Otterbein University Employee Reviews

I really enjoy this job.
Mail Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMarch 12, 2019
Otterbein is a very friendly place to work. I felt very welcome from the day I started. I learned to be more confident in my abilities. I am sad to leave.
Awesome people to work with. Lots of work to get done
Graduate Assistant Football Coach (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHJanuary 23, 2019
A typical work day starts at 6 am. It depends when it ends but in the season it goes until 7-8 pm. Out of season, they're easier, it'll end earlier than that like around 3 pm. Overall the people that work here are awesome, I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. However, there are lots of work that needs to be accomplished to be competitive.
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 18, 2018
I was very well utilized as a student assistant to the graduate school. Staff was helpful, manager/supervisors were understanding and friendly. Learned a lot while getting to show off some of the skills I'd developed as a student. Work study applicable
Great people
Student Orientation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 10, 2018
Always a fun time in the office and a great place for students to work that are trying to develop themselves. Leadership roles give great experience and even better mentors.
Collaborative and supportive work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 1, 2018
Otterbein is a collaborative and challenging work environment. Within my department, I have tho opportunity to work directly with our college students in academic coaching, counseling and tutoring services.
Pros
Tuition benefits
Cons
low pay
Good school
Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJune 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at my alma mater. Coaching and teaching young people was a pleasure. Quality people that were busy yet dedicated to track and cross country. Developed many connections and friendships during my time there.
Fun workplace
Library Circulation Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 23, 2018
I enjoy working here as it is a fun workplace. It is flexible around my schedule. I have learned better communication skills among co-workers and patrons from working here.
Fun and Easy
Lighting and Sound Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 5, 2018
It is a work study job that was easy and exactly what I needed with my busy school schedule. I got to work in the field that I want to professionally one day.
Some great people and a nice community
Executive Dir. of Org. Planning and Events (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMarch 25, 2018
Otterbein is a great place to work if you happen to get into one of the amazing departments or divisions. Unfortunately the divisions vary greatly. The current President is great, but is retiring soon. Anything can and will change with new leadership. Otterbein's overall feel is friendly and relaxed.
Pros
Some great people, friendly atmosphere, takes pride in community
Cons
Can be a little hierarchical
Willingness to work together
Assistant Controller (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 11, 2017
Otterbein employees across campus work well as a team towards a common goal. Students are the number one priority and departments work together to ensure the student experience is rewarding.
Pros
4 weeks vacation. Tuition benefits
Cons
Lack of pay increases
Typical day at work
Assistant Professor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 2, 2017
Usually grade papers or work online with students. Attend meetings when scheduled. Try to help other faculty if needed. I would be interested in continuing to work at Otterbein and teach while obtaining a position that offered flexibility.
minimal advancement opps due to long tenured staff and small job pool
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHOctober 18, 2017
Otterbein's a great school from an education standpoint and I'm happy to have worked there. Wasn't able to stay due to low salary and no chance of career advancement. As with most education institutions the hierarchy is very flat. Most employees had been in place for 10+ years, not a place to begin your career but a good one to end your career at.
Pros
strong community feeling
Cons
lack of career advancement
Ga spot
First Assistant Men's Lacrosse Coach (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 9, 2017
With being a GA comes lots of perks but also sucks at time. Full time student while being a full time employee with very low pay. Education is free, yes, but cannot even pay rent off salary offered.
Pros
education
Cons
pay
Fun place to teach
Pilates and Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 8, 2017
Teaching at Otterbein is fun because of the college students coming to the classes. The space is very big, allowing many people to fit. The studio isn't always the cleanest, but it is manageable. The coordinator is amazing and very understanding, which makes it an even better environment to work in.
Pros
Fun students
Cons
Not great pay
A typical day at work
Institutional Advancement Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 24, 2017
When I worked at Otterbein I completed a work study job. For me, this was great because I had never worked prior to this job. It allowed me to hold myself accountable and be responsible. It allowed me to create a good work ethic in order to be successful later in life.
A Worthwhile Experience
Macroeconomic Content Tutor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 9, 2017
The faculty and administrators were very helpful in my completion of a bachelor's degree. I learned the importance of time management and working hard in order to achieve your goals. While balancing school work with other campus and off-campus jobs were a challenge, the overall experience is something I would not trade for any experience at another institution.
Flexible with Students
Caller (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHMarch 23, 2017
Otterbein is obviously mainly for learning so school comes first. Sometimes it can be hard balancing when college students need money yet we get paid minimum wage.
Pros
layed back, federal work study
Cons
monthly payroll
Boring, but good.
English Department Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 18, 2016
The pay wasn't great, and it was boring, but it was a useful experience. Otterbein is super expensive for students though, and I think it's kind of a waste to go there, especially if you're a non-traditional student. Their departments aren't large enough to provide a wide-range of classes at different times, they don't offer many summer classes, and it costs $30,000 per year, and no one outside of central Ohio has ever heard of it.
top heavy managenent
Daytime Circulation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 5, 2016
Otterbein has changed it used to be a company who cared for it's staff but, staff are a dime a dozen. It's top heavy but wonders why it's in debt, First time it's ever owed money and it's building a new department. Which caused no raises for the second year. They have to spend our monies to make money. We hire new people but they don't last long. We have a slow hire plan so people mostly hourly staff are stuck with doing more the same pay. No overtime, comp time but needs to be used the same week. Fire at will, 3 people have disappeared and never heard from again. Bought out for sure. We're a small university. We do not air our problems in front of our students. Except for my close campus friends every hourly staff is in the same boat.
Pros
freedom, no one contantly watching me. Work at my own pace
Cons
pay, only 37.5 hours a week, hourly, nill chances of advancement w/o degree, poor moral, no raise for second year in a row
Great culture to work in, great resume builder
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHAugust 12, 2015
Working at any university is great. Otterbein is a private institution so you have a better chance to get to know the students and faculty. Great work culture, everyone is friendly and warm, and the possibility of promotion is great too!