Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) Employee Reviews

Horrible management filled with cut throat behavior
Journeyman Welder, Foreman (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 18, 2018
Dishonesty , poor communication, horrible work environment and impossible work homelife balance. Travel all the time with unknown return dates to see home. Supervisors will transfer people out of town the first time you disagree with them. The scream safety but have the most unsafe work practices I have ever seen
Stable, productive and fun place to work
Project Manager / Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 9, 2018
Stable, productive and fun place to work. Great location in the city, downtown with good access to local facilities. People there are generally kind & supportive
Great work place
Utility Worker - GAS - GC (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 2, 2018
I love it at PGE. Great work place, great people. Benefits are awesome, along with the pay and options to move around the company. I plan on being with PGE for a long time
PG&E as an Consultant
Sr. Business Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 2, 2018
My tenure at PG&E was on a consultant bases. Although I would of entertained the opportunity to work at PG&E, that opportunity never did present itself.

Note: my responses are based on observations of PG&E employees and their working experience.
on call contractor for emergency services as needed
contractor (Former Employee) –  statewideOctober 2, 2018
Enjoyed working with PG&e one year contract turned into 10 year contractor with
All aspects of the work . working in remote areas statewide.You have to be self motivated at all hours as needed for emergency services
Assisting troublemen construction crews emergency services.at all hours and locations
I really enjoyed working in the production field.food services, welding and machining and many more Fields
Pros
independent, troubleshooting, working with production crews and supervisors
Cons
travel away from home for long periods of time
Director of Supplier Quality Assurance (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 1, 2018
Allowed me to develop my strategy, implement, and be recognized for the accomplishments. I routinely meet with the top executives and I influence the company’s direction for material and service quality.
Review of PG&E employment
Calibration Technician (Former Employee) –  Avila Beach, CAOctober 1, 2018
I very much enjoyed the personnel I worked with over a nearly 30 year span of time. I am friends to this day with all of my coworkers and my supervisors. However, the work was seasonal and had no benefits. The work was challenging and rewarding, as I served as a technician calibrating and repairing test equipment for about 60 hrs per week, two months out of the year. The pay was outstanding, but there were no benefits. Sometimes, the work was dangerous, but it was rewarding in the sense allowing one to problem solve. The plant where I worked is due to close in 2022 and after the death of my husband, it has become necessary for me to seek work elsewhere.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
Long hours, occasionally dangerous work
More interested in share holders than stake holders
CREW FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 1, 2018
My experience at PG&E saw the company lose its reputation as a company that cared for its employees and customers, to a company that cared only for its bottom line and stock value. It neglected its obligation to the public to perform proper maintenance of its infrastructure in order to lower its operating costs on a regular basis year after year, resulting in severe consequences to public safety.
The upper management disregarded any concerns of its employees in the field, and kept an "ivory tower" attitude toward its management style and decision making. All this, of course, is typical of the corporate philosphies being prcticed across Corporate America today.
Pros
Good Pay and Union Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Good Company
Power Distribution Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 28, 2018
The best part is the huge amount of resources and information available to you. Interns have so much opportunity to learn and actually do work as an intern.
Productive but no fun at all
Senior System/Application Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2018
Typical day at work: Always very busy, and the day finishes fast.
I learned new skills - Appian application and enhanced my experience with Linux administration.

Workplace culture: There was lots of politics. Not much opportunity to say what is on your mind.
It is who you know.....

Although it was hectic, I learned new thing every day.

The break-room was very poor.
Pros
safe and secure place
Cons
As a contractor, very short breaks and every minute counts.
Good work life balance, but large bureaucratic company
Principal, Enterprise Risk Management (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
The company offers good benefits on average, although below comparisons to other Bay Area companies. Leadership is not great. Very few people who know what they are doing and most work gets delegated down because no one knows what they are doing. Advancement is based on your relationships, not your performance or qualifications. You will very often hear that "you don't need to be an expert to be a leader" here.
Pros
Solid benefits, lots of opportunities to work on different things and move around
Cons
Senior management, affordability, leadership, and layers upon layers of middle management
slow paced, good benefit, great for people who are planning to raise a family
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2018
the company is very large. depending on which organization you work in, the culture, collaboration space, talents, and management differs.With the recent change in the energy market, top management and bottom individual contributors are carrying most of loads and work pressure.
Demanding environment with lack of experience
Department Manager of Project Controls (Former Employee) –  Concord, CASeptember 24, 2018
Interesting place to work but need a little more time to fully understand and develop in the Project and Contract management concept. They can be a great company with the right leadership and talent that can support the vision for success.
Benefits
Cons
Cost of living.
A company in cultural transition
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 21, 2018
My management did not seem to be well experienced with the responsibilities of being in management roles. The company vision was a bit convoluted, and the management did not provide any tangible objectives or expectations to accomplish the company vision. This allows some employees freedom to identify objectives and build expertise in the best way that they feel is suited to them
My work experience as a contractor with PG&E
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 21, 2018
I respect the work ethic and workplace culture at PG&E. I find the professional environment to be one of which I would feel honored to be a part.
My experience is that the PG&E work environment allows for and promotes innovation, personal responsibility, high expectation of outcomes, teamwork and collaboration, and professional growth.
Pros
Professional ethics, high expectations of results, support and encouragement from management
Cons
Multiple deadlines, longer process towards outcomes
Loved PG&E
Senior Real Estate Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2018
PG&E was a great place to work in the 1990s. It has changed so much, however, that I don't know if it still has the same culture that it did, which included great advancement opportunities for women, excellent benefits, clear expectations, high safety standards, and exceptional professional and academic advancement opportunities. There was a reason employees stayed for their entire careers.
Pros
Great benefits, tuition reimbursement, nice offices, advancement opportunities
Cons
Very large corporation
Micromanagement 1990 technology processes and tools
Senior Strategic Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 17, 2018
Very similar culture as the DMV or post office. It may have been cutting-edge in the 60s an 70s but mid level management is antiquated in leadership skills and resistant to change. A very wrote method of orientation and training of “it’s the Pge way, make it happen”.
Pros
Quitting time
lack of union representaion
Journeyman Lineman (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CASeptember 11, 2018
Seemed like a great place to work and probably is if you dont live in the bay area. i relocated here and have trouble affording housing while making 250000 a year. the average home in this area is over 1 million. not to mention the lack of union representation.
A great experience
Sr. Business Systems Configuration Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 9, 2018
It was a great working experience. I learned a lot. There are lost of opportunity for growth. There is a job/work life balance. I enjoyed working with them.
Great Benefits yet slow to advance...
Resource Utilization Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CASeptember 7, 2018
Great benefits yet slow and difficult to advance...had the privilege of 2 great managers who left the company.

Workplace culture depends on the department I worked in IT the duration of my time at the company not all bad, yet not all good either. The culture is changing there is hope...
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Slow to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E). Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

14%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss