Otterbein SeniorLife (Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices)

Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices Employee Reviews

Rewarding but sad
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 30, 2018
I loved to hear about residents' days and help them order their food, as well as give them someone to talk to. I learned many lessons while working here. However, there were many residents who were neglected attention from other staff members (a resident may ask for extra croutons or some ketchup packets and other members of wait staff would tell them we were out without checking). One part of the job that frustrated me was that we came under new management, and even though we had tried to help them understand how things worked, they wouldn't listen/didn't catch on and it caused many problems. Some of the staff in the kitchen weren't friendly and it caused some problems between the wait staff and the kitchen staff, as well as having a shortage of certain resources. Overall, the pay was nice and the atmosphere was generally welcoming. I just found it difficult to watch the residents and deal with management.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
Unwilling wait staff, unknowledgable management
Nice balance of benefits & flexible hours
Culinary supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHOctober 8, 2018
2 weeks paid vacation after 1 year, 7 paid holidays, free employee meals,access to on site YMCA. indoor pool, exercise equipment, hot tub. Employees can request certain days off & still get 40 hours in since we work weekends. 401K plan & other benefits such as counseling for family members if needed through EPA that company pays for
Pros
Health & dental insurance, free employee meals
Cons
Must work some weekends & holidays
Great concept, poor execution
STNA (Current Employee) –  Batavia, OHSeptember 19, 2018
Otterbein has a great concept. They are all about the liberation of older persons. The elders get to choose a lot of their own choices from when they want to wake up to what they want to eat. The work environment is very relaxed as in management will not hover over you. I enjoy the concept they are going for in this work environment but there are lots of cons. Firstly I agree with most other employee reviews and they expect you to do everything that a traditional setting would have other departments do. On top of the care, you have to cook, clean the kitchen and rooms, laundry, assist with activities, and do lots of charting. They tell you the patient to staff ratio is 5:1 with 2 aides in a house of 10 people, so I think the company thinks it gives you more time to do these other things. What they fail to realize is that there are times in which there are heavier patients that are 2 persons assist and that could be most of your house. From personal experience, that workload is just as overwhelming as having more patients. Plus the pay is really low for what they expect you to do. There is always lack of communication between the workers and leadership and it has been that way from the beginning. My biggest complaint is how they mandate shifts if someone doesn’t show up, or they leave holes in the schedule and just hope someone picks up the shift putting you in a situation in which they make you stay. This is a policy that was not made known to me during the hiring process. When a company tells you that you have to put your work life before your home life, that is a big issue  more... to me. Especially when they claim to be self scheduling but they just throw you on the schedule wherever your needed anyway usually, unless you ask for PTO. Overall I’m a conflicted worker. I love all of my patients and they make it worth it. But I’m sure there are better work conditions elsewhere.  less
GOOD Management is needed!
STNA (Current Employee) –  Saint Marys, OHNovember 10, 2018
Otterbein St Mary's was an awesome place to work! It's not a secret the work force has lost its savor! Not like it is to be! It used to be a loving caring environment! Just like family!
But not now. The young come in not knowing how to take care of our elders! The older ones are burned out from it all.... Over and over dealing with call-offs and the young that are lacking respect and ethics.

I'm very sad because I have worked my last day there last night. I'm with a heavy heart because I cannot change that facts that I have mentioned! I'm an old fashioned aide and love to see respect and cleanliness for the residents!
Pros
Free and great food. Very nice facility compares to others.
Cons
No breaks. Patient ratio is not legal. Low pay.
Fantastic Concept, terrible management
Elder Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHOctober 9, 2018
This is a very fast paced, busy environment which is what initially interested me. I didn't mind the job duties even though several of the other employees refused to do things like clean and do laundry, with nothing ever being said to them. The care that was provided by some was absolutely terrible, the house I worked in was filthy all of the time, management has no idea what they are doing and will say whatever they have to in order to get what they want. You know when the supervisor and administrator have to work shifts, that something is seriously wrong. It was preached about being a facility of integrity when they would lie to you any chance they got, schedules were constantly changed without warning or notice. Breaks on second and third shift were nonexistent for those that actually worked. Several people received complaints from residents and family alike about work ethic and nothing was ever done. Third shift in most of the houses is very slow, but next to impossible to work by yourself in house 15, there are several people that are two assists and on third shift you have no one to help you, so you're expected to have them wait until a nurse has free time to come help. I would not work here or put a loved on in this facility for any reason, unless it came under new management.
Cons
Rarely given breaks, mandating often, poor management
Not a good place to work.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 24, 2018
Terrible leadership. Management knows less than workers. Nothing is done about Bullying and harassment. The pay is low and they have no respect for their employees. Lots of lying and back stabbing. They don’t take care of their employees or the residents. All they care about is making money.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Lying, Back Stabbing And Bullying
Low Pay and Poor Management
STNA (State Tested Nursing Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHOctober 27, 2018
The pay is very low compared to surrounding aide jobs. It's not a nursing home but you are required to take care of patients and do additional work. Mandation happens a lot due to people not showing up or lack or staff and they don't tell you that you're being mandated till it's time to leave and they just let you know that you have to stay. You're not allowed to leave the house once clocked in so no breaks or lunches off the property or even in your car.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, mandation
Just don't do it.
STNA (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Marblehead, OhioMarch 9, 2018
The place expect so much from one aide. It's impossible to give adequate patient care when you are expected to cool breakfast for every patient on demand, do laundry(collect, wash, dry, fold, put away), do the dishes after every meal(even though dietary brings lunch and dinner), empty every single trash can and take the trash out. One aide is literally expected to be dietary, housekeeping, and an aide. Plus don't forget to chart before the end of your shift! Oh and sweep/vacuum the floors! It's too much for one person. The patients deserve better. High turn around, always being mandated and not told till someone just doesn't show up. It's a joke. At a full house, you need more aides because of call lights, patient safety and patient care. Also never get your 30min lunch even though they deduct it. Management has no guidelines set on how many times an aide can be mandated, So be sure not to make any plans at all after work.
Pros
Free lunches, beautiful building, pager call system
Cons
Under staffed, No breaks, Mandation
Poor place to work
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Cridersville, OHMay 2, 2018
They have poor management that doesnt seem like they know what they are doing. They try to bully you into doing things you do not want to do. I felt it was more about the money than it was the residents. It is a very stress full place to work. They treat it more as a hotel than they do a nursing facility. Always very short staffed.
Pros
Residents
Cons
short breaks working 7 days or more in a row
Little Room For Advancement
Wellness Aide (Current Employee) –  Pemberville, OHApril 3, 2018
I loved the residents at Otterbein, but the management was less than adequate. The pay was also not equal to the amount of work the job required. As a part time employee, I was not allowed to request days off for any reason. They do not accept any type of doctor note or anything else for calling off. I even got a point for calling off for a court date. they have a hard time keeping employees and it isn't hard to see why.
very bad experience Otterbein
grounds keeper (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHMay 8, 2018
I was in grounds and it was s bad experience. The head of ground was very back stabber and unfriendly. Very under-paid and over-worked.They don't pay for holidays off.Poor management

I wouldn't recommend this place for employment to anyone
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad management
Otterbein is a great place
Refurb and Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHOctober 10, 2018
I would recommend Otterbein for employment or for bringing in family members for care. I believe the partners treat the residents as family members. It becomes very easy to become like family during your interactions.
Four stars out of five
Elder Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Loveland, OHSeptember 19, 2018
My overall review of the company would be four stars out of five simple because I enjoy working there because I really get a chance to have a connection with the elders and also I can have time to relax.
Pros
Free meals and a break
Cons
Too far
Productive and nice place for employment
Elder Assistant (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHApril 5, 2018
I enjoy working with the elders and staff. This would ideal place for retirement residency. The management is caring and understanding. I would recommend Otterbein for residency.
Pros
Being able to cook and eat lunch with the elders
Cons
rarely get to take a lunch break
Not a good place to work.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cridersville, OHApril 11, 2018
I worked there for a year and got treated horribly, I do not recommend this job to anyone. Management is not good and they do not take care of the residents like they should.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Horrible managment
Nice place to begin a STNA career
STNA (Current Employee) –  Monclova, OHJuly 25, 2018
IT is a very laid back type of nursing home. Not like a traditional nursing home. You only have 5 residents to work with as there are 2 aides in each house and only 10 residents in the house
Pros
free meals
Cons
no breaks
Otterbein
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 21, 2018
Otterbein was an okay place to work, management sucked but overall isn’t too bad. It’s good for high school kids to work there because of the hours! If you out in the work it’s a pretty good place with good pay.
Needs stronger management
Elder Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 10, 2017
This is a wonderful concept on paper but without strong, competent management you should look elsewhere. Most things are "self managing", meaning you are responsible for the management while the management does little to nothing. When problems arise there's always an excuse from management rather than taking charge and making it right.
Management bases their decisions on the fear of State being called.
Pay is very low considering everything you're expected to do in a shift. There are no shift differentials, incentive pay for covering open shifts, and raises only occur annually.
You don't work with a team, rather lazy coworkers that management will make excuses for time and time again. If you are looking for a job quickly, this is the place because management doesn't use much discretion when hiring, just a live body will do.
The residents are great, but be prepared to deal with management's favorites. You must drop everything to deal with the favorites, and often you're spending a majority of your time and efforts pleasing the favorites. Right or wrong, you are the hired help and expect to be treated as such.
Pros
Residents, small houses
Cons
No breaks, no shift differential, no incentive pay, disrespect, delusional management
Starts at the top
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJune 26, 2018
Great history and tradition. Beautiful area in Lebanon. Christian heritage. Generous donors and supporters over the years. Many facilities. Large senior provider.
Pros
Christian past
Horrible Pay Horrible benefits
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Marblehead, OHSeptember 7, 2017
Low wages, poor management, calls you every minute on days off to come in and cover, will give you a pay increase if you give up all your benefits including PTO, treats you very poorly , poor training, trust me, you don't want to work there. Also you don't get paid for your half hour lunch which is ok but you also can't leave the grounds on your lunch, even though they don't pay you.
Pros
Cons
Every thing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Otterbein Senior Lifestyle Choices. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about