OU Medicine Employee Reviews

Love working at OU Medical Center/Breast Health Network-Edmond
Billing Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 16, 2018
I absolutely love my job. Our #1 focus is customer satisification and making sure they are taken care of from the time they place their call to make an appointment to the time they leave our facility afterwards.
Pros
Great family atmosphere
Cons
Meditech is antiquated...would like to see OUMC get an updated system.
excellent CPE residency program
CPE Chaplain Residency Program (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 29, 2018
Provided a good educational program for clinical pastoral education; including classroom time and clinical hours
Provided opportunities to shadow and learn from staff chaplains
The hardest part of the job was the 12 hour shifts
I was able to formulate my role as a chaplain in the health care setting
If you want a boring and relaxing job its the job for you.
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 11, 2018
Honestly, working at OU was really relaxed and boring. The co-workers argue a lot and have drama going on every other day but as long as you stay with yourself its fine.
Pros
5 dollars for your break
Cons
so boring
August 28, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoy working at OU Medicine and like the relaxed environment within Food Services; however, we are sorry you feel bored at times. One of the great things about OU Medicine is that we offer many opportunities to further your career, so we encourage our employees who might be looking for something a little different to check out our other career opportunities. We want our employees to enjoy their jobs and feel like they are contributing to OU Medicine’s goal of providing top-notch healthcare to their community. You can learn more about available career opportunities by visiting https://tinyurl.com/oumcareers.

Horrible company to work for.
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2018
Hostile work environment. High turn over rate. Some units only had travelers, no permanent employees. Understaffed. High acuity patients with a high patient to nurse ratio. Antiquated computer system.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience working as a traveler at OU Medicine left a negative impression. Our organization prides itself on promoting the pillar goals of People, Quality, Service, Growth and Stewardship. A “hostile work environment” clearly doesn’t fit within those goals and we never want anyone to feel that way about their experience at OU Medicine.

According to our records, we have no departments made up of only travelers. We have a few departments with higher traveler RN numbers than others, but such departments are rare and certainly don’t represent the majority of departments at OU Medicine.

We are excited about the future of OU Medicine. Since we divested from HCA in February 2018 and became a non-profit healthcare organization, we have been granted the freedom to improve many of the issues you referred to in your review. It takes some time to improve systems and training, but we are confident that OU Medicine is on the right track.

Our employees are critical to the success of OU Medicine and our goal of leading healthcare in Oklahoma and nationally. We will continue to improve on equipping them with the tools and resources they need to be successful.

We wish you the best in your career.

It is a level one trauma center
CLS II for Transfusion Services (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 1, 2018
It is a level one trauma center so the work load is very high and demanding. It is a great place to learn and be exposed to diversity of clinical cases.
Great learning experience
Nurse Tech PRN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2018
Great team to work for an expand nursing career. Management is helpful as far as career decision making. Pediatrics is definitely a great field to begin a career in.
busy place
SR PATIENT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 27, 2018
It was a very busy place to work. Coworkers were fun but they had their clicks. It was a great place to learn and see different things being a teaching facility.
Pros
occassional food paid for
Cons
low pay
Great bunch of nurses
Advanced Unlicensed Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 26, 2018
I have no complaints about working with the nursing staff. I worked in the trauma impatient department as an advanced unlicensed assistant and they promote education big time.
Pros
Nursing team; education advancement
Cons
Pay
Easy work, awful management
Patient Registrar (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 22, 2018
Tried to deny my request off for military leave said I needed to do it on my day off but was unable to. Co-workers made job stessful as well as management. Fun to work with the patients though.
Pros
Fun and eventfull
Cons
Poorly managed
Positive work enviroment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
This was one of the very few hospitals where I worked that employees got along well and there was no talking behind the others back. We all worked as a team. One of my biggest regrets was quitting my job to work at another hospital. There was a high burn out in the trauma unit where I worked. I wish I had just transferred to another floor rather than quit.
Pros
Positive and rewarding place to work
Cons
High burn and short staffed
Highly challenging, rewarding place to work.
Clinical Manager Adult Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
High acuity, high volume, rewarding, stressful, and team spirit environment. Cutting edge procedures in an academic environment.
There is no tier compensation but there are multiple bonus opportunities for certificaitons.
Pros
Great 401K and PTO
Cons
Hourly wages.
Colleagues are great. Senior management needs work.
Director of Marketing and Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
Senior management talks a big talk about caring for its employees but when they are challenged they become defensive and retaliative. It's their way or no way. They want big ideas but are unwilling to provide adequate resources. Individual senior leaders are unwilling to see beyond the scope of their own areas of responsibility. The CEO is protected by yes people and does not have a clear picture of the company's real personnel issues. Human Resources is a joke.
The job force, physicians and front line personnel are phenomenal. They carry senior management. Middle managers must fend on their own.
Pros
Dedicated, passionate workforce
Cons
Senior management
July 26, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We agree with your assessment that OU Medicine has a dedicated, passionate workforce and that our employees are phenomenal. That passion is at the heart of what drives our organization to improve the lives of all people.

As for our senior management, we are sorry that you felt like you and other managers were left to fend on your own. Our CEO and senior leadership are heavily invested in the strategic planning for OU Medicine and are not usually involved in day-to-day personnel issues. We encourage our leaders to collaborate with their business partners regarding Human Resources related issues and potential solutions.

We are always looking for ways to evaluate and improve as an organization. As a result of our continued growth, OU Medicine faces new opportunities and challenges every day. Our leadership believes in the value of our employees’ voices and welcomes constructive feedback. We value your opinion as we strive to make OU Medicine not only a leader in patient care, but also the premier healthcare employer in Oklahoma.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We wish you personal and professional success in your future endeavors.

I was very pleased with my interview process and how quickley they got back to me.
Chaplain Aide (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 9, 2018
I was directly responsible for taking care of all first time and long time patients and their needs. From praying with the patients, to connecting with their doctors and nurses and building a rapport.
I was also in charge of assisting the patients and families with health care proxies and advance directives.
last I was responsible for getting patients that were brought into the trauma unit their belongings back as soon as possible.
Pros
I am very passionate about serving others and helping them in their time of needs.
Busy level one
OR Manager/Robotic surgery Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2018
Too much turnover, low incentives for advancement. Poor senior management who does not strive to build upon the many talented managers she has. great place to learn and then leave.
Surgery Center Nightmare
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Surgery CenterJune 29, 2018
I would advise any nurse applying to work at the Surgery center at OU Medical to steer clear of this place. High turn over due to vindictive management, work place bullying and lack of team work. It was the most demoralizing work environment I have ever had to work. The good employees leave and the poor employees stay and make it miserable for everyone.
Pros
Cons
Hostile environment
Good to work for
RN (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 28, 2018
Pay was great. My nurse manager was really good to work for. There are a lot of really good nurses working there who try to assist you. It does take some time to fit in.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Need a better bed bug protocol
Great workplace
Emergency Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKJune 21, 2018
The nurturing environment was my pro at this workplace. Everyone was really nice and always willing to help when you have question. It stayed busy most of the night. It depends on the day really.
Productive and Professional.
Regulatory Affairs Intern (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 21, 2018
OU Medicine is a great place to work. It has a helping hand culture with a mission to lead Health Care. Every day here is something new. That's what so great about OU Medicine. Each day we are taking more steps towards leading Health Care and advancing in treatments and cure with groundbreaking research.
Medical call center
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 20, 2018
Love the job. Management team was very helpful with employees. sometime stressful, dealing with outside facilities, People worked as a team. OU inpatient transfer was difficult due never enough beds for inpatient transfers
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
great recent changes occuring
RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 18, 2018
Love to see the changes that are happening and to be a part of something bigger than myself. Lots of new management and new building occurring. CEO seems to understand the issues. He has in depth knowledge of the problems and listens to staff and his management team to improve hospital. Good job!
Pros
discounted lunch. Dedicated staff that want to help people and each other.
Cons
lunch, breaks, and unexpected patient volumes...but this is normal for a large hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OU Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about