Owens & Minor Employee Reviews

Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 8, 2019
A Typical day at Owens & Minor consist of either using a Voice Picker and RF Scanner/Gun to pick customer orders on Stand Up Picker or Pick or orders off the racks on the line. I learned the ins and outs of picking orders using the RF Scanner and Voice Pick while working at a fast pace. Management were incredible communicators who understood the importance of employee feedback, and were contemplative of our suggestions. The culture at Owens & Minor was pretty good. The hardest part of the job was the long hours some nights and sometimes. I Enjoyed my experience at the company.
Pros
Awesome Benefits and Communication
Cons
No set finish time, you get off when only when all orders are completed
Stagnant Company With Little To No Opportunity / Lower Salaries Compared To Competitiors
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VANovember 23, 2018
Company Is On Its Last Leg / Little To No Direction In Company / Senior & Middle Management Positions Filled By Individuals With Little To No Experience in Healthcare / Outdated Processes and IT Infrastructure / Little To No Cold Chain Distribution Capability To Service Customers / Company Mission is Vague & Changes Every Six Months / HR Department Heavily Focused On Sexual Orientation Presentations at Expense of General Business / LGBT Pride Posters plastered on ALL floors of corporate office as well as Elevators / Corporate Office frequently hosts Corporately-Sponsored Guest speakers to Promote Adolescent Homosexuality / Revolving Door In Several Departmental Areas Including Marketing, Category Management, & Sales / No Mobile Phones Provided to Middle or Senior Management Personnel and No Compensation For Mobile Phone Business Expenses. Avoid Working For This Company!
Cons
Terrible Vacation Policy / No Reimbursement For Mobile Phone Expenses
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 11, 2018
I enjoyed working at O&M and I wouldn't mind going back to work there. Great working environment and good opportunities to move up within the company. My managers were great and liked to promote within. I learned how to be a better supervisor and leader. The workplace culture was great and there were times when we felt like family. I enjoyed the safety meals, every time we went 90 day's without an injury we would have a meal paid for by corporate. The hardest part about the job was leaving it.
Pros
Comparable benefits and upward mobility.
Cons
It's kind of like any other corporation.
Lousy unrewarding place to work at
Warehouse/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAAugust 30, 2018
This company used to be a pretty good company to work for. In the past 4-6 years they have decided that the more efficiently their workers work, regardless if many if not most people work differently, they will stringently put their workers between a rock and a hard place, while favoring only a few and those who are young enough and mentally strong enough to survive in the name of meeting their hospital supplies needs, and in fact abusing the basic need for their workers to thrive in a balanced environment, and using "time study" tactics to basically demoralize their workforce while increasing their profits in an extremely unfair way.
Pros
A paycheck with only 2per cent raises
Cons
Running your workers into the ground
Not a bad place to work if you are young, free and have nothing else doing!!!
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sunrise, FLSeptember 17, 2018
I have been working at this company for sometime (more than 2 and a half years) and i have a family but with this job you work long hours and get off late because of overtime and some people not pulling their weight. start work at 9 and getting off at 6:30 is considered early which is weird (was told i would do a LITTLE overtime on interview, lie!!) because of this i get home late at nights when my son ie either in bed or almost there and i'm super tired and the pay doesn't even make up for it, smh i was held at a higher standard than those that came after me and i excelled at everything but not having time for myself and my family just make this place not ideal. as i said if you are young and just need some cash to party then go ahead you will fit right in, a family oriented type....skip this place!

overall job is easy, management could be more tight to get everyone in line and be more unbiased in their decision making but then again that's pretty much all management. I only do a day a week now so feel free to test the waters it might be good for you or not.
Pros
benifits like life insurance, etc
Cons
everything else
Stressful, work late, no work home balance, poor management
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAOctober 20, 2018
Wasn’t a place to work if you wanted a good work home balance. At our DC we were severely understaffed and some of the people in higher position didn’t feel they needed to pull their weight. It really wasn’t the best job culture and there was definitely special treatment of certain employees.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, poor management, speacial treatment
Poor management n Richland,Ms location
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richland, MSOctober 12, 2018
Enjoyed working at different Owens & Minor locations...The one in Richland,Ms...is honestly terrible...no advancement...only certain people work...management is horrible....enjoyed my teammates n supervisor.. only reason I stayed as long as I did...
Benefits
Cons
The people that actually work have controlled breaks...everyone comes n goes as they please
A decent place to work, but has no growth opportunity
Office (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 6, 2018
OM was once a great company that valued its employees, but after appointing a new CEO in 2015, the company lost sight of what was important. The CEO has since stepped down, but most feel the damage has already been done.
Pros
decent compensation and benefits
Cons
Management, no growth opportunity, little to no recognition for hard work and commitment
Decent place
Hospital Inventory Management Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Valhalla, NYNovember 19, 2018
Owens and Minor is a decent place to work. They’ve have many opportunities to grow. I like the company but they have a lot of strict rules. It seemed they were adding regulations yearly. The changes just made it seem like they wouldn’t work with the employee and understand certain circumstances. The benefits were alright but medical changed a lot while I was there, which got annoying.
Training and Job Security
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILOctober 28, 2018
The training sucks they have nothing implemented to train people management is about self doesn't care about there employees at all. The coworker were friendly long hours never kno whem y oui u going home.
Pros
Free Heath Benefits first day
Cons
Not Enough Pay, training sucks
Overall
Yard Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 3, 2018
Overall its a good company to work for but they are very picky about who they promote. I had learned every dept almost but still couldn't get a promotion.
Pros
Current events was great and one of the years a nice yearly bonua. Great insurance benifits
Cons
Some years would work 50-60 hours a week and not have any breaks in between those weeks
Friendly place to work and great to their employees
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJanuary 7, 2019
Owens and Minor was a great place to work, it gave great benefits and the supervisors were excellent. I was busy all the time and enjoyed working for Owens & Minor. I worked there 16 years.
Pros
Great benefits and vacation days
Cons
All the divisions were moving the home office in Mechanicsville, Va
poor management and high turnover
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hebron, KYSeptember 28, 2018
worked hard but raises were 1 to 2 percent. A lot of lying from management about pay and company status. The turnover was at 80 percent in 2016. You worked hard and received grief in return.
benefits
Cons
low pay
Was nice when I was there got a meal from a local resturant for lunch, but more money or a raise would have been better.
Bulk Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Mounds View, MNJuly 27, 2018
It paid decent money, but I have never worked at a company where you are praised for your dependability and hard work but you don't receive any monetary compensation for it? The good thing is while working here I saved $15 K in a year.
Pros
The starting rate of pay is decent.
Cons
They don't appreciate dependable workers.
Changed my life
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 5, 2018
I became a zone killer. That’s how cool it was working there. Met a lot of cool people, awesome management. Good starting pay if you want a stable career path
Pros
Ot
Cons
Below par Raises
Happy work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJJune 21, 2018
Did customer service 20 Yrs. then promoted to other positions. Worked with Great Bosses trained with the best teachers. Helped with Company in house picnics Christmas parties. I traveled for this Company teaching Customer Service. Did several jobs such as processing the mail answer phones billed and issued credits.
Pros
Paid Company trips to Main Office. Good raises.
Cons
Had to drive 45-50- mintues to work one way
Owens & Minor
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJanuary 9, 2019
I got hurt on the job and recueved Workman's Comp. It was a good job while I was driving trucks. Until I got hurt and had to do light duty in the warehouse.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Unpleasant Managers
Not a lot of pros
Hospital Inventory Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 4, 2019
The job is easy, management makes it hard. Supervisors lack leadership. They expect you to slave and whenever you ask for help, you don’t receive it. The point system is ridiculous. A lot of good people have been fired. Temps coming and going. This company has a hard time keeping good quality people. Beware of the surreptitious colorism
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Point system, no work-life balance, low pay
Good steady job.
Warehouse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
The job was good, easy, and fast-paced. The people were ok, just not trained properly. Poor management. Extremely filthy warehouse. Climate-controlled facility. The lift trucks are poorly maintained and always broken. Hardest part of the job was dealing with lazy coworkers and dealing with supervisors and leads who know nothing about managing people. Overtime was extreme. 12-15 hour nights. If you have a family, the night shift might not be for you, because you will either never see them, or you will be dead tired. Benefits were ok. Salary was good.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Attendance point system, Management, poorly maintained equipment
"Overtime is the Prime"
Coordinator and Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MISeptember 5, 2018
I feel as if Owens & Minor could stand to have some major improvements, but there are some things that they do well.
The company values the customers and every order has to be packaged and shipped via a certain process.
Perhaps if they lent more time to training the new hires and considered implementing a third shift along with not accepting as many orders per day, it could be a better place to work.
Overall, not bad, but using the voice program is tedious.
Long hours, but substantial pay.
Owens has a long way to go, but if they get a CEO that intimately understands the process, then they would be in great shape.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, break room, Concentra clinic, in-warehouse supervisor's office.
Cons
Overtime every night, no AC in the Summer, point system could use some fine tuning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Owens & Minor. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight