Pace Analytical Employee Reviews

Drama
Lab Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 7, 2019
Terrible place to work. Drama! They older employee is always causing drama. The supervisor does not help to busy being one of the guys. To many co-workers telling you what to do.
Pros
Cake every month
Cons
To much petty stuff.
Growth through acquisition and minimal management understanding.
Laboratory Technician & Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 8, 2019
My particular laboratory, the organic prep lab, was a very manual labor based operation. We were the only laboratory in the country to manually shake our separation funnels. This was very labor intensive and physically demanding. We were also one of the very few laboratories to condense our extractions over a hot water steam bath. This required great skill and a tremendous amount of time when going from approximately 400 mils of sample to only 1 mil. If the sample went dry, it was ruined and had to be started all over again.
Pros
Learned new skills and safety methods.
Cons
Management had no idea what our true production capacity was.
Always a Challenge
Senior Chemist (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNDecember 25, 2018
I rose through the ranks from a routine testing chemist to a senior member of the method development and validation team. I've seen many people come and go during my 8 years with the company, and the company itself is not the same as the one I first joined. Management has made strong improvements to retain and promote employees, and gives them more opportunities to develop their skills rather than feeling stuck in their current jobs. In addition, the company will reward you for initiative. You can seek and search out opportunities within the company to build your skill set and experience, which I believe contributed to my success there. On the other hand, the company is a contract lab, and generating revenue will always be the top interest. You need to set your own limits on workdays and hours, or it can eat you alive. Especially if you have family depending on you, you must limit your hours, because no one else will do it for you. The best part of PACE is the people. There is very little of the ego present in the operation that is sometime present in a PhD-heavy operation, and I greatly enjoyed teaching and sharing my experience with chemists just out of college. Every day was something different, which I enjoyed, but might not be a fit for everyone. If you like a challenge, are self-driven, and need variety, this is a good place to work. The management is very ethical, from my experience.
Pros
Good employee camaraderie and activities
Cons
Long hours, if you don't set limits for yourself
A lot of great people here.
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 6, 2018
I was in a support role here and worked as part of their contracting agency. I was treated fairly and respectfully as a part of Pace Analytical. This was a great place to work.
Toxic place to work
Assistant Chemist-1st shift (Current Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNNovember 12, 2018
-Toxic work environment
-No work/life balance
-Health benefits borderline unusable due to high deductibles.
-Management dangerously disengaged.
-Unacceptable pay rate for work being demanded.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
18+hour shifts, sometimes back to back.
People are fun and friendly but getting promoted is a dark long tunnel
Life Sciences Chemist (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNNovember 5, 2018
With a place like Pace, it takes in chemists right out of college, gives them just above minimum wage pay, overworks them, doesn't promote hard workers, doesn't care when those hard workers leave and replaces them with a new hire right out of college. It's a never ending cycle!! Management doesn't care that its analysts make barely enough to scrape by. And training on new equipment to build yourself in your career seems to take forever!
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
just above minimum wage pay.
Great Job
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 14, 2018
Wonderful job with great pay. I just wish that they would give people and opportunity to learn from their mistakes instead of firing them immediately. Learned a lot and was cross trained for many things.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Job Security is shaky
employees in the Salina office were a joy to work with.
Project Co-Ordinator II (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSOctober 11, 2018
Overall the head office in Minneapolis was not management oriented. Required phone and office meetings took up most of each working day and interfered with processing customer reports and invoicing.
Pros
Did give bonus' if office income exceeded a specific amount
Cons
1/2 hour for lunch, no overtime
Great group
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 2, 2018
Great group of people in my area. We have a lot of fun with the Spirit team. Always some type of fun competition between departments for some type of bragging rights. Job is very fast-paced and not for the faint of heart. It would be nice if they would allow for more part time helpers to step in when we get inundated. Company has good benefits and friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Spirit team, lots of group functions
Cons
work hours can be long, work load can be over-whelming
Fun
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2018
This was my first internship. The people were nice and friendly. Learned a lot here. This was my first job and my first look at the corporate world. I recommend working here.
Poor culture, poor pay, long hours....
Lab Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSSeptember 13, 2018
Although Pace touts that it values it's employees, in reality, the only thing Pace management values is the dollar. There is a high turnover in the laboratory...so much so that that new hires are being told that the turnover is a "perk" because it allows you to move up in the company quicker. Even if you like your position, you must remain upwardly mobile or you will be let go because cheaper help can be hired. The worst problem with the laboratory is that management values the quantity of work over the quality of work delivered to clients. Pace prides itself on quick turn-around times for the delivery of results to clients and it is often at the expense of the quality of the result. There are so many questionable practices utilized in the lab to achieve rapid results that many analysts leave due to the ethical dilemmas that they are put in to.
Pros
Cons
Questionable ethics, value quantity over quality of results.
Good entry level positions
Environmental Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 24, 2018
Working for Pace as an environmental field tech gives one the opportunity to engage with clients on a daily basis while conducting a broad range of sampling methods. Field technicians report to the lab each day but spend most of their time driving to and from jobs, conducting sampling, and maintaining equipment. Compensation is fair however, there is limited growth opportunity.
Good stepping stone.
Pace (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLAugust 22, 2018
Pace is not something I want to retire from. The older employees are under appreciated and over worked. The newer hires are poorly trained and left to fend for themselves then belittled for not catching on. The company is lead by a bunch of drinking buddies after work and if you do not fit in with them, your ideas and opinions are over looked. The management structure needs improvement as well as communication. Pace needs a big culture shock. What I would like to see is some accountability for ones who preform poorly. No more "talk about it meetings," and actual actions being taken, high schooler drama ending and more listening to the little guys. They matter more than people given them credit for.
Pros
A handful of great people
Cons
Minimal training. Lack of communication.
Excellent place to work
FTIR Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 15, 2018
I work in their LabOps division which does contract work for a variety of companies, and the management and culture seem to be very good. The managers listen to the employees and do a good job in seeing that everyone is progressing. Excellent work life balance.
A good step but needs work
Lab Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJuly 23, 2018
This was a good stepping stone to reach my career goals. Wish I was warned about the pay and the advancement that was promised was met. My job was easy enough for a college graduate. I was promised promotions within a year of hire and still have not seen those promotions. Really drives the enjoyment of the job out and makes it seem mundane.
I liked it there, I would have probably stayed
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 19, 2018
My position was terminated due to decrease in workload. I did like my co-workers and management but was not there long and can not comment on the company as a whole.
overworked, under paid
Lab Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 12, 2018
pace is only looking out for itself and the bottom line, not the employees. morale is incredibly low, turn over is high. there's a lack of communication from management to employees and pointless meetings.
Pros
flexible schedules, OT opportunities
Cons
OT opportunities, poor work/life balance
it was ok
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJuly 5, 2018
Quite unorganized as far as management is concerned. Local employees and management are very friendly and a pleasure to work with. Better attention needs to be paid to the needs of the lab in order to do our job correctly.
Very collaborative and fun development team. Bad owner.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 22, 2018
I loved the work at Pace and my teammates. I learned a lot and had a good time with my coworkers. However there was very little recognition from management and owner. Good thing the business and the development team had such a great relationship. We were able to go around the road blocks. We even had a hackathon to bring talented IT workers in other locations into software development. Our IT director ended up being very impressed with the method of "training".
Great place for a go getter
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 21, 2018
The work was rewarding but many challenges come with it. It takes someone highly organized and willing to travel, be at the right place, and know the best solution for success here.
Pros
Seeing different places
Cons
Selling to a tough market

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pace Analytical. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight