 15, there are several people that are two assists and on third shift you have no one to help you, so you're expected to have them wait until a nurse has free time to come help. I would not work here or put a loved on in this facility for any reason, unless it came under new management.
Cons
Rarely given breaks, mandating often, poor management
Nice balance of benefits & flexible hours
Culinary supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHOctober 8, 2018
2 weeks paid vacation after 1 year, 7 paid holidays, free employee meals,access to on site YMCA. indoor pool, exercise equipment, hot tub. Employees can request certain days off & still get 40 hours in since we work weekends. 401K plan & other benefits such as counseling for family members if needed through EPA that company pays for
Pros
Health & dental insurance, free employee meals
Cons
Must work some weekends & holidays
Four stars out of five
Elder Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Loveland, OHSeptember 19, 2018
My overall review of the company would be four stars out of five simple because I enjoy working there because I really get a chance to have a connection with the elders and also I can have time to relax.
Pros
Free meals and a break
Cons
Too far
Great concept, poor execution
STNA (Current Employee) –  Batavia, OHSeptember 19, 2018
Otterbein has a great concept. They are all about the liberation of older persons. The elders get to choose a lot of their own choices from when they want to wake up to what they want to eat. The work environment is very relaxed as in management will not hover over you. I enjoy the concept they are going for in this work environment but there are lots of cons. Firstly I agree with most other employee reviews and they expect you to do everything that a traditional setting would have other departments do. On top of the care, you have to cook, clean the kitchen and rooms, laundry, assist with activities, and do lots of charting. They tell you the patient to staff ratio is 5:1 with 2 aides in a house of 10 people, so I think the company thinks it gives you more time to do these other things. What they fail to realize is that there are times in which there are heavier patients that are 2 persons assist and that could be most of your house. From personal experience, that workload is just as overwhelming as having more patients. Plus the pay is really low for what they expect you to do. There is always lack of communication between the workers and leadership and it has been that way from the beginning. My biggest complaint is how they mandate shifts if someone doesn’t show up, or they leave holes in the schedule and just hope someone picks up the shift putting you in a situation in which they make you stay. This is a policy that was not made known to me during the hiring process. When a company tells you that you have to put your work life before your home life, that is a big issue  more... to me. Especially when they claim to be self scheduling but they just throw you on the schedule wherever your needed anyway usually, unless you ask for PTO. Overall I’m a conflicted worker. I love all of my patients and they make it worth it. But I’m sure there are better work conditions elsewhere.  less
Rewarding but sad
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 30, 2018
I loved to hear about residents' days and help them order their food, as well as give them someone to talk to. I learned many lessons while working here. However, there were many residents who were neglected attention from other staff members (a resident may ask for extra croutons or some ketchup packets and other members of wait staff would tell them we were out without checking). One part of the job that frustrated me was that we came under new management, and even though we had tried to help them understand how things worked, they wouldn't listen/didn't catch on and it caused many problems. Some of the staff in the kitchen weren't friendly and it caused some problems between the wait staff and the kitchen staff, as well as having a shortage of certain resources. Overall, the pay was nice and the atmosphere was generally welcoming. I just found it difficult to watch the residents and deal with management.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
Unwilling wait staff, unknowledgable management
Not a good place to work.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 24, 2018
Terrible leadership. Management knows less than workers. Nothing is done about Bullying and harassment. The pay is low and they have no respect for their employees. Lots of lying and back stabbing. They don’t take care of their employees or the residents. All they care about is making money.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Lying, Back Stabbing And Bullying
Nice place to begin a STNA career
STNA (Current Employee) –  Monclova, OHJuly 25, 2018
IT is a very laid back type of nursing home. Not like a traditional nursing home. You only have 5 residents to work with as there are 2 aides in each house and only 10 residents in the house
Pros
free meals
Cons
no breaks
Starts at the top
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJune 26, 2018
Great history and tradition. Beautiful area in Lebanon. Christian heritage. Generous donors and supporters over the years. Many facilities. Large senior provider.
Pros
Christian past
very bad experience Otterbein
grounds keeper (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHMay 8, 2018
I was in grounds and it was s bad experience. The head of ground was very back stabber and unfriendly. Very under-paid and over-worked.They don't pay for holidays off.Poor management

I wouldn't recommend this place for employment to anyone
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad management
Poor place to work
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Cridersville, OHMay 2, 2018
They have poor management that doesnt seem like they know what they are doing. They try to bully you into doing things you do not want to do. I felt it was more about the money than it was the residents. It is a very stress full place to work. They treat it more as a hotel than they do a nursing facility. Always very short staffed.
Pros
Residents
Cons
short breaks working 7 days or more in a row
Not a good place to work.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cridersville, OHApril 11, 2018
I worked there for a year and got treated horribly, I do not recommend this job to anyone. Management is not good and they do not take care of the residents like they should.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Horrible managment
Big Company
Groundskeeper, Laundry Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHApril 9, 2018
Rapid Growing Company, Enjoyed my jobs here, The pay just wasn't enough to make it on with a family. But overall a great place to be at if the pay was better
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Low Pay
Productive and nice place for employment
Elder Assistant (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHApril 5, 2018
I enjoy working with the elders and staff. This would ideal place for retirement residency. The management is caring and understanding. I would recommend Otterbein for residency.
Pros
Being able to cook and eat lunch with the elders
Cons
rarely get to take a lunch break
Little Room For Advancement
Wellness Aide (Current Employee) –  Pemberville, OHApril 3, 2018
I loved the residents at Otterbein, but the management was less than adequate. The pay was also not equal to the amount of work the job required. As a part time employee, I was not allowed to request days off for any reason. They do not accept any type of doctor note or anything else for calling off. I even got a point for calling off for a court date. they have a hard time keeping employees and it isn't hard to see why.
,very fast paced
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Pemberville, OHMarch 28, 2018
I love the interaction with the residents. I work better with little to no supervision so this was a good place for me with 3 dinning rooms chef couldn't over see each person everyday.
Just don't do it.
STNA (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Marblehead, OhioMarch 9, 2018
The place expect so much from one aide. It's impossible to give adequate patient care when you are expected to cool breakfast for every patient on demand, do laundry(collect, wash, dry, fold, put away), do the dishes after every meal(even though dietary brings lunch and dinner), empty every single trash can and take the trash out. One aide is literally expected to be dietary, housekeeping, and an aide. Plus don't forget to chart before the end of your shift! Oh and sweep/vacuum the floors! It's too much for one person. The patients deserve better. High turn around, always being mandated and not told till someone just doesn't show up. It's a joke. At a full house, you need more aides because of call lights, patient safety and patient care. Also never get your 30min lunch even though they deduct it. Management has no guidelines set on how many times an aide can be mandated, So be sure not to make any plans at all after work.
Pros
Free lunches, beautiful building, pager call system
Cons
Under staffed, No breaks, Mandation
Nursing home with a homey feel
STNA (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 24, 2018
It is very rewarding to work at Otterbein besides the pay they have all kinds of employee appreciation events and rewards. The staff was very helpful when needed you never felt on your own.
Otterbein
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 21, 2018
Otterbein was an okay place to work, management sucked but overall isn’t too bad. It’s good for high school kids to work there because of the hours! If you out in the work it’s a pretty good place with good pay.
Stressful place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 18, 2018
Its a great way to learn some life skills. Just always make sure you find someone to cover your shift. The elder people are super sweet and nice, but co-workers were rude.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Managment
great place to work
STNA (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 7, 2018
I have been in the healthcare field for a while and I want a place that I could make a difference in peoples lives and also a place where the administration listened to the employees for anything dealing with the care and well being of the Elderly this is the place.
Pros
just great place overall
Cons
if you can't cook it will be hard work. LOL

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices. Our community is ready to answer.