Pacific Northwest National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Lab under cutbacks
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 8, 2018
The lab I joined was undergoing cutbacks, and nearly all members have moved on to positions elsewhere.The stability of the funding sources available to your lab have a great impact on the job quality.
Great Place to work, Smaller than expected
Technical Intern Level III (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMay 17, 2018
PNNL is a fantastic place. I enjoyed my time there and met some outstanding faculty. The Richland area is a bit boring though unless you like Hiking and car rides.
Pros
Friendly faculty, easy hiring process
Cons
Bad Travel reimbursment for interns
Progressive Environment with experienced developers
Tech Intern (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 24, 2018
I really enjoy working at PNNL as they provide opportunities to learn new skills, have experienced developers to get advice, and the work environment is relaxing.
Pros
Government Job, progressive, competive salary
Cons
Need to look for work to get funded
Used to be a great place to work. Senior technical staff that lose R&D funding are at risk for ROF.
Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 21, 2018
Management are part of the problem instead of the solution. PNNL used to encourage innovation and management was hands off and helpful when needed but work culture has changed. Would caution senior scientists applying to the lab unless they are brought in with long-term stable funding or management has committed to long-term investment in their technical area.
Great place for great science
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 17, 2018
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a great place to gain experience as a post-doc for a future carrier in science. The scope of work at the lab is extremely diverse and they have the equipment, staff, and expertise to support it all.
Pros
Great staff and facilities. Flexible work schedule. Rewarding work.
Cons
Difficult to transition from temporary to permenant position. Large overhead.
Pretty good place to work
Manger (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 13, 2018
PNNL us a good place to work. It has good benefits but those have declined significantly over the years. Salaries are not equitable across staff but are generally pretty good. The work can be very engaging and fulfilling or can be very stressful and rout. Project staff have to find their own work at all times.
Pros
benefits, salaries
Cons
often on your own
Great work environment
Modeling and Analysis Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAApril 11, 2018
Loved my time there. Worked as a student intern for a summer. During my stay I worked on many projects. Everyone was super nice and fun to be around with which made going to work that much easier.
Positive work experience
Physical Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 19, 2018
Very interesting place to work, strong work life balance. Working at the lab has provided me opportunities to travel and gain valuable experience working in diverse situations.
Pros
Great employer
Cons
Location of lab
excellent
Tech Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 18, 2018
I worked through a rigorous 10-week summer internship within the Biological Sciences Division. I designed and implemented genome based taxonomic classification. I also took advantage of recently published methods and built upon existing prototypes written in python to deliver a command line interface application to the scientific community.
Good people but not compelling work
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMarch 2, 2018
I am somewhat ambivalent regarding my time at PNNL as a contractor for the Department of Energy working in the appliance standards development team. The benefits were wonderful and the pay was great, the management was supportive for the most part, but the work itself was not compelling and the location left much to be desired as there is very little cultural development in Richland, WA. For an Indian American with ties to India, the location of my employment left much to be desired.
A brief summary of my previous internship experience at PNNL
PhD Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAFebruary 27, 2018
I did this internship at PNNL from Jun to Aug in 2016. During this period, I was asked to develop a web application integrating multiple public datasets and displayed them in a meaningful way which facilitates the process of data analytics for domain experts. I teamed up with two other interns to implement this web application. I was working at the backend while the other two focused on the frontend side.

In general, it was nice working there. My host cared about his interns very much and was resourceful every time when we had some problems regarding how to proceed with the project. I also learned a lot about how to collaborate with colleagues of different backgrounds, which I think is very important.

The hardest part of this project is that at the very beginning, the customer who provided the funding for this internship program did not really have a very clear idea about what they really wanted us to deliver. It took us a while to communicate with them to determine what we should implement for this project.
productive and fun workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAFebruary 23, 2018
productive and fun workplace in PNNL
have enough source for science research
large work space for each person
tri-city is a good and peace place for living
Decent place to work
Physical Security Specialist (Lead) (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAFebruary 20, 2018
Decent place to work - long hours and a lot of travel. Spent over 30 weeks away on business travel annually. Pay was less than average for the position and limited room for advancement within the company.
Positive and educational employment experience
Technical Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAFebruary 13, 2018
The culture at PNNL was very safe and positive which allowed me to grow as a scientist. The staff was very talented and was willing to collaborate on projects.
Great Place to Work
Tech Data Analyst/Programmer (intern) (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDFebruary 8, 2018
Nice bosses and team members. The work schedule is very flexible. There are always new and exciting challenges to tackle, which add to the fun of being at work.
Great Workplace with Excellent Research and Resources
Department of Energy Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at PNNL and was given a lot of responsibility for an intern. I learned a lot while there, and the work was fun.

My only qualm with it is the location. Richland can be very boring, so if you're young, it's probably not the place you want to be.
Pros
Exciting work
Cons
Poor location
Good place to learn and then move on
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 16, 2018
Overhead too high so cost of doing research is very high especially for senior scientists. It is a good place for students to learn and do research. OK place for postdoc to publish papers. Bad place if you want any advancement from there. Hiring decisions are not merit based.
Pros
Facilities, good salary for postdocs
Cons
bureaucracy, rampant nepotism, lack of advancement opportunity
Enjoyable Environment
TECH STUDENT IV (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 4, 2018
Pacific Northwest Nation Laboratory has been a great place to work. I enjoyed fulfilling my internship here, and gained a lot of knowledge and experience.
Best!
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 3, 2018
If I didn't have to relocate, I would have worked there forever. So much room for advancement, they value training and collaboration, the staff are bright and amazing. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
traffic can be a little crazy
quiet and friendly location
Internship (Former Employee) –  Richland, WADecember 7, 2017
Only worked there for a few month. The environment is pretty quiet, small town in the wild. Many good research facilities, strong in chemistry and environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pacific Northwest National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Pacific Northwest National Laboratories Reviews by Location