Pacific Life
63Average

Pacific Life Employee Reviews

United States216 reviews
Amazing company, started in January and they let me have a week off with my newborn son in February. Working from home has been a very smooth transition, and very convenient. Would totally recommend friends work here.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, flexible PTO
I enjoyed working for this company for 6 years. I had supportive supervisors and managers who encouraged me to learn new things and even move to other departments within the company if I chose. My co-workers for the most part were friendly and professional and came to work ready to do their jobs. We set goals and had supervisors that met with us frequently to help us to reach those goals. I stayed in one department because I truly enjoyed coming to work each day and being able to do a variety of functions. Sadly my job was outsourced, which I understood, but I felt that upper management was not very tactful in the way that we were let go. Many of us felt like we were belittled and told that we were easily replaced.
Pros
lots of community outreach, chances for advancement
Cons
some meetings could've been accomplished with email
This is a very good place to do a summer internship if you are interested in actuarial science. I found the people to be super helpful and supportive as we worked on our individual projects. I also enjoyed the weekly beach volleyball put on by the company.
Official response from Pacific Life
April 23, 2020
Thank you for your kind review. We love having interns each year and happy you had a great experience. We strive to make the internship program meaningful and full of learning opportunities and experiences.
This company's first president was Leland Stanford. If you didn't look at a calendar, you'd think he was the current president. I was not happy here. I wouldn't return.
Employee feedback is the hub of both personal and professional growth. Feedback from the employee helps in two ways: Improving the company's work methods and improving the management.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
There is no future in IT. New regime is committed to outsourcing all development to offshore companies. I would not recommend or refer anyone to this company.
Working with Pacific life was amazing the employees as well as the managers there were great friendly knowledgeable you had a sense of belonging the customers or amazing as well
Family & work balance. Education reimbursement for industry. Company paid courses for industry designations. Community support. Management support on advancing.
Pac Life started out to be a great place to work. In the 6 years I worked there, there was quite a bit of positive and negative turnover. My department was outsourced and so far the new company is pretty bad.
Everything is paper still. You do it on the computer and print it for authorization. It has been a couple years so they may have moved to electronic records by now. They are old and slow but stable. There isn't a lot of excitement but that leave a pretty relaxed mentality. You don't take work home and you aren't stressed out. Advancement is hard as they aren't growing quickly and so you have to wait for your leaders to retire or leave to move up. Play your hand right and you can do it.
I am very grateful I worked for this organization. I met a lot talented smart people in which we all collaborated to meet with the organizational's goals
Working at Pacific Life was a different experience for me. The work was easy and rewarding. If I had it to do over I probably should have stayed because I could be a VP by now.
The job was very satisfying. I worked with wonderful people and met and made many new friends. Unfortunately, traveling 150,000+ air miles annually become physically taxing
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Extensive travel - every week
The cloud transformation program is a rudderless ship, with little hope of reaching shore any time soon. Unclear objectives, chronic waste on endless vendor engagements, and misleading management round things out.
Despite growing pains with creating a new division the company takes care of its employees with an exceptional benefits package.Time is provided to balance work life and home life.
Preferential treatment, unnecessary org changes resulting in layoffs, overpaid-under-qualified leadership, lack of direction, no brand cohesion, no cross division employee engagement
Pros
Cafe
Cons
VPs
Brought it to management but they decided the harasser was more important to their organization- even though he admitted it. Brought it to HR too, and then I just had to hide from retaliation
Official response from Pacific Life
January 15, 2020
We’re sorry you hold this opinion. We are committed to maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment of any kind, and have dedicated resources in Employee Relations who are responsible for investigating and addressing complaints from current and former employees. As the head of Employee Relations, I ask that you contact me directly at 949-219-3532 to provide additional detail so that we can ensure any issues are addressed appropriately. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.
The structure is very chaotic and a heavy reliance on other teams that you have no idea who works for who. If you like being in control don’t work her
There's certain positions that require the SIE, Series 6 & 7 licensing. If you don't pass after two tries, you're terminated. That being said - make sure you're a good test taker or complete the exams before applying.

To study for the exam, they provided a SIE textbook and gave me less than two weeks to absorb. Since PL is a well-established financial organization, I was anticipating a tutor or lecturer to help guide me through the mass of new information. Instead, I was given the 8 hour work days to study by myself.

Although I didn't pass the first time, I was thrown into training for the call center (annuity specialist position) in spite of not knowing if I'd still have the job. The training could have been more organized but to my knowledge, my group acted as their guinea pigs for a new training program.

After a month of uncertainty, I decided the corporate atmosphere and financial industry wasn't for me. But let me add a few more things about PL in Omaha, NE:

The company culture is astounding. All of the supervisors were very encouraging and open to any questions. There were team building exercises, food days, and a new lunch room.

Each department had their own sort of "clique", if you will (still very welcoming). I often noticed the sales department to be talking; seemed to never be busy with anything except for themselves.

The work pays well, great overall benefits, BUT if you aren't willing to fully indulge and sit in front of a computer all day, this isn't the right fit for you.
Professional people doing professional planning. Great to work there.

Excellent benefits, great opportunity, really enjoyed working there. Great offices.
I’ve worked for several companies, but this was my worse experience by far. My manager had no respect for her team members. I don’t recommend working for PL in their life insurance division in Aliso Viejo. I hear that the location in Newport has a different culture.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Life. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.2
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.2Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight