Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
68Average
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E):

Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) Employee Reviews

United States872 reviews
Work-life balance
Great

Overall

Pretty great place to work at. Lots of growth of opportunities and many challenges. Great time to come in and make significant changes. Appreciate the speak up culture.
Feels like your just a number. Doesn’t care how well you do or how hard you work even if you do it for years. Don’t mess up or have a mistake they will go after you
Overuse of contractors with huge turnover due to bad management and training. Managers give lip service to following procedures but will not back up the staff when we attempt to maintain compliance. Career managers are happy to throw staff under the bus when there is push back from internal sources. Regarding the facilities and actual work environment, when a request was made for an accommodation, the manager verbally gave support but then later, on a whim, changed their mind and attempted disciplinary action denying their prior approval. HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT. I WALKED OUT ON THE SPOT.
Pros
Free and easy parking
Cons
Unhappy co-workers = no team. Negligent managers.
Toxic work environment: sexist and racist people in the organization I worked for in Eureka, California. A LOT of nepotism. Benefits ( health insurance and tuition assistance) made me willing to tolerate the work retirement-once that was completed, I left the company.
Pros
benefits/tuition assistance
Cons
racist and sexist work environment
Job seekers rely on your experience.
For the 6 years I worked at PG&E, I felt I was in good hands with the management team. When I first started, they knew I had 11 years of military experience behind me; thus, the management team gave me a chance to run the DLP program. At first I thought they were crazy, but in time, I was doing every aspect of the Program as the management supported me when I needed it. Withy them I wouldn't have the skills I have today. In term of health benefits, PG&E is second to none. I wasn't aware of this until I moved on to my next company. PG&E covers 92.5% or insurance cost and provides HSA. For 401k PG&E provides up to 6% match from the start. Overall, if I didn't have to move I would have stayed with the company until I retired.
Pros
Great Health benefits / Excellent 401k
Cons
Slow upward mobility
The company overall is ok. The call center management is a joke. You might as well be in high school all over again.

There is no support for advancement in the call center unless you are one of the favorites. The training is a joke due to the incompetence of the training supervisor.
As an apprentice, you aren’t even human. It’s part of the line work culture. You will spend one month every six months at Livermore training academy for your next step. That month up there is mostly a vacation, because they treat you human. The testing is very strict, and very easy to fail if you don’t study and pay attention, but the instructors are amazing and really willing to do everything it takes to get you to pass
Pros
Great pay, good opportunities once apprenticeship is finished
Cons
Apprentices are treated like animals
It was a good company for a utilities company. If you're looking for a start-up vibe with full autonomy, don't work here. They are very compliance driven and need to follow all the rules and regulations as a utilities company out to be.
White guys club,
either they like you or they don't, no matter what you do

Very white male dominant management, they hire and fire almost every single week...
Pros
high pay rate
Cons
job insecurity, white dudes club
My position was terminated. Worked 10 yrs for the PG&E and they did not help me find a position or transfer me back to my old one. And was terminated. 5 months later they opened my position up and never called me back. They break rules.
Pros
Pay/ benefits and retirement
Cons
Untrustworthy cut throat and dishonest
supervisor confronted me daily instead of trying to work with me. I was cornered & verbally attacked & they blocked the door from me leaving. It was so intense I cried for the first time ever in front of someone at a job. I reported it and was then laid off after being placed on a performance improvement plan for 3 months. I also had just returned from having a broken ankle. It was many conflicts with someone who preferred moving up instead of supporting employees in their roles.
Pros
Benefits were great
Cons
Moving up the ladder is more important and politics instead of true support
Interned there for thee summer, great company culture. Gave me a great insight into what the accounting profession would look like after I graduated from College.
I have 30 years at company at one point great place to work Now they micro manage everything you do . Can not trust any management or union . Union local 1245 will sell u out to save 10 regardless if your right They will turn on you I had no form of discipline over 20 yrs tried to ruin me Over personal issues .
Great place to work, The company is big on safety. The work life and balance is pretty good.I highly recommend working for PG&E especially in the aviation Department.
Great place to work for minorities. I had the opportunity to create my own position and rise to the top in it. Open door policy with leadership was great.
Can't beat the benefits and pay, but it wasn't worth the sacrifices that came with the job. Additionally, one of the most racist/sexist work environments I have ever experienced.
Their training program gets you started in the right direction.
They make you pass several OJT/TPE before ever letting you out in the plant. I worked both unit Process Control System upgrades in 2012/2013. Good pay and good location.
Rude management and sexist culture. Organization what so ever. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LOOKING ELSEWHERE. the vice president of PGE, however, is amazing.no health insurance, job security, people can fire/ let you go without reason and 44% if your paycheck goes to taxes in an expensive area where u can even find anywhere to live if you want to feel clean.
Amazing place to work and professional environment and transparent work culture with chance of professional growth. Great people to work with scope to learn and grow
Very professional atmosphere, it is a regulated company that focused on process and procedures that follows the policies of the company. The institution is client oriented and driven by services .
The sky is the limit in a career with PG&E. Most employees with more than 15 years with the company have done 4-5 jobs. Whether you're an individual contributor or inspired to lead, cross-functional development is promoted. The teams are strong, the people are great.