OU Medicine Employee Reviews

New Grad RN
RN (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 21, 2019
Great place to get experience. Outdated software and failure to upgrade equipment made this RN's job much more difficult. A senior nurse told me, "If you can work here, you can work anywhere."
February 28, 2019

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at OU Medicine. We are proud to be an academic teaching facility, as well as the premier healthcare facility in the state of Oklahoma. We believe in the importance of learning, both for new graduates and seasoned professionals, and we take pride in the fact that our colleagues receive valuable opportunities to interact with medical professionals and patients as they work to become the best health care providers possible.

As we continue to grow, we are working to upgrade our facilities across the organization: our new, state-of-the-art patient tower will be complete in 2020, renovations are in progress across the organization, and we are evaluating alternative EMR systems in order to provide improved workflows for our staff. We are additionally pursuing magnet recognition in order to create an environment that fosters not only development and satisfaction among nurses, but also positively influences patient care, safety and outcomes. All of these developments have impactful implications: we have the opportunity to care for more patients than ever before and improve the quality of life of not just our patients, but our staff as well.

Working as an nurse can be challenging, no matter what organization, facility or service line you support. We are thankful for our employees who meet that challenge on a daily basis to provide the best possible care to our patients at OU Medicine. We hope you will continue to gain valuable experience that will positively influence your career.

fGreat place to work along with great benefits
Monitor Tech/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKFebruary 7, 2019
Fast paced, always with a high census. This is a teaching hospital so lots of patients and doctors/nurses in training. Did both unit secretary and monitor tech jobs.
Pros
cafeteria
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced work environment
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 4, 2019
Can be difficult and stressful at times due to the Trauma Operating Room environment, but also satisfying if you enjoy helping people. Management could feel unhelpful at times because some problems never seemed to get rectified. There was little to no room for advancement for the position I was employed.
February 7, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. Working at OU Medicine can be fast-paced and sometimes stressful, but that’s often the nature of healthcare, especially when working in the state’s only Level One Trauma Center.

As a result of our continued growth, OU Medicine faces new opportunities and challenges every day. We believe in the value of our employees’ voices and welcome constructive feedback. We encourage our team members to make suggestions and recommend solutions to their leaders and HR Business Partners or our shared governance team.

As a large health care organization, there are many career opportunities available to internal employees across our organization. Above all, we want to make sure that our employees learn and succeed within OU Medicine. To achieve this, all managers and employees should talk freely and frequently about what opportunities will enable them to grow their abilities and meet their aspirations. We encourage employees who are seeking growth opportunities to visit our Talent Portal to learn more about additional roles that may be available at OU Medicine and apply for positions that align with their career interests and qualifications.

We wish you personal and professional success in your future endeavors.

Fun and great enviorment too work for
Reports to Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 31, 2019
A typical day at OU Medicine is wonderful. The staff is great and wonderful,even most of the patients are great. I've learned alot working at this hospital, it has put me in the career path that I am now pursuing, management is great and sticks too the MISSION that the hospital is known for which is being the number 1 hospital in the state of Oklahom.
excellent learning environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 24, 2019
OU provides opportunities for care and learning which are rare. All staff are focused on teaching and learning. Opportunity abounds for learning skills which will improve your practice for a lifetime.
January 29, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. OU Medicine takes pride in being an academic teaching facility, as well as a premier healthcare facility. We believe in the importance of learning, both for new graduates and seasoned professionals, and we take pride in the fact that our colleagues receive valuable opportunities to interact with medical professionals and patients as they work to become the best providers possible. At OU Medicine, there are many opportunities for nurses, physicians and staff to make a positive, lasting impact on the careers of healthcare professionals through an environment of mentorship, collaboration and education. We believe this collaboration better serves patients and the community, ensuring continued support and focus on the fundamental missions of teaching and research.

Thank you for sharing about this important aspect of working at OU Medicine. We wish you the best and hope that OU Medicine has positively influenced your career.

Great place
Cook ll (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKJanuary 17, 2019
Will work there again. Great place paid holidays great food. Wonderful benefits. Great environment to grow with the company and the pay is awesome!!!!
Great oppurtunities
Travel Nurse Contract (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2019
OU provides lots of different opportunities for their nurses to advance quickly in their career. Hospital could use some updates and the computer system is a little outdated.
January 21, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you feel there are opportunities for professional growth at OU Medicine. As Oklahoma’s most comprehensive academic medical center, we are proud to offer additional learning opportunities to our nurses, such as certification courses and specialized training. We believe that in order to be a leader in healthcare, we must provide high quality clinical education programs for all levels of learners.

We are excited about what is on the horizon for OU Medicine: construction is continuing on our new patient tower, which will be completed in 2020; we are currently evaluating electronic medical record (EMR) systems in order to provide better service to our patients and healthcare providers; and we have many other projects underway. We believe the future is bright at OU Medicine and we anticipate continued growth and improved service to our community.

Again, thank you for your kind review. We wish you personal and professional success in your future endeavors.

Poor Management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 10, 2019
If you need to go to OU human resources, good luck with that. My manager was spreading rumors about me to the whole building. Very unprofessional and embarrassing way of running a business. Managers should never spread lies about their employees.
January 17, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We are sorry your work experience at OU Medicine left a negative impression on you. Our organization prides itself on promoting the pillar goals of People, Quality, Service, Growth and Stewardship. The environment which you described clearly doesn’t fit within those goals or within our Excel standard of professionalism and we never want anyone to feel that way about their experience at OU Medicine. We encourage our leaders and staff to report any issues or concerns they may have by utilizing their chain of command, contacting their HR Business Partner or utilizing our Ethics & Compliance Hotline.

As a result of our continued growth, OU Medicine faces new opportunities and challenges every day. Our leadership believes in the value of our employees’ voices and welcomes constructive feedback. We value your opinion as we strive to make OU Medicine not only a leader in patient care, but also the premier healthcare employer in Oklahoma.

We wish you the best in your career.

Stressful and overworked work environment
Care Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 4, 2019
Salary was low, and the workload was very demanding and high for a care team associate. There were more than one occasion where I was in charge of taking care of 25 plus patients. This was concerning for safety, not only for myself but also for the patients. Nurses were helpful, but they were also overworked.
Great workplace overall
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 29, 2018
I really enjoyed this job it was fast paced, which I love, and my supervisors were amazing. Would definitely recommend this job to a friend or a relative if they inquired.
January 9, 2019

Thank you for your kind review. Working at OU Medicine is often fast-paced and sometimes stressful, but that’s often the nature of healthcare. We are encouraged by your praise for your supervisors and appreciate your willingness to recommend OU Medicine to friends and relatives. Thank you for helping make OU Medicine a premier enterprise for advancing medical care, education and research in Oklahoma.

Excellent teaching hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 22, 2018
In my years at OU Medical Center I definitely grew as a nurse and as a person. It was extremely fast paced and I improved on my decision making and prioritization skills. The nurses always worked as a team and helped each other whenever it was needed.
Pros
Self scheduling
Cons
Little or no time for lunch break
Summary
PRN Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKOctober 17, 2018
OU Edmond was a great place to work, everyone was welcoming, there was a specific training program in place for new employees to help ease into the workflow. Doctors were friendly and understanding.
Pros
competitive pay especially for PRN
Cons
no benefits for PRN/Part time as is the case most places.
Growth
Sr. Clinic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 9, 2018
OU is an excellent organization and has allowed me the opportunity to grow over the last 7yrs I've been with them. Our clinics provide quality healthcare to wonder patients throughout the state of Oklahoma.
Pros
1 stop shop for all primary and specialtiy care needs.
Cons
Campus mainly know for downtown clinics but we have several sites in the community
Excellent experience
Staff Nurse in the PICU (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 9, 2018
The PICU was a high intensity work place with many complex cases. The resiliency of children is amazing and this is a wonderful place to witness the hand of God and the blessing of medical science. The caregivers are first rate (from non-licensed to physician) and there is wonderful camaraderie.
Great job
Patient Access Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 3, 2018
Work at OU can get pretty repetitive. I worked in the Children's ER and OB mainly in registration. As a registrar, you must verify insurance and collect copays as well as check patients in and out.
Pros
Big company, good insurance
Cons
Hectic at times
Love working at OU Medical Center/Breast Health Network-Edmond
Billing Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 16, 2018
I absolutely love my job. Our #1 focus is customer satisification and making sure they are taken care of from the time they place their call to make an appointment to the time they leave our facility afterwards.
Pros
Great family atmosphere
Cons
Meditech is antiquated...would like to see OUMC get an updated system.
OU Medicine is a wonderful place to work and I thoroughly enjoyed the people I worked with.
Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 7, 2018
Working for OU Medicine was incredibly fulfilling. While the compensation was not as good as I may have liked, the staff and management made the lack of pay worth it for the time I was there.
excellent CPE residency program
CPE Chaplain Residency Program (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 29, 2018
Provided a good educational program for clinical pastoral education; including classroom time and clinical hours
Provided opportunities to shadow and learn from staff chaplains
The hardest part of the job was the 12 hour shifts
I was able to formulate my role as a chaplain in the health care setting
If you want a boring and relaxing job its the job for you.
Food service worker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 11, 2018
Honestly, working at OU was really relaxed and boring. The co-workers argue a lot and have drama going on every other day but as long as you stay with yourself its fine.
Pros
5 dollars for your break
Cons
so boring
August 28, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoy working at OU Medicine and like the relaxed environment within Food Services; however, we are sorry you feel bored at times. One of the great things about OU Medicine is that we offer many opportunities to further your career, so we encourage our employees who might be looking for something a little different to check out our other career opportunities. We want our employees to enjoy their jobs and feel like they are contributing to OU Medicine’s goal of providing top-notch healthcare to their community. You can learn more about available career opportunities by visiting https://tinyurl.com/oumcareers.

Horrible company to work for.
Travel RN (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 2, 2018
Hostile work environment. High turn over rate. Some units only had travelers, no permanent employees. Understaffed. High acuity patients with a high patient to nurse ratio. Antiquated computer system.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience working as a traveler at OU Medicine left a negative impression. Our organization prides itself on promoting the pillar goals of People, Quality, Service, Growth and Stewardship. A “hostile work environment” clearly doesn’t fit within those goals and we never want anyone to feel that way about their experience at OU Medicine.

According to our records, we have no departments made up of only travelers. We have a few departments with higher traveler RN numbers than others, but such departments are rare and certainly don’t represent the majority of departments at OU Medicine.

We are excited about the future of OU Medicine. Since we divested from HCA in February 2018 and became a non-profit healthcare organization, we have been granted the freedom to improve many of the issues you referred to in your review. It takes some time to improve systems and training, but we are confident that OU Medicine is on the right track.

Our employees are critical to the success of OU Medicine and our goal of leading healthcare in Oklahoma and nationally. We will continue to improve on equipping them with the tools and resources they need to be successful.

We wish you the best in your career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OU Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

OU Medicine Reviews by Location