Ovation Brands Employee Reviews

The company had too many organizational changes during the past 5 years
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 24, 2018
With all the changes in ownership the Industry challenges and the lack of dedicated Leaders throughout the Organization the Brand lost its Identity and stronghold in the Industry. Always trying to change a great concept does not make it sustainable, therefore causing consumer confusion and lack of loyalty to the brand in turn causing the fall of the company.
Very fast paste work place must be able to keep up
Lineserver (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 19, 2018
Very laboring and fast paste must be able to keep up with time and you must have the ability to learn quick as the Manager at the Burbank, CA branch once stated "Either you shape up or ship out".
Must be able to handle fussy customers and meeting their demands.
Pros
Flexible work days
Cons
NO free meals
It was a great company to work for at one time
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 19, 2018
It was a good company to work for before they closed all the locations in Philadelphia. The company went in the wrong direction which caused it's financial problems.
Pros
good bonus structure
Cons
several chapter 13
Fine till management changed.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 6, 2018
Minor pay that balanced out in number of hours worked. The work load could be overwhelming especially when working alone and the machine stopped working, but luckily management insisted on having two of us dishwasher working at any given time.

Then another store closed down at another location and the senior staff at our was slowly moved out for slower, lazier, and incompetent staff. The managers had us working alone and the work load became unbearable leading to many cooks, waitresses and dishwashers leaving, almost quitting on the spot.
Pros
Decent pay balanced out with hours, no contact with customers. .
Cons
Management, lazy coworkers, solo work load
Cut labor was the corporate montra.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2017
15 years can only remember 3 times having been given a compliment for the work I do. Closed store without notice. I closed on a wed. night. Sign on door next morning, "Pick up your final check at 2 PM. Very Cold!
Cons
No corp culture towards employees at the store level
Company no longer exists
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Seymour, INJune 11, 2017
Unable to say much as this company no longer exists after filing bankruptcy in 2016. Area directors were spread much too thin over more than 10 stores and several states
End of contract
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 21, 2017
My contract was ended early here as well. I had been there a year and at the end management came to me and said they were going to outsource my job to India. Within a week there was a team from India standing at my desk and Ovation wanted me to train them to do my job. Thid was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do and I felt it was a real unethical thing to do to an employee who had given 200% for a year.
Fast pace
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILOctober 3, 2016
I felt dedicated to the tight knit group of employees and management within the first couple of weeks as a cashier at old country buffet. After a few months with little to do at the register i was attracted to the faster pace jobs like serving and moving into the back of the house position, such as line serving and cooking.
As a cashier I learned how to jump from slow early mornings into the bustling overflowing brunch crowd. I learned how to efficiently and correctly ring in their order under the high stress of ringing in the overflow of guests who are trying to get in before switching to the lunch items and prices.
Any other position available in the restaurant requires a greater amount of efficiency and origination. These positions include serving, line service, line cook, and prep cook. While non of these jobs being very difficult as far as understanding or learning they require you to move quickly, keep your area clean, and all the while providing hospitable service for the quests.
The managers at Old Country Buffet are picked very thoroughly by the Area Directors and go through and extensive amount of training before they are put in their store. Working in a training store I got to meet a large variety of mostly very dedicated hard working managers from all over the US.
The hardest part about any one of these jobs is when you had to work with the few employees who were not as dedicated or hard working as the others. They moved at slow paces and required a lot of assistance from other employees or management that could have been used elsewhere.
Great job to work and gives you lots of experiance
Manager (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 6, 2016
Ovation brands is where you can harness your skills in the food industry while taking care of the guest. At the same time you learn a lot of things other restaurant don't have.
Pros
great people, great guest
Cons
n/a
Over worked 55-60 hrs a week not compisated,Looking into contacting labor board
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTMarch 26, 2016
After 15 years with the company they closed the doors without any notice.Being part of the management team was offered no relocation oppurtunity,no severice was just kicked out in the cold.company has no future.Filled for bankrupcy 4 times in the 15 years I worked there.Working 20hrs in 26hrs
Pros
zero
Cons
pay was never on time
Not a good recommendation
Baker (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOMarch 17, 2016
After getting almost out of debt, the doors were locked and I was unemployed, without any warning, consideration, or even a thank you. Now, still looking for a job and in a deeper debt, have to thank this greedy inconsiderate group for that. No benefits, working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years required without holiday pay, without a party, nothing.
Pros
Cons
No Job security, no benefits, etc, no raises
I miss that job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Payne, ALMarch 16, 2016
Working cashier wasn't great because you stood there but we had awesome bosses! All employee's were like a big family! Pay was ok. I loved being able to meet people from all over. The kids nights were the best EVER!
Pros
1/2 price food
Cons
standing
Bankrupt
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 9, 2016
I worked as a General Manager. This company just cut over 200 stores and went Bankrupt, not a secure future. I would not recommend working for this company, what's left of it.
Fast paced work environment
HR Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 26, 2016
A typical day involves responding to incoming phone calls and e-mails while processing payroll related inquiries. I enjoy working with my co-workers as a team
New ownership group closing multiple locations
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaFebruary 19, 2016
New ownership closed nearly a third of the company. No notice given to the managers or staff they just locked the doors and fired everyone. No communication and no heart.
It was a good place to work until the sale
Marketing Assistant/Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCNovember 16, 2015
The work environment in general was great until Ovation Brands was sold back in August of 2015. After the vast majority of corporate employees were laid off the atmosphere around the office became very negative and hostile.
Major changes
Director (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 16, 2015
Ovation Brands was a good place to work prior to being acquired by Food Management Partners on August 19, 2015. Without notice, severance or placement assistance FMP eliminated roughly 40% of corporate level positions on the date of acquisition. Understanding the nature of acquisitions and that the reduction in workforce was most likely essential, the manner in which they chose to carried out this transaction lacked character and respect to the existing professionals at Ovation Brands. I am honestly glad not to be part this organization going forward given how they treated their acquired professionals and am learning that this is not the first time they have operated in this manner related to an acquisition.
Pros
Cons
Benefits are bad to non-existent, corporate environment is poor
Love this place
NETWORK TECHNICIAN III (Former Employee) –  nationwideNovember 11, 2015
They kept me very busy... Pay was decent... hours were decent.. quick turn around on expense reimbursements.. Employers took care of any issues that tech may run into.
Pros
travel
Cons
short projects
Ovation Brands has been sold to FMP August 19,2015
KITCHEN MANAGER (Current Employee) –  SOUTH CAROLINAOctober 21, 2015
Ovation brands sold the company to Food managing partners in June on August 19th,2015 the new owners took over eliminated two thousand positions with a VOICE MESSAGE.

Managers work 55 plus hours a week with NO BREAKS and work in Positions while running shifts, If you are a woman this is not the company for you. The area directors are all men who many of them false statements on labor and are bullies.

general manager make 65, 000 in south Carolina, kitchen manager make 55, and front of house makes 44.

open on Christmas, easter, thanksgiving, and the general manager mostly is never around.

They are closing 52 more restaurants this year, they just closed Martinsburg, WV, and Chambersburg, PA, on Monday closing at night with no concern for the team.
Out dated concept. Guest complain daily about pricing.
GM (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILOctober 3, 2015
Tough concept to execute to a guest satisfaction. All these coperate reviews show the out of touch with the real world they really are. High cost of business with all the lets kill this place clients. Poorly low labor standards to off set all the over eating patrons. No appeal to bring new guest as the loyal are dying off...
Pros
Closes at 9 or 10pm
Cons
Average benefits in comparison