P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,663 reviews matching the search See all 1,816 reviews
fast paced, enjoyable
Backwaiter/take out (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 17, 2019
A typical day at work included an array of duties focused mainly on cleaning/restocking and running food. I also worked take out after a few months of employment. I learned how to work quickly and how to mediate between servers/chefs. There was a heavy management turnover, making it crucial that I work well without constant supervision. The fast paced environment brought everyone together and taught us to rely on one another. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer system. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the chefs/cooks and learning more about food preparation.
Do not work here
Server (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 13, 2019
Management is terrible at this location. I had the hardest time of my life working there and was always uncomfortable going to work everyday. The things you are exposed to can leave you not feeling confident in yourself, or lower your standards as to how a job should be ran by management. The favoritism is at an all time high , employees drinking and doing drugs on the clock, sexual harassment, and discrimination are all things I was exposed to within less than a year of working there. Money can be good but not at the cost of your sanity.
Disrespectful and awful
Lead Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 2, 2019
I have been employed with Pf Changs for about two months now and to make it short it’s a unfair place to work if your a new hire. There are many senior staff members who bully and steal tables from new hires and management does nothing about it niether does HR. They fire some people and not others for the same offenses which is beyond me. I have been in the industry for more than 5 years and have never felt so disrespected by the staff mainly senior staff and kitchen man.
Pros
Cons
Homelessness shoot up in bathrooms. Death threats. Awful
Extremely Picky
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 25, 2019
The management and company have a ridiculous set of standards. They don't tolerate any mistakes and they treat their management and employees terribly. I would not recommend working for them unless you are thick skinned and money hungry. The only benefit is that you make really goo money so you sacrifice a fun and stress free work environment for a very strict money making environment.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, Corporate, Rules
Server/ bartender (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 13, 2018
Being a server is not a job for everyone. You have to interact with people constantly throughout your shift. Fortunately I love talking to people and making new friends. An example of serving a table at P.F. Chang's consists of the following; Greeting them and making conversation, getting drinks, taking appetizer orders, taking entree orders, taking desert orders. Between all of that you must make sure their drinks are filled, empty plates are removed, and making sure their food is up to standard. This is just an example of one table. You could have up to six tables at a time.
Pros
50% off food when you work
Cons
short shifts
Issues with payroll and discrimination
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Horrible company that takes advantage of their staff. I had worked for this company years prior to my recent short stint. Management consistently did not pay employees correctly, played favoritism and possibly was discriminatory behind closed doors. There are countless class action suites against this company and i can see why.
Pros
Earn an income every shift
Cons
Management and income
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXNovember 27, 2018
PF Chang's is a good employer if you are looking for steady work without benefits. The kitchen is organized and clean. Management respectful. Staff encouraged to work as a team. They do pay well but in lieu of the cost of living it is still hard to make ends meet with the rate of pay. I appreciated my work their and that of the respectful working environment. It is a fast passed place to work which helps focus and makes the work day go by quickly.
Starting Job
Busser/Runner/Server/Takeout/Food Expo (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 3, 2019
This was just a job for me, not a career. Although for some people it may be a career opportunity and advancement opportunities are high. There is a lot of room to improve and lots of flexibility within this company which I enjoyed. Can relate to employees/ coworkers and get along with management.
Pros
Food discounts, Interaction with all staff
Cons
Benefits weren't that great
Depending on location might actually have a bright career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYNovember 14, 2018
In the beginning of working for PFC it wall about the Big Guns taking care of the managers and GM, after it was all about taking care of the staff members. They have yet been able to create a balance written out policy. So many grey areas in policies for both managers and staff. Higher ups lack to visit the "broken" locations and all you might get is an email about how your location is broken. The most positive thing is that a family always ends up being created when working for PFC
Pros
family and long term freindships
Cons
higher ups claim to care but they do not
The Restaurant Business
Director- Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 26, 2018
The restaurant business is plagued with poor management. When money is flowing and all is perfect you really don't have worries. Well guess what, those days don't last forever and when you have to teach an entire company/ organization to change their way of thinking and the approach, well, it doesn't work
Pros
Flexible schedule, lots of autonomy
Cons
Senior leadership is not supportive
Young managers don’t know what they’re doing
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDNovember 7, 2018
Bartenders don’t waste your time here. The managers are very young and inexperienced and don’t know the first thing about running a successful bar. No support and no barback. Managers want the bartenders to maintain a full bar and do “to go” services for Ubereats and grubhub which is actually they’re job as managers. They will put on a very nice professional act though until they actually have to some work too. They force double shifts as well to make up for the dead morning shifts. You work twice as hard here for a normal days pay.
Better for customer service
HOST AND BUSSER (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILNovember 5, 2018
Working as a "runner" I basically ran food to tables and inspected and made sure each dish was presentable for the customer. Some "servers" which were basically waiters and waitresses were pretty laid-back but some were rude, and ill-mannered and foul mouthed. All-in-all it was a good experience except for some co-workers and some of the management that did nothing about the issues between some of their workers that have worked there for awhile. Good food, nice people, semi-decent management, and nice ambience.
Pros
deals off of food for lunches, paid lunches
Cons
no free food (except rice and extras)
very diverse
Server/Host/TakeOut (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 31, 2019
I worked with a very diverse group of people. from different ethnicities and people of all ages. Management while i worked there was pretty strict. my manager was an ex marine or something, I believe, so standards were held fairly high. I started as a host to doing take out and eventually serving for the restaurant. Its in down town long beach right across from the convention center so it was pretty busy during most weekends because of it otherwise that area doesn't get a lot of foot traffic. I actually was fired from PF Changs due to a complaint i received over the holidays. It in my opinion was not fair because i had only been serving for about 3 months when they made me close on Christmas eve because the original server, with more experience wanted to leave early that night. i was fired the next month along with one other guy as well.
P.F. Changs is an excellent opportunity to be left in limbo.
Manager (Former Employee) –  kansasNovember 2, 2018
I started P.F. Changs and was blown away by the culture and expectations of employees. It was unlike any company I had ever worked for. It only takes one bad seed from the top. The trickle down effect is real. I left disappointed. Management matters. Manage it, corporate! Also, if you expect someone to work 50+ hours a week, work holidays, be a psychologist, teacher, mom, janitor, accountant, marketer, host, caterer, bus boy, dishwasher, mediator, manager, cook, and server, PAY for it! I loved the staff, guests, and culture. Hopefully they figure it out. Corporate greed seems to get the best of them.
Pros
hot schedules, paid vacation, healthcare
Cons
terrible expectations vs. pay and follow through
Great place to work. Always fun. Many opportunities for advancement and making extra money.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 29, 2018
This place has always held it's employees to a higher standard than most restaurants and is extremely fair. If you follow the rules and meet company standards, you will advance quickly in this workplace. It is very fast-paced and very fun to work here. If I had the option for night-time child care at this time, I would definitely go back here. I have worked at more than 4 locations across the Western United States, and I have loved each location. This job is great if you have good work ethic.
Pros
Great food discounts and lots of money to be made, as well as career advancement.
Cons
Short breaks, hard to get your shift covered if you have an emergency.
You got a bunch of different people from all over you get a little bit of everything workplace is great I've learned a lot here at this company
Lead Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 15, 2018
I have met so many great people here at this company so many people there have taught me so much on how to do my job as a cook as a prep as a leader I've learned so much there
Pros
They give you a free meal they work well with other jobs
Cons
The no paid vacations is a real downfall
Poor management and stressful work environment
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COJanuary 25, 2019
Poor management, was not treated nicely, rude and petty coworkers as well as managers. Very stressful work environment and poor communication from hosts to bussers. Did not enjoy working here at all.
Pros
Cons
No breaks whatsoever, tips came out of paycheck, rude and very petty coworkers and especially managers.
Good if you want to make extra money, not so much if you are trying to support a family.
Server (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 25, 2018
A typical day of working at PF Chang's consists of pretty basic responsibilities. You come in, get seated according to a rotation of all of the servers and complete a set of back of house tasks that you must complete before you leave.
Pros
Discounted food, Make your own schedule
Cons
At the risk of customers whims
Friendly working environment among employees
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2018
The female managers made me feel as if I was a child in school because of how they demean you and treat you as if you are less than. The operational manager was lenient and fair; he also allow you room to grow and get more hours. The kitchen manager is the most favored manager because of his laid back personality. Overall the job as a hostess was stressful because not only did the guest complain to you but also the servers and managers. It’s such a negative environment to stay positive in when everyone in the restaurant is deflecting their problems on to you.
Pros
Good hours, good pay, discounted food
Cons
Stressful work environment
Fun, friendly and productive place to work
Wok Cook (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 5, 2018
Working at PF changs was a blessing. A rare from scratch kitchen meant I got to work with nothing but fresh , non packaged ingredients. The training I received prior to starting was phenomenal, the hours at times weren’t secure but that’s the restaurant life you can’t predict the weather. The management, Chefs and leads is where this location shined , they were always willing to
Help and work with you. The FOH management was always friendly and helpful, the BOH management were always willing to do the extra to help you be better at your job.
Pros
Management, fresh ingredients
Cons
Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Inc..

Powered by Comparably