Outback Steakhouse Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
51.6K
41.5K
Found 4,004 reviews matching the search See all 4,633 reviews
Productive and fun place to work
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAOctober 14, 2018
A typical day at work was fast-paced between helping your tables and running out food for your other coworkers. There were also times where the servers had to help out the take out. Good staff and management. hardest part was keeping up with the demand and most enjoyable was hanging out after work watching sports in the bar.
Nice people, not the best pay
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 14, 2018
I worked at Outback for about half a year as a hostess. We were paid like servers because we got tip share. In all, I don’t particularly agree with their payment structure. Servers struggled with tips as it was, so I didn’t really find it fair for them to have to tip out. Overall, management was kind of off.
I’m not sure if all of these examples were due to the location of the restaurant or what, but I would definitely recommend working somewhere else if you have a lot of bills to pay.
Nonetheless, my coworkers were extremely nice.
Pros
Can be fun
Cons
Not the best pay in terms of people tipping
20 year Outbacker
Chef (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 13, 2018
Terrible care of long term employees. Management doesn't care about hourly employees and promotes underqualified personal over more experienced ling term employees
Outback
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 13, 2018
Its my first restaurant job, and job working with sales for that matter. no matter how stressful it is, I always want to push for more, push for better.
Pros
50% off food, career advancement
Cons
no benefits
Training was complete and salary was adequate.
Server (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAOctober 13, 2018
I really wasn't there long enough to give an accurate review of this company. The initial training was complete and the salary was adequate. There isn't much to tell, I was a server, there was little interaction with management and little interaction with the other servers. It was always very busy.
Pros
complete training and adequate salary
Cons
on your feet constantly
nice environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 13, 2018
Outback was a great employer. There is some room for advancement within the restaurant itself. The hours are great and the tips are consistent with other restaurants.
Strong family atmosphere
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 12, 2018
I love meeting new people every day and learn new things everyday whether its patience or how to make something. Also leaning new things about people that I work with is always nice. The hardest part of the job is when a staff member is no longer happy or involved like they were and fixing that issues without being upset or frustrated.
Pros
People I work with.
Cons
Hearing customer sad stories being that we are next to hospital
Great place to work!
Server (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKOctober 12, 2018
Outback Steakhouse is a fantastic company to work alongside. Collaborative teamwork efforts apply in every job category in the restaurant and the overall atmosphere is very positive and energetic.
Love my coworkers love being around people we had competition who salea rhe most steaks ovall all great experience
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 10, 2018
It's a very good polite locals reliable I'm people person love to learn and listen like the environment I appreciate outback for giving me opportunity to futher my career in the restaurant business
Pros
50 % off food good environment
Cons
Position area
team work has declined
Server, Bartender, Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Arcadia, CAOctober 10, 2018
It used to be a fun place, but has declined greatly in leadership, staff, and overall a good place to work. Many changes from corporate have forced the customer experience to be underwhelming and treat guests like herd.
Productive work environment
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAOctober 10, 2018
Love working for outback. Great coworkers love serving our community as well as surrounding communities. Love getting to no our guests on a personal level.
Pros
Make money
Cons
Late nights
Easy
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 9, 2018
It was a job that I needed at the time i acceled at it and decided that sales was a career that i was intended for. The wages were not enough to sustain a family
Not worth it
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2018
Working as a cook at Outback was beneficial at the time I needed a job, but the pay wasn't worth the stress attached to it. Dealing with certain managers that thought they were better than everyone also wasn't worth it.
Pros
A stable job.
Cons
Don't pay a living wage even for the highest position cook.
accountability
front of house manager (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 8, 2018
it could always be better when it comes to job. holding people accountable for their actions is the key to success. if this was in place the store would run a lot smoother.
Pros
fun work place
Cons
the call outs
Great part time job
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 8, 2018
its a great part time job, but if you want to do any moving forward expect a pay cut. That is the only thing that held me back. They also have changed a lot of aspects of my job making it harder to preform resulting in less money and more stress.
The most enjoyable and hardest part of the job is the customers.
Workplace can be very laid back, or very stressful, depends on the day and time.
Pros
Discount, Great management team when communicating properly
Cons
lazy co-workers, Poor communication
It was something
Student intern (Former Employee) –  Foothill Ranch, CAOctober 8, 2018
I admit it wasn't bad. All I had to do was fold silverware into napkins and wipe down tables. But I wouldn't call it a real job. I think I need a Real one.
Horrible
Hostess/Takeout/Server (Former Employee) –  Inverness, FLOctober 7, 2018
Poor managers. Mean coworkers. No money. All stress. No one cares about anything except drama. Not worth the time or energy for nothing in return. No room for advancement.
great company
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 7, 2018
a great place to work and advance in your career, great training and atmosphere. excellent benefits and great team work. Serving recurring guest is a great feeling.
Pros
excellent work enviroment
Cons
short staff
My favorite place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 6, 2018
Though waitressing is stressful, fast paced, and often faced with difficult customers, the new proprietor and management team put hard focus into strengthening their servers' well being, knowing it will translate to customers.

Management is caring of server's personal lives. I started a new relationship branding strategy, and though they couldn't give me a raise, I was recognized at an Outback Rebranding meeting and given a $20 bill from the manager's own wallet as well as hearty recognition.

Servers with new ideas to help the restaurant are quickly promoted. Those unhappy in their positions or had a hard day are usually compensated or repositioned.
Pros
Great management, easy hours, teamwork, fun, energetic
Cons
Low compensation, shorter hours, fast paced
An ok place to work
KEY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 6, 2018
It's a restaurant... just like any other restaurant. There are great people to work with. There are terrible people to work with. The management at my particular store was just ok, which made working there ok.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Outback Steakhouse. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss