Pace Communications Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
friendly 'productive
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 29, 2018
assisting client with meals,bath,errands,transportation. i learned how to be more patient with the elderly.all of the managers i came in contact werevery nice and friendly.i didnt find anything hard about ..the most enjoyable part of my job was when i took my client out for activities.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Enjoyable fast paced work environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 12, 2018
As a temporary position it was a fast paced work environment. Work was completed in a manner that both contractor and customer were pleased with the results.
Pros
temporary position
Cons
temporary position
Good starting job, but not great for long term
Associate Editor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 21, 2018
Honestly, this is a pretty decent starting job. A lot of employees who work here are young and fresh out of college. It's an older company (40+ years), but they're a little rooted in the past. The owner hired someone to make changes, but they're slow going. Management often expects you to do work outside of the office if things don't get finished during work hours, but this is mostly the case because they put a lot of work on your plate.
Pros
Wellness programs, good clients for the resume
Cons
Bad management
Productive work envoronment Friendly Professional Peop;e
Companion/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 10, 2018
Keeping my client save happy and healthy
Maintain his rehab everyday being that he was in a rehab facility
Hardest part was answering his question " Where is my wife" but I always gave the same answer " She is at the office doing your work"
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing him smile when I walked in the room
Pros
Seeing him progress and free lunch
Cons
no benefits partime and only temporary job
Overworked and Underpaid
Marketing Content Editor, Southwest Airlines (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 6, 2017
The best thing about Pace is the people. There's a tremendous pool of talent. But the low pay, lack of job security, and uneven directives from the ever-changing management makes it a tough place to recommend.
Pros
good location
Okay
Designer (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 3, 2017
The people that work at Pace are cool, clever and hard working. It's a creative environment that is fast paced and can be fun. The computer equipment is a little out of date.
Pros
Cool co-workers
Cons
Workings lots of hours

Comment – November 10, 2017

Absolutely no job security whatsoever. It doesn't matter how awesome you are.... It's just how they roll and they've treated a lot of people like garbage.

Great Company
President (e-Commerce division) (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 18, 2017
Pace is an excellent company run by a smart, driven, and accomplished team. The business has shifted over the years to be more project driven rather that contract driven so that makes things more variable. Pace has assembled a fantastic group of professionals and they do really smart and effective work.
Pros
Quality people
Cons
Driven by client needs meaning the required hours can sometimes be extensive
A mixed bag, so your mileage may vary...
Employee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 28, 2017
I worked with a great team, my manager was great also. Unfortunately his manager was awful and the the whole team had to work around that. When the account next to us closed and there were big layoffs it was alarming to say the least.
Revolving door with weak managers
Creative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 17, 2017
There is no job security and no promotion internally. pace recently laid off 15 people -- about 10 percent of the staff -- and is now trying to rehire for all those positions at lower salaries. That's a pretty crummy way to treat employees, who bust their butt regularly.

The clients rule and create very hectic deadlines, enabled by project managers who promise revisions by EOD when the creatives can barely get it done on that timetable. lots of wasted effort. Put a lot into your work and then the client shoots it all down with no guidance on what they really want and no one within pace to stand up and ask clarifying questions to facilitate the process. So it's mostly hectic and hysterical all the time.

When my workload became overwhelming, I asked to sit down with my managers for a talk about how we could address it. they were so busy laughing among themselves and texting other people they paid no attention to me. A wasted meeting and nothing good came of it. I chalk this up to inexperienced managers who don't know how to treat employees and are solely worried about keeping their own jobs when people are being fired all the time.

Whatever you do, don't move in order to accept a job there. We've seen several high level creatives hired through headhunters who moved their families for the job, only to be fired within 3-4 months. Definitely a negative work-life situation.

New company president may be streamlining the agency and trying to move it away from publications and more into digital advertising. Wouldn't be surprised if the owner sold it this year.
Pros
Work with fun, creative colleagues
Cons
Weak management who puts the dollar sign ahead of everything else
Watch out for Elon Grads
B2B Editor/Writer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 14, 2017
If you're older they'll devour you with ambition.

The trip was a slog but my manager was great. Really listened to me. Sadly we were both canned after about a year.
Great Co-Workers
IT Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 23, 2017
I loved my co-workers. Young, artistic, down to earth and fun environment. I enjoyed going to work everyday. Benefits could be better but with every being pretty young, i don't think medical benefits are required.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
OK environment to work in
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed the photo editing opportunities and the table-top art director photo shoots; working here allowed me to travel and enter [and win] design competitions. I learned a lot about publishing.

Creativity is a bit limited to your supervisor or editor's whims. No real opportunity for advancement, in the time I was there.
Cons
dress code
Awesome creative team
Senior Editor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 3, 2017
The best part was working with different awesome creative teams and managers.
Small town with lots of things to do.
I wouldn't want to leave.
Pros
Very positive and creative environment.
Cons
Clients
Great people, but antiquated and doomed org structure
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 20, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Pace and worked with some of my favorite coworkers I've ever had. My direct managers provided me with feedback, mentorship and skills I'll value forever. Pace is a fun office with lots of events and opportunities (city kickball team, playing with shelter puppies, free gelato, food trucks in the parking lot for lunch). I don't ever regret my time there; it equipped me with the tools I needed for the next steps in my career.

Sadly, all of that is overshadowed by Pace's desire to seem like a hip, digital agency when they're still very much stuck in an inflexible and old-fashioned corporate publishing model they grew from. Pace is decades old and used to produce almost exclusively in-flight magazines. Just 7ish or so years ago, they haphazardly dove into digital, and the transition's been bumpy. They need to ditch their clunky roots in order to truly be the sleek agency they pretend they are.

It's a common joke among creatives in the Triad that everyone either was or knows someone who used to work for Pace. Emphasis on the "used to." Pace's contract model and rapidly rearranged client priority list translates into massive layoffs after losing clients each year. This is common in the industry, but usually contracts are longer. Pace hates this, for the record, and does a good job at attempting to reseat people. But it doesn't end up working because the model is bad. Their business model means this is not a place for great job security. Over half the people I used to work with are no longer there. I know a friend who was hired and then laid off within a month
  more... on a particularly volatile account. He had just had a baby. Cmon, people.

A final note on pay: I was hired as a temp on an hourly basis. A few others recent grads/entry level employees during my time there were temp as well, I can only deduce for purposes Pacers like to call "CYA." It was frustrating to know I had an actually lesser dollar value than others on my team carrying the same workload and tasks. I pushed for several months for my pay to be raised from my initial (and laughable) $10/hr. I'd encourage any entry-level candidates with great credentials to push hard for better and more permanent pay.

If you go in knowing that context, and have a few backup plans in your pocket, you will enjoy your time at Pace and learn a lot, especially if you are beginning your creative career and don't have much to lose. If you're mid- to senior-level, and are the main breadwinner in your household, I'd be wary.
Pros
Great people and vibe, opportunities for growth if you look for them, work on high-profile clients, good place for creative career jumpstart
Cons
Low job security/high turnover, antiquated "agency" structure, needs fresh leadership at the top
Great Company to Bad Our Division Is closing
Embroidery - Process Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 5, 2016
My direct manager are great to work with it has a family atmosphere,
interesting work, lots of training but it is seasonal clients driven.
Unfortunately. it's closing and I wish it wasn't.
REALLY great place to work but not secure
Junior Art Director - Verizon Team (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 30, 2015
I loved working at PACE so so so so much. Everyone was nice from the time I was an intern till I was an artist on contract. They have lots of fun events to keep people happy. The environment is healthy and there are lots of benefits. I would have liked to stay here forever. They let a lot of people come and go. Not a lot of positions or money to keep people here, sadly. Otherwise they do GREAT work and are a great honorable company. I will miss everyone.
Pros
Free food very often, lots of free events, benefits, hour lunch break, healthcare
Cons
No job security, you never know when they will let you go
Creative, fun workplace
Assistant Editor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 16, 2015
We've got an open office floor plan -- takes a little getting used to, but it's great for collaborating and bouncing ideas off of one another. Work with approximately 70 on my team/account. Company overall employs around 300 people at that location (they've got several locations throughout the country).

Typical day: Brief morning meeting (about 20 minutes) where the creative team (writing/content, art and copyedit) meet for a quick rundown of what everyone's working on, if they need help or if they can offer help to the rest of the team. Other than that, spend a lot of time at the computer writing, editing, creating/entering/optimizing site content.

What I've learned: Gotten pretty good at juggling several different tasks at once. Specifically, I've learned a lot about SEO marketing/writing and adapting writing to different client requests.

Management: Pretty laid back. Check in with managers when need be, but otherwise usually left to take care of our tasks independently. Really, managers are there for content direction.

Co-workers: Range in age from mid-20's to 50's. Everyone is very creative, witty, smart -- they know how to write quality marketing content. Very accustomed to working in small teams for certain tasks that either ongoing long-term or have a set deadline.

Hardest part of the job: Time management. Especially working with clients, have to be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, normally with pretty quick turnarounds on deadlines. Also, writing. Writing content is very challenging. A lot of writing can be rather technical, but we
  more... have to be able to make relatable and interesting to readers.

Most enjoyable part: Writing. Although it's challenging, it's also fun and rewarding when you produce a really snazzy article.
Pros
Lots of fun breaks (chili cook off, bowling trip, pumpkin painting competition); very fun work environment, standing desks, lots of free food!
Cons
Can get tedious at times, I don't have a standing desk (I don't like sitting all day), hard to look at a computer all day
Pace Communications is a constantly evolving workplace, jam-packed with smart and creative content experts.
DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work includes working with editors, the publisher and clients to design and get approval for departments and features. We operate with tight-knit teams on projects, in a pretty relaxed but focused atmosphere, getting content moving through and keeping clients very happy. The best part of the job is working with very talented photographers and illustrators world-wide. The most challenging part of the job is wrangling the content into a monthly schedule, with deadlines that don't budge.
Pros
Creative atmosphere! Wellness programs and a fun committee to help with the work/life balance.
Cons
Deadlines and tight budgets, which are part of the territory, of course.
I loved this place!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2014
Busy environment but the company has a love for their employees.
Pros
Pay rate, management, appreciation of employees, yard sales
A great place to work!
Freelance Production Artist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2014
The days go by quickly and the work is diverse. Obviously daily print ads must be designed and produced, but there's a fair share of display materials as well as collateral and web banner design. The staff is great - with a good mixture of personalities and talents that combine to make a productive yet relaxed environment. I learned invaluable software/design tips and shortcuts that was willingly shared by all. Sometimes the workload and deadlines can be a bit overwhelming, but the staff make all the hard work worthwhile.
Pros
After work happy hours and complimentary continental breakfast Fridays.