Pacific Northwest National Laboratories Employee Reviews

A very interesting place to work.
Technical Communnications Associate Senior (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 27, 2018
Important and exciting science happens there and a great many staff are tremendously talented, dedicated individuals. Management is very hit-and-miss. 10% are exceptional (and frustrated); 90% are Old Boys' Club or taking up space. If you're a researcher, it's a great place to work, with challenges in the form of administrative headaches. If you're a support worker, good luck, Chuck.
The unicorn of employers
Project Controls Intern (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 26, 2018
The most amazing company to work for! This place takes care of their employees, educated them so they may excel, and is incredibly sociable. Also the landscaping is beautiful.
Cons
Professional and people oriented company
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 26, 2018
A great company to grow professionally with opportunities to mentor young and new co-workers. Abundant opportunities for community involvement on behalf of PNNL.
Very exciting and fast paced environment
OFFICE SUPPORT SERVICES ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 16, 2018
Working with many different nationalities and cultures was very interesting. I worked in Cyber Security and it was very interesting. I loved the scientists I supported but there should have been more than one admin for that many scientists in an up and coming field.
Pros
Interesting enviroment
Cons
traffic and pay
Great place for an Internship
BUILDING OPERATIONS AND COMMISSIONING INTERN (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 7, 2018
Personally, this internship has been great. Mentor has taught me a lot, and every day is a new challenge. Definitely recommend for engineering students.
Excellent place to work
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 2, 2018
Work culture was amazing. The group I worked with was very team oriented. The work environment while challenging was interesting and the benefits are some of the best.
Good Opportunity
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAOctober 2, 2018
This fellowship is great. I got to work with a lot of good people and it was a great opportunity. More fellowships like this should exist. Very well compensated.
Exellent workplace to lean and build a career
Post-Bachelor's Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 13, 2018
My time spent at PNNL was exceptional. I learned a lot from peers and hope to use this experience to further my future endeavors. Management pushed for excellence and expected much out of their employees. Workplace culture was an great, many friendly and intelligent people from all aspects of science. There was also a great support team of admins and craftsmen that kept day to day operations going.
Good starting intern position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 11, 2018
If you have never had an internship or any work experience before, PNNL is a great first step. Interns are treated nicely at the lab with many events and supportive staff to help you. In my case, I had friendly coworkers who I still keep in touch with today. However, being a government-funded lab there are stressful times. I have seen both the ups and downs of working there. But for a first experience, it is well worth it.
Aggressive office staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 8, 2018
PNNL has great diversity when it comes to their scientists and technicians. However, their administrative staff is either "clicky" or very unkind. Management provided zero feedback unless you'd done something wrong.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Stand-off staff
Productive workplace with easygoing and helping coworkers
Nuclear Engineer, Deputy Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAAugust 30, 2018
Everyone here is always willing to help you if you need it. The workload is varied and helps to keep you from getting bored doing just one thing.

The downside is that work is too project-code driven and there is too much pressure for employees to have enough projects to fill their timecards.
great place to work
Research Scientist III (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAAugust 2, 2018
I had a great time and career improvement during my tenure in PNNL, the management showed great carings to employee, a great teamwork environment. I feel regretful of leaving my job there
Lab under cutbacks
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 8, 2018
The lab I joined was undergoing cutbacks, and nearly all members have moved on to positions elsewhere.The stability of the funding sources available to your lab have a great impact on the job quality.
Great Place to work, Richland is a bit boring
Technical Intern Level III (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMay 17, 2018
PNNL is a wonderful lab with an easy hiring process and a calm environment with friendly faculty. Richland is a bit boring, other than the fantastic nature and hikes within a few hours drive. A very calm place.
Great Place to work, Smaller than expected
Technical Intern Level III (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMay 17, 2018
PNNL is a fantastic place. I enjoyed my time there and met some outstanding faculty. The Richland area is a bit boring though unless you like Hiking and car rides.
Pros
Friendly faculty, easy hiring process
Cons
Bad Travel reimbursment for interns
Progressive Environment with experienced developers
Tech Intern (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 24, 2018
I really enjoy working at PNNL as they provide opportunities to learn new skills, have experienced developers to get advice, and the work environment is relaxing.
Pros
Government Job, progressive, competive salary
Cons
Need to look for work to get funded
Used to be a great place to work. Senior technical staff that lose R&D funding are at risk for ROF.
Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 21, 2018
Management are part of the problem instead of the solution. PNNL used to encourage innovation and management was hands off and helpful when needed but work culture has changed. Would caution senior scientists applying to the lab unless they are brought in with long-term stable funding or management has committed to long-term investment in their technical area.
Great place for great science
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 17, 2018
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a great place to gain experience as a post-doc for a future carrier in science. The scope of work at the lab is extremely diverse and they have the equipment, staff, and expertise to support it all.
Pros
Great staff and facilities. Flexible work schedule. Rewarding work.
Cons
Difficult to transition from temporary to permenant position. Large overhead.
Pretty good place to work
Manger (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 13, 2018
PNNL us a good place to work. It has good benefits but those have declined significantly over the years. Salaries are not equitable across staff but are generally pretty good. The work can be very engaging and fulfilling or can be very stressful and rout. Project staff have to find their own work at all times.
Pros
benefits, salaries
Cons
often on your own
Great work environment
Modeling and Analysis Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 11, 2018
Loved my time there. Worked as a student intern for a summer. During my stay I worked on many projects. Everyone was super nice and fun to be around with which made going to work that much easier.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Northwest National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about